Just back from BWV- comments and observations

kamgen

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a week at BWV in a one bedroom boardwalk view room. Just wanted to post some comments and such about our trip! First and foremost, we were SOOOO happy when we checked in and found our room was ready at 11:30am!:thumbsup2 Check in was smooth, as was the use of the bell services and valet all week. They were all so friendly and helpful. The room was clean and in good condition. This is where I make my first comment about things I read here on the DIS.....
So many people have posted about the long hallways and how they cannot stand staying at BWV because of that. Well, we had the last room (or should I say first;) ) on the second floor. It was 2001 and we had no problems with it. The distance was not that big a deal. When we realized it was at the end of the hall, we were all full of negative thoughts....based on what we had read. But all in all we loved the spot! No noise in the hall ever and a quick jaunt down the stairs to the walkway!
Though the hallways were not an issue to us, we did find other issues with staying at the BWV. The one that will prevent us from staying there again (except for maybe during the F&W festival) is the lack of quick food options. Don't get me wrong, there is a pizza window, bakery, funnel cake stand, booth with subs and hotdogs, etc.....but MOST did not participate in the dining plan and also did not allow room charge. It was very inconvenient. And the bakery, while we love their pastries and desserts, is VERY limited in other choices (two or three paninis is not a good menu). So we are back to LOVING SSR for it's food options! Another thing we did not like was the unfriendly, sometimes rude, cast members we encountered in the general store and on the boardwalk. Some were VERY nice, but the few who were rude really stuck out in our minds.
All in all, we like the BWV access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. And we love the view from our room and the pool area (which is open!!!!). Still, we really want a "food court" type option where you can visit it quickly and get a variety of options. And we want to be able to use our room charge at the adjacent facilities. BWV is a great location, it just needs to update it to compete with the newer DVC locations.....food court, movies by the pool like at SSR, etc.....

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear that your check in went smoothly.

We too found the lack of counter service dining options a problem when we stayed at BWV - the AP at SSR certainly is a great counter service option!

That said, DW, in particular, loved the location of BWV. So much so we are staying there again in August. We are waitlisted for a BW view room currently.....

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that you didn't mind the hallways, but I would agree with you on the lack of food options. We also like being able to charge to the room and having a larger variety of quick service offerings nearby.

I can only hope that DVC will add something to the area.....there is enough space to make a counter service or expand the bakery menu and pizza window menu. Something would be nice.......

I can only hope that DVC will add something to the area.....there is enough space to make a counter service or expand the bakery menu and pizza window menu. Something would be nice.......

Were there any good TS that you liked?

On the boardwalk or in the area??? We have dined at Spoodles, ESPN, Big River Grill and Flying Fish in the past....liked them all. This trip we did walk over to Beach Club and eat at Beaches & Cream for lunch and Cape May Cafe for dinner....both were good. I think that TS is so much easier to do. Plans are all set since you book it ahead of time. It always seems like QS is harder, especially if you are not in a theme park when you are hungry! LOL!!! And the choices of QS at BWV are way too limited for a DVC resort.

DH and I ate at Spoodles for dinner on our trip last fall and loved it.....and we love ESPN during Football games! LOL! And if you want a really nice meal, Flying Fish is great, but we wont use two TS credits on that when we are on the basic dining plan. As for all of WDW, my favorite TS at WDW is Boma. I love the variety since we dont have food like that at home. I love it and could eat there 3 times a week if I didnt live 21 hrs away!:rotfl2: DH loves Rose & Crown- great Steak and fish dinner. Only downfall is how small it is.

Kamgen, We were there in Aug. room 2001.At first I thought I wouldn't like the walk,but as you said we enjoyed the room(villa)and would stay there again.:thumbsup2 :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Thanks guys! We loved 2001 too. My only complaint is there is that exterior wall blocking the view of YC/BC.

Completely agree on the food (non) options. Those paninis at the bakery = :scared: anyway. The cheese danish there, however - is my favorite anywhere. Beach Club is our #1 with Boardwalk second. The location just can't be beat. Also, we always seem to get rooms at the very end, and we never mind for the same reasons you stated. ;)

I don't mean to belabor discussion about BWV's looooooooong hallways, but I have a question. Is the section of the BWV that is considered BW view as long as that section that is right across from Tower of Terror? I hope that makes sense!

We stayed about 4 rooms from the end of that section that is closest to MGM and I thought those hallways were very long!

Richyams?? I hope you are listening!;)

I am not sure if they are the same length. i am not saying their aren't long....I am saying it is not that big of a deal to us. My mom, who rented an ECV on our third day there, said they were long. I guess it is a matter of opinion. A long hallway to me isnt much to fuss about.

Still, we really want a "food court" type option where you can visit it quickly and get a variety of options. And we want to be able to use our room charge at the adjacent facilities. BWV is a great location, it just needs to update it to compete with the newer DVC locations.....food court, movies by the pool like at SSR, etc.....
I totally agree with you on the need for a "quick service" restaurant at Boardwalk. I was hoping that the Preview Center would become a snack shop like Captain Cooks or the Mara, but that didn't happen :(.

What ever happened to the talk about ESPN going away or moving to the Disney Quest location at DTD? If that happens, maybe the BW ESPN spot could provide fast food.

And, I agree with the OP...the long hallways aren't that bad. BUT my family and I all believe they are kept entirely too cold. We can't wait to get to room just so we can stop shivering.

YES! They are cold....
I think most of the interior places at WDW are kept way too cold. Thank goodness you can control your own thermostat in your room:thumbsup2

I hope they dont take away ESPN Club from BWV. We do like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter