June 5, 2016 - Magic Goes to England, Ireland, Scotland and France

keenercam

Loves Mickey!
UPDATE: Howard and I have decided to cancel this cruise. Cindy (nzdisneymom) is going to take over posting all of the information that normally goes in the first post, so just look at her post below. I think she will copy everything from this first post into the very next one and will keep it updated.

Happy Planning!
-----------------------------------------------------

Hi, everyone! This thread will be the DIS Boards home for those of us planning to go on the Disney Magic when it sails from Dover in the UK to ports in England, Scotland, Ireland and France.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone in the next 14+ months and sharing planning tips and strategies!

---------------------------------
Roll Call for this cruise:
2littlestitches
Alohagirl73 (& DH, DD5 and DS1)
cali cruiser (Michelle) & DH (John), DD13 (Megan) and DS17 (Jacob)
DL1957 & DH, DSis, DBiL
EpcotKilterFan (Debbie & Mom)
gydell (Gydell) & DH (Bill), DD (Betsy) and DGS14 (Brent)
keenercam (Cam) & keenho (Howard)
Kim3 & DH & DS8 and DS10
MandJHuff (Mike and Janet)
Mickey&JoshNut (Elaine) & DM (Margaret)
MJ (Mary Jo & Jack)
MPS516 (Mike & DW - Donna & DD - Jessi & Megan)
nzdisneymom (Cindy D & DH Gary, DSNathan20, DSZachary18)
Terapin
------------------------------------------
Itinerary (from confirmation):

Sunday, June 5, 2016, DOVER, Onboard 4:00 PM
Monday, June 6, 2016, AT SEA
Tuesday, June 7, 2016, NEWCASTLE, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:30 PM
Wednesday, June 8, 2016, INVERGORDON, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
Thursday, June 9, 2016, KIRKWALL, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
Friday, June 10, 2016, AT SEA
Saturday, June 11, 2016, GREENOCK, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
Sunday, June 12, 2016, LIVERPOOL, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
Monday, June 13, 2016, DUBLIN, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 5:15 PM
Tuesday, June 14, 2016, AT SEA
Wednesday, June 15, 2016, LE HAVRE, Ashore 7:15 AM, Onboard 10:45 PM
Thursday, June 16, 2016, GUERNSEY, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:30 PM
Friday, June 17, 2016, DOVER, Ashore 7:00 AM
--------------------------------
Thread Directory --

RE: DOVER and Pre-Cruise information:

Thank you to Cindy D. (nzdisneymom) for providing all of the following links:

Link to The White Cliffs Dover Hotel & Guest House Group which has various accommodations for Dover -- http://www.stayindover.co.uk/accommodation.php

Port of Dover and Cruise Terminal -- http://www.doverport.co.uk/

How to get to Dover Cruise Terminal by Train, Taxi, Air -- http://www.doverport.co.uk/cruise/how-to-get-here/

The Pre-Cruise Arrival Guide that is available when you pull up your reservation on DCL also has information about how to get from Gatwick and Heathrow and Central London.

Last edited:
Since keenercam has cancelled, all the info that usually goes in the first post of a Roll Call (Meet) thread will now move to this post.

Hi, everyone! This thread will be the DIS Boards home for those of us planning to go on the Disney Magic when it sails from Dover in the UK to ports in England, Scotland, Ireland and France.

Roll Call for this cruise:

(updated 04-22-2016 - if you are sailing and we missed you on the list, send a PM to nzdisneymom to add you here)

abbycinnamon, parents and sister
Alohagirl73 (& DH, DD5 and DS1)
Arizona Rita (Rita_, husband Chris, son Eric and daughter
Aunt Pittypat and DD (Season)
bjt (Brian), DW (Sherri), DD16 DS12
Bellesmommy, her Mom, and DD (10)
BluegrassBelles - Donna, Joan, Sandy, and Sarah and Jeremy
cali cruiser (Michelle) & DH (John), DD13 (Megan) and DS17 (Jacob)
casacoco (Susan) and DS (15)
castaway811 - Julie, Rob, DS11 Matthew and DD9 Grace
chip&dale&fun
CynthiaGraves
DCLCruiser84 (Nora and Dennis)
Disdreams77, DH, DD9 and DD7
Disney Cruisers - Joseph and Cecilia
DisneyDDS
DizC1288 - Cyndi and friends Lisa (DIS name Gretel), Sharon, and Lucinda
DL1957 & DH, DSis, DBiL
Drnifer
DVCMike - Mike, DW (Alice), DD (adult Michelle)
EpcotKilterFan (Debbie & Mom)
fantasmic000 (Darlene) and Dalila
gumbosquirrel, DH, DS (10), DD (3)
gydell (Gydell) & DH (Bill), and DGS14 (Brent)
hygienist999 and DH (Roddy)
JCrump, DH, DS(6)
Kim3 & DH & DS8 and DS10
Kris24 (Kristan), DH (Dewayne), DS8 (Kaleb -turning 9 onboard)
kwork11, DH, DC21 DC13
Leslie Hand, DS22, DS13
lilpath (Scott and Lynda)
LisaTex, her Mom (Sue), her niece (17), and DD (3)
LoveMickey (Kathy and Tim)
lscott148
MandJHuff (Mike and Janet)
MelissaIsalene with two sisters and parents
Meum (Marianne) and DH (Kent)
Mineu
MPS516 (Mike & DW - Donna & DD - Jessi & Megan)
nanaguide
nyck
nzdisneymom - Cindy D & DH Gary, DS19 (Nathan), DS18 (Zachary)
pachy26 - Randy and Sandy
Paul Graden - Paul and DD Stephanie (18)
Rapunzel22 - Jennifer, Jonathan DD(3) DD (1)
RetCM - Linda, Cindy
Scgustafson, DW, DD (11)
Schiffy (Mark and Carol)
scrapbookmomma74 (Tracy), DH (Adam), DK (15) DK (12)
SIN Cruiser, DW, DD (10), DD (8)
SirGoofy, DW
Specht, DH, Mom, MIL, 2 children (10 and 7)
Susan_Simmons
suzysharp, DH, DMom
time for travel
Tink1970 and DH
UMDaisy
VA Mickey Pals
wrabitdad (Bob) DW (Dale)
Yesnidfan (Pete) DW (Faith)

If you are interested in participating in a Fish Extender gift exchange, please PM the following information to Alohagirl73:

Name(s)
Cabin Number - if you have more than one cabin in your sailing party and each cabin wants to participate, please sign up each cabin separately.
Number of people in Cabin
Age and Gender
Favorite Character
Allergies
Special Occasions
# Cabins Participating - this means if you want to only participate with a limited number of cabins due to space, etc., then put how many cabins you'd like to exchange with - this is how many gifts you would bring and then ultimately receive - so if you say 10, you bring gifts for the other 9; if you say all, then that's everyone who's participating.

If you aren't sure what a Fish Extender gift exchange is all about, this link explains:
DISboards Fish-Extender Basics - http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise-line/fish-extender-basics.htm

Questions? Feel free to ask here or by PM. Sign-ups are due by April 30th.

Itinerary (from confirmation):
updated January 2016

Sunday, June 5, 2016, DOVER, Onboard 4:00 PM
Monday, June 6, 2016, AT SEA
Tuesday, June 7, 2016, NEWCASTLE, Ashore 7:30 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
-- DCL Excursions: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/europe/list/newcastle-england/
Wednesday, June 8, 2016, INVERGORDON, Ashore 8:00 AM, Onboard 7:00 PM
-- DCL Excursions: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/europe/list/invergordon-scotland/
Thursday, June 9, 2016, KIRKWALL, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 4:45 PM
-- DCL Excursions: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/europe/list/kirkwall-scotland/
Friday, June 10, 2016, AT SEA
Saturday, June 11, 2016, GREENOCK, Ashore 8:00 AM, Onboard 5:45 PM
-- DCL Excursions: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/europe/list/greenock-scotland/
Sunday, June 12, 2016, LIVERPOOL, Ashore 7:45 AM, Onboard 9:45 PM
-- DCL Excursions: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/transatlantic/list/liverpool-england/
Monday, June 13, 2016, DUBLIN, Ashore 8:15 AM, Onboard 5:15 PM
-- DCL Excursions: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/transatlantic/list/dublin-ireland/
Tuesday, June 14, 2016, AT SEA
Wednesday, June 15, 2016, LE HAVRE, Ashore 7:15 AM, Onboard 10:45 PM
-- DCL Excursions: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/europe/list/le-havre-france/
Thursday, June 16, 2016, GUERNSEY, Ashore 8:00 AM, Onboard 4:30 PM
-- DCL Excursions: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/europe/list/st-peter-port-guernsey/
Friday, June 17, 2016, DOVER, Ashore 7:00 AM

--------------------------------
Thread Directory --

BadPinkTink's Post O'Information about Dublin:
http://disboards.com/threads/disney-magic-dublin-ireland-port-information.3456357/

RE: DOVER and Pre-Cruise information:

Link to The White Cliffs Dover Hotel & Guest House Group which has various accommodations for Dover -- http://www.stayindover.co.uk/accommodation.php

Port of Dover and Cruise Terminal -- http://www.doverport.co.uk/

How to get to Dover Cruise Terminal by Train, Taxi, Air -- http://www.doverport.co.uk/cruise/how-to-get-here/

The Pre-Cruise Arrival Guide that is available when you pull up your reservation on DCL also has information about how to get from Gatwick and Heathrow and Central London.

Last edited:
If you haven't already, please post a link to your thread - http://www.disboards.com/threads/ju...-england-ireland-scotland-and-france.3393675/ - in the 2016 Magic Cruise Meets thread at the top of the Cruise Meets board. That way, Irish Cowboy can add your thread to the list so that other cruisers can find your thread and join in.

PLEASE review the Cruise Meet Policy regarding Cruise Meet and Fish Extender programs. - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3353477

Links to Cruise Meet discussion/Fish Extenders other than those on the DIS may not be posted or offered by any other means (PM, email, "search" directions, etc.).

If you haven't already, please post a link to your thread - http://www.disboards.com/threads/ju...-england-ireland-scotland-and-france.3393675/ - in the 2016 Magic Cruise Meets thread at the top of the Cruise Meets board. That way, Irish Cowboy can add your thread to the list so that other cruisers can find your thread and join in.

PLEASE review the Cruise Meet Policy regarding Cruise Meet and Fish Extender programs. - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3353477

Links to Cruise Meet discussion/Fish Extenders other than those on the DIS may not be posted or offered by any other means (PM, email, "search" directions, etc.).

Thanks Doc! I just posted the link into the 2016 Magic Cruise Meets thread - I love that y'all make it so easy to find.
And thanks for posting the link about the policies - that way there won't be any question about what's allowable and what's not - we appreciate the DISBoards so much for our planning purposes and getting acquainted pre-trip with our fellow shipmates! Our first sailing was in December 2005 and if it wasn't for these boards, we would have missed out on so much!

I wanted to mention to everyone, in case you don't already know, that the exchange rate for Dollars to Euros is very good right now. It is so much better than it was when we were purchasing Euros for our 2014 DCL trip to the Mediterranean. We have purchased some already and put them in a safe, and we'll keep an eye on the rate. If it goes down more, we'll buy more Euros. We used them in Europe to pay private tour operators, a resort where we did a day pass, taxis, etc.

Guess I'll post our official introduction! I'm Cindy D., traveling with DH Gary (who will retire just five days before we sail), DS Nathan (who will turn 20 on the ship) and DS Zachary (who will be 18 and newly graduated from high school). This will be our 9th cruise on DCL - getting close to platinum! Our last DCL was in 2013 when we sailed back to back in the Med to Greece and then to Venice. That was for Nathan's graduation trip; this one is for Zachary!

We're in our favorite cabin on deck 6 midship with a verandah - we agreed to all cram into one cabin for one more sailing rather than spending what would be equivalent to excursion money on a second cabin (inside). We like to do both ship excursions and excursions on our own and are open to sharing private excursions should there be any for consideration as we get further into the planning process. We also love to participate in Fish Extenders (simple is best).

We had some Euro leftover from our last trip; I decided to keep it for "seed money" for our next European adventure. So that will be handy for France and Ireland!

Last edited:
Hi, Cindy! Howard and I will be sailing without our adult children on this cruise. We took them on the Disney 10-night Mediterranean cruise in June 2011 and had an amazing time. Howard and I sailed the Magic 12 night cruise from Venice to Barcelona in July 2014 and it was amazing beyond description, especially since Greece and Venice had been on our travel bucket list.

We'd love to return to some of the countries and European cities we've fallen in love with on our two previous Disney Med cruises, but just could not resist this itinerary. I have always wanted to see Ireland and Scotland. I know we'll only get a small sampling on this trip, but we are very excited about it.

We are currently booked in a verandah cabin on deck 6. We love that location! I think this will be our 10th or 11 Disney cruise, but I've lost track. LOL!

On our 2 previous Disney cruises, we did a mix of DCL and private excursions and met some wonderful couples and families by sharing private excursions. :)
We had a great time with the Fish Extender exchanges too.
We also met a lot of families because I coordinated a large group dinner in Barcelona the night before we boarded the Magic in 2011 and a large group dinner in Venice the night before we boarded the Magic in July 2014. Some of those cruisers are booked for this trip too and they were a very fun bunch. It is going to be great.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone! I am so excited about this trip :-) It will be just hubby and I on this trip!

I have got to work on my signature :/

I guess I should actually introduce ourselves! My name is Janet and hubby is Mike. We are down in room 2133. When I called I said cheapest you have left :-) This will be my first trip overseas. This will be our 9th sailing with Disney and honestly I am so hoping that Fred and Ronald will still be on board or back on board at O'Gills! We had the best time with them on the last cruise. Hmmmmm 12 night cruise.... need to start saving for O'Gills for sure :-) Something tells me I am going to be a bit obsessed with the planning of this trip and while I am putting it out there I need to use this as an inspiration to drop a few pounds before sailing too! :-)

Hi, everyone! We are booked....we are a family of 4, with me, my husband, and two boys who will be 14 and 15 at the time of the cruise. I've sailed with DCL through Dover before when I did the Baltic Cruise, and I hope to do a pre-stay in London again. We are on deck 7, in a category 5a. Really excited to be booked!

:eeyore:Hello All :wave:

We are onboard and looking forward to an active meet thread. It is me, DW and 2 DD (age 24 at cruise)

Janet I got through at 8:47 and got the last 9b four person stateroom. Will be watching for openings to move.
:genie:

Hi, Cindy! Howard and I will be sailing without our adult children on this cruise.

We'd love to return to some of the countries and European cities we've fallen in love with on our two previous Disney Med cruises, but just could not resist this itinerary. I have always wanted to see Ireland and Scotland. I know we'll only get a small sampling on this trip, but we are very excited about it.

We are currently booked in a verandah cabin on deck 6. We love that location!

We love Deck 6, too. We have sailed in 6116 multiple times on the Magic (and twice on the Wonder) and would have been disappointed to not get her this time - but we did! We have a couple of "back up" cabins if we didn't get 6116. We've done the Mediterranean (in 2007 and again on B2B in 2013) and we did the Baltic in 2010. The new ports for this itinerary pretty much made the decision for us because if we're going to spend this much money, we'd rather go (mostly) new places.

I guess I should actually introduce ourselves! My name is Janet and hubby is Mike. We are down in room 2133. When I called I said cheapest you have left :-) This will be my first trip overseas. This will be our 9th sailing with Disney and honestly I am so hoping that Fred and Ronald will still be on board or back on board at O'Gills!

We haven't sailed on the Magic since her upgrade - O'Gills must be new - where is it located on the ship?

Hi, everyone! We are booked....we are a family of 4, with me, my husband, and two boys who will be 14 and 15 at the time of the cruise. I've sailed with DCL through Dover before when I did the Baltic Cruise, and I hope to do a pre-stay in London again. We are on deck 7, in a category 5a. Really excited to be booked!

We were talking tonight about how much time we want in London pre-sailing. We also did the Baltic in 2010 and arrived in time to have three nights in London pre-sailing and stayed over two nights afterwards. It was enough time for DH and the boys but I would have liked more time. Of course arrival day is pretty much a wash because of exhaustion. This time I think we'll arrive so we have one full day (so two nights) prior and then either just come home the day we disembark or the following day. We disembark on a Friday so if the difference in airfare for four is enough less that it's cheaper to spend a night in London, who am I to argue with the math?

:eeyore:Hello All :wave:

We are onboard and looking forward to an active meet thread. It is me, DW and 2 DD (age 24 at cruise)

Janet I got through at 8:47 and got the last 9b four person stateroom. Will be watching for openings to move.
:genie:

Welcome! When I logged into DCL to double check that everything looked right, the Goofy icon told me we have 438 days to get to know each other here!

O'Gills is updated Diversions. We did the reimagined Magic last year from Venice to Barcelona, did not like the change of Parrot Cay but Animators Pallet is nice. We love the Wonder and the Magic.

Seems we have a lot in common nzdisneymom!!! Our family also did the Med and the Baltic, and we also did a 3 night pre-stay in London. Rode the London Eye, Toured Windsor Castle and Stonehenge one day, also saw the Tower of London. I'm trying to figure out what to do this time. London is an awesome city to visit, and I'd recommend at least 2 nights if possible for anyone who hasn't been.

Last edited:
On our last cruise we didn't take the kiddos and we were lucky enough to have our neighbors join us for the trip. We definitely enjoyed the adults only time! I have to say that we went into O'Gills chanting F R E D on most nights (and days) to have Fred come over and greet us so warmly. I enjoyed them so much and couldn't imagine my joy if I find out either one of them is still on board when we go on this trip. We would go and have adult time and Fred and Ronald would go and grab us food and deliver it to us. We had such a great time. I am so excited!

Hi folks!

We are joining this cruise. In cabin 6630. It will be me, my soon-to-be DH, and our 8 month old baby. We have 5 other kids between us but they will be staying home for this trip, as we have a long WDW trip planned in February and we don't want to spoil them toooo much ;-) This cruise will function as our Honeymoon - and with a baby in tow we are planning on doing lots of sightseeing and walking, and hopefully sneak in a nice brunch and dinner at Palo.

I've done a couple other Disney Cruises: short Bahamas sailings, and the 2010 WB Transatlantic from Barcelona. I was last on the Magic just prior to the refurb.

Thrilled (and much poorer) to be on this cruise!

Where has everyone been on DCL? Cam we were with you in Greek Isls last year, suppper night before was really fun. For us we have done:
Multiple Caribbean & Bahama
Mediterranean
Alaska
Panama Canal
Baltic (this July)

Will probably spend time in Ireland pre cruise 2016.

Hi, Mike! Looking forward to seeing you and Donna and Jessi again! (Hope I got that right. :) )

Yes, Howard and I were on the Venice to Barcelona trip in July 2014 and had such a blast every mile of the way, from our days pre-cruise in Venice, to fun on the ship with new friends, late nights in O'Gills, tours and excursions, and our time in Barcelona post-cruise. It truly was the trip of a lifetime, and now we have this fabulous adventure to plan and anticipate. I am going to start gathering guidebooks and create my accordion file for this trip. I am going to take the tab labels off from last year's cruise and start organizing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter