Just back. SO fun but DL food sucks!!

I have to say that this is a very interesting thread, and I am jotting down notes as I read all the responses. We are WDW vets that will be heading to DLR for the first time in June. I have been reading all of the different menus for both CS and TS at DLR and I have found a lot of things that look appealing (now how they actually taste is another story) to all of us. We live in a suburb of Chicago therefore we love our food here, with that said we love the food at WDW when we go. I do have to agree that WDW is not really known for their CS restaurants compared to the multitudes of TS restaurants that they have. The only exceptions would be Flame Tree BBQ at AK, Earl of Sandwich at DTD, Pecos Bills and Columbia Harbor House at MK, and some of the countries around WS at Epcot. So OP, thank you so much for starting this thread because the suggestions that the posters give is really helping me :goodvibes.

I guess I am less picky than most. I love blue bayou, Ariel's for lunch or dinner, Bengal BBQ is delicious and plenty of food for me (usually get a chicken and a veggie skewer), all the character meals have plenty of food I like... I avoid pizza and burgers because I can get those at home and they are always better at home. Rainforest cafe is a must go to for us, as we don't have one around here and dd loves it. We get their lettuce wraps.... Yum! Anyhow, it's hard to please everyone- the sheer variety of people means they can't go too crazy with food. But I'll say we never go hungry there!

Mommy2PrincessAbby said:
Rainforest cafe is a must go to for us, as we don't have one around here and dd loves it. We get their lettuce wraps.... Yum!

Got some really bad news for you. I was at the Rainforest in Anaheim on Friday and they, much to the dismay of my wife, no longer have lettuce wraps. Just a FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

PoohsFan1 said:
I have to say that this is a very interesting thread, and I am jotting down notes as I read all the responses. We are WDW vets that will be heading to DLR for the first time in June. I have been reading all of the different menus for both CS and TS at DLR and I have found a lot of things that look appealing (now how they actually taste is another story) to all of us. We live in a suburb of Chicago therefore we love our food here, with that said we love the food at WDW when we go. I do have to agree that WDW is not really known for their CS restaurants compared to the multitudes of TS restaurants that they have. The only exceptions would be Flame Tree BBQ at AK, Earl of Sandwich at DTD, Pecos Bills and Columbia Harbor House at MK, and some of the countries around WS at Epcot. So OP, thank you so much for starting this thread because the suggestions that the posters give is really helping me :goodvibes.

I completely agree with your cs choices at wow (except chh, only ate there once though and it was on keys to the kingdom tour and food was cold when we got there). I'm in the nw suburbs of Chicago - so I hear ya!

Our first trip to dl was a little underwhelming after so many years at wow, but we've grown to love it!

Got some really bad news for you. I was at the Rainforest in Anaheim on Friday and they, much to the dismay of my wife, no longer have lettuce wraps. Just a FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

That is a major bummer! But my dd will disown me if she can't go there... I may have to get pizza... I remember it to be pretty good... they have lots of good food there. But we have found that lunch is better than dinner--they get so busy at dinner that they can be less than speedy service wise!!

Is It Just me That Absolutely LOVES Disneyland Food?!

Nope, you're not alone. Our family has things we love.
A few:
steak salad at the warf in DL
clam chowder in a bread bowl
pizza salad at red rockets pizza
raspberry cheesecake at jolly holiday
pretty much everything at rancho del zocalo (we love the atmosphere there).

wild bleu yonder burger at taste pilots.

I'm with you!! we LOVE the food at Disneyland! The only place we were not impressed with (even my kids didn't like it!) was the Hungry Bear. We've loved everything else. The chicken dinner at the Plaza Inn..YUMM! and we are HUGE fans of the Dole Whip and the jalapeno pretzels. Bengal BBQ...another YUM!!! My mouth is now watering. 3 more sleeps until we get there...I can't wait!:cheer2:

DisneylandClub said:

No, not at all! I love the food at Disneyland. The chicken dinner at Plaza is scrumptious. The corn dogs on Main Street are to die for. The Golden Horseshoe's chicken strips are fabulous. Pizza Port's chicken fusilli is so good and the pizza at Village Haus is delicious. Ranch Del Zocalo is fantastic. Don't get me started on the churros and the ice cream. I could go on and on.

Last year when we went, we all thought the food wasn't too impressive. When we were hungry, we pulled out the map and found the nearest quick service.

This year, I did research. I went the food reviews thread here, read reviews on yelp, and went through the menus. We still ate quick service, but thought the food was quite good this time. We even went to some of the same places as last year. This time, however, we knew what to avoid and what to try.

You're spoiled by WDW. WDW has an amazing selection. The customers they serve are different (DL - day visitors, WDW - vacationers). I wish they would bring some of the WDW oferings to DL.

We found the counter service food better at DL that Magic Kingdom. You cant take EPCOT and the others in the mix because thats really what most of EPCOT is- food...
Dl has DTD right there to give guests great options right there. We found that with the exception of the Table service, WDW was not good for our family

That being said, Rancho del Zaccallo and Riverbelle Terrace have great options. But if we count table service in the parks, DL has it hands down with Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans and Carnation Cafe.

Burgers at theme parks are going to be hit or miss. We live in San Antonio and our Six Flags has a Johnny Rockets. Should be good right? NOPE!

We will be at Dl in one month for our 6th visit. We have only been to WDW once and will stick with DL and are looking forward to the meals we have planned. But we know from the posts here and the menus on allears.net where we will be eating to insure we are getting the best DL has to offer

I agree--I don't get the love of the Dole Whip. I tried it (twice!) and it's this yucky, syrupy sweet mixture of pinapple juice (from a can) and really bad frozen yogurt. I mean, it isn't an episode of Fear Factor, but it isn't anything to dream about.

The first time I had a Dole Float (the combination of juice and the Dole Whip) I asked my SIL if she liked pineapple. She said yes and we got a couple. My brother & I who both love pineapple couldn't get enough. My SIL had a few bites and then said, I guess I'm not really a big pineapple fan after all. LOL The Dole Whip reminds me of pineapple sherbert with less of a dairy flavor and no pineapple chunks. It's certainly not really bad frozen yogurt. The juice, I'm not sure if it's from a can or not but it tasted fine to me. It could have been colder but the flavor was what I expected. Anyone who has ever cut up a fresh pineapple (I have one on my counter waiting to be cut right now) knows it's a sticky sweet mess of goodness. I'd say if you're curious about the Dole Whip and not a big pineapple fan, stick to the Dole Whip. The Dole Float is for those who want to OD on pineapple.

This thread is hilarious. In Australia we have two options for junk food takeaway burgers, Maccas and Burger King.:crazy2: And we would kill for a Denny's or Ihop breakfast any day! How sad is that?

As for Disney food, just being there means we love everything.

But saying that, the biggest disappointment was Blue Bayou. Apart from the atmosphere everything else was sub par. Bad service, overpriced and very average food.

We tried out first turkey leg last year and loved it. And the corn dogs from the red truck, awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter