Just got off the Fantasy First time on DCL

dwight16

DIS Veteran
so just got off the fantasy for my families first disney cruise. well i do have to say it was the best cruise we have ever been on overall. the boat was in perfect condition and our room was real big 6104. loved the double shower bathroom part great getting ready. Dining was awesome we got 3 nights in Animators pallet we also were table 82 we were apart a larger group of 9 so we got the middle table at royal court and Crush talked to our family first or it seemed that way. the food was amazing there were a few misses here and there we felt the burgers were god awful but that was about it. we were not used to how the ran the buffets compared to other cruises just had a learning curve tried to take my DD to the buffet at 6pm before dropping her off so we could go to Palo but it was not what i thought it would be....no worries..PALO was off the charts awesome and for the 30 i think its well worth it.
Now some things we did not like.....first i think the family pools are too small and kids just sit in there all day and watch movies i get it that is fun for a kid BUT i know its just a bathroom for them at least 2 times they had to shut them down for poop and clean them in the middle of the day. i thought that was real gross. second the middle of the ship was always insanely busy like needed a traffic cop. also the shops had awful stock i swear they had no LG or XLs for any men's clothes also my wife had a hard time finding her sizes also. this bothered me considering you have a captive 4200 people on board would OBV have a lot of money to spend. Now none of the Negatives are real negatives but just things we noticed.

SO will we go on another. Not sure maybe in 3-5 years i am having a hard time with the overall costs. since we are DVC members we felt the cruise did replace a park week. ALSO we sat down and looked into doing a 3 or 4 nighters next june on the dream and prices were well over 3k i was like i can pay cash for a room at the yacht club for the week. SO taking money out of it this was the BEST CRUISE VACATION we have ever been on AND CASTAWAY CAY is our favorite place on earth.

Just wondering...
Is the full show at Animators on the first night or the second night that you were there.
Planning for a cruise in August and want to do Palo's but don't want to miss the big show.
Glad you enjoyed your cruise.
Thanks for any info...

Just wondering...
Is the full show at Animators on the first night or the second night that you were there.
Planning for a cruise in August and want to do Palo's but don't want to miss the big show.
Thanks for any info...
The first time you are in Animator's is the Crush show. The second time (unless it's Pirate night) is the Animation show. If your second time in Animator's is Pirate night then the Animation show in the third time you dine in there.

Last edited:
Just wondering...
Thanks for any info...

Good question! I was on the Fantasy a few months ago, but it would be good to hear from someone who just got off how they do it now. OP?

Good question! I was on the Fantasy a few months ago, but it would be good to hear from someone who just got off how they do it now. OP?
I was on the same cruise as the OP. We were in AP 3 times, so yes, first show was the Crush show, second time was Pirate night (so no show), third time was the animation show.

We had Remy reservation on day 3, so I asked my TA to put in a dining request so we don't get AP on night 3 (I didn't want to miss either show) and we ended up with the RAERAAE rotation.

On the Fantasy a couple weeks ago we only had Animators two nights total. Crush was the first night and the drawing the second - both were so fun!

We were also on this cruise and ALSO on the same dinning rotation as you guys. It was our best cruise ever too..we went on the Magic a few years ago and the Fantasy BLEW US AWAY..while the magic left us wanting more. I agree about the pools..my kids kept asking to go and I was just blunt with them and pointed out how you cant even move in the pool and its likely not very clean. It was just gross looking...thank god for the splash areas though. I also didnt understand why the kiddie water areas had to close at 6pm..We thought this was so strange and lame. But overall, this cruise was amazing we had the best time.

so just got off the fantasy for my families first disney cruise. well i do have to say it was the best cruise we have ever been on overall. the boat was in perfect condition and our room was real big 6104. loved the double shower bathroom part great getting ready. Dining was awesome we got 3 nights in Animators pallet we also were table 82 we were apart a larger group of 9 so we got the middle table at royal court and Crush talked to our family first or it seemed that way. the food was amazing there were a few misses here and there we felt the burgers were god awful but that was about it. we were not used to how the ran the buffets compared to other cruises just had a learning curve tried to take my DD to the buffet at 6pm before dropping her off so we could go to Palo but it was not what i thought it would be....no worries..PALO was off the charts awesome and for the 30 i think its well worth it.
Now some things we did not like.....first i think the family pools are too small and kids just sit in there all day and watch movies i get it that is fun for a kid BUT i know its just a bathroom for them at least 2 times they had to shut them down for poop and clean them in the middle of the day. i thought that was real gross. second the middle of the ship was always insanely busy like needed a traffic cop. also the shops had awful stock i swear they had no LG or XLs for any men's clothes also my wife had a hard time finding her sizes also. this bothered me considering you have a captive 4200 people on board would OBV have a lot of money to spend. Now none of the Negatives are real negatives but just things we noticed.

SO will we go on another. Not sure maybe in 3-5 years i am having a hard time with the overall costs. since we are DVC members we felt the cruise did replace a park week. ALSO we sat down and looked into doing a 3 or 4 nighters next june on the dream and prices were well over 3k i was like i can pay cash for a room at the yacht club for the week. SO taking money out of it this was the BEST CRUISE VACATION we have ever been on AND CASTAWAY CAY is our favorite place on earth.

Yeah, Cabanas is NOT a buffet in the evenings.

I am glad you had such a nice time. I agree that CC is a very special place! I hope you get to go again!

Oh there was a live out break in the kids area that was not a fun letter to get on the last night!

My wife and I have always referred to the family pools as "kid soup". The hot tubs are "kid cauldrons". None are appealing to us in the slightest.

My wife and I have always referred to the family pools as "kid soup". The hot tubs are "kid cauldrons". None are appealing to us in the slightest.
Yeah - I'm so thankful pools were not a novelty for my kids who got more pool time than they wanted with swim team. We loved the cruises but once or twice in the pool per trip was enough. Hot tub? Forget it!

Dwight, glad you had a great first cruise!

Oh there was a live out break in the kids area that was not a fun letter to get on the last night!
Whatt??? I was on ur cruise and My kids were in the club every day and we didn't receive a letter....omg

Thanks for the info happy you had a great cruise!
Can you tell me more about the buffet and how it differed?
Thanks
Kerri

Yes sorry auto correct yes we got a letter the last night about lice in the kids club. Our kid is so far clean. For the cabanas they limited the times more strictly then other cruise lines and dinner was not a Buffett it was a sit down thing. Did not experience it just passed by.

I have heard the pools were a lot busier/crowded on DCL than on other lines. I haven't been on any other cruise lines so I wondered about it. We usually don't use the pools but I do wish there was a way DCL could make the situation better. Not sure how they would though.
I noticed the adult pools were crowded too (at times).

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. Do you remember who the captain and the cruise director were?

MUN

the captain was Marco and i dont remember the CD name but he was from south Africa and he had a round face a either blond or redish hair. i also did noticed compared to other cruises they really try and steer you away from the buffet i dont mind it i like the main dining rooms esp the ones of the disney boat! also doing the Fish extender was really awesome my wife and daughter got into it

The pools are the things that keeps me hesitant on booking another cruise. We love to swim and those things are just too tiny. We LOVED CC though. For less money, I can spend the week at a really nice beach resort in the Caribbean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter