Just read what my credit card company is going to do to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband told me a bankrupcty lawyer would laugh at me. This is all we owe on actual loans, 80,000-land payment, 8,000-chase, 5,000-furniture loan, and a very small loan on my inlaws land that will be paid for in six months. Thats it. He currently makes 22-24 bucks a hour and me 14 and hour, full time. He even gets overtime some.

My husband told me a bankrupcty lawyer would laugh at me. This is all we owe on actual loans, 80,000-land payment, 8,000-chase, 5,000-furniture loan, and a very small loan on my inlaws land that will be paid for in six months. Thats it. He currently makes 22-24 bucks a hour and me 14 and hour, full time. He even gets overtime some.

Exactly....you're not bankrupt....not even close. You just need to get on a budget so you know where your money is going.

No, I am still here. Thanks for all replies. I agree on a lot of what many have suggested. You know, it really is sad, I have a husband who refuses to budget, buys any and just about everything he wants, and I get really nothing much, except the three vacations to Disney in the past few years. I do guess it might be hard to believe that we have a 2000 sq. ft house with a full nice basement for his man cave paid for in full, and we do not have a car loan at all out. Yes, we do owe like 80 grand on 15 acres of land behind the house we borrowed to fininsh it two years ago, but the house and 15 acres of land are paid in full. A big chunck of my next vacation will be paid for with Disney reward dollars, irony is'nt it. (If we go) I pay that bill in full each and every month, and chase is making no money on that one. I am just collecting the reward dollars. I am very depressed not only about this, but my finiancial life with my husband too. He makes great money, and I make good money, but his needed lifestyle is making it really hard on me. I do believe though that this is going to be a blessing that I really can't see right now. He just bought himself a 4 wheeler just last night with cash, 800 bucks and there is nothing I can do about it. We are a ticking time bomb just waiting to blow, but I feel as though that time bomb really is going to have to blow in order for him to see what I have known for years. Our credit has always been great, and I mean great, but good things do come to an end.

I'm sorry, ShellyLynn - you have a bigger problem with your husband than you do with Chase. If he won't get on the same financial page as you, I fear for your future together.

I'm very sorry for your stress and I understand it. You sound like a person who can tolerate little debt who married a person with a mindset of, "hey, I make good money- we're fine!" I'm like you- I get stressed by financial obligations and the cure for me is to not carry debt. Luckily my DH is like me but I can imagine the stress if he wasn't.

Given your financial picture- I would suggest calling Chase and asking for relief. If that doesn't work, then start looking for a card to transfer to. If that doesn't work maybe sit down with your DH and the bills and help him see that you need to part with some of the stuff he buys to pay down the $8000 to a balance that you can afford the payment on.

Best of luck!

I'm sorry, ShellyLynn - you have a bigger problem with your husband than you do with Chase. If he won't get on the same financial page as you, I fear for your future together.

Well, we talked about it, and this has opened his eyes! :banana::banana:This is a blessing in -well I don't know how to spell it!:lmao: You now what I mean! He realizes he is going to have to work more with me. This is my only complaint of him, hes a great dad, a great son to his mother, a hard worker and he really does love me. And I do know where our money is going. Every single month I have a list of what we made and where it went, believe me I am very good at this. We are going to pay it every month and not let Chase get the better of us!! He realizes he is really going to have to get on the same page with me now.

In a way...in a sad way, many of you crack me up. No one was discussing bankruptcy except Chase. But many of you read that and started to assume that OP was considering that and taking a trip to WDW in the future.

I'm sure OP has unsubscribbed from this thread as I'm about to do. I can't believe the 'holier than thou' additudes. So what that she has $8000 in debt. She had a plan and was making consistent payments. Life doesn't need to be put on hold while she has CC debt. If she has multiple CC, was over her limit, and was still charging then yeah - she's out of control.

CC debt is not the new shame we must bear. Unreasonable spending and begging for a hand out is but not just because you carry one CC debt.

This is the reason that the Dis has it's reputation (yeah it really does) of being an unfriendly place. Too many assume and then just blast opinions.

I'm staying off the budget forum from now on. You all don't play nice.

I'm truly sorry that some always feel that the BB is judgemental. I respectfully disagree.

I fail to see how responding to the threads of people who feel that they are in financial crises (whether they actually are or not) with, " go on vacation, you deserve it, it will be fine" is helpful. Pixie dust is nice but unfortunately doesn't pay the bills! The OP originally said that $8000 had her considering bankruptcy. If that was the case, then it's past time to cut every extra.

I do not mean to be judgemental. I'm truly frightened by this economy and very fearful for family and friends who continue spending as if nothing has changed. I have made changes to save more and spend less to try and make myself feel more secure.

If your husband returned the 4-wheeler he just bought, you could put that 800 dollars right towards the card. I think its more then just opening his eyes to the problem, he essentially is the problem and he needs to realize that.

Good luck! :cheer2:

Well, we talked about it, and this has opened his eyes! :banana::banana:This is a blessing in -well I don't know how to spell it!:lmao: You now what I mean! He realizes he is going to have to work more with me. This is my only complaint of him, hes a great dad, a great son to his mother, a hard worker and he really does love me. And I do know where our money is going. Every single month I have a list of what we made and where it went, believe me I am very good at this. We are going to pay it every month and not let Chase get the better of us!! He realizes he is really going to have to get on the same page with me now.

I'm glad to read this! Best of luck to you and your husband in getting your finances under control. :)

If your husband returned the 4-wheeler he just bought, you could put that 800 dollars right towards the card. I think its more then just opening his eyes to the problem, he essentially is the problem and he needs to realize that.

Good luck! :cheer2:

Well hes not going to return that, but he realizes that changes need to be made. And that is a blessing. God has truly blessed us beyond measure and believe me I can't understand that everyday, but maybe this is his way of getting my husband attetion. He has ssooooooooooo many "toys". Two horses, horse trailor, tractor, trucks, very nice camper, boat, chuckwagon, bobcat, and others, and they are all paid for. And I do admit, he does work his butt off, and has used some of these items to make money, but gosh. I will add that he did work on a previous home we owned for nine years, had to resell it and make the money we had to build our new home. He is a hard worker. I don't know if growing up not having nothing made him this way, but I did'nt have anything growing up either. I just needed to vent a little.:laughing: I think he is starting to see my way of money is really the smart way.

In a way...in a sad way, many of you crack me up. No one was discussing bankruptcy except Chase. But many of you read that and started to assume that OP was considering that and taking a trip to WDW in the future.

In the original post the poster did say she may have to consider bankruptcy because her minimum payment was going from $160 to $400. She put it on the table for discussion. I don't see anyone being holier than thou.

I think it would help if you stopped thinking that "my husband makes good money" - you guys have a little over the MEDIAN household income in the U.S. You are better off than more than half of Americans. And that's great - you have the advantage of jobs that can offer you security. But the reason I suggest you stop thinking this, and HE stops thinking this, is that it becomes a horrible trap of "we can afford that - we make good money!" I suspect your husband is particularly prone to this.

No one was discussing bankruptcy except Chase. But many of you read that and started to assume that OP was considering that and taking a trip to WDW in the future.
With all due respect, I think you may have misread the original post.

In her first post, OP said:

I will either have to transfer this balance elsewhere or really consider bankrupcty.

That's why many of us "assumed" that she was considering bankruptcy - because she said so herself. I don't think, at that point, it was unreasonable for folks to suggest she reconsider her planned Disney trip.

OP- you mentioned that your husband owns a chuckwagon? What on earth is a chuckwagon? I assume we're not talking about the thing a cowboy bellies up to at the end of the day for grub before snuggling by the campfire with his can't-quit-you boyfriend?

He has ssooooooooooo many "toys".

Two horses, horse trailor, tractor, trucks, very nice camper, boat, chuckwagon, bobcat, and others, and they are all paid for. .

Sell one or two of the toys and pay down your $8000 credit card-down to $4000-then you can afford the monthly payment.

OP- you mentioned that your husband owns a chuckwagon? What on earth is a chuckwagon? I assume we're not talking about the thing a cowboy bellies up to at the end of the day for grub before snuggling by the campfire with his can't-quit-you boyfriend?

Not the OP, but where I live that's pretty much what it is. I don't own one but I'm considering hiring one to come out for a holiday party. They cook your grub and then play fiddles, dulcimers, guitars while you eat.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Its like a golf cart thing that you can travel your property in. Its called a chuckwagon. Both of our girls just love it, I can live without it though!

I think it would help if you stopped thinking that "my husband makes good money" - you guys have a little over the MEDIAN household income in the U.S. You are better off than more than half of Americans. And that's great - you have the advantage of jobs that can offer you security. But the reason I suggest you stop thinking this, and HE stops thinking this, is that it becomes a horrible trap of "we can afford that - we make good money!" I suspect your husband is particularly prone to this.

Well, I am thinking that that is good money for where we live. I have no education, and he does have some. What is the median income level? Just curious?

No offenses ShellyLynn, but Sk!mom's chuck wagon sounds way more entertaining than yours. Hers comes with a dulcimer and duling banjos. I'd trade your boring one in for one of her entertaining ones.

OMG , I can just picture a literal chuck wagon and how it would be welcomed up here in hip hop country. :rotfl2:

Median is a little over $50k.

I'm not saying you guys are broke - I'm saying watch the trap of thinking "we make good money, we can afford....." Its a psychological thing. Especially when a person is married to a spouse who enjoys his (or her) toys - that money spends fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter