Just starting to research RVing...

Our first post, yeah!

I recommend a RV show also. Nothing like seeing them in person as opposed to online. And if it is a large show like the one we went to, you can go a couple of days to really see all of them and then go back to check your favs and maybe make a purchase. We found the prices to be very good and there were Manufacturer reps at the show. I was also amazed at the lack of pressure from the sales folks.

My DW, DD and I went to a RV Show (Tampa, Fl) in January. The DW and I bought a trailer and the DD bought her own trailer. These are our first trailers. The DW and I did it backward and bought the trailer first and the vehicle a week later.

DW and I did not want a slide, just to have less to worry about, a personal preference. We found the perfect trailer for us and I told DW we should name it Goldilocks because it is just right. :p

Our trailer has a max weight of about 6000 lbs and our TV will pull about 9000 lbs.

:welcome: @BETH & PETE and congratulations on your First TT.

Sounds like your TT to TV ratio is pretty good and you should have no issues towing it. I concur that going to an RV show would be awesome. The sad part is that we live only about 2 hours from one of the largest (if not the largest) RV show in the US and we have never been to it. :(
Maybe we will make it at some point.

Thank you peg110.

Our trailer is a 2017 Zinger Z1 ZR211Rd. The TV is a 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer El. Pics at some point once I get my 10 posts .

I would recommend a tow vehicle that is not maxed out. If you get a 4,000 lb trailer, don't use a truck whose max tow rating is 4,000 lbs. TrailerLife magazine has a great website that has tow ratings for just about every year and is quite specific. Be wary of a salesman who says " sure, your vehicle can tow that". Research and make sure it is really capable. No sense beating the daylights out of your vehicle.

we started with a 27' no slides, needless to say that didn't last long, with 3 kids and like others have stated, we had a complete rain out for 3 days in south dakota. traded everything the next year up to a fifth wheel and F350 dually diesel. then the 2 footitist kicked in, you know, need something about 2 ft bigger. now we have a 41' fiver and F450 ton and a 1/2. we are completely hooked on vacationing in this manner. no problem to stay 4 weeks in the unit with now just 2 "young adults" and the DW and I. but we have everything we need, washer/dryer, king bed, huge living area. it all depends on what you want

we started with a 27' no slides, needless to say that didn't last long, with 3 kids and like others have stated, we had a complete rain out for 3 days in south dakota. traded everything the next year up to a fifth wheel and F350 dually diesel. then the 2 footitist kicked in, you know, need something about 2 ft bigger. now we have a 41' fiver and F450 ton and a 1/2. we are completely hooked on vacationing in this manner. no problem to stay 4 weeks in the unit with now just 2 "young adults" and the DW and I. but we have everything we need, washer/dryer, king bed, huge living area. it all depends on what you want

If I can't get a descent Class C or a Class A, This is the route I want to go. I want the 5er with perhaps a bunkhouse. I really like the "Mid-Bunk" bunkhouse where it's like a "Sitting Room" that can be made into beds (easily) as well as a Loft over top. Then of course the typical Queen/King Bed up front, Ideally with a washer and Dryer. Even though it's mostly DW and I with DD12 right now, but our DD20 and future SIL23 like to go with us too so it's got plenty of room. Alas any of them are going to be a couple of years in the future.

We really enjoyed the RV show. We got lots of good ideas there.
We've determined that our biggest expenditure will be the tow vehicle. We will sell or trade our smaller vehicle and get (likely) a truck, but they're so expensive. In fact, the tow vehicle may cost double what our trailer will cost us.

We really enjoyed the RV show. We got lots of good ideas there.
We've determined that our biggest expenditure will be the tow vehicle. We will sell or trade our smaller vehicle and get (likely) a truck, but they're so expensive. In fact, the tow vehicle may cost double what our trailer will cost us.

Your TV doesn't have to be new. The DW and I just bought a 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer El for 11K and it's in great shape. Just take your time and look around. Good luck.

Beth and Pete, how do you like the Zinger?

We bought our truck last month--a Ford F-150 3.5 L v6 with Ecoboost and factory tow package. It can tow up to 10,700 lbs, but we're aiming for 50%-60% of that.

Saving for the trailer now, and doing our homework. Right now, I'm partial to the Jayco trailers, and dh likes those Winnebago Minnie trailers. (So we may likely get a Jayco. :love2:)

One thing not mentioned in this post, but has in others, fuel mileage. Don't be surprised when you start towing your trailer if you are only getting 6, maybe 7 mpg. This will determine your fuel stops and of course how you plan a trip. We had a 1500 with a 7000lb trailer, avg was 6mpg towing all the way to Florida from PA. Now towing with a 3500 that same trailer was about 12mpg. Just traded in for a fifth wheel, which weighs about 15000lbs, and looks to be averaging about 11mpg.
Just don't get shocked when you start towing and that gas gauge empties quickly.

We are also shopping for a new camper. We are leaning toward Jayco hummingbird with slide out or starcraft satellite with slide out. We currently have jayco pop-up. Have spent lots of time so far on internet watching YouTube's.

We are in the process of purchasing a Keystone Passport 2890RL. (We pick it up Saturday!) I liked their models a lot. My husband loved their low weight. We are hauling with his 2000 (very well maintained- but, old) Dodge truck. New trucks are certainly more expensive than the trailer! This is new to us - we have been Pop Up owners for a long, long time.

I originally looked at bunks for our dogs and possible future grand- kids (our own kids are in early twenties)....but, when I saw the windows in the Rear Living models - I totally changed my mind. We do Disney camping, and also lots of State and National Parks.

We were going to wait until we retire - but, I saw one RV slogan that said - something like - "Helping you get to retirement- one weekend at a time." We decided to go ahead and get started on our dream a bit early!

We had fun looking around - but, we fell in love with this one and it was a great deal because it is new - but, last year's model.

We are also shopping for a new camper. We are leaning toward Jayco hummingbird with slide out or starcraft satellite with slide out. We currently have jayco pop-up. Have spent lots of time so far on internet watching YouTube's.
We did the very same thing to pick out our new camper!

We are in the process of purchasing a Keystone Passport 2890RL. (We pick it up Saturday!) I liked their models a lot. My husband loved their low weight. We are hauling with his 2000 (very well maintained- but, old) Dodge truck. New trucks are certainly more expensive than the trailer! This is new to us - we have been Pop Up owners for a long, long time.

I originally looked at bunks for our dogs and possible future grand- kids (our own kids are in early twenties)....but, when I saw the windows in the Rear Living models - I totally changed my mind. We do Disney camping, and also lots of State and National Parks.

We were going to wait until we retire - but, I saw one RV slogan that said - something like - "Helping you get to retirement- one weekend at a time." We decided to go ahead and get started on our dream a bit early!

We had fun looking around - but, we fell in love with this one and it was a great deal because it is new - but, last year's model.

We had a Keystone Bullet 251RB, looking at the specs, both trailers weight about the same. We towed our first trip to Disney with a 2003 Chevy 1500 and after getting 6mpg while towing, we opted for a newer bigger truck. We bought a 3500 and that towed the Bullet beautifully. But that led to us purchasing a larger, fifth wheel.
Enjoy, there is a wealth of information here, there is a truck and towing thread pinned on the first page that has a lot of information, and information on members rigs.
Enjoy and welcome to the camping club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter