Kidani, HRH & BLT in 6 nights- Yes! We are THAT crazy!! Nov 4-10,09 OBX updates 4/13

Joan! How was Christmas? I haven't talked to you in two whole days, I'm going through withdrawals!! :rotfl: Did Peter like his keggerator? Pods says his works just fine- at least it did all Christmas day! :rotfl: I think I see some Pilsner glasses in his future...

I love the idea of a keggerator. Tim loves his beer too. One of our upcoming summer trips involves are visit to a small brewery in New Ulm, MN.(very german) I would say if you are going to invest in beer glasses consider buying the ones that Sam Adams makes. Tim swears by them. Something about the shape of the glass and the etching on the bottom helps create a unique beer drinking experience. For me that would have been college--but that's another story...:rotfl2:

yes the concept of social stories are working. I thank you very much for that. :goodvibes I was sooo pleased to see Sean's smiling face. It is truly amazing how they can totally be banking on one thing and then go with the flow out of nowhere. Glad it all worked out.

BTW I never would have thought to put corn and chicken on a pizza.

subscribing

Thank-you! I hope you like it! :goodvibes

I LOVE those pictures of Sean smiling! Makes me want to cry! :sad1: SO sweet! And I LOVE the family photo of ALL of you in front of Spaceship Earth. I imagine it is really hard having to constantly be worried about how he is going to react, but I imagine it's just as difficult when he's not there...like your family isn't complete. All the worrying and meltdowns must be worth it for the moments you had with Sean this day in Epcot!

Just out of curiousity, how do the younger boys handle it all? I'm sure it must be frustrating for them at times, to have to wait around or plan your next move around him. I am glad that you and the boys went into Epcot when Sean wouldn't. As much as I'm sure they'd understand, it wouldn't be fair to them to leave and THANK GOD it worked out and Sean went in after all! Seems like you and Pods are a great team! :thumbsup2

hey Nikki! It IS like our family isn't complete when Sean isn't there. But there are a lot of things that he just wouldn't want to do, or that would be impossible for him to do, and we don't ever want the other 2 to miss out because of him and his needs. So we constantly try to find a happy balance. Our boys handle having an autistic brother really well, I think. What you described is very accurate, it can be frustrating for them at times. But, fortunately, they are both able to empathize with him, and they both are protective of him and in general want him to be happy. It probably makes a BIG difference that they are younger- he has been there always for them. And they are really, really good kids. They aren't without issues- don't get me wrong, but they are really, really kind and thoughtful where Sean is concerned. When we were on this vacation (or even when we were getting ready for this by staying in hotels) they knew Sean's needs came first, and that THAT was what was most important. They speak to him gently and calmly when he is upset, they try to find things to make him happy if he is sad. They also know that we go on vacations WITHOUT Sean, and that this is their time to be most important- and how lucky we all are to have the luxury of that break.

We are all very blessed.:grouphug:

Wooo-hoo, another Ellen TR!!:woohoo: I just made my way here, and I am so enjoying it already! I am soooo very happy that you guys were able to get Sean to come along on this trip--I can only imagine how much this meant to you. You guys are wonderful parents...seeing what you go through just to coach him out of his fears is truly amazing. I can't wait to read more!!

Awww...thanks! And I'm so happy you've joined in again!! :banana: And thanks for sharing our joy over Sean. :goodvibes I'll post the next installmaent when I figure out how to hook upthe scanner I got for Christmas- I have some old pics I want to include in the next post.:rolleyes1

Beautiful family photo at Epcot! Sean looks so happy to be at WDW! :goodvibes

Thanks! We actually used a photopass version for our Christmas card this year because it all meant soooooo much. :lovestruc When I made those shirts in HHI a year and a half ago, I started out making 4- for our cruise, that Sean wouldn't be coming on. I ended up smacking myself in my head as soon as I was done, because I hoped that SOMEDAY he would travel with us again (when we were in HHI that time, it was when he wouldn't go to sleep away camp, it was VERY traumatic, and we were just feeling kind of low at that point). The HHI CMs graciously let me make another shirt, and so the fact that it was made with hope, when we really had none, but that the hope became a reality that day...well, it was just very meaningful. :littleangel:

Oh Ellen -

Your last two updates were stellar and your comments about the trip being such a success for Sean just gets me choked up. He does look so seriously happy. And I love that group photo of you guys in your beautiful tied dyed shirts. :thumbsup2 That is one awesome pics. One to have framed and display proudly.

Your pics are Kidani make me wish I was there right now. I loved that place! I can't wait to read what happens next!

Anyway, we were deciding what to do next, and I called Pods to see how it was going....guess what? They were IN EPCOT!! :yay:

A few minutes into the wait, it was announced that TT was having technical difficulties, and we should come back later. Uh-oh....this is the perfect situation for a melt down....but...Sean was fine.

I guess this might sound like a "bust", being that he was saying no to so many attractions. But it is actually the opposite of a "bust", this was all a huge success. Because look at him- he was somewhere other than our house or his school, and he was happy. So, SO happy!

Woo hoo! :yay: You must have been bursting with excitement about how well Sean was adapting to your schedule changes! :hug:

You all are wonder with Sean. I am a mom of a 19yr autistic son so I truly understand how hard it can be when they decide they won't do something or when meltdowns occur. When my son was younger the only way to get him to do something so different was long term preparation and following the plan we gave him. I am so happy that Sean was able to adapt to the changes and you were all able to enjoy your day. You have a beautiful family.

I have enjoyed reading all of your trip reports and have really been looking forward to this one. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences in such detail with us all!

Hi I just read your and Pods trip report for the Food and Wine Festival. It was fun hearing about all the different rides, restaurants, and golf! I remember a TR you did a long time ago, and I think Sean stayed at home, while you took your younger sons. I'm so glad to hear he got on the plane, got checked in the the resort, had lunch, etc.

I know I'm drawing out all the steps, but our younger dd is 4 and has ASD. Sometimes I feel like our lives are divided into these tiny little milestones, like going to McDonald's for lunch, and not having a meltdown. Our last trip to Orlando was less than magical, so I'm trying to look for good ideas to make the trip this summer go better.

I love that you guys did lots of practice stays at local hotels back home. And that you made him a picture book. Please keep sharing the ideas that worked!!:goodvibes

I love the idea of a keggerator. Tim loves his beer too. One of our upcoming summer trips involves are visit to a small brewery in New Ulm, MN.(very german) I would say if you are going to invest in beer glasses consider buying the ones that Sam Adams makes. Tim swears by them. Something about the shape of the glass and the etching on the bottom helps create a unique beer drinking experience. For me that would have been college--but that's another story...:rotfl2:

yes the concept of social stories are working. I thank you very much for that. :goodvibes I was sooo pleased to see Sean's smiling face. It is truly amazing how they can totally be banking on one thing and then go with the flow out of nowhere. Glad it all worked out.

BTW I never would have thought to put corn and chicken on a pizza.

Hi Laura! Thanks for the beer glass advice- I'll have to make sure I get them in time for Valentine's Day. :) Soooo...you had a unique drinking experience in college, HMMMMMMMM???? Would love to hear all about THAT sometime! :rotfl2:

Glad the social stories are working! And I was happy to see Sean smiling, too, thanks. :goodvibes

FWIW, corn on pizza is pretty good!:thumbsup2

Oh Ellen -

Your last two updates were stellar and your comments about the trip being such a success for Sean just gets me choked up. He does look so seriously happy. And I love that group photo of you guys in your beautiful tied dyed shirts. :thumbsup2 That is one awesome pics. One to have framed and display proudly.

Your pics are Kidani make me wish I was there right now. I loved that place! I can't wait to read what happens next!

Hi Mary Ellen!! Sorry for making you cry! It was a very good trip, though. :thumbsup2 I'm going to post our Christmas card in a minute with the Photopass version of the tshirt pic. :goodvibes

And we LOVED Kidani, too! It was so peaceful and relaxing, we hated to leave.

Woo hoo! :yay: You must have been bursting with excitement about how well Sean was adapting to your schedule changes! :hug:

Yes! Absolutely BURSTING!!:goodvibes

You all are wonder with Sean. I am a mom of a 19yr autistic son so I truly understand how hard it can be when they decide they won't do something or when meltdowns occur. When my son was younger the only way to get him to do something so different was long term preparation and following the plan we gave him. I am so happy that Sean was able to adapt to the changes and you were all able to enjoy your day. You have a beautiful family.

I have enjoyed reading all of your trip reports and have really been looking forward to this one. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences in such detail with us all!

Hi Sweetspot- nice to meet you! You're right, you do truly understand what I'm talking about! I think the long term prep is key to getting Sean (and so many others) to step beyond their comfort zone. Is your son much better with transitions now that he's older? I'd love to hear about whatever helps him, too. :)

Thank-you for taking the time to say hello!!

Hi I just read your and Pods trip report for the Food and Wine Festival. It was fun hearing about all the different rides, restaurants, and golf! I remember a TR you did a long time ago, and I think Sean stayed at home, while you took your younger sons. I'm so glad to hear he got on the plane, got checked in the the resort, had lunch, etc.

I know I'm drawing out all the steps, but our younger dd is 4 and has ASD. Sometimes I feel like our lives are divided into these tiny little milestones, like going to McDonald's for lunch, and not having a meltdown. Our last trip to Orlando was less than magical, so I'm trying to look for good ideas to make the trip this summer go better.

I love that you guys did lots of practice stays at local hotels back home. And that you made him a picture book. Please keep sharing the ideas that worked!!:goodvibes

Hi Kristen! I have written a bunch of TRs on here since I signed on 2 years ago, and this is the first one where Sean is one of the "characters". I'm happy you've liked them! Thanks for sharing our happiness over his "steps". :goodvibes I will try to think of all the things that made it better for him this time. As well as those that did not. You're right to celebrate all those tiny little milestones in your DD's life, they mean an awful lot!

So, since so many people have commented on the tshirts, I thought I'd give a little backround and show our Christmas card this year (that was with the Photopass photo). I also posted this info in a response to someone else in the thread, so if you've already read this and I'm boring you I apologize! :flower3:

When we went to HHI 2 summers ago, Sean was not in a good place. That week he was supposed to go to sleepaway camp (that he had been to before, and loved) while we drove down to the Disney resort in HHI to meet family for 5 days. Well, Sean wouldn't get out of the van. And no cajoling, pleading or begging could change his mind. He was staying in the car, he wanted to go home. It was really, really horrible. A definite lowpoint in our autism adventure with Sean. Anyway, Sheree & Henry came at a moment's notice to stay with Sean (God Bless them, if I haven't said that enough) and the rest of us were on our way. Sad, disillusioned and frustrated, but on our way.

That week I made 4 Mickey Tie-Dyes for us to wear on the Disney Cruise we were taking in November (without Sean). As SOON as I finished, I realized :idea: I should have made one for Sean, too, even if he wasn't going on the cruise. DOH! After all, I did hope that SOMEDAY we would be able to get him to go to WDW with us again. Even if right at that point, none of us were too hopeful it would ever happen again. Well, of course the Cms let me make another one....

So, that we are all wearing the tshirts together, in WDW, and the tshirts were made with only a glimmer of hope, and the hope became reality that day- well, it really was just very, very meaningful. Happy New Year, everyone-

img001.jpg

Loving your tr. That is SO wonderful that Sean had so many successes this trip.

My granddaughter has autism (along with a million other things) and I think her difficuties have taught me a new appreciation for the "little things" that we so called 'normal' people take for granted. You're doing a great job!

Ahhhh...Club Cool...well known to DISers as the place you take people who AREN'T DISers to have a refreshing beverage called the Beverly. :crazy2: It never disappoints! :rotfl: Karajeboo's DD Ally did it to Pods back in September-

2009_100106summer0290-1.jpg

That photo never gets old- that's the second time I've posted it today!! :rotfl2: Anyway, on this trip there was only one shot for some Club Cool fun, my DS12, Tyler. I have posted these on facebook, and my friends have actually said, "I can't believe you did that to your baby!!" I'd like to show you, first, the baby to which they are referring...on his first trip to WDW, at 5 1/2 mos old (Sean was 3 1/2)-

His first Character meet- looks like I enjoyed torturing the little guy at an early age!!
img003.jpg

First time at Stormalong Bay with Daddy-
img004.jpg

At his first MK parade-
img002.jpg

And at LTT with a certain Mouse who wanted to take him home with her!
img005.jpg

Aren't baby boys great?? Ohh...I hate that they grow so fast. Except, it is nice that you can do so many fun things with them as they grow- like take them to Club Cool for a refreshing sodie-pop!! :rotfl: It's fun for the whole family!

Look kids!! It's Coca Cola from around the world!! Let's go Italian today!
2009_111006summer0025.jpg

What THE????
2009_111006summer0026.jpg

2009_111006summer0027.jpg

2009_111006summer0028.jpg

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: Well, looks like Club Cool is NOT fun for the WHOLE family!! :rotfl: After we all caught our breath from laughing so hard, we walked back across the park to go on TT...

2009_111006summer0030.jpg

2009_111006summer0034.jpg

Which was STILL having technical difficulties! Oh no! But Sean was still happy, so the other boys went to ride MS while Sean & I waited outside, Sean once again having the joy of running amuck in Epcot-

2009_111006summer0031.jpg

2009_111006summer0037.jpg

2009_111006summer0036.jpg

THIS- the allowing him space in places that weren't super crowded. and being able to let him burn off energy- THIS is one of the things that made this trip a success for Sean. When the boys came out of MS, it was time for us to head over to the Biergarten for dinner. But first, a quick stop to cool off-

2009_111006summer0038.jpg

2009_111006summer0040.jpg

I guess my boys can never pass up an opportunity to get wet! Next up- A FINE dinner in Germany! WITH french fries!!:thumbsup2

Great Christmas Card! I love that - its perfect!

I also love that you posted some of your older photos. It's so fun to see the teenage/pre teen boys when they were babies. :grouphug:ahhhhhhh!

Sounds like the evening is still going really well in Epcot!

Ewwwwww - the beverly! I have to tell you that Denny actually likes it. When I saw him drinking he said, "what? What's wrong with it?" I got a good laugh out of that!

Great update!!!

It is sad how fast little boys grow up but if those shots of your DS12 are any indication, I'd say there is a LOT of fun coming up ! :lmao:

The expressions on his face were hilarious!

So glad you guys figured out a way to get Sean back to Disney and to get your group shot all in your tie dyes!!

:goodvibes

Loving your tr. That is SO wonderful that Sean had so many successes this trip.

My granddaughter has autism (along with a million other things) and I think her difficuties have taught me a new appreciation for the "little things" that we so called 'normal' people take for granted. You're doing a great job!

you sound like a great grandma, Lindababe!!! I think YOU are doing a great job!:hug: And thanks so much for reading along. :thumbsup2

Great Christmas Card! I love that - its perfect!

I also love that you posted some of your older photos. It's so fun to see the teenage/pre teen boys when they were babies. :grouphug:ahhhhhhh!

Sounds like the evening is still going really well in Epcot!

Ewwwwww - the beverly! I have to tell you that Denny actually likes it. When I saw him drinking he said, "what? What's wrong with it?" I got a good laugh out of that!

Thanks about the card- :goodvibes I'm really glad that you liked the old photos- as I said (SOMEWHERE....I'm losing track!) I didn't want to bore anyone...but...now that I have the scanner, all bets are off!!:rotfl: Really, I'm glad you could appreciate them as a Mom of always-growing-neverending-boys...:sad1::sad::sad::hug:

And...I am OK with the bev- I kind of thought Ty would maybe like it....OOOPS!!!! :rotfl:

Great update!!!

It is sad how fast little boys grow up but if those shots of your DD12 are any indication, I'd say there is a LOT of fun coming up ! :lmao:

The expressions on his face were hilarious!

So glad you guys figured out a way to get Sean back to Disney and to get your group shot all in your tie dyes!!

:goodvibes

Hi there, gellybean!

My DS12 is TOO much fun!!! He is a class clown kind of a guy- and i want to smush him with love and kisses every single second, much to his chagrin! He IS making the best of it, though! :lmao:

And yea- it was the best thing EVER that Sean came with us to Disney- it's the best place for our family to vacation in, there is no doubt!!:dance3::dance3:

You are too funny with the pics of Tyler. Excellent shots. Did he ever question why you were so "camera ready"? My 12 year old son would not have taken it as well, but it won't stop me from trying.:hug: It's those moments when we realize we did not have kids just to take care of them.;)

You are too funny with the pics of Tyler. Excellent shots. Did he ever question why you were so "camera ready"? My 12 year old son would not have taken it as well, but it won't stop me from trying.:hug: It's those moments when we realize we did not have kids just to take care of them.;)

Very well put! No, he really didn't ask about the camera in his face- he's used to me being all snap-happy all the time, so it must not have occured to him. I'm thinking he'll be more careful in the future, though, if that situation comes up again! :rotfl:

We took the boat over to the other side of WS (at my DH's request- we went on that boat the first time in September, and now I wonder if I'll ever get him or my kids to hoof-it again). The last time DH & I ate at Biergarten was waaaaaaaaaaayyyy back in 1985 when Pods brought me to WDW as a kind of a graduation present from college, I guess. I had never been before, and he thought that that was something that needed to be taken care of. :lovestruc ANyway, in case you were wondering, we ordered off of a menu and had a plate of what looked like baloney for $6.95! :rotfl: Here are some pics from the last time we were there, and from the EPCOT CENTER booklet- kind of cool to see, I just found this album this morning!

img008.jpg

img009.jpg

img010.jpg

Who wears short-shorts? Pods wears short shorts! :rotfl:
img006.jpg

Well, things have really changed in 24 years at WDW, huh? So in 2009, we walked up to the podium and got on line with all the others waiting to be seated for their ADRs. I asked if they had gotten notice that we had a member of our party who would need french fries for dinner. Nope. They knew nothing, it had not been noted anywhere. :sad2: This always happens, but usually we can get it straightened out. See, there is a # you can call prior to vacation for WDW dietary services if you have an allergy or a special diet- in our case, the special diet requires Sean eating french fries at restaurants that don't really serve them. I also filled out a form they had emailed to me. Although they always assure me that all the restaurants have french fries, they are wrong as all the restaurant employees will tell you. But the woman at the podium was so nice, she got the MGR. for us, who was also SO nice, and said it was not a problem, that they would send someone next door to the US restaurant to get Sean some fries. :thumbsup2 We waited outside, and Sean was getting a little tired. So he did what he has always done when he's tired at WDW-

"Say Daddy- Pick me up!"
2009_111006summer0041.jpg

Which was not really a problem, until now! Sean's gotten a little bit too big for being carried around by Daddy!! :rotfl: So they sat on a bench-

2009_111006summer0043.jpg

Before long, we were sitting for the buffet. It was really, really good!! AND the entertainment was excellent, all of us thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It is so pretty in there- really does feel like you're in a little German village during Octoberfest. We were very anxious to go here because there is alot of German in our family's heritage, so it was great for the kids to experience.

2009_111006summer0045-1.jpg

Pods & I ordered the beer sampler- LOVED this!!! The group of 3 who were seated with us were chefs from Mexico- they liked the looks of ours, so they got one, too!

2009_111006summer0047-1.jpg

2009_111006summer0050-1.jpg

Timmy was bopping to the music the whole night-

2009_111006summer0051-1.jpg

I think we were in the same seats we had in 1985! How crazy is that? Here's the 2009 pic-

2009_111006summer0054-1.jpg

Here's 1985, if you can make it out-
img007.jpg

Timmy having a grand old time-

2009_111006summer0052-1.jpg

I asked, but no one was willing to go up and dance the polka with me- which is pretty surprising from Timmy, because he is usually into that stuff. I think the troops were getting really tired.

2009_111006summer0057-1.jpg

This was a great first night, even Pods said so! I think it will have to become a tradition for us. So, we finished up, and we did what i have learned is the ONLY way to shop in WDW with my family. Send them back to the room, while I stay and spend some $$ by myself!! I needed to get a gift for Pods' Aunt Irma who we would be visiting later in the week, and I thought something from Germany would be nice-

2009_111006summer0059-1.jpg

Ummm... no, not that nice (I got her a cute cow bell to hang on her door). Then over to Japan for a Bonsai tree I had scoped out for her on our trip in Sept. On the way, I got to enjoy Billy Ocean performing "Caribbean Queen".

2009_111006summer0061-1.jpg

Then back to Kidani for....the last game of THE WORLD SERIES!!! But would we be able to stay up for it???? :rolleyes1

MMM, love that beer flight! I had one of those on our honeymoon...followed by a large Optimator (the darkest one on the flight) which then was followed by silly World Showcase pictures, if you remember!

Sounds like you all had a GREAT day! :thumbsup2

So, that we are all wearing the tshirts together, in WDW, and the tshirts were made with only a glimmer of hope, and the hope became reality that day- well, it really was just very, very meaningful. Happy New Year, everyone-

What a great story! :goodvibes Happy New Year!

:rotfl2: Bad mommy! :lmao:

Who wears short-shorts? Pods wears short shorts! :rotfl:
img006.jpg

:scared1: Does he know you posted this? :rolleyes1

I think we were in the same seats we had in 1985! How crazy is that? Here's the 2009 pic-

2009_111006summer0054-1.jpg

Here's 1985, if you can make it out-
img007.jpg

It really does look like you're in the same seat! Crazy!

I really enjoyed this update!

MMM, love that beer flight! I had one of those on our honeymoon...followed by a large Optimator (the darkest one on the flight) which then was followed by silly World Showcase pictures, if you remember!

Sounds like you all had a GREAT day! :thumbsup2

Oh yea...I DEFINITELY remember that day of your honeymoon TR...like I was there! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

What a great story! :goodvibes Happy New Year!

:rotfl2: Bad mommy! :lmao:

:scared1: Does he know you posted this? :rolleyes1

It really does look like you're in the same seat! Crazy!

I really enjoyed this update!

Happy New Year to you, too!! And yes, he knows i posted the pic- we were laughing at it this morning when I scanned it in. We figure it was the 80's- everyone was looking stupid!! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter