Kevin's Rant

HubbDave

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are
Just wanted to thank you for the display of emotion about the subject of ECVs and wheelchairs. Sometimes it pays to be angry if only to get people to notice

I really thought a lot about what you stated. That twitter nonsense notwithstanding.

I agree. While listening to the show, I was in tears...how can people be so inconsiderate! I was taking a break and listening on our back deck. When it was over, I went into our home office and told my dh that he needed to listen to this podcast. He doesn't listen regulary but loves the team and whenever I say, "you need to listen to this", he's on board. I know he will learn and appreciate what they are talking about.

You have all expanded my knowledge of people with disabilities, whether needing a wheelchair, ecv or not.

I have a dear sil who is paralyzed from the waist down, but through sheer determination and physical therapy she is able to walk with a cane, but only for short distances. The rest of time she needs an ecv, but since she looks healthy and can walk short distances, people give her grief. I can't even tell you all the rude comments she has endured, it's heartbreaking. She went rom running 3 miles every day (always) to being paralyzed in one weekend. So people, please don't judge.

Last edited:
I was so touched, and moved I wrote him an email.

I can NOT believe people act like this. The thing that he kept saying that hit home for me was to put yourself in the shoes of that person EVEN FOR A DAY. I hope listeners will go out of their way to make sure these things don't happen.

I was really glad that the team engaged in thoughtful discussion about ECVs, wheelchairs, disabilities and generally, the need to have respect and compassion for all fellow guests.

I am in a place in my life where I am working temporarily as Security personnel in a CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community). Plenty of folks with disabilities, wheelchairs, ECV's, etc. I really did try to make it a point to speak with the resident rather than just to their aide or family member visiting. Having read many of the Disney books on service and cast members, I find showmanship and the Disney difference important enough to use in my service oriented job here. I will now be even more conscious to what was discussed in this week's Podcast as I move forward.

Well I admir Kevin's passion and I respect that he knows what it is like to be in a park with someone in a wheelchair the part I don't agree with him when he says it is when he tells people, to do it for a day when there are people who do do it just to try and get ahead of others in lines. I don't personally judge why someone is one and don't have many day to day encounters with them but I would like to think that I would treat them with respect if I did.

(fixing bad spelling mistakes edited april 10 2015)

Last edited:

I could deeply empathize with what Kevin so eloquently explained. Had lots of friends in the past who needed ECV's, wheelchairs, etc. I also started needing an ECV myself more and more, especially to be able to "keep up", and make it through the very long days at the parks., never knowing when I was going to "hit the wall", and not be able to go any further. And my particular "issue" is not one that gets any better by simply sitting -matter of fact - that makes it worse. But - as has been stated - since I can walk short distances, or stand for periods of time (even though always painful, I make myself do it because/while I still CAN - VERY important and empowering for me personally!) - I faced more and more looks, comments, people "parking their packages" either on me (yes - ON me!) or on the basket of my ECV, standing in front of me (had somebody actually try to cut between me and my basket OVER the ECV!!!), cutting in front of and/or stopping short in front of me. I even deliberately parked the ECV and CHOSE to walk onto many things to either avoid the looks. comments, etc., or to make an entry easier for myself due to crowds, confusion about where to go, tight turns, etc. I also had to put up with many "fat and lazy" comments due to being a bigger person, and people ASSUMING that's why I need the ECV. So - as has already been stated - "it ain't all peaches and cream", and if you think it's easy - roll a mile in my shoes. And since most of the attractions have "mainstreamed" most of the "handicapped entrances" into the "regular lines" - any "perceived benefit" of "going to the front of the line" has been diminished anyway. And I'm glad that happened - with my stupid "heightened sense of guilt" bought on by people's ignorant comments, this made me feel "better" about what I was "getting away with". But - I'm sad to say - yes - they did make me feel that way, and I still am stupid and vulnerable enough to let them make me feel that way at times. I was also deeply touched (and yes - cried at work while watching on my lunch hour, prompting looks by co-workers, who ended up being touched themselves when I shared) by the statement JL read from the family with the child who passed away who endured the insensitive and monstrous comments/looks/etc. - not only for their personal tragedy, but by reliving many of those same horrible emotions and experiences through their words. The pain was visceral.

Last edited:
the aprt I don't agree with him when he says it is when he tells ple, to do it for a day when thee are pole who do do it. I don''t personally judge why someone is one and don't have many day to day encounters with them but I would like to think that I would treat them with respect if I did.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean or what it is that you disagree with, but as you can see from what others have posted, people in chairs and scooters are often mistreated, sneered at and disrespected.

This is often accompanied by rude comments about weight and using a chair/scooter just get to the front of the line.

As has been pointed out....this doesn't work as there is no benefit to using a chair/scooter. Almost everything at WDW has been mainstreamed and everyone waits in the same line.

I suggest that anyone who thinks that folks with mobility issues have an easier time of it to try it for a day and see how much LESS easy it really is to get around.

If you don't think this is true...then I dare you to try it.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean or what it is that you disagree with, but as you can see from what others have posted, people in chairs and scooters are often mistreated, sneered at and disrespected.

This is often accompanied by rude comments about weight and using a chair/scooter just get to the front of the line.

As has been pointed out....this doesn't work as there is no benefit to using a chair/scooter. Almost everything at WDW has been mainstreamed and everyone waits in the same line.
I personally don't like that either and think there is special place for people who think like that or treat any person with disrespect no mater what their ability is

I suggest that anyone who thinks that folks with mobility issues have an easier time of it to try it for a day and see how much LESS easy it really is to get around.

My thoughts are it just adds to the problem having poel using a wheelchair or scooter who doesn't need it you get poel who somehow think they deserve more respect or extra privileges. On other podcast I used to listen to they would bring up how it was more common in disneyland for teens to rent a wheelchair and use the "handicapped" line to get on the ride faster and would complain when there wasn't one.

My thoughts are more people complain about the use of wheelchairs and scooters at WDW then they do at home because they see them more often there then they do at home. For example here in Toronto we have brand new streetcars coming that have wheelchair ramps on them out of the few hundred times I've been on one of them since they debuted in august I've only seen the ramp used ones or twice. Not to say that disabled pole don't use them it's just that you don't see them every day. The same foes for buses and subways too. I don't always see them on it everyday, so I don't always think about them every day.

Well I admir Kevin's passion and I respect that he knows what it is like to be in a park with someone in a wheelchair the part I don't agree with him when he says it is when he tells people, to do it for a day when there are people who do do it just to try and get ahead of others in lines. I don't personally judge why someone is one and don't have many day to day encounters with them but I would like to think that I would treat them with respect if I did.

(fixing bad spelling mistakes edited april 10 2015)

This really is THE point - there is no benefit to using an ECV: You don't get to ride ANY SOONER, you don't get a better seat (most times it's in the very back), you do get on the bus first BUT YOU GET OFF LAST! You can't see anything but peoples butts, people call you names, say things about you that you wouldn't believe, and treat you like you're lazy, ugly, and a waste of oxygen, food and water. None of my illnesses are visible, but I'd gladly trade away my constant pain from osteo and rheumatoid arthritis, my exhaustion from my still working but failing kidneys, Sjogren's Syndrome, anemia, and immunodeficiency disease (CVID). But, they just see me as overweight and lazy and have no problem openly treating me that way.

What I don't understand is where civility in our society went. I don't think people always treated each other so poorly. But it has been this way for some time. I had surgery about 20 years ago and was on crutches, and you can't imagine the number of people who wouldn't open doors, or would just let them close in my face. I use a manual wheelchair here at home, and again, people will go out of their way to walk around my chair to open a door and go in, but not hold it open for me. It still floors me every time.

This really is THE point - there is no benefit to using an ECV: You don't get to ride ANY SOONER, you don't get a better seat (most times it's in the very back), you do get on the bus first BUT YOU GET OFF LAST! You can't see anything but peoples butts, people call you names, say things about you that you wouldn't believe, and treat you like you're lazy, ugly, and a waste of oxygen, food and water. None of my illnesses are visible, but I'd gladly trade away my constant pain from osteo and rheumatoid arthritis, my exhaustion from my still working but failing kidneys, Sjogren's Syndrome, anemia, and immunodeficiency disease (CVID). But, they just see me as overweight and lazy and have no problem openly treating me that way.

What I don't understand is where civility in our society went. I don't think people always treated each other so poorly. But it has been this way for some time. I had surgery about 20 years ago and was on crutches, and you can't imagine the number of people who wouldn't open doors, or would just let them close in my face. I use a manual wheelchair here at home, and again, people will go out of their way to walk around my chair to open a door and go in, but not hold it open for me. It still floors me every time.
Jenni - Let me please apologize to you for all the cretins who never will. :(

Jenni - I am so sorry you have to not only deal with your health issues but ignorant people. I can't imagine people behaving that way! I guess I live in a bubble and need to pay closer attention, I definitely don't ever want to be guilty of that type of behavior. If I see that type of behavior, I will try (I'm very non-aggressive) to call people on it. Hugs to you!

Jenni - I am so sorry you have to not only deal with your health issues but ignorant people. I can't imagine people behaving that way! I guess I live in a bubble and need to pay closer attention, I definitely don't ever want to be guilty of that type of behavior. If I see that type of behavior, I will try (I'm very non-aggressive) to call people on it. Hugs to you!

Maybe it's my 'Southern'-ness, maybe it's my age (sometimes I do hear my grandmother's voice coming out of my mouth, but @ 56 I'm not ancient yet!), but it does seem like Disney tends to bring out a lot of people's inner redneck. Between the heat, the lines, all the walking and exhaustion, and spending all that money, I can understand how it happens. Everybody wants to get the most out of their vacation, and people resent it when they feel like someone is getting special treatment. People see ECV's and WC's go in a different way to one of the rides and think, "Oh! They're going to the front of the line! CHEATERS!!!" They see us getting on the bus first and think, "CHEATERS!" They don't stick around to think about when we get off the bus, or wait to see when we actually got on a ride.

MANY, many people, most everyone, just ignores us and gets on with their own vacations, and that's exactly what they should be doing (though holding that door open now and again would be OK :)). When folks like me complain, I'm sure we make it sound worse than it is, because the jerks make us feel that way - they stand out in my memories of every trip. I try not to let them, but they do. And I'm not a shrinking violet! I can be extremely strong-willed, but they can still get to me.

Anyway - thanks so much for the support. We appreciate it, all of us who travel on wheels, with sticks, and use assistance of all various sorts. :grouphug:

I really can't believe it's an issue to begin with?? Why is it even an issue for someone handicapped to feel this way when they get assistance or maybe a 5 minute gap ahead of you in a line???

I guess the whole exposure of the horrible abuse of the old system really has people offended and on guard as that was scummy to do.

everyone has already posted why Kevin's rant we much appreciated

having cared for my terminally ill father who eventually ended up in a wheelchair ....I can also say I have experienced everything Kevin spoke about
he had cancer and many other illness...and he withered away to weighing 85 pounds and was not able to walk or stand.

it's no fun to push anyone around in one

and still to this day I'm flabbergasted by peoples reactions to him while in the chair...when we would take him out for outings.
Not only did people make funny looks...but the amount of people with the guts to come up to you and tell why on earth would you bring someone like that here. etc
I could write for days

Just to get him ready for an outing was almost an 2 hour process
and I quickly learned the world is not built for those with disabilities.
Those who care for or know anyone with a disability certainly knows what I'm talking about

Kevin it's much appropriated that you stand up to those who just lack basic human interaction skills
your not alone on this fight

I knew DH would appreciate this podcast, so while sitting together on our backporch (just chilling) I played it for him. We were both in tears and, once again, felt we learned so much. Thank you podcast team for bringing this to everone's attention.

I'll admit that years and years ago I may have been one of those jerks who got a little upset on the inside when an ECV rolled up to a bus. That said, Pete, John and Kevin have been saying the same message over and over for years now and I know it hit home with me and I took it to heart. Especially the part about being thankful for my health and that I don't need to use an ECV. It doesn't mean I don't accidentally cut in front of somebody on an ECV while walking through the park because I have terrible spatial issues. I don't mean to do it. I do know that I'm very cognizant of making sure I'm not standing in front of ECVs when I'm at attractions, and I no longer care how many ECVs roll up to a bus stop. I'm just thankful I'm able to stand and walk without any real problems. Guess that means the podcast crew should continue to bring the subject up because it does get through to some of us.

I'll admit that years and years ago I may have been one of those jerks who got a little upset on the inside when an ECV rolled up to a bus. That said, Pete, John and Kevin have been saying the same message over and over for years now and I know it hit home with me and I took it to heart. Especially the part about being thankful for my health and that I don't need to use an ECV. It doesn't mean I don't accidentally cut in front of somebody on an ECV while walking through the park because I have terrible spatial issues. I don't mean to do it. I do know that I'm very cognizant of making sure I'm not standing in front of ECVs when I'm at attractions, and I no longer care how many ECVs roll up to a bus stop. I'm just thankful I'm able to stand and walk without any real problems. Guess that means the podcast crew should continue to bring the subject up because it does get through to some of us.
Lugnut - Thank you for your eloquent post, and for your enlightened and well-stated attitude. I definitely feel your sincerity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter