Kali River Rapids . . .How Wet?

Wish Upon A Star

DIS Veteran
This trip we are planning on going on Kali River Rapids . . .

How wet do you get? Will we have to bring a change of clothing?

Any tips on where to sit to not get totally drenched?

Thanks for any help.

Deb

It depends all on how the raft twists and turns along the ride how wet you get. We rode it in January, even though it was cold and raining, and luckily didn't get wet. If you go when it is hot I think it feels great to get wet and you will dry. We have never taken a change of clothes, but I don't like to carry too much around the parks. I guess if you wanted to bring clothes you could rent a locker if you didn't want to carry them around.

You can get really, really wet. I don't think there are any tips on staying dry, it just depends how the raft turns as it's going under the falls and down the hill.

There is a container in the middle of the raft to store personal items. It is a good idea to put your shoes in there too.

You could always wear a rain poncho.

I'm a real wimp when it comes to getting wet- I put on a disposable poncho while in line. Two of the teens in our group didn't heed our advice, and were drenched to the bone! They insisted on going back to the hotel to change. The rest of us dry-folk continued on!:D

We got WET WET WET! Like the others have said, it depends how the raft turns..and of course..it always seem to turn just when we think we made it through nice n dry ;)

We waited til we were ready to leave the park and rode Kali last. Since we were on our way back to the hotel anyway, it didn't matter that we were soaked :)

Someone in our group always gets soaked and with the heat in April we are usually glad so we never bring a change of clothes.

If you were going to be there when we are I'd say come & ride with us. You can sit across from me & I guarantee you will not get wet. Why? Because I ALWAYS get drenched and the other half of the raft always stays dry. :crazy: So as long as you sit across from me you're guaranteed to stay dry. ;) Every single time, I have been absolutely soaked.

This year I'm definitely bringing my poncho because I love the ride...but I feel so miserable walking around all wet (and bringing a change of clothes seems like too much of a burden).

My DD doesn't mind getting wet but if you do, bring a rain poncho...the ride is excellent. :)

Wal-mart sells rain ponchos in their sporting good section for less than a dollar that are very small (the size of your palm when closed) but very cheaply made. The plastic is the quality of plastic (not ziploc) sandwich bags. They are impossible to open with wet hands so I don't recomend them for anything other than a one time use on Kali river rapids. They are very compact and light so are very easy to carry around for the day and just throw them out when you are done. They would never make a rainy day through the parks.

Have a great trip!:wave:

I think getting wet depends on who is on the heavyist side of the raft. ie: If there are three adults on one side and three small children on the other side, then the adults will get wet and the children wont.
This could be wrong, but it always seem to happen this way for us.
I try to sit on the kids side!

I agree with the others...very wet but very fun.

Couple of tips -
- I use the $1 store poncho and am still wet. Make a friend and take it off as you exit ask who wants it, people are thrilled.

- When we were there in Feb there was a SHOES MUST BE WORN SIGN (we use to take ours off). Be sure to keep your feet up on the bar not on the bottom of the raft.

- I carry a large backpack with me in the parks The compartment is very small for personal items. I keep a large garbage bag in my backpack just for the rapid ride. We almost ruined our camera the 1st time. The whole backpack goes in the bag and TIE THE TOP.

It is my DD's favorite ride (and I love it too!) so don't skip it, just be prepared.

Sandy

On our raft, I was the only one who got soaked. I was totally dripping wet from head to toe, and I ended up having to buy new clothes at the gift shop, shorts and a t-shirt, and it cost me $45!

This trip, I'll be bringing a change of clothes for all the members of my family, just shorts and t-shirts and undies which don't take up much room in a backpack, and I'll leave the backpack in the locker.

Originally posted by Dalpal
I think getting wet depends on who is on the heavyist side of the raft. ie: If there are three adults on one side and three small children on the other side, then the adults will get wet and the children wont.
This could be wrong, but it always seem to happen this way for us.
I try to sit on the kids side!

I thought the same thing until our last trip...I was on the lighter side....& thought I was safe so don't count on it if you don't want to get wet. I think it just depends on how the raft is positioned just before it goes down the drop. :eek:

You will get wet. But I recomend buying the disney ponchos. You can buy them just about anywhere in disney. Another tip is to wear your bathing suit under your clothes and wear some kind of swooshy material pants. That way you can take off your shirt and have your bathing suit top on and shorts. But you can also ride KRR the original and best way:Not care if you get wet and just enjoy the ride. Whatever way you choose just have fun and remember that your on vacation!

Always here to help,
Mickeygal3 :yo-yo:

I've only gotten a little wet each time. But my dh....he is the one every time who gets soaked, right down to his undies!!! If you do go the poncho/plastic bag route, be sure to sit on it also. Or your bottom will still get soaked.

all the way through - Everything !!!

I am a heavy girl and sat with a heavy girlfiend of mine on the trip down river and low and behold the raft twisted backwards and we got sooo wet - it was fun and in the middle of june and we went back to the hotel to change .. I will bring a poncho next time !!!

Michelle

Oh, this is GOOD info! Thanks to the OP, also really fun to hear others experiences.

I cant wait to go, think I will try the poncho route and will certainly be bringing a trash bag for our fanny pack/mini back pack and camera.

We skipped this park last time- didnt do enough research to realize it was more than a zoo, this wont be missed this trip!!

Oh yeah, I think Ill toss flip flops or water shoes in our pack so theres no chance of getting our sneaks wet, I know from just getting them soaked with sweat they dont dry real fast with all the air conditioning in the rooms.

Ugh!! The waiting is unbearable!! I cant wait to go now! Reading your posts and seeing it on the Travel Channel last night has me bursting with excitment!:Pinkbounc

We love KRR and always get soaked. We now plan ahead, wear sport sandals and microfiber clothing on AK day. I find the microfiber clothes dry completely in about 1/2 hour. I learned this the hard way. A couple of years ago I had on jean shorts and sneakers. I never dried the shorts were so uncomfortable and chaffed and I had major blisters from my sneakers. I would not recommend going that route. We have 2 ds's that love it too. They wear water shoes and swim trunks and a T-shirt. When they're done we change the T-shirt and put sneakers back on and they are set to move on. We also carry a swim chamois in our bag. We use it alot between water rides and fountains. It takes up little space and can be used over and over.

My DH & DD's (4 & 7 at the time) went on this ride. My DH & DD 4 were soaked to the bone! My DD 7 only had a few drops of water & she was sitting right next to them.

My DD that was soaked came off the ride bawling - we have some really cute video though ;) ! We had to buy her a new shirt & socks & had to air dry her shorts. We were unprepared for this ride & had not done enough research.

I bailed at the last minute when I saw how wet people were :rolleyes: - I didn't want to ruin my day. We were not staying on site & could not easily go to change. I will be prepared for our next trip though so I can join in on the fun :teeth:

Ride the ride but be prepared to be wet. I think it is totally random & it doesn't matter where you sit. It's the luck of the draw.

When we rode Kali, my DH and I were going backwards when a wave washed completely over us, surprising us while completely drenching us.
I could see where this might upset a younger child!

Plan on getting soaked to the bone, then if it happens (and it very well may) you won't mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter