Kevin's Rant

I'll admit that years and years ago I may have been one of those jerks who got a little upset on the inside when an ECV rolled up to a bus. That said, Pete, John and Kevin have been saying the same message over and over for years now and I know it hit home with me and I took it to heart. Especially the part about being thankful for my health and that I don't need to use an ECV. It doesn't mean I don't accidentally cut in front of somebody on an ECV while walking through the park because I have terrible spatial issues. I don't mean to do it. I do know that I'm very cognizant of making sure I'm not standing in front of ECVs when I'm at attractions, and I no longer care how many ECVs roll up to a bus stop. I'm just thankful I'm able to stand and walk without any real problems. Guess that means the podcast crew should continue to bring the subject up because it does get through to some of us.

Can you see my huge smile from here?:yay:

Thank you.

This made my day.

I'll admit that years and years ago I may have been one of those jerks who got a little upset on the inside when an ECV rolled up to a bus. That said, Pete, John and Kevin have been saying the same message over and over for years now and I know it hit home with me and I took it to heart. Especially the part about being thankful for my health and that I don't need to use an ECV. It doesn't mean I don't accidentally cut in front of somebody on an ECV while walking through the park because I have terrible spatial issues. I don't mean to do it. I do know that I'm very cognizant of making sure I'm not standing in front of ECVs when I'm at attractions, and I no longer care how many ECVs roll up to a bus stop. I'm just thankful I'm able to stand and walk without any real problems. Guess that means the podcast crew should continue to bring the subject up because it does get through to some of us.

Thank you, for stating so eloquently how Dh and I feel. We have been educated by the podcast team, in so many ways and we're very thankful that we have learned to look at things with a much more open mind. We have learned so much from the podcast team...Thank You.

I just started downloading and listening to old podcast episodes for the first time. I discovered the podcast after Bob was gone and decided it was time to listen to some of those earlier shows to fill in my podcast history.

I started with the 7/25/06 show. Imagine my surprise when one topic was asking everyone about their pet peeves in the park. Bob's pet peeve? People walking in front of electric scooters or wheelchairs and folks generally disregarding disabled guests. How ironic that we are still talking about this very same topic 9 years later. So if anyone was thinking that this was a new problem, clearly it is not. It's been going on for a long time. I suspect it has probably gotten worse as the parks have gotten more crowded and more and more disabled guests are present using ECVs and wheelchairs, which means we need to be even more cognizant of our surroundings and make that extra effort to be respectful and accommodating. As Kathy likes to say, pack your patience. It's not all about you.

I just started downloading and listening to old podcast episodes for the first time. I discovered the podcast after Bob was gone and decided it was time to listen to some of those earlier shows to fill in my podcast history.

I started with the 7/25/06 show. Imagine my surprise when one topic was asking everyone about their pet peeves in the park. Bob's pet peeve? People walking in front of electric scooters or wheelchairs and folks generally disregarding disabled guests. How ironic that we are still talking about this very same topic 9 years later. So if anyone was thinking that this was a new problem, clearly it is not. It's been going on for a long time. I suspect it has probably gotten worse as the parks have gotten more crowded and more and more disabled guests are present using ECVs and wheelchairs, which means we need to be even more cognizant of our surroundings and make that extra effort to be respectful and accommodating. As Kathy likes to say, pack your patience. It's not all about you.
Thanx, I'll have to listen to this show. Kinda sad people have not learned much manners in almost a decade. Saw you on the Richmond podcast, nice to put a face to the name, and sounded like a nice "one day @ WDW". :)

Saw you on the Richmond podcast, nice to put a face to the name, and sounded like a nice "one day @ WDW". :)
Ooh, I'm famous! Thanks. It's always fun to participate in the meets and in the podcast recordings. You may get to see me again from the NJ meet next weekend.

Ooh, I'm famous! Thanks. It's always fun to participate in the meets and in the podcast recordings. You may get to see me again from the NJ meet next weekend.
Too bad we won't get to meet, I'd love to attend a meet some day, and meet other Dis'ers, and the podcast team, plus a chance to support GKTW even more than I do currently. And I'm from Bergen County, so NJ Meet would have been perfect. Unfortunately budgeting concerns, and not driving to be able to attend all the events on a "meet weekend" have kept me from it to this point. I had even considered the DE meet, since I might retire there in the future. Maybe someday......:)

May I ask which podcast date this was so I may listen? I have many issues that cause me problems in the park and get rude comments thrown at me because I look perfectly healthy.

May I ask which podcast date this was so I may listen? I have many issues that cause me problems in the park and get rude comments thrown at me because I look perfectly healthy.
It is the 4/7/15 show. About 5-6 minutes in

I reay hope that people can be more considerate. No one ever wishes to use a wheelchair or ECV. I consider myself lucky that no one in my close family needs one

The show DisneySteve was referring to was 7/25/06. The one in which "Kevin's Rant" took place was the 4/7/15 show. I'm sorry for all the comments and stares you face, and hope that will be vastly minimized your next visit! :(

It is the 4/7/15 show. About 5-6 minutes in

I reay hope that people can be more considerate. No one ever wishes to use a wheelchair or ECV. I consider myself lucky that no one in my close family needs one

The show DisneySteve was referring to was 7/25/06. The one in which "Kevin's Rant" took place was the 4/7/15 show. I'm sorry for all the comments and stares you face, and hope that will be vastly minimized your next visit! :(

Thanks to both of you for the nice comments and the reply with the date of the podcast. I don't use a wheelchair/ECV yet, but walk very slowly sometimes, having issues with my joints and legs from old sports injuries (skating) and an immune disorder. The comments and stares I have gotten when not getting up to let others sit on the bus etc are just sad.

Edited to add: my mom is handicapped with 3 types of arthritis and has to use a walker/cane and on the next trip an ECV and I am so saddened and disgusted by the way she is treated and talked to by other park guests.

Hugs to your Mom! I'm sure in addition to the spiritual and emotional pain of others inhumanity, it must be physically painful as well, and sitting so much may not help. Like I've said, my issues are made worse by so much sitting, and it hurts to walk, so you just deal with it, and enjoy as much as you can!!

Too bad we won't get to meet, I'd love to attend a meet some day, and meet other Dis'ers, and the podcast team, plus a chance to support GKTW even more than I do currently. And I'm from Bergen County, so NJ Meet would have been perfect. Unfortunately budgeting concerns, and not driving to be able to attend all the events on a "meet weekend" have kept me from it to this point. I had even considered the DE meet, since I might retire there in the future. Maybe someday......:)
That's too bad. Bridgewater isn't far at all. Maybe next year. I'll be at Delaware too hopefully. It would be great if you could get to one of the future meets. They are a lot of fun and you meet some great people.

Kind of ashamed to admit, but I had a similar reaction on my first trip that we stayed on property. It was a late afternoon/early evening, the bus line was already extremely long, the parks were pretty busy and a family with a member in a wheel chair came up just as the bus was arriving and it was like the largest extended family ever came running to get on the bus with the wheel chair. I at first was a little annoyed that we had been standing in line and ended up waiting even longer. I was much younger at the time and admit it took me a little time to realized how grateful I should be to have the ability to stand there, to not need a chair and the family deserved to all stay together; but it eventually dawned on me. :idea:

When I think back on this line of thinking I get mad a myself for ever thinking that way. How dare I? What gave me the right to think I could be better than someone else? I think this drives me now to be vocal and not afraid to stand up for people in the situation of being in a chair. Which led me to having a huge twitter debate with someone that Kevin originally was debating with. I was so mad and just wanted to say nasty things to him! :headache:

Kind of ashamed to admit, but I had a similar reaction on my first trip that we stayed on property. It was a late afternoon/early evening, the bus line was already extremely long, the parks were pretty busy and a family with a member in a wheel chair came up just as the bus was arriving and it was like the largest extended family ever came running to get on the bus with the wheel chair. I at first was a little annoyed that we had been standing in line and ended up waiting even longer. I was much younger at the time and admit it took me a little time to realized how grateful I should be to have the ability to stand there, to not need a chair and the family deserved to all stay together; but it eventually dawned on me. :idea:

When I think back on this line of thinking I get mad a myself for ever thinking that way. How dare I? What gave me the right to think I could be better than someone else? I think this drives me now to be vocal and not afraid to stand up for people in the situation of being in a chair. Which led me to having a huge twitter debate with someone that Kevin originally was debating with. I was so mad and just wanted to say nasty things to him! :headache:
Aaaah - but at least you have the courage to admit you felt that way, and also the wisdom to know it was wrong, and to have learned from that, and feel totally differently now - that's a HUGE difference between you and the "other idiots" who never will! <wink>

Not to be un-PC, but there are times when the guest in the ECV/WC isn't so innocent. When we went to Disney with my MIL who rented an ECV in EPCOT, she was hell on wheels. She was banging into people, clipping people's heels, not looking before backing up, and generally causing havoc. As far as she was concerned, everybody needed to get out of her way - despite the fact that ECVs are silent and people can't hear them coming up behind them. My wife and I spent more time apologizing to other guests than we did enjoying our time in the park. :oops:

Not to be un-PC, but there are times when the guest in the ECV/WC isn't so innocent. When we went to Disney with my MIL who rented an ECV in EPCOT, she was hell on wheels. She was banging into people, clipping people's heels, not looking before backing up, and generally causing havoc. As far as she was concerned, everybody needed to get out of her way - despite the fact that ECVs are silent and people can't hear them coming up behind them. My wife and I spent more time apologizing to other guests than we did enjoying our time in the park. :oops:
Oh - I most assuredly agree! Like the pedestrians (like myself) who aren't "good pedestrians" now that the "crosswalk laws" are being upgraded and enforced!! Common sense and courtesy go BOTH ways, for SURE!!

Thank you, for stating so eloquently how Dh and I feel. We have been educated by the podcast team, in so many ways and we're very thankful that we have learned to look at things with a much more open mind. We have learned so much from the podcast team...Thank You.

These three posts made me smile. Bravo to you all for having the courage to admit how you once felt in this situation. What a wonderful thing to come out of this all!!!

I was happy to hear others voice the concern. My Mom recently had back fusion surgery but she wasn't about to miss her grandson's first birthday at Magic Kingdom. She really wanted to watch the fireworks but she was already nervous about getting used to the ECV and the way people were jumping in front of her she ended up having a panic attack. I hope more people hear things like this and start paying a little more attention to those around them.

I was happy to hear others voice the concern. My Mom recently had back fusion surgery but she wasn't about to miss her grandson's first birthday at Magic Kingdom. She really wanted to watch the fireworks but she was already nervous about getting used to the ECV and the way people were jumping in front of her she ended up having a panic attack. I hope more people hear things like this and start paying a little more attention to those around them.
I'm s sorry to hear about your mom's panic attack I hope she still has fond memories of being able to spend her grandson's birthday with him anyway. And, as someone who has had spinal fusion (in my neck), I hope her recovery goes well.

I hope my message isn't that anyone is guilty or innocent.

Anyone with a "get out of my way" attitude is probably not going to do well at Disney.

My comments were for the folks that get dirty looks, nasty comments and foul language because of a mobility impairment.

I didn't know this existed until I pushed my Mom in a wheelchair.

No one is getting a pass on bad behavior.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter