• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Keepin' it on the downlow(country) at HHI - New TR link - pg 31

Congrats to your daughter and her fiancé. Seems like she just graduated High School. Time sure flies!!!!

Congratulations Lauren and David! Such great news!

(Although, being a fellow Dad, I can see where there would still be a little bit of bittersweet feelings on the matter)

CONGRATS to you and your wife and to your daughter and fiancée!
SO EXCITING!:dance3:

HOPING to get some GREAT news for our eldest DS, 27 SOON!:thumbsup2
Has been dating a LOVELY gal for 4 years!:)
Don't interfere on that one though.that's on their timetable....They are building careers and LOVING LIFE!:woohoo: What could be BETTER!:yay:

ENJOY the wedding planning!:cheer2:

Glad to hear all is well.

Congratulations to Lauren and her fiancee. That IS some exciting news! :woohoo: Since they still have another year and a half of school that gives them plenty of time to plan!

I hope your new job is going well. I know I used to be able to catch up on the DIS in my old job, but since I switched jobs it became impossible. So I get that. Sometimes its just really hard to stay updated when you do it all at night.

No rush, but looking forward to your next update!

I hear you on the job. My problem I have the same job title but we changed the way things are done so all my spreadsheets have to be updated to the new way things can be collected so I can re-collect and report..... Don't even ask why I am re-collecting.... that is what gets me :mad:

I have around 200 spreadsheets that I setup/update/maintain each month. A major amount of maintenance. Most of them link one to another, and they're not set up the way that I would have done it...the result of years and years of stacking new stuff onto the existing current state. There's a lot of redundancy, but since so much is linked, it's hard to tell what will break if you delete something or discontinue a spreadsheet. Like a spreadsheet version of a Jenga game. I've thought about trying to start from scratch, but I'm not sure it's even possible at this point. At a minimum, I'm changing a lot of formulas so that they automatically point to the right places as we change months...that will save a lot of time.

Congrats to Lauren and David... I understand the Dad ( and Mom) thing about not rushing it but I am sure you raised her right and it will be wonderful.

Thank you. Yes, I know it will. ;)

As for Disney weddings..... Now I am sure once you begin to add everything in it can be quite the bill but first glance... not too bad. Of course talking lots of guests and then reception... break out the checkbook dad.
https://www.disneyweddings.com/ Just sayin' :rolleyes:

Oh gee, thanks for the link! <headsmack>

Congrats to Lauren and David! :love:

Oh, and to Mom and Dad too!!! :banana:

Thank you sir!

Congrats to Lauren and David !!!

Thanks Rosie!

I know what you mean about being swamped at work and today they made the exciting announcement that we get our new computors and awole load of instructions of how I yes as in computer illiterate set it up:scared1::scared1::scared1: I will have the IT guy on speed dial :rotfl2: I don't have much time to Dis but this new Laptop is great , and will be better when I figure it all out!!!:goodvibes

Good luck setting it up Rosie! I hope it doesn't look like this. --> :badpc:

Congratulations on your daughter's engagement!

Thank you! :goodvibes

Congrats to your daughter and her fiancé. Seems like she just graduated High School. Time sure flies!!!!

Thanks! Oh, I agree, believe me...but somehow the clock/calendar says otherwise.

Congratulations Lauren and David! Such great news!

Thanks Cap'n.

(Although, being a fellow Dad, I can see where there would still be a little bit of bittersweet feelings on the matter)

Your time is coming. Probably hard to comprehend when you've got one in diapers, but turn around and your oldest will be right where mine is.

CONGRATS to you and your wife and to your daughter and fiancée!
SO EXCITING!:dance3:

HOPING to get some GREAT news for our eldest DS, 27 SOON!:thumbsup2
Has been dating a LOVELY gal for 4 years!:)
Don't interfere on that one though.that's on their timetable....They are building careers and LOVING LIFE!:woohoo: What could be BETTER!:yay:

ENJOY the wedding planning!:cheer2:

Thanks Jerseygal. Yeah, that seems to be the timetable with most younger folks nowadays. Mine didn't get the memo! :laughing:

Glad to hear all is well.

Congratulations to Lauren and her fiancee. That IS some exciting news! :woohoo: Since they still have another year and a half of school that gives them plenty of time to plan!

Thanks MEK!

I'm much better at planning vacations than weddings! :laughing:

I hope your new job is going well. I know I used to be able to catch up on the DIS in my old job, but since I switched jobs it became impossible. So I get that. Sometimes its just really hard to stay updated when you do it all at night.

Yeah, and the kids usually have the home computer commandeered at night. I contemplate getting my work computer out, but if I contemplate it long enough that feeling goes away. :rolleyes::rotfl2:

No rush, but looking forward to your next update!

You should, you'll be mentioned. :eek: :scratchin

Winter Break! Yay! I get to spend some time here catching up! And it looks like there's some exciting news to catch up WITH!

This deserves a big, fat:

WAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOTY!!

Congrats to Lauren and David... although I saw this coming through "other sources" for a while. Having just passed through the waters of this deep, deep sea of seeing a daughter off, I will pray for Judy. It is hard to watch a "baby" go.

I'll PM you.

Congratulations Lauren and David!!!

An exciting time for all!

:cool1:

Thank you Dee! You betcha!!

Congrats to Lauren and David!! Exciting times for you and your family!

Hi Jen! Thanks! Yes, indeed!

Winter Break! Yay! I get to spend some time here catching up!

That deserves a Waahoooty too!

And it looks like there's some exciting news to catch up WITH!

This deserves a big, fat:

WAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOTY!!

Congrats to Lauren and David... although I saw this coming through "other sources" for a while. Having just passed through the waters of this deep, deep sea of seeing a daughter off, I will pray for Judy. It is hard to watch a "baby" go.

I'll PM you.

Thanks Liesa! I'll look for your pm, and I'm interested in your "other sources". Hmmmm. :scratchin Aha! I knew I should have disabled that webcam!

Oh, your new avatar reminds me of Marlene's Halloween costume this year:

6CF1CF53-BEE1-437B-8E83-59EFAF79D0BE_zpsnm0rzfbx.jpg

James was supposed to be a burglar, but probably came off a little more terrorist-looking. Well, he tried. But I thought that Marlene pulled off Rosie the Riveter pretty well!

So, here's the story of how this chapter got its title. One of my co-workers is from France, and I was talking to him the day before we left on our trip and I mentioned that we were going to Hilton Head, SC on vacation....without the kids.

He laughed and said, "be careful that you don't come home with a, um, ah, ah... " and he struggled to find the right word, since English isn't his native tongue.

"Souvenir?", I volunteered.

"Yes! Yes! A souvenir!", he exclaimed gleefully, erupting in laughter.

When his snickering laughter died down, he asked me about Hilton Head, and the activities and attractions that we'd enjoy there. (He's been able to travel much of the U.S. since he's been here, but had never heard of Hilton Head.) Naturally, I told him about the resort, and the beach, and bicycling, and kayaking the marsh, and things like that.

And then I said, "Oh, I have a reservation at a really nice restaurant, that I had to reserve weeks in advance, and we'll be celebrating our anniversary (even though it'll technically be a few months late)."

He cut me off, with his eyes wide-open, warning, "Zat...will be...zee most dangerous night!" (In reference to the "souvenir" comment made earlier.)

And he fell into a fit of laughter again.

So yes, as you can imagine, I approached this night with much trepidation.

Picking up where I left off last time for this report, we left the Big Dipper pool in the late afternoon and came back to our suite to get cleaned up and dressed for dinner. On our way out, we stopped at the Front Desk to see if anyone might be available to take photographic evidence of our freshly-primped state of attire, and since they weren't busy, a helpful cast member was happy to oblige. We walked to the deck at the back of the Lodge and she took this photo of us, which I used in my opening post for this trip report. (Thank you, helpful cast member!)

IMG_7818_zps74e120e0.jpg

And then we set off for Vine (link to Vine on yelp), a restaurant that came highly recommended by DISer MEK. And I can cut to the chase on our assessment of it -- it was awesome. One of our best meals anywhere, ever.

To get there, we had to drive a little further south on the island than we'd been so far and we encountered a couple of traffic circles. When we approached the first one, we passed a bunch of cars that were stopped in the left lane, and we soon learned that the right lane, which we were in, zipping past everyone mind you, is for the first exit on the circle (a quarter turn, 90 degrees, or pi over 2 radians (hey, I'm married to a math teacher)) and that the left lane is for the next two exits on the circle (halfway, 180 degrees, or pi; and three-quarters, 270 degrees, or 3 pi over 2 radians (yeah, I didn't know those pi/radian things either, that's Judy's contribution to the trip report)). And naturally, I needed to go three-quarters of the way around the circle so I had to put on my turn signal and try to ingratiate myself to the people in the left lane, hoping that they'd notice my out-of-state tag and understand that I had no clue what I was doing. A kind-hearted soul let me in and we were on our way.

Once at Vine, we were greeted by the host, seated and introduced to our server and another server as well. We weren't sure if our server was new and in-training, or if they staff that highly, or what exactly. But they each told us their names, and since I have trouble remembering one, I promptly forgot them all. Oh well.

Inside, the restaurant is very small and intimate, with just a small number of tables. There are also a few tables outside, at the front. I took a picture of the front of the restaurant as we left, and since I'm such a fan of posting pictures chronologically, you'll get to see it later in the chapter.

Judy was happy to be out for dinner. Or perhaps just happy to be not cooking.

IMG_7819_zpse230a18f.jpg

Vine is a "farm to table" bistro, and Judy was impressed that they gave us a menu personalized for us and the occasion we were celebrating.

d68dae8f-49fc-4a4d-9c35-8874d83f196f_zps497f36e9.jpg

I took some zoomed-in shots later, so that my dear trip-report readers could read it.

IMG_8193_zps0846d80b.jpg

IMG_8194_zps9e016cfc.jpg

They started us off with a plate of bread and balsamic vinegar. Or, started me off really, since Judy couldn't have the gluten. That's all right, I ate her share.

IMG_7821_zps46725bfd.jpg

We contemplated what we would order, and since we were going in different directions regarding entrées, we decided to order wines by the glass rather than get a bottle which wouldn't complement at least one of the meals.

The servers were amazing. Even if we had a question that we were discussing between ourselves, they'd jump in and help us. It's a small place and with lots of staff, so yes, even table conversations might be heard and answered, which may border on creepy, but we looked at it as a good thing.

They also brought us each a glass of champagne, with a blueberry, to help us celebrate our anniversary.

We started with an Ahi tuna appetizer. Our server told us what everything was, but I couldn't remember everything in order to get it recorded in my trip notes. But wait! Fortunately, I have those menu pictures which say "twin miso glazes, avocado, Asian slaw, dashi-ponzu, picked Japanese radish, and crispy rice noodles".

IMG_7823_zpsd57feb64.jpg

Judy with her champagne and ready to dive into the appetizer, (knowing full-well that I needed to take a picture).

IMG_7824_zps89d19b0c.jpg

Judy's assessment of the tuna was that it was "just phenomenal!"

Hey, I even thought that the plates were cool. It was also kind of neat that they were all different. Very eclectic.

IMG_7825_zpse90e8171.jpg

After they brought out our next course, I asked our server to take a picture of us, which I enhanced a little due to the low light and posted on Instagram.

IMG_1537_zpsfaea2d75.jpg

Here's our Caprese salad, which had crystalized basil and Himalayan pink sea salt on it. How they got sea salt way up high in the Himalayas, I'll never know, but it certainly made this an extravagant dish.

IMG_7826_zps014da11c.jpg

Some Limoncello sorbet. 'Cause, you know, by this point our palates were screaming for a good cleansing. Shoulda been served with a wire brush. ;)

IMG_7827_zps336f327a.jpg

For an entrée, Judy went with the Butterfish. She liked everything but-her-fish, no wait, that's a different joke...nevermind. Actually, this dish was amazing, and from what I tasted I liked even better than mine. She made a great choice. This dish had rice, bok choy, and miso flan. And it had a sauce over it that the server said to spread over it to get some in every bite. It was fantastic.

IMG_7831_zps372a9be5.jpg

I had a "mountain of meat" (our server's words) in the osso buco, with orzo, and with a little polenta under the meat.

IMG_7832_zps2656ff7d.jpg

This was very good, but I couldn't eat all of it if I wanted to have dessert. Which I did. So I held up part-way through and had them box up the rest for me.

A woman walking around the restaurant gave Judy a little wine to try; I think she represented a local wine retailer. They were selling it for consumption there, or to take home. We just took the freebie taste.

On to Desserts. Our choices were:
green tea crème brulee with crystalized ginger and some kind of pink mousse on top,
chocolate mousse,
berry cobbler, or
tiramisu.

Judy was thinking of the chocolate mousse, in which case I'd get the berry cobbler (I'd read good things about it on yelp). But, our server said that the chocolate mousse might have gluten in it, so Judy got the crème brulee and I got the chocolate mousse. And coffee. Gotta have that.

Here's a photo.

IMG_7833_zpsc5698da8.jpg

Also, one of the hosts gave us a little dessert wine. They were really taking care of us.

Judy raved about her crème brulee and let me try some. Wow.

Our server came by and asked "is everything as expected?"

I said, "No! ...It's amazing!"

Another server came by, who had given us the dessert descriptions, and I said to her, "why didn't you tell us that the crème brulee was the best thing on the menu?" She just laughed.

Since returning home, Judy's found a green tea crème brulee recipe on the internet, bought a blowtorch for scorching the sugar on top, and has made it a couple of times. I think she's planning on making some over the holidays as well. My theory is -- if you make a special trip to the hardware store to buy a blowtorch, that's a pretty good sign that you liked the dish.

Overall, Vine was just incredible. Judy says, "the most amazing restaurant ever -- the food, the service, everything." The service even topped any Disney restaurant. No glass or plate sat empty for even close to 10 seconds (more like 3 seconds, we started watching) before being picked up by an attentive server. They really went out of their way to welcome us, help us decide on dishes and wines, answer questions, watch out for gluten, and celebrate! You may be curious about cost, and this meal came to around $200 before tip, which with the attention we received, deserved to be generous. For a memorable evening, we both highly recommend this restaurant. Two thumbs up!

I took a shot of the front of Vine as we left. It's at the end of a little shopping center, Coligny Plaza.

IMG_7834_zps3b0b4f8a.jpg

Heading back to the resort, we didn't have any other plans for the evening other than to catch the fireworks display. Apparently they hold a fireworks show each week during the summer at Shelter Cove (right across from the resort, at the other side of the marina), and it was supposed to occur on this night. However, when we turned off of William Hilton Parkway to get to the resort, we saw signs posted that said that the fireworks were cancelled for the night. Still, there were a lot of people and a lot of activity happening at Shelter Cove. We parked at the resort and decided to walk over to see what was happening and maybe browse some shops and see what restaurants were there. Plus, I had a fair amount of osso buco to walk off. On our way out, we asked at the Front Desk if they knew why the fireworks had been cancelled and they said it was because of a possible thunderstorm. It seemed like a lovely evening at the time, and I thought that it was a shame that they'd been cancelled. I thought they'd made the wrong decision. Anyway, we just walked along the marina side of Shelter Cove and looked at some of the vendor stands and people-watched a little bit.

One of the vendor booths had some funky lights that I thought our kids might like but a teenaged boy came up saying to his companions, "Don't buy 'em guys, they have them cheaper at the mall!"

Okay, you sold me on not buying.

After a little while we'd had enough of the crowds (which didn't take too long). Plus, some dark clouds were rolling in, so it looked like a good idea to get back to the resort.

We were going to walk all the way around the resort, down near where we went kayaking and then all the way back to the Live Oak Lodge, but the music from the Pirate Party lured us in to take a look. Man, that place was jumpin'!

IMG_1538_zps3bf19257.jpg

There was a D.J. playing tunes and all of the cast members had everyone up dancing and having a great time. It looked like everyone was having an absolute blast. Then, about 30 seconds after we arrived, the D.J. announced that they were going to have to end the party because of weather, and right on cue, it started to sprinkle.

We abandoned our plans to walk to the far-end of the resort and just started to head back to Live Oak Lodge. Halfway there, the sprinkles turned to great big raindrops that were seemingly being hurled from the sky, and our walk turned into an all-out sprint down the boardwalk. Naturally, it was every man for himself. Er, I mean, I ushered Judy to safety as we found the first entrance to the Lodge was the doorway leading to the underground parking. We stood there for a moment with some others who were seeking shelter from the rain and talked to a mom who had brought her little girls over to the resort from Shelter Cove. She said that they were disappointed that the fireworks were cancelled and asked if there was a store on the property. I'm sure that it was an idea for consolation for missing the fireworks. We described where the Mercantile was, but it wasn't fit weather to be out-of-doors, (and probably not allowed really, for non-guests), and I think they planned to head back to Shelter Cove.

We walked through the underground parking area and took the elevator up to our floor and took a picture at the deck at the end of the building overlooking the marsh. I think we look like we walked right out of that scene from "The Notebook". Or, that Progressive commercial. One of the two. Yeah, probably the latter.

IMG_7837_zpsaffb23d9.jpg

I decided to try to take some artsy pictures in low-light with the shutter open extra-long, while I rested the camera on the railing.

First, the marsh and the resort across the way.

IMG_7838_zps4862028f.jpg

Looking down at the hammock behind Live Oak Lodge.

IMG_7840_zps3dffc561.jpg

The tree in front of Live Oak Lodge.

IMG_7844_zps482f2df0.jpg

Looking to the right, at some of the other buildings in the resort and across the marina.

IMG_7849_zpsf50e4954.jpg

And, as for the rest of "zee most dangerous night", well...all I can say is...

..."Danger" is my middle name.

Up next: Dolphin cruise
[URL="http://www.disboards.com/threads/keepin-it-on-the-downlow-country-at-hhi-i-begin-to-see-the-signs-pg-21.3309082/page-19#post-53085310"]Link to next chapter[/URL]

Last edited:
Your dinner looks amazing! Sounds like awesome service as well. Still trying to figure out why you didn't go for the bacon sundae. :)

Too bad the fireworks were cancelled and it rained. Sounds like a lovely anniversary anyway!

Jill in CO

Ok, here's my take on the dinner. You basically got a Vic and Al's experience for the price of a two-fer. Which is a pretty major score. However, if you don't specifically go to Hilton Head and pay the cost of getting there, then Vic and Al's might be a consolation prize. If that made any sense, then kudos.

".... if you like pina coladas, and taking walks in the rain"

Best part of the meal? The dishes. Those are really pretty!

Well, that and you're smiling faces. You 2 are just so dang cute!

"Dangerous" has me worried. This forum does have a family-friendly rating. Right?!

Up next: Dolphin cruise

:rotfl2:

OMG AN UPDATE!!!!!! :faint:

I love that you went to the Vine! And you had such an awesome meal. That place really was lovely. I look forward to going back. All your food looks delicious. My friend Chuck had the same entree as you and he had to take a doggie bag back.

Nice to see people sitting outside as well. When we were there I don't believe anyone was outside.

Happy Holidays Glen and family. Thanks for the update!

Oy. It was a brief second, but a second nonetheless, where I originally thought the chapter title story was going one place, and then the "souvenir " remark actually made me think, wow, I could not have been more off (that brief second mentioned earlier in the extremely run-on sentence), before realizing I was did in fact see the chapter title story was going. :rotfl2:

Sounds like a lovely anniversary dinner. It honestly doesn't look like much from the outside, but clearly, looks are very deceiving.

Bummer about the fireworks. That would have been such a lovely finale for the night. But then again, Danger is your middle name, so I'm sure all's well that ends well. :thumbsup2

I'm glad I caught this while I was cruising the DIS (I'm so far behind...even on my own TR since my mom passed away and just can't seem to catch up).

You and Judy clean up very nice and look quite lovely in your anniversary picture.

Your meal looks quite yummy and I'm glad you were so well taken care of.

That was one hopping pirate party.

Sorry about the rain, but you got some great pictures in it.

If I don't get back here, Happy Holidays to you and the family.

It looks like you had an amazing evening! That dinner looked spectacular and at $200, if that included the wines by the glass, a great deal too!

Shame about the canceling of the fireworks and the thunderstorm, but sometimes it's better to spend a cozy night inside! ;)

First of all: Congratulations to Lauren!! How exciting! I had to think of the film "Father of the Bride" with Steve Martin when I read your post... You sounded a bit like him. :goodvibes

The dinner looks wonderful! I love the menu and the atmosphere of the place! And for how you described the quality of everything it sounds like was well worth the price! I need to remember that place if I ever get to Hilton Head (and I really want to go, it looks so lovely and relaxing!).

I mentioned that we were going to Hilton Head, SC on vacation....without the kids.

He laughed and said, "be careful that you don't come home with a, um, ah, ah... " and he struggled to find the right word, since English isn't his native tongue.

"Souvenir?", I volunteered.

"Yes! Yes! A souvenir!", he exclaimed gleefully, erupting in laughter.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

But, c'mon...nobody would be THAT dumb.

:headache:

And then I said, "Oh, I have a reservation at a really nice restaurant, that I had to reserve weeks in advance, and we'll be celebrating our anniversary (even though it'll technically be a few months late)."

He cut me off, with his eyes wide-open, warning, "Zat...will be...zee most dangerous night!" (In reference to the "souvenir" comment made earlier.)

Danger Will Robinson!

And I can cut to the chase on our assessment of it -- it was awesome. One of our best meals anywhere, ever.

Wow! Sounds like MEK really hooked you guys up.

When we approached the first one, we passed a bunch of cars that were stopped in the left lane, and we soon learned that the right lane, which we were in, zipping past everyone mind you, is for the first exit on the circle (a quarter turn, 90 degrees, or pi over 2 radians (hey, I'm married to a math teacher)) and that the left lane is for the next two exits on the circle (halfway, 180 degrees, or pi; and three-quarters, 270 degrees, or 3 pi over 2 radians (yeah, I didn't know those pi/radian things either, that's Judy's contribution to the trip report)).

I feel like I actually understood this. I don't know if I should be happy about that or not.

Judy was happy to be out for dinner. Or perhaps just happy to be not cooking.

The wives really seem to go for that.

They started us off with a plate of bread and balsamic vinegar. Or, started me off really, since Judy couldn't have the gluten. That's all right, I ate her share.

We do what we have to do.

Hey, I even thought that the plates were cool. It was also kind of neat that they were all different. Very eclectic.

I like it!

Our server came by and asked "is everything as expected?"

I said, "No! ...It's amazing!"

That begs the question: What were you expecting? :scared1:

Since returning home, Judy's found a green tea crème brulee recipe on the internet, bought a blowtorch for scorching the sugar on top, and has made it a couple of times. I think she's planning on making some over the holidays as well. My theory is -- if you make a special trip to the hardware store to buy a blowtorch, that's a pretty good sign that you liked the dish.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

She's a keeper!

We walked through the underground parking area and took the elevator up to our floor and took a picture at the deck at the end of the building overlooking the marsh. I think we look like we walked right out of that scene from "The Notebook". Or, that Progressive commercial. One of the two. Yeah, probably the latter.

I don't think the heavy stuff will come down for another couple of hours. I'd keep playing.

:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter