Just Joined!

Thanks for the thoughts! We're hoping to move ahead soon and not hold out. When we looked at the point charts, it seems like AKL requires less points per night/week when it comes down to it. (Same with SSR) So, that seems to be a better idea, then also factoring in contract length.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Points are points and if you have 100 of them you can stay at animal kingdom with BC points and vice versa. The only reason home resort matters is for the 11 month booking privilege (which is not to be underestimated) and other factors like length of contract and annual dues. If you probably really want BC accommodations anyway why would you buy AKL? AKL is one of those resorts that you can usually book even at peak times due to it's size anyway.

I may be missing something so I apologize for that in advance if that is the case.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here. Points are points and if you have 100 of them you can stay at animal kingdom with BC points and vice versa. The only reason home resort matters is for the 11 month booking privilege (which is not to be underestimated) and other factors like length of contract and annual dues. If you probably really want BC accommodations anyway why would you buy AKL? AKL is one of those resorts that you can usually book even at peak times due to it's size anyway.

I may be missing something so I apologize for that in advance if that is the case.

Points are points, yes, but some resorts require fewer points per night, so you can either stay longer at those or go more often, or book a 1 bedroom instead of a studio, or just get by with fewer points.

I THINK that's what the poster meant.

The economic advantage to owning at AKV is the ability to book value rooms. Typically these rooms are not available at the 7 month window and they do offer a tremendous savings. Of course, I'm not sure what the point is of staying at AKV and not having a savannah view, but if cost is a primary factor then I could see doing that.

That being said, I don't see any value to purchasing direct at AKV anymore. Sure when the resort first came online it was a huge novelty and it wasn't a bad deal, but now at $145 per point (less discounts) and resale prices hovering in the $60-75 range it's a foolish purchasing decision. Furthermore, unless you are going to consistently stay during peak DVC times, or in AKV value rooms or concierge level rooms, there is no real reason to own at AKV. You can get most of the other rooms most of the time at the 7 month mark and you could have the 11 month window elsewhere.

Points are points, yes, but some resorts require fewer points per night, so you can either stay longer at those or go more often, or book a 1 bedroom instead of a studio, or just get by with fewer points.

Yes true enough but I guess I was just thinking that if you own 100 points at say BC you can of course use them for the lower points at AKL (standard views) mostly anytime you want at 7 months. Plus then you have BC points for the inevitable trip during FW. Again it boils back to thinking long and hard about which resort you buy for the 11 month advantage in case you need it. Just food for thought for the OP.

Yes. Thanks!

And, thanks all for the congrats!!! :)

The economic advantage to owning at AKV is the ability to book value rooms. Typically these rooms are not available at the 7 month window and they do offer a tremendous savings. Of course, I'm not sure what the point is of staying at AKV and not having a savannah view, but if cost is a primary factor then I could see doing that.

Maybe I'm the minority... but I really don't care for a view regardless of where I'm staying. We were just at AKL last week and I was happy staring at the savannah for about 10 mins but beyond that... I'm good... Would I pay extra for the view? If it was just for me, no. But, that's just me.

Also, it has always been my hubby and I alone traveling and we don't usually cook on vacation so I've never needed a room bigger than studio. We have a little guy now... so, I'd take a 1 bedroom if it is available, but staying in a studio isn't a dealbreaker either.

But you must own at least one qualified contract (i.e. bought directly from Disney or purchased resale before March 20, 2011) to be eligible for the member cruise.

I didn't even KNOW there was a member cruise!

Do you have to have enough direct points to go on the member cruise, or just have one eligible contract (and supplement with resale points or pay cash?)

I didn't even KNOW there was a member cruise!

Do you have to have enough direct points to go on the member cruise, or just have one eligible contract (and supplement with resale points or pay cash?)

You just have to have an eligible contract. You don't even have to use your points, you can pay cash for the whole thing.

Congrats! Thanks for the update. Now all you need to do is sit back and relax, and in no time (read 10 weeks) the points will be yours! :) What are you going to do with all the money you saved? Mickey bars, right?

A lot of Mickey Bars I guess :) :cool1:

You just have to have an eligible contract. You don't even have to use your points, you can pay cash for the whole thing.

Oh, this is so good. When we were at DVC direct meeting, we heard them say something about not being able to combine points?

Eligible contract as in direct contact only? Are resale buyers eligible for the members cruise too by paying cash? Just wondering.

Eligible contract as in direct contact only? Are resale buyers eligible for the members cruise too by paying cash? Just wondering.

Either direct from Disney or a resale before the restrictions were imposed in March 2011.

Resale buyers not meeting that requirement are not even allowed to pay cash for a member cruise.

Oh, this is so good. When we were at DVC direct meeting, we heard them say something about not being able to combine points?

They may have been referencing the fact that if you have one contract that is eligible (direct or resale purchased before March 2011) you can use those points to pay for a member cruise, but cannot use a non-qualified contract (resale bought after March 2011) to pay for the cruise with points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter