Just back from western Carib on Fantasy

pearljammer

DIS Veteran
our third Halloween cruise and the way they did candy was interesting compared to past cruises.

What was neat was the Pumpkin Tree story so go to that the three nights they do something with that. Halloween trick or treating was different. They had a few simple games in the atrium to get tattoos and candy stations close by. There were about 3 candy stations on deck 3, 2 on deck 4 and 2 on deck 5. So don't forget to go to those decks. You can hit the lines multiple times.

They played Inside Out A LOT on the cruise. Toooooo much. Ant man in 3D was cool and really good actually. They had 2 showing of Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D twice on the cruise. One a late showing and one a 2 pm showing. Inside Out and Antman were played the most of all the movies.

They have separated the pirate night. Mickey and pals do their thing at 7:45 and then at 10:30 they do the Jack Sparrow with fireworks. Get on Starboard side for fireworks.

They do have some Star Wars merchandise on the ship.

We did one excursion in Grand Cayman and it was the snorkel and boatwreck. It was the inexpensive of the choices and sufficient. Warning, you literally walk half a block to the boat. Drive for 2 minutes maybe to snorkel the Devils grotto. I will say that looks are deceiving. You aren't far from shore at all, but when you get in the water, it's deeper then it looks. This was the best of the two spots as the fish were beautiful. The. You go about 5 min to the left to Callie's shipwreck and it was sort of cool. But shallower. All of this is in front of the Fantasy. So trust you don't travel far but it was plenty of snorkel time. Not much to see walking around but shops.

It was funny to see the same wine I bought at Wal Mart for 9.99 a bottle was being served on deck and in the restaurants. I had to giggle as I took 2 bottles on board.

Great trip. It was cool sailing along side Cuba. Seeing Haiti in the distance.

We got off in Jamaica but I found things in their port to be expensive! Look for the bluish building outside the gate that has a canvas painted front. I've never seen a fake cement building with canvas hung to make it look nice. No beaches to walk to in Falmouth either. Taxis wanted 40pp round trip to certain beaches.

That bout sums it up. Great trip. Jamaica was the hottest by far. Rained on and off but it didn't ruin anything at all.

By the way, we had our son made over in the BBB for pirate night. Best 99 ever spent! He loved it! We now have a pirate costume he can probably wear 2 more years!!!!!

They have separated the pirate night. Mickey and pals do their thing at 7:45 and then at 10:30 they do the Jack Sparrow with fireworks.
That's how the pirate night is on both the Dream & Fantasy (since they came into service, I believe).

our third Halloween cruise and the way they did candy was interesting compared to past cruises.

What was neat was the Pumpkin Tree story so go to that the three nights they do something with that. Halloween trick or treating was different. They had a few simple games in the atrium to get tattoos and candy stations close by. There were about 3 candy stations on deck 3, 2 on deck 4 and 2 on deck 5. So don't forget to go to those decks. You can hit the lines multiple times.

They played Inside Out A LOT on the cruise. Toooooo much. Ant man in 3D was cool and really good actually. They had 2 showing of Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D twice on the cruise. One a late showing and one a 2 pm showing. Inside Out and Antman were played the most of all the movies.

They have separated the pirate night. Mickey and pals do their thing at 7:45 and then at 10:30 they do the Jack Sparrow with fireworks. Get on Starboard side for fireworks.

They do have some Star Wars merchandise on the ship.

We did one excursion in Grand Cayman and it was the snorkel and boatwreck. It was the inexpensive of the choices and sufficient. Warning, you literally walk half a block to the boat. Drive for 2 minutes maybe to snorkel the Devils grotto. I will say that looks are deceiving. You aren't far from shore at all, but when you get in the water, it's deeper then it looks. This was the best of the two spots as the fish were beautiful. The. You go about 5 min to the left to Callie's shipwreck and it was sort of cool. But shallower. All of this is in front of the Fantasy. So trust you don't travel far but it was plenty of snorkel time. Not much to see walking around but shops.

It was funny to see the same wine I bought at Wal Mart for 9.99 a bottle was being served on deck and in the restaurants. I had to giggle as I took 2 bottles on board.

Great trip. It was cool sailing along side Cuba. Seeing Haiti in the distance.

We got off in Jamaica but I found things in their port to be expensive! Look for the bluish building outside the gate that has a canvas painted front. I've never seen a fake cement building with canvas hung to make it look nice. No beaches to walk to in Falmouth either. Taxis wanted 40pp round trip to certain beaches.

That bout sums it up. Great trip. Jamaica was the hottest by far. Rained on and off but it didn't ruin anything at all.

By the way, we had our son made over in the BBB for pirate night. Best 99 ever spent! He loved it! We now have a pirate costume he can probably wear 2 more years!!!!!

Which night of the cruise was Halloween night (trick or treating)? I have heard it is Cozumel night, but would like to confirm this. We sail in 3 weeks on a Western on the Fantasy.

We got off in Jamaica but I found things in their port to be expensive! Taxis wanted 40pp round trip to certain beaches.

Pricey, yes! That is no joke!! But, it's like that in every island port. I think, when possible, it's a better deal to book an excursion ahead of time if you can. Am I correct that a bottle of water cost about 2.50 in the port? I wasn't thirsty enough to pay that. Did anyone try to sell you weed? For instance a port policeman? I didn't think I look like someone trying score (47-year old woman sitting on a bench with teenagers milling around her) but somehow a polite conversation with a port policeman turned into an offer to do just that.

I remember a once dh and I were in Jamaica for a holiday. we were shopping in a tiny outdoor mall and was approached by some males. they talked for a minute and got from our accents where we were from. they then asked if we were looking to buy some 'good Canadian cocaine'. good Canadian cocaine, lol. we politely said no and walked away. it has been the joke of our house for years, 'what do you want for dinner' 'oh, maybe some good Canadian cocaine'.
sorry to hijack the thread, back to the regularly scheduled program.......

What else was included besides the costume? and roughly how long did it take to get him all into character because I want to do this for my DS 4, however he will not sit for a long time 45 min max if he is entertained.

I am on this itinerary in 1 year for the Fantasy. We have done Western before, but we haven't been to Jamaica yet and its sounding like not a great place :/

I have never been on the Halloween cruise to, so I am definitely excited about that.

I was wondering if you have the navigators from the cruise? Just want to get an idea of what to expect...but I bet it will definitely change.

Pricey, yes! That is no joke!! But, it's like that in every island port. I think, when possible, it's a better deal to book an excursion ahead of time if you can. Am I correct that a bottle of water cost about 2.50 in the port? I wasn't thirsty enough to pay that. Did anyone try to sell you weed? For instance a port policeman? I didn't think I look like someone trying score (47-year old woman sitting on a bench with teenagers milling around her) but somehow a polite conversation with a port policeman turned into an offer to do just that.
No, no encounters with anything like that. But of course, everywhere you turn in the market areas there were pipes/bongs. We didn't go in most of them as they were all the same. some guy tried to sell generic bent up license plates for $15. Nothing but numbers on them.

I am on this itinerary in 1 year for the Fantasy. We have done Western before, but we haven't been to Jamaica yet and its sounding like not a great place :/

I have never been on the Halloween cruise to, so I am definitely excited about that.

I was wondering if you have the navigators from the cruise? Just want to get an idea of what to expect...but I bet it will definitely change.
Yes, I have all the navigators at home. Interestingly enough, I didn't see near as many carved pumpkins as we've seen once. They have one at the front desk and had a few pirate night at Cabana's. One year, I think the Dream in 2011, they had carved pumpkins all over! HOARDS of candy at the entrance to each restaurant. It's always fun but the Halloween experience has never exactly been the same on the 3 we've been on.

We are booked on the same itinerary on the Fantasy in April. We have an aft starboard stateroom as well (best fireworks viewing).

I did that same snorkeling excursion in Grand Cayman in 2009 while on the Magic. This time we're going to Rum Point Beach. In Jamaica we plan on going to Good Hope Estate. What did you do in Cozumel? Last time DS (5 at the time) and I took the submarine tour. It was OK, but not something I want to do again.

What else was included besides the costume? and roughly how long did it take to get him all into character because I want to do this for my DS 4, however he will not sit for a long time 45 min max if he is entertained.
the price included their costume of choice, make up, bandana, sword, fake earing, eye patch and the sash saying Pirates League where the sword sits at their side. it literally took about 15 minutes. They also get a scroll with their pirate name along with a pirate necklace (fake costume boots are included). Hope that helps. The make up was just sponged on fake beard look with a bit of eyeshadowing to make the eyes smokey. The bandana went on, the eye patch and she pretended to "pierce" his ear by clipping the ring on his eye patch rope. He could do it as it's such a short time. He'll love it once it's done!

On the Fantasy or Dream? On the Wonder & Magic they only do one show (after the second seating) that leads into the fireworks.
I don't' remember which. Our first cruise was the Dream and it was by far the best of all I've seen. They had people rise up out of the floors and I've never seen that since. Our second was the Magic. One of those two. I know it wasn't our last Fantasy in 2013. Nothing has ever matched the first one from the Dream though. It was GREAT!

We are booked on the same itinerary on the Fantasy in April. We have an aft starboard stateroom as well (best fireworks viewing).

I did that same snorkeling excursion in Grand Cayman in 2009 while on the Magic. This time we're going to Rum Point Beach. In Jamaica we plan on going to Good Hope Estate. What did you do in Cozumel? Last time DS (5 at the time) and I took the submarine tour. It was OK, but not something I want to do again.
We did nothing in Cozumel. I've heard that I think it's called Paradise Island is cheaper if you go on your own but they offer it through Disney though it's called something different. DH and I got off the boat while DS was in the kids club just to look at the area and we were right back on the ship. That was our least impressive port area.

Don't listen to all the negativity about Jamaica mon! It is one of our favorite islands!!! Contact Peat or Courtney Taylor tours and they will let you plan your tour/day! We have used them at least four times and have LOVED every minute of our time there! The Blue Hole is amazing however it's "awesomeness" has gotten out and now it is a tad overcrowded. It has become more like Dunns River Falls unfortunately.

And Rum Point is probably our very favorite stop ever. We have sailed the Eastern and Western itineraries many times and this is our very favorite place! The best way to see it is through Nativeways. The tour is called something like..."rays, reef and rum point" You get to go see the stingrays, then snorkel at a reef and the have lunch and relax at Rum Point. We have also taken just the Disney Rum Point Adventure too where you just go to Rum Point. Both are fabulous!

Kathy

Which night of the cruise was Halloween night (trick or treating)? I have heard it is Cozumel night, but would like to confirm this. We sail in 3 weeks on a Western on the Fantasy.
Sat - depart
Sun - day at Sea; formal night
Mon - Cozumel; Halloween party
Tues - Grand Cayman
Wed - Jamaica; pirate night (all restaurants had same menu)
Thurs - Day at Sea; Captains Gala (all restaurants had same menu)
Fri - Castaway Cay
Sat - back at Port

Cabana's pirate night menu - taco salad station, crepe station, a few desserts and ice cream (the starboard side was open, port side closed) - opened at 10:45.

Meal rotation was ERAERRA

Don't listen to all the negativity about Jamaica mon! It is one of our favorite islands!!! Contact Peat or Courtney Taylor tours and they will let you plan your tour/day! We have used them at least four times and have LOVED every minute of our time there! The Blue Hole is amazing however it's "awesomeness" has gotten out and now it is a tad overcrowded. It has become more like Dunns River Falls unfortunately.

And Rum Point is probably our very favorite stop ever. We have sailed the Eastern and Western itineraries many times and this is our very favorite place! The best way to see it is through Nativeways. The tour is called something like..."rays, reef and rum point" You get to go see the stingrays, then snorkel at a reef and the have lunch and relax at Rum Point. We have also taken just the Disney Rum Point Adventure too where you just go to Rum Point. Both are fabulous!

Kathy
I will say this Kathy, this was one island that although we didn't do an excursion we will contemplate either an all inclusive or will do an excursion the next go round. It looked beautiful and the port is fairly new is my understanding. The "market" area is fenced off so outsiders can't come inside the area. It has a Margaritaville where you can swim in the pool and use their swim up bar if a customer and that's inside the fenced area. I believe there was a Quizno's and a Dairy Queen if I remember correctly all by the shops. It was the nicest port of the 3.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter