Just Close Hollywood Studios And Start Over

I think visitingDHS is going to depend on your touring style and ride preferences. For us, we would only go if we had park hoppers. Then all would be rope drop the park, ride great movie ride and rock n roller and head out. We wouldn't use a regular day pass there. That is just us though. Others may enjoy enough of the shows to justify it the cost.

We don't have trips planned for awhile so hopefully we'll get lucky and AK and DHS will be awesome when we return.

As to "is the park a half day park or not" depends on the families preference. We can stay there all day and just watch the Citizens of Hollywood sets without feeling the need to do anything else.

But you're also a local AP holder and tour way differently than someone who is taking a comparatively rare trip to Disney. If you miss something you can come back tomorrow or next week and catch it instead.

I do wonder what is going to happen to VoTLM? Something tells me that is on the chopping block too. Maybe they will turn that building (OMD and Mermaid) into a mega Pixar gift shop.

I also agree that VoTLM is probably going to be the next thing to close. It doesn't fit with the Pixar theme of that area, and it's that last thing left in that strip of attractions that are apparently now closing.

I think visitingDHS is going to depend on your touring style and ride preferences. For us, we would only go if we had park hoppers. Then all would be rope drop the park, ride great movie ride and rock n roller and head out. We wouldn't use a regular day pass there. That is just us though. Others may enjoy enough of the shows to justify it the cost.

We don't have trips planned for awhile so hopefully we'll get lucky and AK and DHS will be awesome when we return.

Personally, if DHS is going to be a big construction zone and if some new attractions aren't going to open for years, I think that they should allow "free" hopping on a day that includes a DHS admission. Maybe even allow guests to split their 3 FP+s at two different parks if they use DHS as one of those parks. With this announcement, I know that I'm now looking to change our plans for October and do a half day at DHS and a half day elsewhere, and we used to spend 2 days at DHS. I'm sad and disappointed and just want to know what they have planned!

What used to be my favorite park now gives me maybe 4 hours of entertainment. Usually end up leaving by 1 and going to a water park or even Universal.

I would have to disagree with the OP. We were just there last month and had plenty to do. The only thing we did in the Animation building was see Sorcerer Mickey. We did hope to take the drawing class but had so much else to do that we didn't get around to it. Still lots of fun to be had.

Add me to the group that thinks folks WAY overblow the idea that HS is a shell of a park.....
Dan

I do feel it's like a shell of a park. Don't forget, that some people, like me, do not ride ToT and RnR, so as more things close, my options of things to do gets even more limited, since I don't go for those thrill rides. I love Star Tours, one of my favorite rides in WDW, and I really like Fantasmic! so I will still be going to HS on my next trip. I feel like B&B and VOTLM was a one and done for me last year, but I will probably do them again this year to fill in some time. I do want to see the Osborne Lights for the first time. I know I won't be spending a whole day there. I will sleep in that morning and I will also take more time to do shopping/browsing that day, as well as maybe make it a point to try and hit more Photopass photographers since I have Memory Maker. I loved this park when it first opened and when it was a working studio. Now, I really do not see how they can justify a park ticket being almost $100 for a single day entry.

They built all of EPCOT in 3 years. You would think they would have new attractions and lands built sooner.

If you have never been to Disney or have only been there once or maybe twice before in the last 15 years, there is certainly enough to do at the studios. 5 rides, 3 shows involving Disney animation musicals, a bunch of action shows, a few character meets and greets, dinner and an evening show can certainly get a new or returning visitor through a day.

The problem appears to be the level of repeat value offered by some of the rides and shows for people who have been there a dozen times (which is not the average park goer).

Closing it down while under construction makes very little sense.

Just looking at what has and is closing ... you can definitely see that they are clearing out one side of the park (see Satellite map from Google Maps that I ugly edited).

I put everything in red that is closing ... I would highly suspect the things in Blue (Light's Motor, and Muppets) would close too (But they simply can't do that now as the park would definitely be low on attractions.

Attachments

• DHS.JPG
    DHS.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 81
Does anyone know if the Honey I Shrunk The Kids play area will close. My kids will be upset LOL.

To make up for less attractions, what they've should have planned for is to plus or upgrade the remaining open attractions, i.e. new shows for Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast theater (whatever it's called) and Little Mermaid. Maybe add more street-mosphere characters. Something different that may not be too expensive for Disney to change, yet can provide repeat visitors new entertainment until these new areas are built.

I maintain y'all are being too pessimistic about timing. Disney did a 1.1 billion dollar, 4 land redevelopment at DCA which took in its entirety 5 years. Disney starts this in 2016 and has it ready for re-dedication October 1, 2021.

Does anyone know if the Honey I Shrunk The Kids play area will close. My kids will be upset LOL.

There are strong rumors that the play area will close, and quite possibly Voyage of the Little Mermaid. (Although not necessarily all at once)

They should let you park hop between AK and DHS without paying for the park hopper feature. Both are 1/2 day parks.

Just looking at what has and is closing ... you can definitely see that they are clearing out one side of the park (see Satellite map from Google Maps that I ugly edited).

I put everything in red that is closing ... I would highly suspect the things in Blue (Light's Motor, and Muppets) would close too (But they simply can't do that now as the park would definitely be low on attractions.

Thank for that. Yeah, pretty interesting. Definitely looks like that entire red section of park is going to be re-purposed. Unfortunately the timing for our family isn't right. This year may be our last WDW trip in a LOOONG time. Our kids are at an age where other options (cruises, touring the good 'ol USA) are as good or better than Disney. Not sure if we'll make it back for any of the big plans Disney may have for HS.

Dan

They should let you park hop between AK and DHS without paying for the park hopper feature. Both are 1/2 day parks.

For repeat guests I kind of agree (more-so for AK than HS actually), but first time visitors will still find AK and HS full day parks.

Dan

I love DHS. It has been my favorite park since my first visit when I was 8. I miss many things that have gone away such as Superstar Television and The Disney Stars and Motorcars Parade, but it has always remained my favorite. I agree with the above poster who said that he/she and the family can go and just watch Streetmosphere. I'm the same way. Well, I might change it up and go watch the characters in front of GMR, sit outside Muppet Vision 3D, and have a cupcake on Commissary Lane, but the point remains. I'm not liking what appears to be going on, though. It seems like the park is about to get a MAJOR overhaul and it makes me nervous. I don't hate change, but I hate when they change something I love into something I don't love. I'm not a Star Wars fan. I enjoy Star Tours, mostly because it is one of my daughter's favorite rides, but have never felt a desire to go to SWW. I can see the benefits of expanding the Star Wars presence, though. It's a no-brainer. I don't like the idea of expanding it by getting rid of things I do love, though, like Muppet Vision 3D. Toy Story Midway Mania is okay. It's probably my least favorite ride in the park, but I still do it and enjoy it well enough. I thin Pixar could have a bigger presence, as well. But they have already gotten ride of Backlot Tour. Expand there. And expand out. Don't take away Animation Academy and One Man's Dream. Disney needs a place in the park, as well. It doesn't need to be Star Wars, Pixar, and Old Hollywood land. Expand Disney. Expand Pixar. Expand Muppets. Expand Star Wars. And, for the love of egg cream, let people know what is going on. As is, I worry that I'm going to be faced with either skipping my favorite park or knowing that my family is going to be bored and just going to appease me.

Thank for that. Yeah, pretty interesting. Definitely looks like that entire red section of park is going to be re-purposed. Unfortunately the timing for our family isn't right. This year may be our last WDW trip in a LOOONG time. Our kids are at an age where other options (cruises, touring the good 'ol USA) are as good or better than Disney. Not sure if we'll make it back for any of the big plans Disney may have for HS.

Dan
Ya .. DHS has been my favorite park since it opened and had that "movie magic" theme (as MGM Studios).

Now that theme is all but gone yet I am still going this summer for a short trip (2 park days) .. I think my family (my family (wife and Son (3)) and my wife's sister's family (two girls 4 and 2) will enjoy it despite the few attractions (even though they can't go on Star Tours and my wife insists they shouldn't go on Great Movie Ride simply because of the scary Alien scene) .. I know what to expect .. I just hope the in-laws aren't disappointed when there is ONE ride the whole family can go on (Toy Story).

It's a weird park as it is the only place to do Disney Junior stuff .. but only has one ride FOR those toddlers. A lot of the shows may be too noisy or just not hold preschoolers attention. Luckily the summer fun Frozen stuff adds some value for the preschoolers. I was EXPECTING to spend some time in the Animation building for some meet and greets. Hopefully they move them somewhere. We know they have the space.

I can't see going back anytime in the next few years for a full day until there are some new (permanent) attractions. I'll just use a park hopper on one of my future AK days or schedule some time on a Star Wars weekend.

But as stated many times above .. newcomers that come to the park will have plenty to do .. though I feel sorry for them that they missed the "movie magic" theme in its prime.

Iam soooo confused reading through all of this... We are going to Disney August 18th this year... What will be closed in Hollywood Studios when we visit?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter