Just back from first stay at Poly

Donna M

DIS Veteran
We stayed one night in a lake view studio at Poly after our 4 night cruise and I love VGF so much more now. I was disappointed with the Poly. The two bathrooms were great, and would be very useful when more than one person needs to get ready at the same time; they are incredibly spacious too, especially after returning from a cruise! The space in the main part of the room was a good size too. The theming of the resort is so tropical, which I like.

There are a few reasons why we most likely will not stay there again. First, the ferry boat's horn woke me up a couple of times at night while wearing ear plugs, and then it started at 5:15 am with a shorter blast than the normal one. When sitting on the balcony there was an eight inch or so wide part of the railing that blocked the "lake" view of the bungalows. We were able to see the castle and Space Mountain between the palm branches though. The rain shower leaked cold water on my head, burr. It didn't seem like the room was vacuumed. The bathroom grouting was poorly done too. And just to our taste, the orange curtains and hallways were a bit too bright.

Of course this is my opinion. The style and amenities of VGF have become what we enjoy now. I wish we owned there.

I'm glad we got to check it for one night.

DonnaM...Thank you for your review!:goodvibes I assume that you were in Moorea?:confused3 In terms of being a "light sleeper", especially in the early hours of the morning and the horn noise, what building then would you recommend trying to "balance" the construction noise also? Would PagoPago make a difference?
THANKS!:wave:

We felt the same way. We just got back Sunday. We had a standard room in Pago Pago, and while we loved the room, I didn't love the resort like I had hoped. We new there would be construction but Holy Cow, it was almost the whole resort. Our walk to the main building and pool seemed to take forever and our view of the parking lot stunk! The 2 showers was great but the big one had drainage issue and I absolutely hated that the thermostat only went down to 68. It felt muggy most nights and we were told they were manufactured that way so they could not be fixed to go to a lower temp. I would hate to be in there in the heat of the summer. I think when all the construction is done it will look nice, but its just not our favorite and like Beach Club and Bay lake tower better.

I am glad to read these....I like the Polynesian to walk around in, but I have always wondered if it was overrated as a place to stay....I think if i have to pick a DVC monorail resort it would have to be BLT because of the option to just walk to MK....but for each is own

We stayed 3 nights mid-April and it "grew" on us. We are not generally studio folks -- but loved the landscaping and tropical feel. We'll go back!

We stayed 3 nights mid-April and it "grew" on us. We are not generally studio folks -- but loved the landscaping and tropical feel. We'll go back!
What longhouse were you in? Were you happy with your view/floor? THANKS in advance for any feedback!:flower1:

I am glad to read these....I like the Polynesian to walk around in, but I have always wondered if it was overrated as a place to stay....I think if i have to pick a DVC monorail resort it would have to be BLT because of the option to just walk to MK....but for each is own

The Poly may not have an easy walk to the MK, but it has an easy walk to the TTC to board the monorail to Epcot. It's also an easy walk to GF, if you're planning on eating there. It's a shame there is no bridge over the canal that holds the electric water parade floats, because otherwise you'd be able to walk to the MK from the GF. It's actually a bit bizarre, since there is a paved and lighted walk that goes all the way to the canal on both sides.

I think the original plan was to have a walkway that went all the way around the lagoon, but just was never completed. It's a shame too, it would be really nice to have that during those times when the monorails are down and the boats are overloaded.

Ours went down to 68 -- but we were still sweltering at night.

We had this problem when we stayed in Kidani after it first opened. The room was showing 69, but I absolutely knew I would not be sweating on the back of my neck just from straightening up the room if that's what it really was. It felt humid in the room and I suspect that is what is happening at the Poly also. In our office building when this happens it is because the "chillers" are malfunctioning, but I do not know how disney cools its resort rooms. I was so frustrated with DVC then because no-one cared at the resort and I couldn't even sleep at night comfortably because of it.

One could consider the thermostat restrictions an element towards a more 'authentic experience'? LOL

Yes, Disney restricted the thermostats to provide a more realistic experience of an African savannah, lol. And they are considering piping in scents like dung and mud flats as well as using robotic drone "flies" and "mosquitoes" to simulate the pests one would usually encounter, lol.

Yes, Disney restricted the thermostats to provide a more realistic experience of an African savannah, lol. And they are considering piping in scents like dung and mud flats as well as using robotic drone "flies" and "mosquitoes" to simulate the pests one would usually encounter, lol.
Wait a sec, revision needed. This thread is about the Poly ....

Raise your hand if you were someone...way back when...who tried to walk to the GF from MK at night only to find out it was not possible.....:sad2:

I can't find the raised hand icon, but I definitely did that. The bricks were walk around the world or something. It was supposed to go all the way.

Wait a sec, revision needed. This thread is about the Poly ....

Oh, sorry, I was thinking about the Kidani post above yours, lol. So I'll revise the post to say "scents of dead Pacific fish and rotting coconuts" and "robotic drones of crabs and seagulls".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter