• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

just returned from disney… very disappointed… not sure when we will go back

Networth said:
Chalk this one up to people complain about an experience 10 times more often than they praise one.

Wow...so basically any complaints about Disney are wrong and not valid for you and a few others on this board??? Why do you even read then? I love Disney and go every year, but the OP does have valid complaints and honestly we too have generally encountered poorer and poorer service etc. in the last few yrs. as well. If ppl. want to live in their "Disney is perfect and can do no wrong" bubble then don't open the thread and continue to live in Fantasyland.

OP, Sorry that your visit to WDW was disappointing! I know how you feel - when you are lead to expect a service that isn't provided and no reason given, it IS upsetting.

It seems to be evident, IME, that every vacation to WDW sees a further slip away from the quality vacation that we used to be able to rely upon. It is so very sad.

As a PP said, Disney service, which used to be of such a high standard, is no longer any better than you will receive anywhere else. However, Disney does raise high expectations for superior service in their marketing. Also, in the past, Disney set the bar high for themselves with respect to customer service and a quality vacation product. Today, they are missing the mark.

When consumer expectations are high, disappointments are felt much more keenly by contrast.

I hope that your next vacation meets and exceeds your expectations.

Disney has always had excellent customer service, and I believe that this is what leads us to have the expectations of above and beyond service. I'm not sure that I (personally) feel that it is "marketed" to us...it's more just it "is". I am genuinely curious about the marketing aspect and not trying to start an argument here, but I am looking for examples. I am searching and searching my mind for examples...(probably not the best idea at 6:23 am) ;)

"Let the Memories Begin" and now the "Show your Disney Side" campaigns to me seem to imply that Disney is a backdrop to the memories, but you as a family are responsible for making those memories.

Like I said, I think the expectations of service are based on past experiences versus promises made. Unfortunately, I think that people nowadays go above and beyond in their sense of entitlement and that really puts a strain on Disney's ability to go above and beyond when it's truly warranted. (Not referencing anyone on this thread at all). I get that Disney is expensive....believe me I get it! And I have high expectations too...there should NEVER be a dirty diaper in a drawer, and Mousekeeping should have gotten that....no question.

But, the truth is, things go wrong. Even at Disney, we are still living real life, and nothing is perfect. And, as much as we go to Disney, the chances are greater that we are going to run into an imperfect situation. We too have had less than magical experiences but overall, Disney is still a great place to visit.

OP, I hope that your next trip goes a lot smoother. :goodvibes

This is all just my opinion....If you find a dirty diaper in a drawer, you should get something for that. Now I'm not saying from a legal perspective. I'm saying from a customer service perspective. Have something to give someone as a token to make up for stuff like this, which yes, can happen. A gift card, a Mickey plush, a voucher for a cupcake at the QS ANYTHING. That's where Disney goes horribly wrong IMO. We had a housekeeping issue and even the simple words "So sorry about this" apparently could never come out of their lips.

In contrast, we stayed at Great Wolf Lodge back in May for two nights. I went to complain about one rude worker, and believe me, I didn't ask for one thing. She was just really rude and I thought needed a break or something, like it was disturbing. The general manager went to his office, then came out with 10% off our entire stay, which was worth about $150 bucks! Can you even imagine Disney doing something like that? That's the difference between a company that is hungry and a company resting on their laurels IMO.

This is all just my opinion....If you find a dirty diaper in a drawer, you should get something for that. Now I'm not saying from a legal perspective. I'm saying from a customer service perspective. Have something to give someone as a token to make up for stuff like this, which yes, can happen. A gift card, a Mickey plush, a voucher for a cupcake at the QS ANYTHING. That's where Disney goes horribly wrong IMO. We had a housekeeping issue and even the simple words "So sorry about this" apparently could never come out of their lips.

In contrast, we stayed at Great Wolf Lodge back in May for two nights. I went to complain about one rude worker, and believe me, I didn't ask for one thing. She was just really rude and I thought needed a break or something, like it was disturbing. The general manager went to his office, then came out with 10% off our entire stay, which was worth about $150 bucks! Can you even imagine Disney doing something like that? That's the difference between a company that is hungry and a company resting on their laurels IMO.

A simple Sorry goes a long way in my book.

But, maybe the problem is with consistency. I would be angered if something went wrong and I didn't get an apology (which would be all I was looking for if it's the fault of someone else).

In our experience though, Disney has gone above and beyond, especially when we were asking for nothing.

We stayed at CBR in 2011 and had a situation where our luggage never showed up to the resort (we used Magical Express). Well, with 10 days in front of us and no one coming up with answers about when we would get our luggage, I was distressed to say the least.... I had discussions with the front desk at CBR, as well as Southwest Airlines....Southwest was actually awful to deal with on this issue (and I am a fan of SW), but the manager at CBR went above and beyond in that situation, actually comping us $150 to go down to the gift shop and buy some extra clothes and supplies to hold us over until the issue was resolved. All signs were pointing to this being a Southwest issue and NOT a Disney issue - and Disney stepped up and made this right for us. They didn't have to do that, and I was sooooo grateful for what they did I literally cried at the front desk.

That's what I love about Disney. I feel like when I go there, I will be "taken care of" - but again, that expectation is based off of personal experiences and not something that they have promised to do.

Now, I hear other stories too, where people are angry because they weren't "compensated" for whatever reason - but they can't possibly appease everyone I guess.

Again, in the situation like the dirty diaper, I would have expected an apology, because that shouldn't happen.

Why do people get so twisted when someone comes here and complains?

For me, I'm the kind of person who only focuses on WDW when I'm planning my trip. I'm not a 365-day a year kind of fan. That being said, it is my absolute favorite place to vacation. That's why we've been 5 or 6 times with my family and why my husband and I are spending our 25th wedding anniversary there in February.

I've NEVER had any serious complaints about my past trips. All I do is go on and on to people about what a wonderful place it is. I am, however, very concerned about my upcoming trip in February. And it doesn't have to do with what people are saying here. It has to do with the info I'm getting right on the WDW site. I just don't like some of their new policies and I don't think they're going to work that well for us. And there definitely does seem to be more complaining and negativism in general than in the past. There have been changes that I don't think I'm going to be crazy about, and it seems that others are not crazy about them either.

You are correct about people complaining more than praising. I think that's human nature. It's the reason that when my kids were young, I would always be sure to send an email or a note to tell their teachers and administrators if I thought they (the teachers) were doing a great job. Why I've contacted other parents to tell them if I saw their child do something extra nice or kind. I personally try to praise more than I complain. Actually, I've never contacted a school to complain about a teacher - even though they haven't all been so great. I'm a big believer in teaching my kids to get used to the fact that you need to adjust and get along in life. My point is, I'm not a whiner or a complainer!

But this is sort of the place to do complaining, isn't it? It's a public forum for people to gather information. I promise that after my trip in February, I'm coming back here to let you all know what I really thought - good and/or bad. If I'm wrong about FP+ I will be the first to admit it. Actually, nothing would make me happier.

I don't think people should be criticized for giving their honest opinion.

LOl because this is the Dis. It is like the Emerald city, people don't want to hear any thing bad every happens in the emerald city.

I rarely give full truth reviews here anymore. especially lately because I feel the dining has gone way down.
You should see the flames come out when you dare to disparage Le Cellier. ;)

I tell newcomers all the time, the dis is great for information but it is horrible for objectivity. I much prefer all ears for Deb's rate and review. that site people can honestly rate without having to worry about told their "expectations" are too high.

What I can't understand is some times giving a negative review is not whining. I think Le Cellier has the worst steaks on site, that's not whining. I give my reasons for it and tell the person that ask to try alternatives yet if you say that you're always "whining". go figure.

What is so weird is that imo it's truly a "Disney" thing. I've written about horrible restaurants in Philly, NYC, Paris tons of places without no problem.

I'm sure we will be back at some point. right now, i just don't have a desire to go. Im looking at maybe doing a disney cruise (because I've heard so many wonderful things about them and it seems a little more relaxed, which is probably better for my family at this point) thanks for all of your comments!

Sorry to hear about your problems with your latest trip. Cruising with Disney can be an excellent alternative. Having completed 10 Disney cruises over the last 10 years, with 4 more scheduled, we have nothing but high praise for cruising on Mickey's :boat:. We've found that a Disney cruise can be a relaxing & enjoyable family vacation (we still hit the parks :mickeyjum for a few days before & after each cruise).
That being said, just know that Disney heavily advertises their cruises as a sort of "perfect" family vacation. But things can happen, while our cruises have been truly wonderful, we have read on the cruise boards that some folks have had less than magical cruises. We still get goose bumps when we hear the ships horn, blasting "When You Wish Upon a Star" as we head out to sea. ::yes::

LOl because this is the Dis. It is like the Emerald city, people don't want to hear any thing bad every happens in the emerald city.

I have no problem hearing about what Disney does wrong. But many people don't understand that Resort Airline Check-In is NOT Disney. It is essentially a remote of the airport. Disney has nothing to do with if someone can check their bags in at the resort or not. The only thing they could have done is helped the OP get their bags from their room to the desk, and then out to the bus. Disney can't force the airlines to accept bags.

I also find it aggravating when someone complains about not getting their room requests met. They are requests, they are not guaranteed. I've not gotten mine enough to learn that you need to be happy when you get them, and not expect them in any way, shape, or form. Again, Disney did nothing wrong.

I for one am glad to say im not the only one seeing disney falling off the top tier as well. Maybe again it was just Nov 2013 since that is when i was there and a lot of CM was below par!

As far as one big post yea was fun but got thought it ;P I personally wont say anthing about grammer just reading this u will know why! I posted a while back on my trip about a not so nice cm at BLT and well most didnt like that either so if you come on here with negitive just dismiss all the one saying it is your fault! Yes disney cant fix all problems but cut then down and make it better.

Yes i had MB and FF+ liked both had few issues mostly operator errors! (yea my wife goofed up a few times on iphone) But i went over to CM in blue shirt and Poof all fixed.

YES disney dining service has gone WAY DOWN hill! or it was just parties of 6 or more. i thought. LE cell was not even on our reservations and steaks have gone way down there i think as well from last trip 2 years ago!

i know after each trip i think to myself or talk with wife about it for the cost and what she buys on trip (trinkets and trash!) cost is WAY to much but its vacation! not going to be cheap but should be some what taken care of!

Dont let the other get you down about your post! i know how you feel! Better luck next time! And think of the positive stuff that happened not the negative! That is what i Think about :)

OP - I can relate to your post a lot. We just got home on December 4 from a 5-night trip. I told my husband while we were there that this time was the grouchiest encountered CMs in the 12+ times we have been over about 6 years. I one CM literally yell at a guest when he was frantically trying to pull up the lap bar on space mountain to make sure it was secure. I saw another CM practically yell at guests on a few other occasions. We also encountered a lack of happiness in general while we were there - including guests to CMs. Both ways, just sad to see. I've noticed a downgrade in the past few years. DH reminded me it was the holidays and probably many CMs are wishing they could be home. He is right, but still sad to see. Despite this, we will continue to return and hope our next trip is redeemable from this one. This trip was terrible for multiple reasons and not just disney's fault (we both got pretty nasty stomach bugs on our last 2 nights in addition to leaving for this trip in a pretty unexpected crappy situation). I have faith in disney:goodvibes

"Tell me what'd I say right now..hey hey,tell me what'd I say...see the girl with the diamond ring,she knows how to shake that thing,all right now now,hey hey..alllright.....:goodvibes

Sorry to hear about your disappointing trip, OP!

We just got back from our Thanksgiving week trip and overall had a wonderful time, We encountered some really great CMs.

The only CMs were really had any issue with were a few photopass photographers who seemed annoyed that we were bothering them for a photo and put no effort into it. But we did have a few other PP Cms who made up for it with their fun energy. Housekeeping forgot our room one day, we called and they sent someone down within minutes to take care of things.

Hope your next trip is better!

That sucks. I wonder if it's just time for a break? I'm not a crazed Disney fan...every two, three or four years is good for me and after my kids get older, we will find other places to experience. Disney is just to expensive to limit yourself on just that vacation-to much else out there to enjoy.

I think that after you go so many times to Disney, it is inevitable that the magic will fade (especially for us adults). Give it a couple of years and then go back.

It seems to be evident, IME, that every vacation to WDW sees a further slip away from the quality vacation that we used to be able to rely upon. It is so very sad.

I also think that the more frequently you go, the more the magic wears off and the more likely you are to encounter negative experiences. I noticed things on our last few trips that i would not have noticed on our first 3 trips. In fact, looking back, there were things that went wrong on our first 3 trips that did not phase me one bit, because I was so blissed out that I was so lucky to be at WDW in the first place. I'll admit, I've gotten spoiled. The first trip was once-in-a-lifetime, but then there was another...and another...and another. It's just impossible to retain that magic the same way from the first trip to the tenth. You start to notice small nicks in the armor, and I think eventually, you're maybe not-so-consciously looking for what is different/declined/not as good. Just think about it...you see LOTS of disappointed trip reports from repeat visitors, but first timers tend to post ecstatic trip reports. Yes, they don't know what they are missing and that plays into their euphoria, but they also are on a high of achieving the dream of getting to Disney in the first place. That euphoria eventually wears off, and when it does, it's time to take a good few years off. We did, and the thrill came back. After this upcoming trip, we've decided to take a few years off again, not because we have been disappointed, but to avoid being disappointed.

Also, the more you go, the greater the odds are that something will go wrong. The odds of something going wrong or something negative happening are greater if your total number of visits in your lifetime is 100 days than they are if your total number of visits (days) is 10.

I don't mean to discredit OP at all.

OP, did you stay at Wilderness Lodge?

VP

I also think that the more frequently you go, the more the magic wears off and the more likely you are to encounter negative experiences. I noticed things on our last few trips that i would not have noticed on our first 3 trips. In fact, looking back, there were things that went wrong on our first 3 trips that did not phase me one bit, because I was so blissed out that I was so lucky to be at WDW in the first place. I'll admit, I've gotten spoiled. The first trip was once-in-a-lifetime, but then there was another...and another...and another. It's just impossible to retain that magic the same way from the first trip to the tenth. You start to notice small nicks in the armor, and I think eventually, you're maybe not-so-consciously looking for what is different/declined/not as good. Just think about it...you see LOTS of disappointed trip reports from repeat visitors, but first timers tend to post ecstatic trip reports. Yes, they don't know what they are missing and that plays into their euphoria, but they also are on a high of achieving the dream of getting to Disney in the first place. That euphoria eventually wears off, and when it does, it's time to take a good few years off. We did, and the thrill came back. After this upcoming trip, we've decided to take a few years off again, not because we have been disappointed, but to avoid being disappointed.

Also, the more you go, the greater the odds are that something will go wrong. The odds of something going wrong or something negative happening are greater if your total number of visits in your lifetime is 100 days than they are if your total number of visits (days) is 10.

I don't mean to discredit OP at all.

OP, did you stay at Wilderness Lodge?

VP

I 100% agree with this. We go every year, and when you go often, you are more apt to take in details I think. Therefore, you are more likely to notice issues.

When I was there in Sept (after having been there in April this year too), issues like Blackbeard not being projected on POTC and the main carnatosaur being missing on dinosaur really stood out to me. But, my friend who was there at the same time didn't notice because she didn't know to be looking for those things.

Absence makes the heart to fonder....and I believe that's true. Even with Disney. We aren't taking a break anytime soon, because our children are young, we still love Disney and still have an overall awesome time! The imperfections have kind of become a game now, in pointing them out. :laughing:

DH was going crazy over the speaker for Bret rabbit that was tweaking out in Splash mountain....it sounded soooo bad....but some probably didn't notice it. By our next trip, it was fixed.

Nothing is perfect, not even Disney.

I also agree with VP and mousemommy, the more you go it does fizzle a bit.

I have had two terrible trips in a row 2008 & 2009. The first one 2008 my mom came along never again will I go with family. It was miserable but that wasn't Disney's fault. 2009 we had financial issues but decided we worked hard all year and we would still go. I think I had a touch of depression about said financial issues because I was miserable that trip thinking about the money we spent that I could have put toward something more important instead of relaxing and enjoying our vacation. 2009 trip hated the crowds felt ripped off hated rude pushy guests. Miserable!!! Once again not Disney's fault, my attitude sucked and I was miserable so every thing around me was miserable.

But 2010 we became DVC and financial issues are gone and I have had 5 awesome wonderful trips since then. I really think it is attitude and where you are in your life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter