Just back. SO fun but DL food sucks!!

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by julsmom, Oct 5, 2012.

1. kirstie101

kirstie101 DIS Veteran

Oh wow I love the food at DL and DCA! Eating on the parks is one of my favorite parts of our vacation! Can't miss Plaza Inn, Hungry Bear, fortune cookie, Ariel's grotto....so many good places to choose from!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DisneyIT

DisneyIT Earning My Ears

You are sooooo right, we have this issue a DL and try not to compare to WDW. We did find the Paradise Garden Grill had a Mediterranean kabob that was actually not bad, and the Jalepeno Cheese pretzels were good at one cart, but awful at another cart. It is very difficult to find decent food in the parks but DCA seems to be better than DL.

4. mydisneymoney

mydisneymoney Prince Alex's Mom

5. ArchOwl

ArchOwl The Highly Educated Owl

DLR food can be hit or miss. Fortunately, there is a lot of good information on these boards that can help you find the gems. I actually think the DLR has come a long way in the past few years in terms of food. Back when I got my first AP (in the mid 2000s), there was hardly any variety at all. Now I can get decent salads and a lot more interesting food, as long as I know where to go.

It looks like the OP ran into a string of bad luck there with food choices. I probably would have steered them away from almost all of those places. Disney really should have a more consistent approach to food, but they are making changes to improve.

There are amazing food choices at the DLR (Napa Rose!) and there are some real duds. I hope the OP gives DL another shot. After all, I am sure it would be entirely possible to strike out at WDW if you weren't familiar with the food choices. :)

6. figment_jii

figment_jii DIS Veteran

I agree that the OP had a run of bad luck. I like some of the food options at DLR.

To the OP, I'd check out the Disneyland Dining reviews thread (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1253888) to see the range of food choices out there!

7. sonnyjane

sonnyjane DIS Veteran

I think they need to work on making the quality consistent, but I know from reading on the boards over the last few years that while many of us, myself included, really like the new, interesting things they are working on, there are still many out there that don't like the new "avant garde" combinations at the restaurants or the veering from the traditional. Even though Hungry Bear offers yummy onion rings, sweet potato fries, and a zesty vegetable slaw, surely you remember reading the uproar about getting rid of the regular fries. And I have seen lots of posts over the last couple of years from people saying that their kids (older than toddler meal age) only eat chicken nuggets or plain mac and cheese, so there is surely a market for keeping some of that boring, bland food as not everyone has an adventurous palate, especially kids.

I think they need to work on improving their basics...the burgers, the pizza, etc. at the places that will retain those simple items, but I'm one of the people that really enjoys all of their new food offerings.

8. ArchOwl

I agree about the quality. I would love it if each restaurant area had both "standard" items and "novel" items. That way everyone in the group would be happy. If someone wants a burger and fries, they could have it. But I could still have my fried green tomato sandwich and veggie slaw! I think there are a lot of people who like the standard fare, but especially in California, people's tastes and preferences are changing. But it is definitely a tough balance. I wouldn't want to be in Disney's shoes. But I do know they are paying attention to the food issue, because I have been surveyed over the last year many times and out of the 5 or so surveys I have done, I think 4 of them were about food! :rotfl:

That is why I end up taking a lot of people over to DCA and doing the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta and Paradise Grill option. Someone gets cheese pizza, someone gets pasta, another gets salad, and more adventurous people get the skewers, etc. Heck, someone in our party went to the Corn Dog Castle and got one of those and ate with us. :rotfl2:

9. julsmom

julsmom DIS Veteran

I agree with most of what everyone is saying. I think maybe 10 or 15 years ago I might have been more in the food target that Disney seems to be aiming for. I think my tastes are snootier than Disney prepares for.

10. rmom

rmom Mouseketeer

You're spoiled by WDW. WDW has an amazing selection. The customers they serve are different (DL - day visitors, WDW - vacationers). I wish they would bring some of the WDW oferings to DL.

11. disneyismyheart247

disneyismyheart247 Living the California and Disney Dream

Hmm, funny. I've heard WDW has better table service but DLR has better quick service. I love the food at DLR, though I will admit I'm not all that impressed with River Belle Terrace. Seems you just had a bad experience. Hopefully next time your choices will have more luck:)

12. holcomb-mania

holcomb-mania DIS Veteran

As a WDW vet, I tend to lean toward table-service restaurants, and for the most part we've been happy. I realize DLR is more counter-service focused, so I was adjusting my expectations. I hope I make the right restaurant choices.

For anyone familiar with WDW, is there anywhere in DLR similar to Sunshine Seasons in Epcot? It's an excellent counter-service place that I wish they'd copy in the other parks.

13. sonnyjane

sonnyjane DIS Veteran

What do you have planned currently?

14. Monica D

Monica D Ready to plan my next cruise!

I agree with the OP. This last trip I brought my own breakfast and lunch with me. I do love the snacks/sweets, and usually allow myself one per day. Other than that, I think the food isn't all that great. :confused3

15. aan1701

aan1701 DIS Veteran

Not really. In my opinion the closest thing would be the wharf at DCA where they have Soups, Salads, Mexican ((really bad Mexican if you ask me), Chinese (which I like but it seems not to liked here on the boards) and a Ghirardelli. I just got back from a 12 day trip to WDW. I must say I got the Bacon Cheese Burger at the Mara a few times and I thought it was fine. We at a a bunch of table service there (Thanks Tables In Wonderland). All were outstanding. Maybe I am not that picky. I don't know. I, overall, like the food at DL as well. Guess I am in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

16. DizMe

DizMe <font color=darkorchid>Here we gooooo...<br><font

I agree. I find things I like, but overall the food is pretty meh.

17. ArchOwl

I find it like it better than most large venue food services. I find more things I like at the DLR than most airports (save a few), stadiums, and conferences. I don't think it is quite fair to compare Disneyland to most restaurants since they serve more people in a few hours at Disneyland than my favorite restaurants do in weeks! And let's not even talk about the gross food I was served at my last conference.

There is good food at the Resort and some fine dining, but most of the food is for masses of people, which any caterer will tell you is hard to do well.

18. Huff

Huff DIS Veteran

DLR is for those whom their main interest is inside the parks, rides, shows and attractions. The ability to walk between two parks, 3 resorts and DTD can't be matched at WDW. You can do more in less time at DLR.

WDW is for those that prefer longer more relaxing vacations. It's 23+ resorts with their own restaurants along with Epcots are hard to beat. There is far more to do outside the parks, boating, fishing, golfing, water parks etc. to make a long vacation possible.

That said neither is better than the other. We frequent both almost every year but for totally different types of vacations. Love the dining and relaxation of a slower paced vacation at WDW and love the in park atmosphere and ability to do more in less time at DLR. There are some great restaurants at DLR too, just not nearly as many choices as WDW.

19. holcomb-mania

holcomb-mania DIS Veteran

On my radar:
    Bengal BBQ
    Blue Bayou
    Big Thunder Ranch
    Flo's V8
    Naples (or Napolini)
    Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
    Goofy's Kitchen

20. julsmom

julsmom DIS Veteran

Just FYI, BTR has long waits, so be aware. :thumbsup2 And Flo's is really popular with the large Cars crowds. Just so you can be on top of it. :cutie:

21. mouseymommy

mouseymommy <font color=purple>I love the smell of Pirates<br>

We always make a reservation and are seated right away.