Just Close Hollywood Studios And Start Over

We are planning to go back in two years so I hope they have something new in HS by than. We enjoyed the park last time we were there so would love to have something new next time we are there. I would hope they would start at the front of the new areas and build backwards so they can open new stuff as it's finished. Seems like you would want to get stuff up and running as soon as possible to make money. Not sure how they compete with US as they seem to have one or two new things almost yearly. Since last time we were here 2 years ago there is more Harry Potter stuff and there will be King Kong and the new water park...how can US open a whole new water park in a matter of a year or two and Disney seems to have issues open one ride in to or 3 years? Seems to me they need to step it up and get things done quicker so they can draw people back sooner. AK is our favorite park so I'm excited to see the new stuff when we are back in two years! And hopefully there will be something new at HS by than. Might end up cutting back our days at Disney and try something new if there isn't enough draw for us as my kids are getting older and want more thrill rides.

We could take or leave HS, but we always spend one day of our WDW week there. We mainly go for the hilarious entertainment at 50's Prime Time Café. We like to go on Toy Story Mania and The Great Movie Ride in the morning; eat at 50's Prime Time for lunch; take a pool break at our resort, and return for dinner and Fantasmic at night. When we were there for Christmas, we loved Osborne Family Lights. For thrill riders, there are good options. Don't forget about the "Beauty and the Beast" show.

I think closing it entirely would affect people's employment and be a bit too drastic.

Now that the Animation building is closing it's time to just shut down the Studios and re-open when the (alleged) Star Wars and/or (also alleged) Cars Land expansion is done. This place is a sad shell of what it used to be and only has a couple of things worth doing at this point (Toy Story Mania, RNRC, and TOT). I know it's a time of transition, but to keep this place open and running while still calling it a "Disney" park is ridiculous.

Not at all. Sorry, that place still has a lot to offer. You may not think so, but you're forgetting about all the people who are coming for the first time - which are the majority. That park is still a full day park, especially for young children, if you take in all the shows, character M&Gs etc...

I'm questioning the ticket price vs worth it ratio. My complaint is the areas that are being closed now are sitting empty. Why not leave the attractions open until the day before construction begins? Some of the closures weren't big ticket attractions, but the CM cost to cover it couldn't have been high and it helps thin out the crowds. At this point, I say shut it down and let's get it done.

Not at all. Sorry, that place still has a lot to offer. You may not think so, but you're forgetting about all the people who are coming for the first time - which are the majority. That park is still a full day park, especially for young children, if you take in all the shows, character M&Gs etc...

Future World alone at Epcot has more to do the DHS does after these closures as does just any two lands at Magic Kingdom. It's not worth it at full price.

Future World alone at Epcot has more to do the DHS does after these closures as does just any two lands at Magic Kingdom. It's not worth it at full price.

Maybe not to some of you. But there are others who disagree. And let's face it - most people are not paying $100 to enter the park. They're using multi-day tickets, that work out to far less. For us, with 8 day passes, it works out to $42 per person. The average person with multi-day passes is only paying $40-60 for their park entry, and yes, it is most definitely worth that. Easily. Would I spend $100? No. But I wouldn't spend $100 for one day in any park.

HS has been by far my husband's favorite park, and the children also loved it, and have been begging to go back. So, no, not everyone thinks it's a crap place. Which was a nice surprise, too, by the way it gets bashed on here. After being on these boards, listening to everyone run it down, I was wishing we could skip it altogether, but DS insisted we go. I went expecting to be in and out quickly and not enjoy much. Thankfully, I listened to my kids, and not the negativity here, otherwise we would have missed a great park.

I think the Muppets is a goner for Star Wars, location-wise, IMO. Plus, it's old and it was put in to fit with the Studios theme, since that's what they are doing in it, making a movie. I'm not sure how far out they can build, the park is kind of land-locked by the roads and maybe wetlands? On the bright side, we will probably get to enjoy it for the next ten years anyway ;)
Well, I guess you could say that it is surrounded by wetlands, but it's Florida, right? The whole thing was swamp will Walt bought it. There's actually a pretty nice chunk of land beyond RNRC and the Animation building all the way to Cypress Drive. There are some offices back there in the bungalows and some parking lots, but certain space. They could also expand into the cast member parking lot as there is a lot of green space just beyond the parking lot where that could be moved to. Behind the area of Star Tours, Mama Melrose, etc., is a huge chunk of unfinished land. Osceola Parkway is back there, but if memory serves, that's really it until you get to Wide Waste of Space... er, Wide World of Sports. ;)

Maybe not to some of you. But there are others who disagree. And let's face it - most people are not paying $100 to enter the park. They're using multi-day tickets, that work out to far less. For us, with 8 day passes, it works out to $42 per person. The average person with multi-day passes is only paying $40-60 for their park entry, and yes, it is most definitely worth that. Easily. Would I spend $100? No. But I wouldn't spend $100 for one day in any park.

HS has been by far my husband's favorite park, and the children also loved it, and have been begging to go back. So, no, not everyone thinks it's a crap place. Which was a nice surprise, too, by the way it gets bashed on here. After being on these boards, listening to everyone run it down, I was wishing we could skip it altogether, but DS insisted we go. I went expecting to be in and out quickly and not enjoy much. Thankfully, I listened to my kids, and not the negativity here, otherwise we would have missed a great park.

If you enjoy it, sure, but compared to the other parks it's getting very lopsided.

At least the way they are dissecting it for work will keep the Osborne Lights around this year and maybe next. That "dead end" in Animation Courtyard will get fixed likely. Honey I shrink the Kids playground and the Little Mermaid show, not so much. Those are probably the next two things to close, then Lights Motor Action and finally Muppetvision and Indy. It'll take years to get that far though.

While I managed to inject a slight bit of exaggeration in the title, the logic of closing the whole park just wouldn't work, I realize that. But it's a dream.

And if we're dreaming, how about this to make this dream of closing HS for refurbishment reality:

1)Tear down the old Wonders of Life pavilion at EP, throw TOT on a flatbed and drop it there.

2)Then, flatten Tom Sawyer Island, build a couple of nice pedestrian bridges, and put Toy Story Mania there.

3)Lastly, take RNRC over to Dinoland at AK so Steven Tyler and the boys can hang with the rest of the fossils.

Keep Star Tours for the whole Star Wars land about to come.

With those rides gone, HS could close and be reimagined with no meddlesome tourists to bother anyone.

I'm really going to miss the animation building. But I really loved it back in the day when Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams had the intro show, and your tour took you past the real animators!! But I did enjoy the drawing class! Now my family looks at HS as a 1/2 day thing. Usually our "swim" morning and HS in the late day.. also not too many dining choices (table service) to choose from either!

This might be a back handed compliment, but I kind of love the studios. It's the only park I can do in one day and feel that we did everything. Toy story, muppets, tower of terror, great movie ride, star tours, brown derby, fantasmic, mermaid. For us, that's a full day!

We consistently go for one day every year during our vacation and weirdly it's usually our best most productive day. That said, we wouldn't say no to a Stars wars place or cars land.

I am one that feels that this park can be done with a late start to see/do everything and not go back for the rest of my 10-day trip. Truthfully, if it were not so spread-out, we could say the same about EPCOT. I love my Disney trips, but it is changing rapidly and 5 years from now, it will not be anything like the Disney we all knew and loved even in 2012.

For me, the most disappointing thing about Animation Studio closing is the removal of a cooler place for characters to meet with guests. It kept them out of the heat and direct sun, which was fantastic for them.

What I can't deal with is the constant news of things closing and nothing but rumors that have been swirling for years about what's actually coming in.The park needs multiple additions to the park,major additions that will change the park around because it seems like the only reasons to come to this park are the 3 big rides and the Osborne lights in Christmas.I'm not a huge fan of their Star Wars weekends or Frozen summer events,the fireworks for them are cool but overall I think they're too overhyped up for what they are.At least right now I'm hearing we might actually hear news of what additions are coming in August during the D23 convention,they better be good.

I don't want to lose the Butterfinger cupcake at Starring rolls. If they relocate it somewhere else then I say close it and build fast!

Closing an entire park would ruin the Disney experience for other visitors, as the 3 other parks would likely exceed capacity on a regular basis, and would eventually lead to even higher costs with increased demand. DHS is very similar to AK, a few thrill rides and a lot of filler rides to justify a visit. Bottom line, you control whether or not to buy a ticket to enjoy the Disney experience that is being offered. We have skipped parks before when major refurbs were happening (TT at Epcot).

They really should have done that at AK as well.
7a11.jpg

My big thing is the animation academy. Love to do that multiple times when I go. I hope that gets moved somewhere. Aside from TSMM, RnR, ST (and the no longer existent WiR and BH6 meet and greets) and Fantasmic DHS is becoming just completely pathetic.
I hope we get a quick update regarding Animation Academy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter