June 5, 2016 - Magic Goes to England, Ireland, Scotland and France

For those with more experience, we are now looking at doing Paris when we hit Le Havre. I think we are leaning to just taking the train from Le Havre and spending the day just walking and relaxing, taking in sites and sounds of Paris. Neither of us have been, but at the same time, realize that at some point we will go back, so it is not a must see and do all.

For those who have more experience, is the train the best way to go? We don't want to be in a large crowded bus stuck on a tour, but would prefer to just go with the flow of where we want to, stop and eat when we want to. Looked at the option of a private tour, but we are not overly interested in going into museums or to the top of the Eiffel Tower (MAJOR fear of heights here)..but want to see it and just take in the atmosphere.

Any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.

That's the reason I went ahead and booked her. She only does one tour per day. I know if you google "private tours orkney" a couple of different ones come up. I chose Pat because she seemed the most flexible and her reviews were outstanding on Trip Advisor. I know while going back and forth, she had mentioned she had just been booked for the next cruise for Jun 20th (I believe that is the date), so she does book up rather quickly.

That's me! We've booked Pat for 6/20! She did tell me that DCL has booked all available motor coaches in the area so the only options are small private tours.

I'm reading through your thread because we have a couple of similar ports and the 6/17/16 sailing doesn't have a meet thread yet.

That's me! We've booked Pat for 6/20! She did tell me that DCL has booked all available motor coaches in the area so the only options are small private tours.

I'm reading through your thread because we have a couple of similar ports and the 6/17/16 sailing doesn't have a meet thread yet.

MeeskaMooska, then start one!!! I bet there are other folks waiting for someone to do that! And in the meanwhile, you're welcome to share overlapping port planning info with us! I'm always happy to follow other people's research :)

Thanks for the info about the tour buses being all booked up. We like a combination of tours - depending on where they go and how long of a drive it is, and whether most of the itinerary for the excursion is what we would want to do. On the occasions that we have revisited a port, our second visit is mostly done on our own or through a private tour.

For those with more experience, we are now looking at doing Paris when we hit Le Havre. I think we are leaning to just taking the train from Le Havre and spending the day just walking and relaxing, taking in sites and sounds of Paris. Neither of us have been, but at the same time, realize that at some point we will go back, so it is not a must see and do all.

For those who have more experience, is the train the best way to go? We don't want to be in a large crowded bus stuck on a tour, but would prefer to just go with the flow of where we want to, stop and eat when we want to. Looked at the option of a private tour, but we are not overly interested in going into museums or to the top of the Eiffel Tower (MAJOR fear of heights here)..but want to see it and just take in the atmosphere.

Any tips or pointers are greatly appreciated.

I wonder if DCL might offer a bus or two that's a drop you off centrally and pick you up later option as they have done in other ports - so they give you several hours on your own, just providing transportation there and back to the ship.

We'll probably try to go to Normandy if excursions are offered or book something on our own - we haven't looked into it too much yet, but we know we want to go to Paris when we can stay a few days. And since this is a later port in the cruise, we figure we'll be getting to our "ported out" point in the cruise where a longer bus or train ride into Paris won't be as appealing as it might be if this port were at the front end of the cruise.

Hello all cruisers. I am not joining you but wanted to say hello, I live just outside Newcastle and I'm very excited to see the Disney Magic in my home port. We sailed around the Med on her in 2011. Looking forward to coming down to the port to see her upclose again and waving you all off as you sail onto to Scotland.

Happy cruising.

Kaz.

I'm hoping that DCl does have a shuttle to Paris from La Havre. My daughter REALLY wants to see the Eiffel Tower.

KAZPRINCESS- Any tips on what to see /experience in Newcastle?

MeeskaMooska, then start one!!! I bet there are other folks waiting for someone to do that! And in the meanwhile, you're welcome to share overlapping port planning info with us! I'm always happy to follow other people's research :)

Thanks for the info about the tour buses being all booked up. We like a combination of tours - depending on where they go and how long of a drive it is, and whether most of the itinerary for the excursion is what we would want to do. On the occasions that we have revisited a port, our second visit is mostly done on our own or through a private tour.

Thanks for the "nudge"! I did just that!

I found a similar private tour. Just wanted to see if they are in line with the cost. For a party of 5, 7 hours long total $450 pounds This does not include lunch

We are paying 425 pounds for a party of three (does include a light lunch). So I think that sounds about right.

FREEZING THE NIGHT AWAY MENU

Bread Selection
  • Knäckebröd – Dark Rye Bread
    with Liver Pâté Dip
Appetizers
  • Duke of Weselton’s Favorites
    Assorted Meats and Cheese with Knackerbrot, Pumpernickel and Pickles
  • Arendelle Gravlax
    with Apple Chips, Lingonberries and Crème Fraiche
  • Elsa’s Coronation Scallops
    Princess Scallops backed in a Shrimp Conac Tarragon Cream Sause, topped with Flaky Pastry
  • Jarlsbert Tart
    with Onion and Thyme
Soups & Salads
  • Oaken’s Red and Yellow Beetroot Saladwith Asparagus, Pickled Radishes, Cornichons, and Mustard Dressing
  • Andersen Baby Field Greens
    with Vanilla, Apricots, Brioches Croutons, Candied Walnuts, and Lingonberry Dressing
  • Sven’s Carrot Soup
    with Caraway and Cream
  • Portobello Mushroom Consommé
    with Vegetables and fresh Herbs

Main Course

• Herb Roasted Chicken
    with roasted Fennel Seed Potatoes, Seasonal Baby Vegetables and Port Wind Sauce
    A generous, mild, slight toffee flavor of a Icelandic Pale Ale
  • Anna’s Honey-Mustard Marinated Salmon
    with Sautéed Spinach, New Potatoes and an Aquavit-Sour Cream Sauce
    Linie Aquavit, light and crisp with her and spice flavors.
  • Hans’s Juniper Wild Boar Filet
    with Sparrle, Kale, Baby Roasted Turnips and Wild Mushroom Cream Sauce
    A robust and full bodied Barolo with violet and truffle notes
  • Veal “King Agda”
    Veal Lion topped with Pulled White Crab Meat and Béarnaise Glaze, served with Buttered Spinach, Creamy Polenta and a Red Wine Reduction
    A refreshing elegant and crisp Red with a kiss of spice on the finish.
  • Kristoff’s Rosemary Marinated Striploin
    with Crushed Red Bliss Potatoes, Butter Green Beans and Cabernet Jus
    Cabernet Sauvignon with wonder surprises.
Vegetarian
  • Pabbi’s Stuffed Babbage RouladesSavory Cabbage stuffed with Brown Rice, Asparagus, Leeks, Carrots, and Lingonberry served with a Dill Cream Sauce
  • Bulda’s Vegetable Lattice
    Celeriac, Carrots, Spinach and Shallots, Baked in a Puff Pastry served with a White Wine-Thyme Cream Sauce
Lighter Note Offerings
  • Alesund Smoked Trout SaladFlaked Smoked Trout with Roasted Carrots and Parsnips, Sour Cream, Beetroot, and Walnut Vinagrette
  • Grilled Grain-Fed Sirloin Steak*
  • Slow Rasted Chicken Breast*
  • Oven Baked Filet of Salmon*
*Served with Garden Vegetables and choice of White Rice or Baked Potatoe

Freezing the Night Away with Anna, Elsa and Friends Dessert Menu

Frozen Desserts

• Sweet Temptation
    A trio of Olaf’s White Chocolate Floro Dome, Almond Berry Crumble Cake, and Norwegian Pancake
  • Oaken Warm Apple Pudding Cake
    served with Butterscotch Cinnamon Sauce and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
  • Olaf’s White Chocolat Floro Dome
    Centered with Carrot Cake, Norwegian Cardamon Cookie, and Marshmallow Whipped Cream
  • Pannekaken – Norwegian Pancake
    Pancakes rolled in with a Sweetened Lingonberry with Cream Cheese
  • Frozen Yogur Romanoff Sundae
    Fresh Strawberries marinated in Cointreau, Vanilla Frozen Yogurt and Chopped Pistachio Nuts
No Sugar Added Frozen Desserts
  • Sitron Mousse
    Light Creamy Lemon Mousse Served with Rhubarb Pure
  • Almond Berry Crumble Cake
    Served with fresh Berry Compote

Anyone not wishing to eat their White Chocolate Floro Dome let your server know to just bring it to my table and I will see that it is disposed of properly :cloud9:

Hi, everyone! I'm Linda and with my friend Cindy, just booked this cruise! This will be our first trip to Europe and our first Platinum cruise!

UPDATE: Howard and I have decided to cancel this cruise. Cindy (nzdisneymom) is going to take over posting all of the information that normally goes in the first post, so just look at her post below. I think she will copy everything from this first post into the very next one and will keep it updated.

Happy Planning!
-----------------------------------------------------

Hi, everyone! This thread will be the DIS Boards home for those of us planning to go on the Disney Magic when it sails from Dover in the UK to ports in England, Scotland, Ireland and France.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone in the next 14+ months and sharing planning tips and strategies!

---------------------------------
Roll Call for this cruise:
2littlestitches
Alohagirl73 (& DH, DD5 and DS1)
cali cruiser (Michelle) & DH (John), DD13 (Megan) and DS17 (Jacob)
DL1957 & DH, DSis, DBiL
EpcotKilterFan (Debbie & Mom)
gydell (Gydell) & DH (Bill), DD (Betsy) and DGS14 (Brent)
keenercam (Cam) & keenho (Howard)
Kim3 & DH & DS8 and DS10
MandJHuff (Mike and Janet)
Mickey&JoshNut (Elaine) & DM (Margaret)
MJ (Mary Jo & Jack)
MPS516 (Mike & DW - Donna & DD - Jessi & Megan)
nzdisneymom (Cindy D & DH Gary, DSNathan20, DSZachary18)
Terapin
------------------------------------------
Itinerary (from confirmation):

Sunday, June 5, 2016, DOVER, Onboard 4:00 PM
Monday, June 6, 2016, AT SEA
Tuesday, June 7, 2016, NEWCASTLE, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:30 PM
Wednesday, June 8, 2016, INVERGORDON, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
Thursday, June 9, 2016, KIRKWALL, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
Friday, June 10, 2016, AT SEA
Saturday, June 11, 2016, GREENOCK, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
Sunday, June 12, 2016, LIVERPOOL, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
Monday, June 13, 2016, DUBLIN, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 5:15 PM
Tuesday, June 14, 2016, AT SEA
Wednesday, June 15, 2016, LE HAVRE, Ashore 7:15 AM, Onboard 10:45 PM
Thursday, June 16, 2016, GUERNSEY, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:30 PM
Friday, June 17, 2016, DOVER, Ashore 7:00 AM
--------------------------------
Thread Directory --

RE: DOVER and Pre-Cruise information:

Thank you to Cindy D. (nzdisneymom) for providing all of the following links:

Link to The White Cliffs Dover Hotel & Guest House Group which has various accommodations for Dover -- http://www.stayindover.co.uk/accommodation.php

Port of Dover and Cruise Terminal -- http://www.doverport.co.uk/

How to get to Dover Cruise Terminal by Train, Taxi, Air -- http://www.doverport.co.uk/cruise/how-to-get-here/

The Pre-Cruise Arrival Guide that is available when you pull up your reservation on DCL also has information about how to get from Gatwick and Heathrow and Central London.

how do we get our name on this list...we just put the deposit down and are very excited for this once in a lifetime trip.

Can someone tell me how the fish extenders work? This will be our second disney cruise and I have heard about the fish extenders but not sure how it works or how to be a part of it. Thank you

FREEZING THE NIGHT AWAY MENU

Thanks for posting the menu. I love getting a sneak-peek!

Hi, everyone! I'm Linda and with my friend Cindy, just booked this cruise! This will be our first trip to Europe and our first Platinum cruise!

Linda, welcome to the group!

how do we get our name on this list...we just put the deposit down and are very excited for this once in a lifetime trip.

Cynthia - welcome to the group - I'll add you to the list in post #2 as soon as I post this :)

Can someone tell me how the fish extenders work? This will be our second disney cruise and I have heard about the fish extenders but not sure how it works or how to be a part of it. Thank you

Fish Extenders are a small gift-exchange among fellow passengers. If you choose to participate, you sign up with your meet group / roll call (that's us!) at some point before the trip, and the organizer will provide everyone who signs up with the number of cabins participating, cabin numbers (so you'll know where to make your deliveries), adults/kids per cabin (to help you with planning how much to bring or if yo're doing something different for kids vs adults), etc. Then each cabin that is participating will bring enough of whatever they want to pass out with them and at some point during the cruise, they'll go around the ship and deliver their gifts. Participating cabins will hang a bag or "fish extender" outside their cabin door so that there is something to the gifts to be left in. Fish Extender exchanges are meant to be fun, not expensive, just a little token of something for the group. Depending on how many people are participating and what the group wants to do, they can be divided up into smaller groups to be more manageable or can be larger. There are several threads here on the DIS about how to make a fish extender to hang outside your door as well as examples of things that people have made or bought to give and ideas. We love to participate and generally try to give something that is useful either onboard during the trip or as a fun reminder of the trip when you get home.

We haven't set up a sign-up or anything for this cruise yet, but I suspect by the end of the summer, we'll get to it, so just watch for an announcement, and I'll add the contact info for the coordinator in post#2 as well.

Hello everyone. We are STRONGLY considering changing our 2016 Alaska cruise to this itinerary. Our DD12 would have to miss the last week of 7th grade but what a perfect excuse to play hooky!! We did the Southern Caribbean with Susan and Bob and loved it except both my daughter and I became very sick with bronchitis, sinus and ear infection while on board so we stayed in the cabin 50% of the cruise. I'm researching to see if we should change, 9B is the same price as opening day so we can still justify the cost!

Hi All,

Hello from Northern California! We booked this cruise the day it became available. We are really looking forward to this itinerary. We are a family of 4, Sherri - Mom, Brian - Dad, 16 year old daughter and 12 year old son at the time of the cruise. This will be our 11th Disney cruise, although we have a few scheduled before this. Next up for us is the Northern European Cruise this coming July. Can't wait!

Brian

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter