Just found out my mom has cancer

Hello everyone,

I've been to visit my mom a couple of times in the palliative care unit at the hospital. I must say the nurses are so caring and just wonderful. During our first visit a nurse was able to help mom into a wheelchair and we "kidnapped" her and took her outside in a nice warm, sunny day. Managed to do a couple of circuits around the hospital grounds.

We just got back from visiting her yesterday and she was just too tired and weak to get out of bed and go anywhere. She speaks in a low whisper and you have to really concentrate to hear what she has to say. My daughter came with me this time and she is finding it terribly hard to see her beloved Grandma weaken more and more. Mom wants to listen to her favourite music (classical and opera) so I went out today and got her a little iPod shuffle. I've loaded tons of music on it for her and will pass it on to my brother who will be seeing her tomorrow. That way she doesn't have to wait until I am able get away from work and see her again. I just wish I could say she was getting better but I hope she does find some comfort in her favourite music.

Thanks for listening everyone - this helps me so much.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I am sure your mum will find great comfort listening to her favorite music, it was very thoughtful of you to organize the ipod.

It is so hard to watch someone we love in this situation:hug:

Thinking of you, your precious mum and your family:grouphug:

Quasar

prayers for you, your mom & all her loved ones. Prayers of comfort & peace. You sound like you have been blessed with "one of those moms". God bless each moment you spend with her & each moment you spend being "one of those moms" because of how she taught you by being herself.
Moms like that are treasures. God bless you all.

Just got back from overnighting in the palliative care unit at the hospital. My two brothers and I are taking turns spending the night with Mom. Her sister is there too. Mom just doesn't want to be alone. The cancer has spread to her brain and she thinks that sometimes she has to get to work or remember to put money down on a house. Things like that - she does know who we are so that's something. Her right hip is also broken as the cancer has completely invaded there. So she remains in bed with a morphine drip. They are also giving her ativan as she can get anxious and panicky at times. She sleeps most of the time - thank God - and seems to have the pain under control. The doctor has said it really is a matter of days at this point. I've been doing all my crying and grieving now - I just don't think I have anymore tears left. Thank you to everyone on Disboards for your support and hugs.

I've been remembering your Mom and you in my prayers since you first started the thread. I am so sorry you are in this place. I was there 5 months ago with my Mom and I know what you're going through. As I read your post, my tears started again (it doesn't take much for me these days). Please know that all of us here are with you.

Prayers & Hugs:grouphug:

I've been remembering your Mom and you in my prayers since you first started the thread. I am so sorry you are in this place. I was there 5 months ago with my Mom and I know what you're going through. As I read your post, my tears started again (it doesn't take much for me these days). Please know that all of us here are with you.

Prayers & Hugs:grouphug:

Thank you so much Brian. I am so sorry for you loss as well - Moms are the best. :hug:

I Run Long I will continue to keep your mom and your family in my thoughts and prayers. God bless your family.
My dad passed on June 27th.

I Run Long I will continue to keep your mom and your family in my thoughts and prayers. God bless your family.
My dad passed on June 27th.

I'm so sorry you lost your dad. :( You are in my prayers each and every day. :hug:

Yesterday my Mom lost her battle and passed away - she is no longer in pain from this terrible disease. We were all there when she passed and were able to give her our goodbyes and love. I am just so lost without my Mom, I loved her so much. Thank you to all on the Disboards for listening to my journey and supporting me throughout. I love you Mom.

Yesterday my Mom lost her battle and passed away - she is no longer in pain from this terrible disease. We were all there when she passed and were able to give her our goodbyes and love. I am just so lost without my Mom, I loved her so much. Thank you to all on the Disboards for listening to my journey and supporting me throughout. I love you Mom.

I am so very, very sorry. :sad1: I do know what you're going through, having lost my mom 8 years ago this month to lung cancer. :hug:
If you want to talk, send me a PM.

Joining because I'm going to be walking this road with my dad now. What makes our journey hard is that I have extensive health issues and am testing for a rare type of cancer as well. I wish I could take his cancer from him. I'm strong enough to beat it. I've fought for my life once, I can do it again. The only thing I can do is sacrifice myself and walk my road alone so he won't have to walk his alone.

Joining because I'm going to be walking this road with my dad now. What makes our journey hard is that I have extensive health issues and am testing for a rare type of cancer as well. I wish I could take his cancer from him. I'm strong enough to beat it. I've fought for my life once, I can do it again. The only thing I can do is sacrifice myself and walk my road alone so he won't have to walk his alone.

I am truly sorry to hear your news. It is so hard to "stay strong" as I hear from friends, family and well-wishers. You do have to allow yourself those moments of "weakness" and cry. Hugs and prayers to you and your Dad. :hug:

I am truly sorry to hear your news. It is so hard to "stay strong" as I hear from friends, family and well-wishers. You do have to allow yourself those moments of "weakness" and cry. Hugs and prayers to you and your Dad. :hug:

Thanks! I appreciate it! Seems like all I've done for the last few days is cry. But I'm trying to stay strong too. I hope it'll all be OK.

Oh my goodness I just lost it at my computer. I just broke down. I lost my dad to Cancer about 7 months ago, so it's sour spot in my heart still. She sounded like an incredible women who was very strong and brave. Always remember that the same strength and values are inside you and inside your heart. I have no doubt in my mind she's now in a perfect body watching over you guys, happy and without any health problems :lovestruc

Stay strong, she's watching over you, so you have to reflect that and make her proud-much love.

I Run Long so sorry for the loss of your mom. You and your family will stay in my thoughts and prayers.:grouphug: Please PM me anytime you need to talk

I am so sorry for your loss:hug:

I lost my dear dad six years ago from lung cancer.........he never smoked and was only 61........he died three weeks after being diagnosed........it was/is devastating.

Such a dreadful disease.........

I just got back to this thread after a few months. I'm so sorry to read you lost your mother but, as you say, her struggle and pain have ended. By now I hope you & the family have had a chance to grieve and know how blessed she felt to have you there til the end.

Best wishes to you & bless you all.

I am so sorry for your loss:hug:

I lost my dear dad six years ago from lung cancer.........he never smoked and was only 61........he died three weeks after being diagnosed........it was/is devastating.

Such a dreadful disease.........

You're right it is a devastating disease with seemingly no rhyme or reason. You know when I tell people that I loss my mom to lung cancer I still get the perplexed look along with, "I didn't know your mom smoked!" When I explain that she didn't they are completely astonished - most still don't know that you don't have to be a smoker to develop lung cancer. It is also the only cancer I know of where there is this stigma attached to it. Almost like it is that person's fault. No one says to someone who develops breast cancer, for instance, well it's your fault for having breasts. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter