Just off Fantasy. Interesting experiences!

TLLCanada

Mouseketeer
Our 2nd DCL cruise on the Fantasy. We had booked second seating, had it confirmed by Disney. Arrived at port to find out Disney put us in first seating. Bizarre. There's A huge wait list for 1st seating so I have no idea how we ended up getting 1st seating when we asked for 2nd. Got it changed but lost out on an excellent seating assignment for a dungeon in the back all week. We weren't pleased.
2 medical emergencies on board. One in the middle of the night that required a medivac out in the lifeboat and another on the final sea day day that required us to turn the boat around and sail back to Grand Turk. Still managed to get to castaway on time.
Royal Tea was a highlight. I brought my son and he got spoiled rotten. Pricey but worth every penny. I highly recommend it. For boys they were giving out Duffy bears, swords, shields, autograph books, pens, keychains, collectors pins (4 in total), 5 minute interaction with each princess, commemorative photo in a frame. The tea is a disney production with music, singing, dancing, etc and limited to a small #of kids.
A child got stuck on the aquaduck when we were in line. They had to walk up from the bottom to rescue her.
Weather was good. Water in st. Maarten and Castaway was fine.
Food much better this year than last. They had pretzels on the last sea day.
Character experiences much better run this year. Military precision to get as many kids through as possible. Saw a few almost blow outs between parents though. Some people were taking up big groups to get photos and doing an individual photo of everyone plus a large group one plus several combinations of people in their party. Given the appearances were for only 15 minutes the crowds were not pleased when the line got cut off to accommodate this. Kids crying that they wouldn't get to see Cinderella, parents mad they waited so long only to get cut off, etc. oh my.

Pretzels on the last sea day? My husband loves pretzels, but I think I am missing something here. :confused3

I've been right behind a big group taking multiple pictures. This was on formal night, before dinner.

One with all the kids, one with just the girls, one with just the boys, Grandma with the kids, couples, moms and daughters, each family, each family with Grandma, you get it. With that many people, it doesn't always go fast.

I put on the comment card that people wanting more than 5 different poses should make appointments to come REALLY early. If they normally set up at 5 pm, they should make appointments available for multiple poses between 3 and 5 pm.

The dining room doors opened and we were next in line. Every one behind us was late or left the line. It was my favorite background so I was sticking it out.

Pretzels on the last sea day? My husband loves pretzels, but I think I am missing something here. :confused3

we recently came off of a two week b2b and we had pretzels every day. they were at the pizza station place. they had melted butter and cinnamon sugar out so you could flavor them up. they were in the shape of mickey heads and were very good.

As far as the character business, not sure what they can do. Too many people--too few characters.

They can't expect the characters to stand out there all day long.

I too just off fantasy
Couple notes that may help others that I had not read previous to this being my second cruise in 12 years, this time just wife and I.
I must say the ship was top quality in finish and features
Duties on purchases on and off ship on eastern port stops, $800 limit for St. Maarten and on ship per person I believe and $1600 for St. thomas per person, have not un packed yet, and 1 liter of alcohol. We as a couple were almost at the amount to pay duties due to jewelry purchases in st. Maarten. Had we known these details prior to cruise or arrival to islands we probably would have purchased in st. Thomas rather than st. Maarten. We went to the shopping presentations and they highlighted duty and tax free but none of the customs/duties details at return. We did not buy much, but I saw others making some big purchases. I would just research the duties if you might make some major purchases on or off the ship so you are prepared when you disembark at end of cruise.
St. Maarten did butterfly farm: farm ok, rest of tour terrible, could not understand driver, had to go back to port after start as other bus did not have enough room. The villages are very run down, took us to other side of island for hour stop to shop, just trinkets and bobble souvenirs, nothing we wanted. We ended up leaving three people behind as we waited 30 more minutes but they never showed. Dropped us at shopping district near ship at end, which was better but not fantastic. Bought some jewelry. In the end we had wished we had just gone to the shopping district and the large beach right there. We took water taxi back to ship and that had some nice views of ships and beach there.
St. Thomas Trunk bay at St. John, like all have said long trip for short stay at beach, maybe two hours at beach. Yes water is beautiful looking, was overcast and small amt of rain. No waves, water was cloudy, limited corral and fish for snorkeling,water was clearer at castaway cay. The water was a pleasant temp. 30 min water taxi to port then 20 min winding road open truck ride to beach. By the time back to ship it was about 1pm and back on ship time was 3:45. And we were a little tired so no taxi to downtown. Here I wish we had done some tour that dropped us off downtown at end as I have been to downtown in the Navy and it is nice and enjoyable.
Another note: time change of hour forward down and back upon return. It can cause issues if all clocks are not adjusted as everything is on a time schedule, I believe that is what happened to folks left behind on tour.
Note: we had some rough seas first two days at seas, which surprised me as the sea was just swells not white caps or waves, and having been on small Navy ships in same areas,our stabilizers served us well, but not on the fantasy. I very much get seasick, noticed motion but seemed to get use to it, was surprised. Still think something wrong with such a large ship feeling that much motion and I made sure we had a cabin mid ship lowest point for least motion, I believe that is why they put most of the sit down dining there also. Cabin 2548, considerable banging of metal ovr head at later times of night, thought strange as they must know rooms are below,was no worry as we were tired at end of day
Had dining table mates for first time and loved all of them, in fact plan on staying in touch.
Food at Mdr, I would say ok and ok choices,desserts almost always great.
Did palo brunch and dinner,as they are more relaxing, make sure you go hungry for brunch, you will enjoy much more, dinner was great, again go hungry.
Fast service Cabanas and flos/mater grill, loved them great choices changed daily at some
We ate most bkfst at Mdr as we enjoy the sit down service, always great.
Being with out kids it was fun to see all the cute kids and the meltdowns that we were able to just walk away from.
I did not want to turn this into a trip report but highlight some items as Canada had.
Do I really have to cook for myself now????
Any questions I will try to answer

As far as the character business, not sure what they can do. Too many people--too few characters. They can't expect the characters to stand out there all day long.
They can manage it better though. We have been on cruises where they have announced one photo per family because it has been a long line. That stops a larger family who wants photos with each child and then parents and then just boys and just girls eta taking up 10 minutes.

Just announcing it at the time will likely cause trouble from those large family groups who still want to hog all the time.

Maybe a permanent policy regarding character photos? I'm sure they could come up with something that people would then know in advance--

I can't imagine there are ever SHORT lines for the characters.

I too just off fantasy Couple notes that may help others that I had not read previous to this being my second cruise in 12 years, this time just wife and I. I must say the ship was top quality in finish and features Duties on purchases on and off ship on eastern port stops, $800 limit for St. Maarten and on ship per person I believe and $1600 for St. thomas per person, have not un packed yet, and 1 liter of alcohol. We as a couple were almost at the amount to pay duties due to jewelry purchases in st. Maarten. Had we known these details prior to cruise or arrival to islands we probably would have purchased in st. Thomas rather than st. Maarten. We went to the shopping presentations and they highlighted duty and tax free but none of the customs/duties details at return. We did not buy much, but I saw others making some big purchases. I would just research the duties if you might make some major purchases on or off the ship so you are prepared when you disembark at end of cruise. St. Maarten did butterfly farm: farm ok, rest of tour terrible, could not understand driver, had to go back to port after start as other bus did not have enough room. The villages are very run down, took us to other side of island for hour stop to shop, just trinkets and bobble souvenirs, nothing we wanted. We ended up leaving three people behind as we waited 30 more minutes but they never showed. Dropped us at shopping district near ship at end, which was better but not fantastic. Bought some jewelry. In the end we had wished we had just gone to the shopping district and the large beach right there. We took water taxi back to ship and that had some nice views of ships and beach there. St. Thomas Trunk bay at St. John, like all have said long trip for short stay at beach, maybe two hours at beach. Yes water is beautiful looking, was overcast and small amt of rain. No waves, water was cloudy, limited corral and fish for snorkeling,water was clearer at castaway cay. The water was a pleasant temp. 30 min water taxi to port then 20 min winding road open truck ride to beach. By the time back to ship it was about 1pm and back on ship time was 3:45. And we were a little tired so no taxi to downtown. Here I wish we had done some tour that dropped us off downtown at end as I have been to downtown in the Navy and it is nice and enjoyable. Another note: time change of hour forward down and back upon return. It can cause issues if all clocks are not adjusted as everything is on a time schedule, I believe that is what happened to folks left behind on tour. Note: we had some rough seas first two days at seas, which surprised me as the sea was just swells not white caps or waves, and having been on small Navy ships in same areas,our stabilizers served us well, but not on the fantasy. I very much get seasick, noticed motion but seemed to get use to it, was surprised. Still think something wrong with such a large ship feeling that much motion and I made sure we had a cabin mid ship lowest point for least motion, I believe that is why they put most of the sit down dining there also. Cabin 2548, considerable banging of metal ovr head at later times of night, thought strange as they must know rooms are below,was no worry as we were tired at end of day Had dining table mates for first time and loved all of them, in fact plan on staying in touch. Food at Mdr, I would say ok and ok choices,desserts almost always great. Did palo brunch and dinner,as they are more relaxing, make sure you go hungry for brunch, you will enjoy much more, dinner was great, again go hungry. Fast service Cabanas and flos/mater grill, loved them great choices changed daily at some We ate most bkfst at Mdr as we enjoy the sit down service, always great. Being with out kids it was fun to see all the cute kids and the meltdowns that we were able to just walk away from. I did not want to turn this into a trip report but highlight some items as Canada had. Do I really have to cook for myself now???? Any questions I will try to answer

I'll be on the Fantasy next week and have a couple of questions: (1) was Aquaduck open when you first get on board before muster drill? (2) did you notice if any kids had the new magic bands for the kids club? (3) what day was the deck the deck party? (4) did they have any dessert treats on a morning at sea?

Thanks for all this information! Very much appreciated! Our cruise is next week and we are so excited!!

Tell me more about the Royal Tea.

What would the total be for 1 adult and 2 kids?

Does the photographer take lots of pictures with the princesses? Will this tea give us all our princess fix....meaning we will be able to skip the princess meet and greets cause we can see them all at the tea and take photos with them all??

Do the characters also sign the autograph book?

This sounds spendy, but I would pay the price to avoid standing in any more lines than I have to.

When did they do the gingerbread house making? Do you need to sign up in advance or is it something you just show up for? We leave next Saturday!!

When we had our picture with Mickey on golden Mickey night, we were limited to one per group. They wouldn't even allow one single one which I collect since my name is Mickey.

When did they do the gingerbread house making? Do you need to sign up in advance or is it something you just show up for? We leave next Saturday!!

Gingerbread house making was on the second sea day. There were three time slots - 9:00, 10:45, and I think 12:00 or 12:30. Definitely go; it was lots of fun. You need to go to guest services as soon as you board to get tickets.

To Magic25. I will have to ask a family to answer your questions as it was my wife and I only.

I'll be on the Fantasy next week and have a couple of questions: (1) was Aquaduck open when you first get on board before muster drill? (2) did you notice if any kids had the new magic bands for the kids club? (3) what day was the deck the deck party? (4) did they have any dessert treats on a morning at sea?

Just off Fantasy also. Aquaduck was open, but too cold for most. No magic bands for kids clubs. I may have missed it, but no deck the deck party that I know of. Dessert treats? Can you be more specific?

Sent from my IPad using DisBoards.

Thanks for all this information! Very much appreciated! Our cruise is next week and we are so excited!!

Does the photographer take lots of pictures with the princesses? Will this tea give us all our princess fix....meaning we will be able to skip the princess meet and greets cause we can see them all at the tea and take photos with them all??

This sounds spendy, but I would pay the price to avoid standing in any more lines than I have to.

It is $279 for 1 adult and 1 child, and each additional child is $210. So total for the three would be $489.

Aquaduck was open but closed for Muster drill.
No new magic bands at kids club- same GPS trackers as last year. No plans to bring Magic bands in anytime soon apparently.
Deck party- I assume you mean the Pirate party? It was the day we were in St. Maarten (tuesday.
I don't eat dessert for breakfast, so I wasn't looking but certainly I don't remember seeing anything other than donuts at breakfast.

Royal Tea was AMAZING.
Cost for me and my son was $279.
Here is the rundown of what happened.....
When we arrived (it was on a PORT day so be forewarned....) at 3pm my son was given a card with his name on it. He passed his card to the Royal Caller who announced his arrival as "Prince Thomas" and he was formally presented to Lady Chamomile and then taken to his seat by the Royal Court.
We were seated with another family at our table. Apparently they limit seating so as to make the experience very enjoyable for each child.
At his place setting was a Duffy bear, sword, shield, autograph book, Disney pen, special name sugar cookie and lanyard. The children and adults were served fruit tea (caffeine free) and a small plate of scones (6 total for the table) and finger sandwiches (about 10 total if memory serves). Lady Chamomile and Chef Gaston did a whole song and dance that the children loved.
Then the princesses were introduced one by one. With each arrival the children got a small gift. The princesses visited each child individually, spoke to them for a few minutes, signed their autograph books and had photos taken by the Shutters photographers. We had Cinderella, Princess Bella and Princess Tiana. Then the children joined in a dance with the characters. After this the Royal Servers delivered specialty cupcakes for the children and chocolate dipped marshmallows. At the end the children were all invited to pose for a formal pic with the three princesses. The next day a beautiful framed 8x10 photo of my son with the three princesses appeared in our stateroom.

Was it worth it? For kids- definitely. For the adult- it wasn't worth it as all I got was a cup of tea and one scone but the experience was worth the price of admission.
My son was one of only 2 boys and there were 10 little girls. The girls got American Girl princess dolls, autograph books and music boxes.
If you hate the character lines and want your child to have an individual meet and greet that lasts more than 30 seconds, you get to kill 3 birds with one stone and have a fantastic memory and great pics for the cost.
Would I do it again- not as a repeat experience, but I would definitely recommend for a first timer.

Gingerbread was Sunday morning. With the time change on the Eastern Caribbean though it means more like an 8am start than 9am.
It was included for my kids as we were in concierge, so I can't tell you anything about the cost of it or how to sign up for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter