Just out of curiosity...

We love Disney Dining and I always have a list of wish list restaurants. I am often teased that if we went to all the restaurants I want to try, we would never go to the parks! LOL!

I do not plan my parks or my touring around my ADR's though. I see people try to do that, and unless they are willing to drop meals, they can spend a lot of time running in and out of parks trying to get to ADR's. I plan the parks and the time of day I want to be in each park. From there, I plan the ADR's keeping in mind the schedule for Wishes and Illuminations. This works for us, but certainly is not the only touring strategy out there.

Heck yes! The food and drinks are one of my favorite things about WDW. This next trip in March is going to be a little less foodcentric as it's just a quick trip and focused on the kids. We had an adult trip last Feb that was an eating and drinking bonanza! I still have a goal of eating at Homecoming tho! That's my only restaurant requirement :)

Used to be that way. In the last couple of years, we've gotten kinda tired of the food and it's just not as good to us as it used to be. YMMV.

I understand exactly what you mean. When my girlfriend told me we had to shorten our trip from a 12 to a 10 day visit and I had to cut out some of the restaurants on our list I cried a little on the inside.

Since it's just us two adults in our 40's the dining experiences are as much of thing to look forward to as the rides.

As an adult couple we do foodie holidays, book ADR's at 180 days out, then book FP+ around where we are planning to eat.

I absolutely plan my day around where I want to eat! That's often the first thing I decide on, and all my other plans spider out from there. Of course, that's not much different from everyday plans for me...I do love to eat.

Ditto. This is true even of nearly all vacations even if I can't book the reservation. I know what's around where we're going to be, where I might like to eat and then it spreads out from there. Or the plan for dining is made when I know where I'm going to be. Either way, vacation is about eating as much as sightseeing. Food is never grab and go. It's always a restful, leisure part of the vacation.

I've planned a large part of my solo trip next week around food. It's my 5th Disney trip and I'm eating at all new restaurants with the exception of California Grill (haven't eaten there since 2009). I'm really looking forward to checking out some of the lounges too.....it's going to be great!

I think the answer is "both/and" for me.

Food is a huge part of the vacation fun for us. However, we plan our days first and then plan the restaurants that fit well into those plans. We used to waste lots of time transporting ourselves literally all over the World getting to/from ADRs, but now we just pick places that are close by our activities. There are enough great places at WDW that we don't feel as if we are missing out if we don't make it back to a particular restaurant. We've ended up trying a number of places that fly under the radar this way and have been really happy with the outcome.

I am sitting here reading every single menu for every single restaurant in the entire Disney Resort, planning where we will be going for breakfast, lunch and dinner two years from now and getting my heart broken into a million pieces because there's not enough days in my vacation to hit all the places I want to eat in. So, then I got curious...

How many people out there actually plan their days around where you will be eating that day??? Do you make your meals a part of your vacation just as much as visiting the rides, or do you really not care and just grab something quick on the go?

I did it once when with 4 adults and 3 kids and we had the dining plan. We ended up wasting some meals at China and Norway for instance. Also, they love character buffets which took forever. I went with my family and we did all the nonfancy ones. I went alone and dressed up for all the fanciest ones. I am a foodie

At WDW, dining is often less about the food, and more about the entertainment. As I am sure you have gathered, many WDW restaurants are themed. If there are not characters, there is other entertainment like the ukulele player and coconut races at Ohana. Or the oompah band at the Biergarten. Or the animal viewing areas at Sanaa. I don't know of any resort you could go to and find more themed dining experiences than at WDW.

It can be a pain to travel to/from the resort restaurants and the parks. So I generally make an ADR each day that is convenient to where we expect to be that day. Doing this adds structure to our days, and it becomes an integral part of how I make our touring plan.

Yeah, I am not too concerned with menus as much as I am with the experience and type of cuisine. I figured I can eat a burger any time here at home, so I am focusing on places that may offer something different.

Yeah you can but the Burger at Rose and Crown is really good as well as the STicky Toffee Pudding. As well the Wave but get it on a Pretzel roll instead of the roll it comes on. As well as the de constucted Key Lime Pie!!!

There are certain TS restaurants that we make ADR's for and don't want to miss, but no way do we make them for every day as it would take away from our vacation. We happily eat at several CS places that we enjoy, but don't have to reserve a slot of time for.

We plan our meals around where we will be and what we will be doing. On our last couple of trips, we've found that TS meals are more of a pain and take up more time than we want to spend eating, so we do less and less of them.

Because you have to do the ADR SO crazily far in advance, we choose what we want to do (we use the DDP) book that, and then plan our park days based on which ADR we have, it feels odd to do it that way round, but it makes sense, and actually makes it more relaxing.

We never plan our WDW trips around the food. The vast majority of it is just mediocre, at best. But that really depends on what you are used to at home and the type of restaurants in your are.

How many people out there actually plan their days around where you will be eating that day???

1) MANY people do this.
2) I usually plan my days as to where I want to go for drinks or wine.
3) After all, remembering a great Single Malt Scotch or great bottle of wine can hold fonder memories than a steak . . . assuming we CAN remember.

I plan my park days first, then dining around that.

I caution you to not get your heart set on the menus/restaurants as two years out is a long time to plan ahead.

Also, with all the park additions there may be some really neat restaurants added!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter