Just back from 9 days at POFQ (Aug.26- Sept 3rd)- Quick review.

Queila

DIS Veteran
We just got back from 9 days at Disney yesterday and we already got the Disney blues. Why does time have to pass so fast when we are having fun?!?

This was our first stay at POFQ and we L-O-V-E-D it. :love:

My husband and I were saying that it looks like we have found our match. We have stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Pop Century before but POFQ seemed to be the perfect match for our family.

I have always said that I would like to experience every Disney hotel at least once but it will be hard not to stay at POFQ from now on...

I think what I liked the most is the fact that the resort is comparatively very small and easy to manage. Even though our room was on building 1 (by the river) we never felt we were too far from anything. Specially when we figured we could make our way to the pool through the path by the river.

We walked to Riverside once for a meal at Boatwright's (which is amazing BTW) and took the boat back to FQ. We were planning to use the boat once again to go to DTD but ended up using the bus instead.

The bus system was good. I had heard rumors that it was supposed to be a nightmare but it was seamless. We shared it once or twice with Riverside but it wasn't a big deal. We never had to wait long for it, 10 minutes tops.

One night when we were getting back from MK after Wishes we got to the bus stop and there were tons of guests waiting. It looked like they had been waiting for quite a while. So the first bus came, filled up and left. We had to stay behind and wait for the next one. Wouldn't you know they sent a Magical Express coach to pick us up. Everybody got to sit down and watch cartoons on the way to the hotel. :woohoo: The bus driver called it a "magical moment".

The rooms are beautiful and spacious and mousekeeping was A1. Fresh towels and new soaps, shampoos and conditioners everyday. My daughter had brought some plush animals from home and once or twice they were placed in cute positions when we got back to our room. It was a nice touch.

The wifi in our room was not reliable though. It can get frustrating after a while.

We also ate at Sassagoula Floatworks a couple of times (shrimp po boy, creole burger, fish with collard greens, gumbo, jambalaya and a ridiculous amount of beignets). Everything was delicious and made fresh. :goodvibes

The staff was friendly and kept a smile on their faces even on the Monday (Aug.27) when we felt the effects of Isaac and most people stayed at the resort because of the heavy rain. Sassagoula Floatworks was extremely busy the whole morning but it never got chaotic.

We also loved the swimming pool and my daughter who is 4 years old couldn't get enough of that slide. The pool never felt too crowded and we never had trouble finding chairs. We also got to enjoy some games by the pool one afternoon and the CM's were very good with the kids.

On the Saturday night we got to go to sit at the Scat Cat's and listen to Elliot Dyson play for a while. We ordered a gyn tonic at the bar which totally hit the spot.

All in all it was a wonderful vacation and POFQ played a huge part in it. If you are reading this because you are still trying to figure out where to stay on your next Disney vacation I would highly recommend giving POFQ some serious thought.

Q

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at POFQ. We stayed there last year and fell in love too. It is a great resort, we enjoyed it and will definitely stay there again:cool1:

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at POFQ. We stayed there last year and fell in love too. It is a great resort, we enjoyed it and will definitely stay there again:cool1:

I kept reading about people falling in love with POFQ and now I see why! Hope you get to go back there soon.

Oh... I forgot to mention that one evening we had an encounter with a cockroach in our room. It was a huge one and it was an unpleasant surprise. I never mentioned anything to the staff because I don't think I can really hold it against Disney considering the heat and the location of the resort.

Just thought I should add this "detail" to the review. :confused3

I love POFQ!! :love: ..and I'm glad that you have fallen in love with this resort as well! It is a wonderful, lovely and quaint resort! I love the New Orleans theme! I love everything about this resort. I'm glad that you have enjoyed your stay there.. It is hard to try new resorts when you have found your love for this resort. Thank you for that wonderful review!!:thumbsup2

Thanks for posting your review. We also love POFQ. We are at WDW now staying at BLT. We are going to DTD Thursday and taking the boat to POFQ just to hang out and watch Elliot Dyson. He is amazing.

Thanks for the updates! Glad you had a great trip! POFQ is my home away from home.. I absolutely love it there and I cannot wait to go back in 19 days!!!!

Good to know everything is still running great there.. it has been 4 years since my last trip and last stay there. I am really not looking forward to the Disney Blues though, ugh I don't even want to think about it being over!!! :scared1:

We love POFQ! Thanks for battling that mighty cockroach and thanks for the wonderful report!

~NM

Glad you liked it. My husband and I stayed there for the first time this past June/July for 12 nights. We feel in love with FQ. We are DVC members and usually stay in a villa, but it was just the two of us and we decided to stay at FQ as my hubby has always wanted to. LOVE IT!! It's so nice to hear that others love it too. Thanks for the great report!!

Enjoy The Magic!!

Thank you for this review. We will be staying at the FQ for the first time in a couple of months. I am so looking forward to it - especially after reading your review.

We were going to stay at a preferred room at PORS but AAA did not have access to discounts for preferred rooms at PORS, but was able to provide a nice room discount for the FQ. It never occurred to me to stay there but now I am looking forward to it more than ever. Glad you had a great experience!

Love hearing nice reviews about this resort. Especially since we'll be staying there for the first time in May. Can't wait.
Stayed at POR many years ago (when it was Dixie Landings) and loved the boat to DTD.
That is one of reasons we chose POFQ this time - for the boat to DTD. Plus we wanted to stay somewhere new. I love the themeing and the smaller size too.

The "giant cockroach" is what we, on the Gulf Coast, call a Palmetto Bug. They live outside, but can make their way indoors whenever they like. They climb down my chimney and clatter around tying to fit through the fireplace doors. Yuck!

It's not associated with filth, like German cockroach infestation would be. Like mosquitos, they are a fact of life in tropical climates.

I absolutely HATE them. I'd freak out more over a palmetto bug than a snake, that's how much they give me the heebie jeebies.

We stayed there in July and loved it. I love the small cozy size of the resort. We stayed there before the remodel and loved the improvements (queen vs full beds)

Glad to hear you had such a great trip. I too tried POFQ in September 2010, and realized I would no longer try different Disney resorts. I am a POFQ lover through and through!!

Thanks for posting your review. We also love POFQ. We are at WDW now staying at BLT. We are going to DTD Thursday and taking the boat to POFQ just to hang out and watch Elliot Dyson. He is amazing.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. BLT is high on my Disney wish list! Say hello to POFQ (and Elliot) for me.

Thank you for this review. We will be staying at the FQ for the first time in a couple of months. I am so looking forward to it - especially after reading your review.

We were going to stay at a preferred room at PORS but AAA did not have access to discounts for preferred rooms at PORS, but was able to provide a nice room discount for the FQ. It never occurred to me to stay there but now I am looking forward to it more than ever. Glad you had a great experience!

You are going to love POFQ!!

We originally wanted to stay at Coronado Springs but when we called to book it in May they had no more rooms available for free dining so we "settled" for FQ.

I am so glad things turned out this way. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter