Jurassic Park comparable to Dinosaur?

kimmyann

DIS Veteran
We are going to Universal next month & I was wondering if the Jurassic Park ride is comparable to the Dinosaur ride at Disney? I ask this because to be honest, the Dinosaur ride scared the daylights out of me & if Jurassic Park is just as scary, I think I will pass on it. I have a horrible fear of dinosaurs & the movie Jurassic Park gave me nightmares for a really long time. I know, it's silly to be my adult age, but it's just one of those fears.

Well, it is pretty cool water ride like Splash Mountain with the big drop. If you are afraid of dinosaurs it can get pretty scary before the drop when the T Rex is supposed to be chasing you. DD 10 loves the ride but closes her eyes before the drop because of the T-Rex.

With that sort of fear, I wouldn't go on it. It's pretty tense, hearing noises and seeing movement to the side, wondering if you're about to be attacked by dinosaurs. They did the ride really well.

The scariest part is during/after the lift hill. There are raptors and other small dino's spitting at the vehicle, and the large T-Rex looms over the drop at the end. It doesn't last all that long though.

The rest of the ride is a boat tour of animatronics like Jungle Cruise, sans skipper.

Yeah, that's about what I thought so I will probably pass. I don't mind looking around at things (dinosaurs), but once they start moving I'm out.:scared1: I figure I should be able to find something to occupy myself while the rest of the crew rides. When I rode Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom I just about had an anxiety attack & my eyes were closed through alot of the ride, the noises alone about did me in. Thanks!

Most of the ride is the tour, and to me the intense part is much less intense than Dinosaur at Disney. That part is also very very short.

Thanks Damo, I always forget about youtube. Just watched & it doesn't seem as intense as Dinosaur. I guess it will all come down to what kind of mood I'm in that day. :scratchin

To me Dinosaur was a much much more intense ride. It really hurls you around and is very jerky and strobe lighty. JPRA is smooth since you are in a boat until the splash down at the end. JPRA is my favorite ride at IoA. Like a pp said watch YouTube, but I would still give it a try. The majority of the ride is calm and serene with only a few mins of intense.

I think the alien section of the Great Movie ride at HS is worse that the Dino section of JPRA.

I closed my eyes all through Dinosaur - even though i had watched on you tube and knew the worst part was near the end. I would go on Jurassic park though, ill just close my eyes when we get inside the building where the drop is. I love water rides and dont want to miss it.

Dinosaur is way worse. Jurassic Park is not even scary for me, but Dinosaur scared the living daylights out of me.

Dinosaur is way worse. Jurassic Park is not even scary for me, but Dinosaur scared the living daylights out of me.

I agree. I don't like Dinosaur...its too loud and dark to enjoy it.

JPRA is a much different experience, it only gets bad at the end, and even then, it isn't very intense.

I'm more scared of Jurassic Park but only because I don't like big drops on water rides. The ride itself is really quite a bit milder than Dinosaur.

The biggest difference is that JP is a lot smoother being a boat ride, I know Dinosaur is a little rough and jerky. But as far as being scared maybe I"m just different but JP is not scary to me at all. I can see how maybe a younger child could get scared at the end when the T-Rex makes its appearance, but other than that, I'm not seeing any major fear factor, just MHO.

Same. Apart from the ending of JP the rides pretty smooth and your going at a pace where you can look at stuff as your going round.

I find Dinosaur panics me, especially when the big dinosaur starts chasing the car. I know the dinosaurs aren't real but it terrifies me all the same. DH finds it hilarious. :(

check out the gift shop in JP to get an idea of what you will see on the boat ride.

you will find lots of items they are selling that you would be viewing on that ride.

Isn't it funny how different we all area?

I find JP to be far scarier, because of the anticipation.

Dinosaur feels like a cartoon, feels ridiculous. There's absolutely NOTHING scary in it for me whatsoever. It's all flash bangs and nothing much else.

We're all so different.

since we're throwing out opinions here

Dinosaur managed to take a wonderful ride (Indiana Jones @ DL:goodvibes) and muck it up. Cannot figure out why the Orlando version of same ride platform beats us up so:confused3 Perhaps because it's darker? whatever, hate the ride and the entire area in AK for that matter:duck:. Look forward to strolling thru Universal's dino area even if we're skipping the ride, well-themed and nice and cool in the summer.

JP is mild in nature imo until you get to the drop;)

Tell me about the drop, please. I have a bad neck, so I don't do roller coasters anymore. I also don't do Splash anymore at either DL or WDW because the drop puts me in a world of hurt.

Is the drop on JP comparable in height to Splash?

I think it is 2x Splash Mtn. I was so scared I was basically laying on the floor screaming - not in photo at all - and asked EVERY ride after that if there were drops (even simulated rides). As you can see I was traumatized by Jurassic Park...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!