We thought we were "terminated" with Disney, but "we'll be back"

Best sound proofing I have ever found is at the Hilton Garden Inn LBV. It was so good if you are in the bathroom you can shout on top of your voice and still not be heard in the rest of the room.

Firstly, how did you figure that out?
Secondly, I can see that being a huge downside if you've forgotten your towel.

Disagree about HRH. We immediately requested a room change upon arrival as there was a hen party in the room next door to us and we heard every. word.

Disagree about HRH. We immediately requested a room change upon arrival as there was a hen party in the room next door to us and we heard every. word.
Mostly the shouting goes the other way, me shouting at Mathew to get him out of the Bathroom but either way we couldn't hear each other in that room.

Off site townhouses amd condos are wonderful, for half the price! I have never understood how disney gets away with their room prices.

Off site townhouses amd condos are wonderful, for half the price! I have never understood how disney gets away with their room prices.
Because they have a product people are willing to pay a premium for.
I have stayed onsite 6 times with various deals and offers, personally I won't pay anywhere near rack rate but I can fully understand why people do.
On the other hand I can't see the attraction of townhouses or Villas, tried both and prefer a hotel even offsite.

Kath. Hen party noise in any hotel anywhere in the world is hardly a normal yard stick!

Because they have the location - which always demands a premium. Being able to walk from my room at BLT and be at the gates to MK in less than 15 minutes is worth it to us.

Also whilst I don't mind fending for myself a bit when on holiday - I don't want to do it all. I pay a cleaner at home to do the jobs none of us like why would I start doing them myself on holiday?

Like Wayne I'd stay in an offsite hotel rather than a villa/townhouse. At the moment though family trips are onsite as the ease makes the cost worth it.

I know a lot of us on this thread have only children too so space is less of an issue. Whereas if I had 3 children for example I can see a villa would make more sense.

i have 3 children and although i sometimes struggle to find a room that its us in at a decent price ( i dont need a suite or a baby grand piano?)i would rather spoon my eyes out than look at villas !!

no way am i making my own bed on holiday

Because they have a product people are willing to pay a premium for.
On the other hand I can't see the attraction of townhouses or Villas, tried both and prefer a hotel even offsite.

Also whilst I don't mind fending for myself a bit when on holiday - I don't want to do it all. I pay a cleaner at home to do the jobs none of us like why would I start doing them myself on holiday?

Ditto both of these (although unlike Elise, I sadly don't have my own cleaner at home!) We have done a few self-catering/look after yourself type holidays, and whilst we're ok with those in the UK, when I'm abroad, I like a bit of looking after.

We also didn't want to drive a car in the US, and the much-maligned WDW transport system is a real bonus for us, as is the DME. We don't mind the buses at all. It also means I can plan a trip for just me (still a relatively new driver, and definitely not happy to drive in the US) and my Mum (who can't drive) without having to worry about transport in the slightest. It might not be the quickest at all times, but I really don't have to stress about it!

@chmurf - I read your whole post not long after you posted it, and didn't realise I hadn't responded. Sorry it was such a bad experience for you guys with the hotels this time. I've nothing helpful to add that hasn't been already said, but much sympathy for you and your family.

Agreed. I too have a cleaner at home and I'm certainly not cooking and cleaning on holiday or driving for ages of a morning in traffic to get to my destination. I loved the OKW one bed villa. But I never turned the oven on ha ha. Appreciated the washer/dryer. And my DH is great at ironing

But I never turned the oven on ha ha. Appreciated the washer/dryer. And my DH is great at ironing
The ovens actually work!!! I thought they were there to make it look homely :rotfl2:

Not a fan of washing on holiday but when there for 3-4 weeks a few fresh clothes are great. Although I don't mind doing a load of washing I have no idea how to operate an iron.

Kath. Hen party noise in any hotel anywhere in the world is hardly a normal yard stick!

Perhaps, but I think it was more the interconnecting door that was the problem. We could hear conversation, but no one was shouting and screaming. I imagine that a family with a couple of young kids, or the TV turned up would make similar noise - certainly a crying infant would. Once we moved to a room without a connecting door, it was fine.

Count me in for fending for myself on holiday. I don't mind making the bed (it takes like 90 seconds) or doing a load of laundry (particularly since there is no option but to toss it in the dryer, it couldn't really be any easier). We tend not to stay in one place for more than 10 days so it's not like we are washing windows or deep cleaning anything. If we are renting a house/apartment we tend to eat out for dinner and make simple breakfasts/lunches if we stay in for those - stacking and unstacking the dishwasher isn't arduous. It's certainly an awful lot less housework than I do at home on top of working a considerable number of hours each week. We tend to stay in hotels if it's just the two of us and rent somewhere if people are joining us. We like the flexibility, space and quiet of a rental property, but it's cheaper to stay in a hotel if it's just us. We stay in lots of hotels on other trips so don't miss it when in FL.

Last edited:
I have no idea how to operate an iron.

basically it works like a pint of beer.

you need to fill it up
lift it up, put it on the table/board
produces some heat when you "operate" it with swift arm moves.
refill it when empty.
and if you use it right and long enough everything should lie flat (either in the drawer or under the table :p )

Firstly I'm really sorry for your issues!
Our last meal at ohana we walked out half way through and told the management we would not be paying, we had two friends with us who had never eaten there,and we had raved about how good it was,yet the whole thing was a disgrace! So much time passed between getting a salad and literally anything else, and after the first 15 mins waiting for a drink, she was most mad when we had finished them almost immediately and certainly did not look like she wanted to re-fill them any time soon.

2. If they had compensated you in some way would it of not at least made things taste a little sweeter? I understand you say you wanted nothing but the service you paid for.
I don't agree with them dumping a truck load of shampoo in your room, but we've called up before for a bottle or two extra when we've been a family of 6 and also gotten a bag load.

3. I imagine they will come back with some sort of compensation now, although I find its normally the US peeps that get any after a trip, ( in fact they got offered whole trips for complaints about ridiculous things)
We on the other hand are still fighting them 7yrs on over our screwed up wedding! And would just like the money back for extras we paid for and did not receive.

I do definitely think take demand out of your wording, it never does go down too well, and shorten areas that you've gone over already, keep it more to the point as it makes for slightly long complicated reading, and take out a few of the you wanted no compensation, as they may feel that they tried to make it up to you, and you would not let them.
Good luck

basically it works like a pint of beer.

you need to fill it up
lift it up, put it on the table/board
produces some heat when you "operate" it with swift arm moves.
refill it when empty.
and if you use it right and long enough everything should lie flat (either in the drawer or under the table :p )
Glad to see you have kept your sense of humour.
Seriously though, I'm so sorry that you've been so let down by Disney. I hope you are well compensated, although I know that doesn't make up for it. After all the worry of getting there as well. I think you should ask for componsation for the faults at OKW as well as your deposit returning.

Hope that you get what you deserve.

We stayed Club level at the Contemporary on our last trip and I wasn't impressed with housekeeping at all. It took them forever to get our room ready and then several days they didn't make up the room while we were gone in the morning, and couldn't make it up while DS was napping so we would just go to wherever their cart was to get fresh towels. They also threw out one of DS's swim bottoms that we hung up to dry. I'm going to put all his clothes, blankies, and stuffed friends in a drawer when we are out of the room during our next trip to be on the safe side.

We had almost the exact housekeeping experience at the grand floridian 4 years ago, but we never complained. Just didnt want to deal with it. We have not been back to a disney hotel. Used to go every year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter