Keepin' it on the downlow(country) at HHI - New TR link - pg 31

I agree with the others, it sounds like a perfect day. I love vacations days where "you do nothing". Is not that what vacations are about? Relaxing and doing what you want, even if it is "nothing".

Yikes, it really has been a while since I last checked in, my apologies... Guess the job hunting and mini vacationing derailed me more than I had thought. Still, I guess one of the benefits is that I had a good amount of reading to catch up on, and lots of photos to admire, all brilliant as usual! :)

Nothing quite draws me in to a story like food photos and details, perhaps that is odd. I'm the same with other books... Maybe it's just the former over indulger in me coming out! :p Some really beautiful sunsets there, I'll have to take your example and try and capture more sunset pictures when I leave in June. Those mossy trees looked truly magical, don't see anything like that where I live!

Looks like I tuned back in at just the right time too, can't wait to see what pictures lie ahead in the next chapter! I'll be waiting with anticipation...

but we just hung out watching the news and having breakfast

Definitely a very different vacay than at WDW!! I can't even imagine!!

I mentioned him by name when we filled out our survey

Atta boy!! I love when a good job is well recognized.

taking selfies like they were teenagers

... well, if the shoe fits. I mean, by the looks of that picture, you can't be more than about 18.

Judy stayed true to the Dole Whip the whole time.

Judy, you can go on vacation with me any time!

Slowly playing catch up after 10 days off the DIS.

LOVE your "another beach day" update. Looks like a fun time. Fried chicken for lunch? Yes, please. And a Mickey ice cream sandwich? You are killing me here, Glenn.

Caught up here and lovin' your beach day. Work has been so hectic that I would love to run away and just spend the day staring at the ocean and eating Mickey bars.

Wow, I knew I was behind in responding to replies, but didn't realize how far behind. Sorry about that guys.

Looks like a beautiful low key day!

Jill in CO

It was sooo nice. The definition of a vacation day.

Not a bad plan at all. Except for the whole being up at 6:30 thing... :rolleyes1

And you call yourself a farmer. ;)

Neither can we. Carry on.

That's reassuring.

:sad2: Ok, as much as I just want to roll my eyes at this one, it's pretty creative. Nicely done.

Thanks. Mark didn't seem too impressed, but I guess he likes movie quotes over tv cartoon quotes.

The better goal would be to complete the dessert trifecta in one sitting. Now you have a challenge for next time.

You're tempting me, but the bigger challenge is resisting eating all of those in one sitting.

I agree with the others, it sounds like a perfect day. I love vacations days where "you do nothing". Is not that what vacations are about? Relaxing and doing what you want, even if it is "nothing".

Thanks, it was really relaxing and just great. No plans other than to sit at the beach and get in the water whenever we got too hot...perfect.

Yikes, it really has been a while since I last checked in, my apologies... Guess the job hunting and mini vacationing derailed me more than I had thought. Still, I guess one of the benefits is that I had a good amount of reading to catch up on, and lots of photos to admire, all brilliant as usual! :)

Hey Squidgy, good to see you! I see you have a Malta vacation coming up, that sounds exciting!

Nothing quite draws me in to a story like food photos and details, perhaps that is odd. I'm the same with other books... Maybe it's just the former over indulger in me coming out! :p Some really beautiful sunsets there, I'll have to take your example and try and capture more sunset pictures when I leave in June. Those mossy trees looked truly magical, don't see anything like that where I live!

I'm glad you're enjoying the photos (food, sunsets, or otherwise) and details. I don't think you're ever "done" trying to capture a sunset picture -- they just never look the same as they do in person, so you're always trying to get closer to capturing that moment.

Looks like I tuned back in at just the right time too, can't wait to see what pictures lie ahead in the next chapter! I'll be waiting with anticipation...

Thanks for your faithfulness Squidge.

Definitely a very different vacay than at WDW!! I can't even imagine!!

So true. I think it'll be great in June when we tack a couple of days at HHI onto our WDW vacation...hopefully it'll allow us to wind down on the way home.

Atta boy!! I love when a good job is well recognized.

:thumbsup2

... well, if the shoe fits. I mean, by the looks of that picture, you can't be more than about 18.

Aw shucks.

Judy, you can go on vacation with me any time!

That sounds expensive.

Slowly playing catch up after 10 days off the DIS.

I have to play catch up after 0 days off the DIS!

LOVE your "another beach day" update. Looks like a fun time. Fried chicken for lunch? Yes, please. And a Mickey ice cream sandwich? You are killing me here, Glenn.

I'll have to get some Publix chicken in June just to put in the fridge and take to the beach. Nothing like cold fried chicken on the beach. If you needed an adr for that, I'd log on at midnight for it!!

Thank you for your trip reports. Its always a pleasure to read at a rainy cloudy day!

Thanks sixfeetandi and :welcome: I'm so happy that reading these is enjoyable for you on a rainy day!!

Caught up here and lovin' your beach day. Work has been so hectic that I would love to run away and just spend the day staring at the ocean and eating Mickey bars.

What a day that would be, huh? Glad you're caught up Pat.

Low Country Backyard

After the beach part of our day was over, we made plans to go out for dinner and decided to try one of the “Preferred” (meaning discount available!) restaurants. I can’t remember exactly what research we did, but I imagine that we looked at some menus online and ultimately decided to go to Low Country Backyard. It’s not within walking distance of the resort, and like our visit to Vine, we drove down the William Hilton Parkway to the traffic circle; except this time we took the first exit off of the circle and found the restaurant in a small strip mall a short distance down Palmetto Bay Road.

We were there fairly early for the dinner rush and they were able to seat us without a reservation, but it looked like people had to wait to be seated shortly after. We decided to sit inside in the A/C, but as the name implies, outdoor seating in a backyard-type of area was available. I’ll have some pictures of it later in the chapter.

We started off with a crab dip appetizer to share and Judy was excited because they gave her gluten-free bread as a substitute for the crackers. This was your standard crab dip, but very good.

IMG_8079_zpse85a58a4.jpg

Here’s a shot of the dining room. There was more seating in another room next to us as well.

IMG_8080_zps9ce0770a.jpg

Out the window, you can see some of the backyard seating.

IMG_8081_zps99513d85.jpg

The specials for the day were on the wall right above our table.

IMG_8082_zps4e895cef.jpg

My date for the evening.

IMG_8083_zps84b27006.jpg

Judy got the purloo, which is a low country dish kind of like a gumbo. From my internet research, it appears that it usually has rice and chicken, but theirs had shrimp, red rice, sausage, and blackened fish of the day, which during our visit was salmon.

IMG_8084_zps6cb979a9.jpg

This dish was a little spicy and Judy loved it.

I got one of the specials, a pecan crusted North Carolina trout with two sides. (Of course it has two sides…have you ever looked at a trout?!) Anyway, to go along with it I got grits and their apple raisin cole slaw. According to my notes I got the cole slaw so that Judy could try it. I’m such a good guy. Glad I keep notes on that kind of thing.

IMG_8085_zps3eedb5f0.jpg

Mine was good too, but I have to admit that I liked Judy’s selection even more.

We didn’t really need dessert, but we got a banana pudding to share.

IMG_8087_zpsbe888f13.jpg

This was nice and light, with a little sugar and cinnamon and whipped cream on top. A perfect ending to our meals.

We both thought that the food was very good and we enjoyed our meals there. I’d definitely go back. Before posting this chapter I asked Judy what she thought about it and she said she loved it -- loved the crab dip, loved the purloo, and remembered that I liked her purloo more than my fish selection.

As we left, I took a picture of the singer outside. I like the sign above him.

IMG_8088_zps0f119d72.jpg

And look again at the thermometer on the tree in the picture. 90+, in the shade!

So yeah, you can definitely just kind of hang out in a low country backyard. And this one accepts credit cards.

IMG_8089_zps2126a5d2.jpg

Up next: Pictures of pictures

Pictures of pictures

I was going to make this whole evening one chapter, but since I have too many pictures for one post and the topics are so different, I’ll just make this a whole new chapter.

We got back to the suite a little after 6 and a phenomenon arose that I’ve seen as other trips have neared their end – I started taking pictures of everything around the suite. This evening however, was dedicated to the artwork in the suite. Pictures of pictures.

IMG_8091_zps979a6fc7.jpg

Hey, that pier looks familiar.

IMG_8092_zpsd99e2d2f.jpg

IMG_8093_zpse7cff38f.jpg

Daufuskie Island. Reminds me of our boat tour with Captain Tony.

IMG_8094_zpsed5fb4ca.jpg

IMG_8096_zpsce03a231.jpg

IMG_8097_zps87453897.jpg

I remember these shadowboxes from the Disney Files magazine showing the newly-refurbished Hilton Head suites.

IMG_8098_zpsc571dc5d.jpg

And this new bedside lamp as well.

IMG_8100_zpsdcbe5a57.jpg

Then I went out onto our balcony to try to get some nature shots.

IMG_8102_zpsa0e080b0.jpg

IMG_8103_zpsf68d96d2.jpg

Here’s a shot looking all the way to the right from our balcony, or put another way, toward the front of Live Oak Lodge rather than toward the marsh. You can see the inlet that is next to the lodge and the bike path that we took to the beach. Someone is walking their bike down the “S” curve in this picture.

IMG_8104_zpsf4f4faa2.jpg

I had a couple near-misses of great nature shots. A bird diving. A duck taking off. I decided that I don’t have the patience for it.

IMG_8105_zpsdd012a40.jpg

IMG_8106_zps97aa3cf5.jpg

Birds on columns

IMG_8108_zps363a8f1d.jpg

Houses across the marsh. Sure, I’ll take one.

IMG_8110_zpsc7ea5989.jpg

Nessie? Is that you?

IMG_8111_zpsb7189dc2.jpg

Marsh grasses

IMG_8112_zpsb26e2e5c.jpg

Then we did a little packing and I decided to take some things down to the van to minimize the trips tomorrow. I went to get a luggage cart and to make the trip more efficient, I grabbed a couple of loose items to throw into the van: an old Disney parks mug and my old tripod. I was waiting for the elevator when a woman came along, waiting also. She said, “oh, you’ve got one of the old ones”. I thought she was talking about the tripod and I was like “yep”. “They sure cost enough, like twenty dollars”, she said. “At least!”, I said. “But if it works, use it, right?” Then she became incredulous…”You can use yours?!!” And then I finally realized that she was talking about the mug and I had to explain that I just used that in the van for the drive to Hilton Head.

Around 8 o’clock we headed over to the Mercantile. On the way, we noticed that the landscaping guys had done a great job on their garden project.

IMG_8113_zps5108d37b.jpg

IMG_8114_zps04e3e989.jpg

IMG_8115_zps2be346a7.jpg

And another campfire was going strong.

IMG_8116_zpsa3fd8ed7.jpg

IMG_8117_zps85747221.jpg

In the Mercantile I said something about the sunset and the cast member said that it was too cloudy tonight. Then we browsed the store for a while and when I finally paused to take a peek out the window I saw that an amazing sunset was winding down. I ran out to try to at least get a couple of pictures from the railing.

IMG_8118_zps7891c400.jpg

IMG_8119_zpsc2f9ebfb.jpg

I took one with my phone and souped it up a little with some Instagram filters.

IMG_1551_zpsa27d2b0f.jpg

We didn’t buy too much that night. We just got a couple of Mickey and Minnie refrigerator magnets that were in a clearance bin, and I got this Mickey’s “Really Swell” Coffee brand espresso mug and saucer.

IMG_8156_zpsc4aa2202.jpg

I really like it. I use it all the time, and it makes me think of Hilton Head.

We went back to the suite and then at 9 o’clock I was able to convince Judy to go with me over to the movie. I wanted her to see the setup. Unfortunately, it took them an extra-long time to get it going. I think at first they couldn’t’ find a key to open the equipment cabinet. Then they had technical issues. A cast member did pass around some bug spray, but it was far cry from telling a few jokes and doing a little soft-shoe while we waited.

When the movie started I texted Lauren because it was her favorite:

IMG_1553_zpsc00ab129.jpg

Shortly into it, Judy was complaining about getting bitten by bugs. The term “eaten alive” may have been used, but I was inclined to just ignore them. That was until a big ol’ junebug flew down the collar of my shirt. I had to reach down and grab him and use a judo throw on him to get him out. Then I was ready to go too. We left before Rapunzel had even escaped her tower.

That’s okay, we’d had our own Best! Day! Ever!

Up next: We do the Charleston
Link to next chapter

Last edited:
I love your photos of the pictures. The one with the dogs is terrific (I'd like to have that hanging in my house).

If you get one of those houses across the marsh, can I come visit?

I like your new mug. I love my Disney mugs. I get in a rut of using the same one and you made me realize I need to get a "fresh" one out.

Too bad about the bugs and not being able to stay for the movie. I think I would have fainted if a june bug went down my shirt. :scared1:

I love your photos of the pictures. The one with the dogs is terrific (I'd like to have that hanging in my house).

We're dog people too. And I guess Swiffer counts. :laughing:

If you get one of those houses across the marsh, can I come visit?

Absolutely. I'd love to show you around the place. Heck, I can't wait to show me around the place!

I like your new mug. I love my Disney mugs. I get in a rut of using the same one and you made me realize I need to get a "fresh" one out.

Keep 'em in rotation.

By the way, did you see what I posted on Liesa's thread about the Disney Visa card and Starbucks app reloads?

Too bad about the bugs and not being able to stay for the movie. I think I would have fainted if a june bug went down my shirt. :scared1:

I think if it'd been a little kid, we all would've heard it!!

Well I am all caught up!! Those tourist who take selfie's:rotfl2:Your foodlooked very good !!Have o say I liked your meal the best, but I m not into SPICY!!!:confused3Now I would no way have shared the banana pudding dessert:rotfl2:I will be in Disney in 3 weeks !!:jumping2::jumping3::Pinkbounc

We're dog people too. And I guess Swiffer counts. :laughing:

Of course Swiffer counts. We want another dog (it's been almost two years since we lost Cookie), but want to wait to see where we move 'll take d.

By the way, did you see what I posted on Liesa's thread about the Disney Visa card and Starbucks app reloads?

I must have missed it. I caught up on a lot of threads after I did an update on my TR, and skipped a lot of chatter. So what did you say?

Well I am all caught up!! Those tourist who take selfie's:rotfl2:

You've gotta watch out for them.

Your foodlooked very good !!Have o say I liked your meal the best, but I m not into SPICY!!!:confused3

You would've liked that trout for sure. It was good.

Now I would no way have shared the banana pudding dessert:rotfl2:

I'm usually the same way, but was just too full and a taste was all I needed.

I will be in Disney in 3 weeks !!:jumping2::jumping3::Pinkbounc

5 weeks for us! Woot Woot!

I must have missed it. I caught up on a lot of threads after I did an update on my TR, and skipped a lot of chatter. So what did you say?

I noticed that we get double-points on the Disney Visa card for Starbucks app reloads. It sees it as a restaurant (2%) and a grocery (2). If you use your Visa card in the store, it's just 2%. It's probably a glitch.

I missed the food update. Both of your meals look great...I could go for either one of those.

And you had a lovely date that evening.

After the beach part of our day was over, we made plans to go out for dinner and decided to try one of the “Preferred” (meaning discount available!) restaurants.
Hey, I always prefer a discount too!

We didn’t really need dessert, but we got a banana pudding to share.
Nope. Not buying it. You always need dessert.

We both thought that the food was very good and we enjoyed our meals there. I’d definitely go back.
That's the key! I'm glad you enjoyed your meals.

As we left, I took a picture of the singer outside. I like the sign above him.
::yes::

And look again at the thermometer on the tree in the picture. 90+, in the shade!
:crazy2: :faint: Definitely a good call to eat in the A/C.

I had a couple near-misses of great nature shots. A bird diving. A duck taking off. I decided that I don’t have the patience for it.
Darn animals. They just don't like to hold their pose.

Nessie? Is that you?
:eek: :eek: :eek: You found her!

I wanted her to see the setup. Unfortunately, it took them an extra-long time to get it going. I think at first they couldn’t’ find a key to open the equipment cabinet. Then they had technical issues.
Even Disney has these problems. Makes you feel better about yourself, doesn't it?

Shortly into it, Judy was complaining about getting bitten by bugs. The term “eaten alive” may have been used, but I was inclined to just ignore them. That was until a big ol’ junebug flew down the collar of my shirt. I had to reach down and grab him and use a judo throw on him to get him out. Then I was ready to go too. We left before Rapunzel had even escaped her tower.
Yeah... I mean it would be nice to watch it outside on the big screen. But I'm sure you've seen Tangled before and will see it again. No point sitting there getting eaten up by bugs.

Great pictures as always glennbo! And thanks for noticing my Malta trip, excited is an understatement for how I'm feeling about that! I get a twin room with a harbour view balcony to myself courtesy of my wonderful parents, should be something spectacular. I'll remember to try and get some pictures to show on here if I can, a nice harbour sunset would do nicely...

Love the food pics as always, though I too would prefer the less spicy dish, and that "key lim" pie sounds interesting right now... And I agree with you, wildlife shots are so hard to get, though you came closer than I usually do!

That bug incident sounds nasty :scared: I think you made a wise decision to retreat... And that espresso mug looks brilliant, I need to dig out my old cups from trips too!

Overall another great chapter, shame about the unreliable weather info from the CM leading to a nearly missed sunset, but I guess when is a weather forecast ever accurate? :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter