Just Joined!

misslissa

DIS Veteran
My hubby and I just joined DVC on Saturday after years of considering it. It was kind of a last minute thing... but we have rented points, done our research and were half going in knowing that we'd purchase. Seeing the incentives through Disney direct made us jump, please tell me how much you love DVC!

Congratulations! I'm thinking of buying a small GFV contract tomorrow. I'm curious, what incentives were you given and what is your home resort?

I have just joined as well! I see your last stay was Marriott Grande Vista. We stay there sometimes as well, but I wanted to also be able to stay at VGF during the holidays :) I too did a lot of research and feel like most people that are members really enjoy being members, so that made me feel comfortable.

Hope you enjoy it!!! Where is "home"?

My hubby and I just joined DVC on Saturday after years of considering it. It was kind of a last minute thing... but we have rented points, done our research and were half going in knowing that we'd purchase. Seeing the incentives through Disney direct made us jump, please tell me how much you love DVC!

I have just joined as well! I see your last stay was Marriott Grande Vista. We stay there sometimes as well, but I wanted to also be able to stay at VGF during the holidays :) I too did a lot of research and feel like most people that are members really enjoy being members, so that made me feel comfortable.

Hope you enjoy it!!! Where is "home"?

Did you all buy VGF as new DVC members? I thought they were only selling to existing members right now?!?!?

We have been DVC members since 2010 and we LOVE it! We have 200 points at BLT and just added 100 at VGF, and it's really been fantastic. We've stayed at BLT, AKV, BWV and BCV, and this October, we're already booked in a one bedroom at VGF! Our kids are 12 and 14, and regular size rooms just don't suit us anymore, so it's been ideal from that standpoint. Plus, I used points to pay for two of us for a cruise next April, which really helped to lower the cost. Congrats on your points, and "welcome home":)

Welcome home. New to Dis but been a DVC member for 5 years and just added on! It gets addicting so watch out.

I did! My paperwork will not go through until June 19, but I am "in the queue" :cool1:

Congrats!!! And Welcome Home!!! Kinda smart to get in the queue as I think this will sell out fairly quickly (not to mention price will rise).

We have been DVC members since 2010 and we LOVE it! We have 200 points at BLT and just added 100 at VGF, and it's really been fantastic. We've stayed at BLT, AKV, BWV and BCV, and this October, we're already booked in a one bedroom at VGF! Our kids are 12 and 14, and regular size rooms just don't suit us anymore, so it's been ideal from that standpoint. Plus, I used points to pay for two of us for a cruise next April, which really helped to lower the cost. Congrats on your points, and "welcome home":)

Please do not take this the wrong way, I just want to helpfully provide another point of view for you, or anyone else looking at the cruise, for the future. :thumbsup2

I don't know what cruise you picked, so I just picked one in April (the 7 night Eastern Caribbean). It is 207 points per adult for standard inside stateroom + $95 transaction fee, total 414 points + $95. If those were all BLT points you paid $4.50 x 414 points = $1,863 + $95 = total cost to you for cruise $1,958. This cruise is currently selling for $3,034.24 for the same stateroom for 2 people. So you saved $1,076.24 from the retail rate by using points!

But, if you were to rent your points out with David's at $11 per point, that would net you 414 x $11 = $4,554 - cost of points (414 x $4.50 = $1,863) = $2,691 "profit". Then buy the same cruise for $3,034.24 = total out of pocket for you = $343.24 :cool1:

By renting and paying cash you only "spend" $343.24 vs. $1,958 (or savings of $1,614.76).

Now, this means that you have to feel comfortable renting your points out. Going through David's is fairly safe and you don't have to worry about much. You just get your $11 per point. Another consideration is you don't get all the cash up front from David, so that could be an issue. On the plus side, you have more flexibility when paying for the cruise with cash with changes and cancellations. If you are open to renting you could even try to list points yourself and get $12 or maybe even $13 for an advance 11-month BLT reservation making your cruise "free" (or no cash out of your pocket).

You will have to see which stateroom/cruise works best for your situation, but I just wanted to give you some food for thought ;)

Please do not take this the wrong way, I just want to helpfully provide another point of view for you, or anyone else looking at the cruise, for the future. :thumbsup2

I don't know what cruise you picked, so I just picked one in April (the 7 night Eastern Caribbean). It is 207 points per adult for standard inside stateroom + $95 transaction fee, total 414 points + $95. If those were all BLT points you paid $4.50 x 414 points = $1,863 + $95 = total cost to you for cruise $1,958. This cruise is currently selling for $3,034.24 for the same stateroom for 2 people. So you saved $1,076.24 from the retail rate by using points!

But, if you were to rent your points out with David's at $11 per point, that would net you 414 x $11 = $4,554 - cost of points (414 x $4.50 = $1,863) = $2,691 "profit". Then buy the same cruise for $3,034.24 = total out of pocket for you = $343.24 :cool1:

By renting and paying cash you only "spend" $343.24 vs. $1,958 (or savings of $1,614.76).

Now, this means that you have to feel comfortable renting your points out. Going through David's is fairly safe and you don't have to worry about much. You just get your $11 per point. Another consideration is you don't get all the cash up front from David, so that could be an issue. On the plus side, you have more flexibility when paying for the cruise with cash with changes and cancellations. If you are open to renting you could even try to list points yourself and get $12 or maybe even $13 for an advance 11-month BLT reservation making your cruise "free" (or no cash out of your pocket).

You will have to see which stateroom/cruise works best for your situation, but I just wanted to give you some food for thought ;)

OMG what a buzz kill . :offtopic:

Great breakdown!!! Glad I'm going resale. :) We will be cruising some years and plan to do exactly that.

This thread is so completely off the rails it's not even funny. First off, I'm pretty sure it should be in the Mousecellaneous section because it doesn't really pertain at all to purchasing DVC, it's more like a cheerleader type thread. But that's neither here nor there. Here's what I find interesting. This post below is actually trying to tell the buyer that they could actually save money using their direct points to book a cruise, and that they actually did a good thing. They're wrong, of course, but we'll save that for later.

Then BestDadEver comes in and calls this poster a buzz kill. While somewhat insulting, it's also kind of funny. Sorry that math is killing your buzz.

OMG what a buzz kill . :offtopic:

Here's the real problem:

Great breakdown!!! Glad I'm going resale. :) We will be cruising some years and plan to do exactly that.

It's not a great breakdown, it's an awful breakdown. It completely ignores the purchase price of the BLT points, which are approximately $3.50 per point right now. That actually makes the cruise more expensive by using points, not less. The analysis then goes on to say that if you rent out your points and use that money to pay for the cruise then the cruise is actually "free". Again, this is flawed analysis. There is a big difference between something that is free and something that is cash flow positive.

In the end, these types of threads rarely go well. An OP will come on here and start an "I did this so tell me why it's awesome" type of thread. They don't want to hear any actual thought or analysis, they're just looking for some cheerleaders. They'll get some of that, then they'll get someone else (sometimes it's me, but not this time) asking them thought provoking questions, and then inevitably there's someone who chastises the ideas person for not simply being a cheerleader. This thread has a dash or two of poor analysis and misinterpretation thrown in for good measure. It's all very strange.

To the OP, I'm glad you are happy with your purchase and I hope it works out well for you. :)

Which was your favorite out of all the places you stay. I would like to buy into somewhere that have two bathrooms. Would a 1 bedroom have two bathrooms?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter