Keep CSR or switch to POR? Which is best for us?

Lisadaa2

Mouseketeer
fourth family trip. We have stayed at AKL and WL. Last time we stayed at POR and really enjoyed it. We liked how quiet and lush AB was. Food court was good and the pool was nice. We also like Yee Haw Bob. The negative was the busses. We wanted to stay there again but with the FD pin we could only get CSR. We were kind of bummed yet thrilled we got FD. If a general FD discount comes out and they open POR rooms should we switch?
My concerns with CSR is being stuck far from everything. I don't like the looks of Ranchos but the others look pretty. We have a DS10 and DD6, will they like it or is it too adult-like? I know some people hate that it's a convention resort. It's a family trip so I want it geared to my kids too. Also are the rooms showing wear? I know it's been a while since they were done and POR are new. My other concern is Pepper Market. It seems either people love it or hate it.
We went to Mexico for our honeymoon so I like that the resort reminds me of it. The pool looks awesome so I think my kids will like that. Opinions? Sell me on CSR or talk me into switching.

My kids loved csr. We are a family of 5 and if we could, we would stay there again. The buses are great and we enjoyed the pepper market. Have fun!

CSR hands down had the best bus service of any resort we have stayed at, also there is another CS place-Cafe Rix that was great for quick grabs & refilling our mugs.

Kae

As a manager once told me "it is a deluxe hotel at a moderate price"!

It really has many pluses. The CM's have been great!

In April dd18 and I went for a mom and me trip. We arrived at CSR at 11pm. We went to Bell Hop station and asked where we could leave suitcases. We wanted to catch bus to MK to ride SM then come back to our room. The 2 men there said one was leaving then and the other on until 1am. If we not back he would take our bags to the outside luggage holding area. At 1:30am we finally got back. We first checked the place we left our suitcases and yes! He was still there with our bags. :goodvibes He said not a problem. We apologized for getting back late and tried to tip him. He refused the tip and made us feel like he was truly glad to help us. It was fun to ride rides that late at night after a day in airports and to end the day like that has made another good CSR memory.

We have stayed there 8 times all with great trips! Don't dis Ranchos without seeing it in person. We were there the first trip and in person it is beautiful. For getting to parks they are close to bus stops too! For us getting to parks for rope drop is important and this area is great for that. Ds at 10 loved Ranchos the best. Feels like in a western and he actually named all of the big rocks:rotfl2:

I love all 4 mods and have been to each in the past 2 years, however I still like CSR the best:)

PS I take bus to main building when coming back from parks. I request my sheet to be stamped "to go" then get our food and walk back to room or eat outside. No tipping required and we like to relax in our room.

We have stayed at both CSR and POR - CSR fall of 2010 and POR just a couple of weeks ago.

CSR wins for buses - the fact that it is a convention hotel works to your advantage. A lot of the people staying there were in meetings and not going to the parks. We had stellar bus service at CSR. The pool was also never crowded.

POR wins for food court. We loved the food court at POR - did not care for Pepper Market.

Both rooms were very nice - when we stayed at CSR our room was spotless. There is only one sink in the CSR rooms and POR has two - I have two daughters so this is something that is important to us.

We were in the cabanas section of CSR and loved it. Very peaceful, beautiful. We were in a royal room at POR in Oak Manor and also loved it. I would stay in either resort again without hesitation. I think sometimes CSR is seen as a more business oriented resort, but we loved it, and there are lots of Disney touches in the rooms and throughout the resort.

Hope this helps.

Have stayed at both. 1st CSR an 2nd POR. Love POR. CSR was okay. Will not go out of my way to choose CSR. Would plan a trip and choose POR, in fact, will be going back there again next year.
Busses for us at CSR were horrible, but then we were trying to catch the bus at the El Centro. Don't try and get the bus there, as it is often full by the time it gets there.
Recommend requesting Casitas building. Cabana's are nice too, and close, but now you're getting into the bussing issues.
All that said, if it came down to free dining or not free dining, I would go back to CSR. If I can get free dining at both, POR in a heartbeat.

We love CSR. We like the cabanas section. The bus service was as good or better than POFQ. If you can afford it, business class rooms(building 9A) give you access to the Cococino lounge which has free snacks and beverages morning and night ( including adult drinks). The Pepper Market is hit or miss. I agree with the PP about getting food to go and having to deal with the tables and tipping issue. If you are getting DDP then using the lounge for breakfast could free up some credits for other food in the parks. Don't be put off by the size of CSR. We never found the walks to be that far and the grounds are beautiful. JMHO! YMMV!

Been to both a we also love CSR. Our DD also enjoys the main pool area. Great, non shared bus service at CSR too.

Thank you for the replies! I like hearing both sides. I know if we end up staying at CSR we will have a blast. I am getting excited to try something new... PM question. We like to grab food to go. Thats ok and no tipping? We like to eat breakfast in our room so its quicker. DH goes to get it while we are getting ready. We are a rope drop family.

We have stayed at both, prefer csr. And we were in ranchos, which I DID NOT want, but we still loved it. Buses were better at csr. Food court was better at por. Rooms are nicer at csr.

We have been to both (CSR 2x, POR 3x) and love them both!

I do not feel CSR is far from things and it does have amenities no other mod does. Our experience is that CSR has excellent bussing.

We enjoy Cafe Rix, LOVE having food right at the main pool with Siesta's and found Pepper Market an excellent value on the dining plan but sometimes too time.consuming and complicated (which is why Cafe Rix and Siestas are so appreciated by us lol).

The convention thing was a barely noticed non issue for us, rooms were great, cm's awesome and while POR is our favorite resort, CSR is also a "favorite" and we love it!

Keep the ressie even if POR opens up and try something new!

Oh yeah, my kids love CSR and we have stayed in Cabanas and Ranchos and loved both.

Honestly, CSR feels easier to navigate than POR.

Love the beachy, Mexico theme as well!

I've stayed at both and prefer PoR. I liked the food choices better. I liked the room better. Liked the feel of the resort better.

Just didn't care for CSR even though it was nice enough.

I've stayed at both and prefer PoR. I liked the food choices better. I liked the room better. Liked the feel of the resort better.

That's what makes it a hard decision. I know I already like POR so trying something new is scary. We have stayed at AK and WL and loved them both but POR seems to be a better fit for us. But maybe we will love CSR too?

We were not fans of CSR BUT...I firmly believe everyone should try things once and see for themselves. I would stick with CSR and go with an open mind. If you don't like it - you can ask to be moved, or you can stick it out and know for next time that it's not your cup of tea. Or, you may end up loving it and want to stay there every time!

Thank you for the replies! I like hearing both sides. I know if we end up staying at CSR we will have a blast. I am getting excited to try something new... PM question. We like to grab food to go. Thats ok and no tipping? We like to eat breakfast in our room so its quicker. DH goes to get it while we are getting ready. We are a rope drop family.

First off, don't be afraid to get the food in the Pepper Garden. Café Rix really has nothing. We got our food frequently and ate it outside at one of the tables. There's no tipping when you do this. We did eat inside once and we had horrible service (actually no one waited on us at all) and I just went up and got my drinks from the drink guy anyway. So we actually enjoyed the food selections, but much preferred sitting outside. Also, brought back to our room too when others were beat.

They were offering a brunch buffet last year, but not sure if that is still going on or not. When we went it was just regular all day/night.

That's what makes it a hard decision. I know I already like POR so trying something new is scary. We have stayed at AK and WL and loved them both but POR seems to be a better fit for us. But maybe we will love CSR too?

Only you know your tastes in ambiance :). For me I love that river town feel of PoR. CSR was very Mexico. As you know each resort plays music throughout their buildings and buses that reflect that theme. So on all the buses they played like mariachi music. Same for the pepper market. I really felt like I was in my local Mexican restaurant all day long. It got old. Don't get me started on CBR. If I heard that "tally me banana" song one more time I thought I was gonna puke.

PoR plays more banjo music. Banjo and crickets. :) What is it about banjo music that makes me think Disney??

I agree with this completely. Nothing bad to say about CSR. We love POR. CSR was lacking in the Disney feel to us. We feel the magic everytime at POR. Just one opinion. When we stayed at CSR I had my original ressie at POR and changed it. I spent the trip wishing I was at POR!:upsidedow

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter