• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jurassic Park comparable to Dinosaur?

I think it is 2x Splash Mtn. I was so scared I was basically laying on the floor screaming - not in photo at all - and asked EVERY ride after that if there were drops (even simulated rides). As you can see I was traumatized by Jurassic Park...

WOW! So, it's definitely taller than Splash then. ;)

I was hoping to try it. My husband has ridden it and swears it's smooth enough at the bottom to accommodate my neck injury. Splash really gives you a jolt at the bottom. That's the part that hurts me.

since we're throwing out opinions here

Dinosaur managed to take a wonderful ride (Indiana Jones @ DL:goodvibes) and muck it up. Cannot figure out why the Orlando version of same ride platform beats us up so:confused3 Perhaps because it's darker? whatever, hate the ride and the entire area in AK for that matter:duck:. Look forward to strolling thru Universal's dino area even if we're skipping the ride, well-themed and nice and cool in the summer.

JP is mild in nature imo until you get to the drop;)

Hahaha, that's why I don't like Dinosaur either. It has such potential that is so wasted. Indy is one of my favourite rides anywhere.

Isn't it funny how different we all area?

I find JP to be far scarier, because of the anticipation.

Dinosaur feels like a cartoon, feels ridiculous. There's absolutely NOTHING scary in it for me whatsoever. It's all flash bangs and nothing much else.

We're all so different.

You mean you don't get scared when they let you know "we aren't gonna make it!!"

Maybe you could start saying that to yourself on JP on the way up. :rotfl:

Tell me about the drop, please. I have a bad neck, so I don't do roller coasters anymore. I also don't do Splash anymore at either DL or WDW because the drop puts me in a world of hurt.

Is the drop on JP comparable in height to Splash?

I'm sure someone around here can give you the actual drop height. But.... You can see most of the drop without getting on the ride. The splash down is easy to see around the corner from the ride entrance. While you can't see the top of the drop because of the show building, it starts near the top of the building you see which can help you get an idea of the height.

I was hoping to try it. My husband has ridden it and swears it's smooth enough at the bottom to accommodate my neck injury. Splash really gives you a jolt at the bottom. That's the part that hurts me.

The Fact the boat/raft is bigger than a flume may help a bit in lessening the "instant jolt" upon hitting the water.... but I can't say how much better or worse it will be.

If you have ever experienced one of those "Up the hill.... around and splash down!" type boat attractions at any number of amusement parks, JP is basically the same basic ride system with some theming and an extended run-up to the lift hill.

(And if you want to get wet, without worrying about the neck pain.... You can often get much wetter by just standing in the splash zone near the splashdown pool than you do on the boat itself.)

I do think it is smoother than Splash. For 1, the boat is much much larger than the boats in Splash. All I can say is I felt like my chest was pushing against the bar while we were hanging before falling. I told my kids, I only ride once. It is a fun ride. To get wet for sure, sit in the front. My kids made me sit in the front row, and well, it's a good thing I had my bathing suit on under quick dry clothes and flip flops. Even my hair got a good soaking.

We take one morning and do all the wet rides. They are all in IOA, so we ride them first thing, no lines, then go back to the hotel to wash up and return dry to the parks.

i think Splash Mt is scarier than JPR.

i'm the one screaming, "I'm gonna die" when i go on Splash.

i don't do that on JPR.

for me, it is smoother and not jolting when you hit the bottom.
the angle that you go down the hill is not as sharp as Splash.

on that ride i scream, "we all are gonna die". :blush:

I'm too scared to scream but I think it. :rotfl:

I like the padded bars on the JP boats. I feel more secure somehow. Dudley looks much worse than both Splash and JP put together which is why I've never ridden it.

JPRA's drop height is 85 feet...near vertical. Splash Mountain's drop is 53 feet.

Okay, good to know. The drop isn't bad at all (here Busch Gardens Escape from Pompeii is 80ft). From the sounds of it & the video I watched this shouldn't be nearly as bad as Dinosaur at Disney was for me. You can drop me, jerk me, flip me around on any ride & it's all good, but make me face down dinosaur's & I freak out.:scared1: I do admit though that drop, water rides are my least favorite.

Okay, good to know. The drop isn't bad at all (here Busch Gardens Escape from Pompeii is 80ft). From the sounds of it & the video I watched this shouldn't be nearly as bad as Dinosaur at Disney was for me. You can drop me, jerk me, flip me around on any ride & it's all good, but make me face down dinosaur's & I freak out.:scared1: I do admit though that drop, water rides are my least favorite.

You did see the huge T Rex before the drop, right and the spitters on the way up the lift?

Hahaha, that's why I don't like Dinosaur either. It has such potential that is so wasted. Indy is one of my favourite rides anywhere.
:thumbsup2
i have secret hope that the now 'dumbed-down' indy show @ MGM will be torn down and the indy ride transported overpixiedust:fat chance lol

I'm too scared to scream but I think it. :rotfl:

I like the padded bars on the JP boats. I feel more secure somehow. Dudley looks much worse than both Splash and JP put together which is why I've never ridden it.

Oh, I liked Dudley more than JP. I hate the drops, but the Dudley one was just funny seeing the building at the bottom of the drop. And you can hold on the side rails, and put your feet on the side. My kids laugh at me. They are the one's with their hands up. Dudley's a ride I only do once too.

I don't feel like I'm gonna die on any flume ride. I am not a drop fan wet or dry. Lucky my kids didn't get that gene. They are ride junkies.

And Metro, I did NOT want to know the height or how veritical it was. All I heard was we're not gonna make it, the T-Rex staring at us, then we hang for a few seconds before the drop. I was like hurry up already. It does make a really big splash, even when it was only myself and my 2 kids in the boat.

You did see the huge T Rex before the drop, right and the spitters on the way up the lift?

Ha, yeah I saw it. I'm holding on to the hope that it's not the same feeling as Dinosaur that they are chasing me down. Like I said before, it will probably all depend on what kind of mood I'm in that day. My DH & kids don't get my "mood thing". Sometimes I'm in the mood & sometimes I'm not:rolleyes1 , even on rides I have rode many times.

I know these posts are a couple weeks old but I had to comment...

I totally think I'm gonna die on ToT. I usually only ride it so my mom doesn't have to go alone.

I used to think I was gonna die on Dinosaur (and I am a huge dinosaur fan, but I hated that ride). I decided last fall I was gonna be an adult and just do it again because I love dinosaurs and it's ridiculous not to ride it. I requested to be in the middle of the back row and it was MUCH, MUCH better. I wasn't scared like I had been the other 2 times I rode it and the jerking/dark wasn't as bad to me.

JP doesn't bother me at all. I loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter