June 5, 2016 - Magic Goes to England, Ireland, Scotland and France

Count us in! Myself, DH, two DD (ages 9 and 7 at sailing). We have never traveled to Europe and are so overwhelmed with all of the preparations!

Count us in! Myself, DH, two DD (ages 9 and 7 at sailing). We have never traveled to Europe and are so overwhelmed with all of the preparations!

hi :wave:
Im not going on the cruise but I live in one of the ports, Dublin. If you scroll back through the thread I have posted lots of info about Dublin

Welcome Disdreams77!!!

In the planning process just taking it one port at a time. Have Paris planned as long as DCL offers transportation to and from. I know we are going to do Hop on Hop off bus in Dublin. Thanks to BadPinkTink.

Any questions just ask.

Welcome Disdreams77!!!

In the planning process just taking it one port at a time. Have Paris planned as long as DCL offers transportation to and from. I know we are going to do Hop on Hop off bus in Dublin. Thanks to BadPinkTink.

Any questions just ask.

OK, you offered! Here is my first round of questions for anyone who is willing to help me :).
1. Does everyone fly into London? If so, do most folks travel by train or car service? Do you come to Dover the night before or morning of?
2. What would you do with one full day in London? We have never been to Europe and have two girls ages 9, 7.
3. Is anyone concerned with the long ride to Paris? Do you guys still think that it is worth it with the three hours each way?
4. What is evening entertainment like for 12 nights? Dining? We have been on 8 DCL cruises....longest being 7 nights.
5. Will it be warm enough to swim?
6. What do you think embarkation time will be?
7. What do you think the odds of embarkation cabin upgrades will be? There seem to be a lot of cabins now available again....where in the beginning there were not.
8. Do you guys usually do the DCL port adventures or do you recommend private port excursions with the European itineraries?
9. Anyone considering Normandy over Paris for the French Port?

Ok, that is all that I can think of for the moment.....my head is spinning! We were going to choose an ABD with just the two adults, but I didn't want to leave my kids and I loved this opportunity!

1. We are flying into Heathrow. We have a direct flight on British Airways. We are using Coastal Cars from our hotel in London to Dover on the morning of cruise. It is 150 pounds for 4 of us plus a car seat.

2. We only have one full day in London. Just hitting the touristy sites. Still need to get a full plan together for London as my husband has never been neither have my 2 children who will be 5 and 1 at the time of cruise.

3. I am concerned for long ride to Paris but this is the port my husband is insistent upon on going not matter what! There are many going to Normandy. I have been to both Normandy and Paris. I would love to go to Normandy but not this trip at the moment!

4. Don't know about entertainment has we have only done 7 night cruises. This will be our longest one.

5. Not sure. British weather is unpredictable. My daughter loves the water. I think my husband is playing on trying the Aquadunk. I'm not willing to try that! Took me 2 cruises on the Fantasy before going on the Aquaduck!

6. Don't know!

7. Sorry don't know. Hopefully will be good.

8. With trying to get Paris hoping they have the transportation and then doing it ourselves. Researched a few things. Going to do mostly ourselves or private tours with the exception of Kirkwall. Will do DCL. Though we will look at DCL port adventures when they come out. Kirkwall is already up as they went there this summer.

9. See #3.

Anymore questions? I don't mind as it gets me thinking and planning. Can't wait as we will be in London in 38 weeks!!!

1. We are flying into Heathrow. We have a direct flight on British Airways. We are using Coastal Cars from our hotel in London to Dover on the morning of cruise. It is 150 pounds for 4 of us plus a car seat.

2. We only have one full day in London. Just hitting the touristy sites. Still need to get a full plan together for London as my husband has never been neither have my 2 children who will be 5 and 1 at the time of cruise.

3. I am concerned for long ride to Paris but this is the port my husband is insistent upon on going not matter what! There are many going to Normandy. I have been to both Normandy and Paris. I would love to go to Normandy but not this trip at the moment!

4. Don't know about entertainment has we have only done 7 night cruises. This will be our longest one.

5. Not sure. British weather is unpredictable. My daughter loves the water. I think my husband is playing on trying the Aquadunk. I'm not willing to try that! Took me 2 cruises on the Fantasy before going on the Aquaduck!

6. Don't know!

7. Sorry don't know. Hopefully will be good.

8. With trying to get Paris hoping they have the transportation and then doing it ourselves. Researched a few things. Going to do mostly ourselves or private tours with the exception of Kirkwall. Will do DCL. Though we will look at DCL port adventures when they come out. Kirkwall is already up as they went there this summer.

9. See #3.

Anymore questions? I don't mind as it gets me thinking and planning. Can't wait as we will be in London in 38 weeks!!!

OK, second round :)

1. What time do you think we should plan on getting do the Port in Dover?
2. What is the earliest time you would plan a flight departure in London after the cruise?
3. Do a lot of European DCL Port Excursions sell out or are there a lot to go around?

We 're doing Newcastle tours -
Angel
cathedral/castle
Washington house
Castle
I have contacted Newcastle Tours for our 6/17 sailing. They sent me a quote but when I replied back to confirm, they told me to contact them in the New Year to book. Is that your experience?

I have contacted Newcastle Tours for our 6/17 sailing. They sent me a quote but when I replied back to confirm, they told me to contact them in the New Year to book. Is that your experience?
They have us on the calendar but will confirm in January.

We have our price, date, and times set with them. We can't pay until January. Make sure you get on their calendar.
My initial email to them told them the date and times the Magic will be in port. His response included a price and a list of activities. My reply stated I wanted to book it with possibly some changes to the itinerary. His last email said they were still working on this year's tours and to contact him in early January. I don't know if that means we are booked or not. It sounds like I need to send a follow-up email just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your help!

My initial email to them told them the date and times the Magic will be in port. His response included a price and a list of activities. My reply stated I wanted to book it with possibly some changes to the itinerary. His last email said they were still working on this year's tours and to contact him in early January. I don't know if that means we are booked or not. It sounds like I need to send a follow-up email just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your help!
I have in wriiting that he has us reserved for that day.it may be good just to make sure.

Hi all, Im not going on this cruise, just wanted to follow this thread as I live in Dublin, Ireland :) There has been some mentions of the cruise in the Irish media, its the first time the ship has come to Dublin, so the Irish Tourist Board are starting to promote it. If you want any help with the Dublin / Irish port stop, let me know :)
Would love your help! As many of us will be traveling with smaller children, what sites would you recommend for families? it seems fairly easy to find tours for adults....but would you you do for a family with a 7 and 9 year old? Thank you for your help!!

I see many of you planning on using the car services instead of the train from London to Dover.....is there a particular reason?

I see many of you planning on using the car services instead of the train from London to Dover.....is there a particular reason?
For me, as a single mom, I need things as seamless as possible. To take the train would involve 3 "steps" (taxi from hotel to train station, train ride, taxi from train station to boat) whereas taking a private car is only 1 step...plus (and this is a big plus) I don't want be schlepping a whole bunch of luggage all over the place.

Are there any ports in particular that you think younger children (7,9) are going to be more excited about seeing? My thoughts.....Paris will be exciting (except for the bus ride). I just saw that Newcastle has one of the castles from Harry Potter (pretty cool in my book and my 9 year olds). Originally we were not going to take our kids on our first trip across the pond, but when the DCL trip came up....well? We decided to go for it as a family. While I am not one to cater to my children exclusively I may like to try to find a few things that I know they would enjoy. Anyone have any thoughts?

OK, I have gotten emails from Peter at newcastlecitytours.co and I am quickly getting frustrated at incomplete answers and lack of enthusiasm. Is this the recommended tour company for Newcastle? Is this what you guys were getting from this company or I am not asking the right questions? I am asking about tours for families.....first response seems to be about concern for kids getting bored. Second question from me was more specific about castle tours....then I got a response about 2 castles with a price for transportation only. What is this? Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong?

OK, I have gotten emails from Peter at newcastlecitytours.co and I am quickly getting frustrated at incomplete answers and lack of enthusiasm. Is this the recommended tour company for Newcastle? Is this what you guys were getting from this company or I am not asking the right questions? I am asking about tours for families.....first response seems to be about concern for kids getting bored. Second question from me was more specific about castle tours....then I got a response about 2 castles with a price for transportation only. What is this? Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong?
My initial email requested a tour that included both ruins and castles (instead of all castles or all ruins which seemed to be the tours on the website). My response listed several sites plus a price. He went on to say that the sites were free so the cost was was for the transportation (and guide). I bet the castles he gave you are also free.

Last edited:
Would love your help! As many of us will be traveling with smaller children, what sites would you recommend for families? it seems fairly easy to find tours for adults....but would you you do for a family with a 7 and 9 year old? Thank you for your help!!

waves hello :)
if you scroll back a few pages I have posted some info for young children. Im just popping in quickly to Dis tonight, I will have more time tomorrow to reply properly :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter