June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

Finally booked our flights today! Patience paid off!~ They have been going for $1475 for the last few weeks, got them today for $1309!!!:cheer2::cheer2:

And they are better times/layovers than I have been seeing! :)

Can't believe it's just a little over 2 months till we leave! :cool1:

Today, I decided to get a bit organized. I printed out the descriptions of the shore excursions we booked through DCL. It's nice to read it over the night before the excursion to know what we can expect and to make sure we have the suggested items. I put each one in a seperate envelope and add the tip that I anticipate giving. You may call me crazy, but it helps my organization. :rotfl:

Tomorrow, I plan on reconfirming my post-night hotel reservation and making copies of our passports.

Still haven't heard of any others joining us for the pre-cruise Adventures By Disney. I happy to report that it wasn't cancelled, but sure wish I had some Disers joining us.

Decided not to join in the Fish Extenders; just too much going on here to get organized. We have a family wedding the weekend before the trip, and our schools don't get out till the middle of June.

It's starting to really become a reality!!!:thumbsup2

I booked my hot air balloon ride today. Only thing left to book is the gondola ride. If anyone is in Barcelona on the 10th of July and wants to do a balloon ride let me know.

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to mention that the Fish Extender sign-up ends tomorrow, so if you haven't signed up and want to, please do. If you're signed up and don't want to, then please change to No. And if you're undecided, please change to Yes or No accordingly.

Here's the link:

Group Spreadsheet.

Right now we have 20 families signed up, so it's still a manageable group.

There are the Undecideds:
lmcarr (I think you're also listed on the spreadsheet as lisamcarr)
dorothyn
redcoral33
dakridge
teerama
klar
friedrich2010

Thanks so much!

Hey- I'm in for sure. Will be changing to yes!! Thank you;-)

I booked my hot air balloon ride today. Only thing left to book is the gondola ride. If anyone is in Barcelona on the 10th of July and wants to do a balloon ride let me know.

We leave on the 10th. A balloon ride sounds fab over Barcelona!

I just updated ours to no. It sounds like a great time, and I hope to be able to do it on one of our next dcl cruises, but I just don't think it will work with this one. Hope all of you have fun with it

Thanks for the tip to pre-book your tickets for the tour bus in Barcelona..gotta add that to my list! I have to thank all of your for so many great tips (both on here and fb) between the tour bus tickets, my new pacsafe bag, and the secret itineraries tour (belles mommy...we are on the 11:15ish?? one) our trip is coming together nicely.
:cool1:

We have updated ours to No as well. I was looking forward to it but I have started packing and we just don't have room on a 2-week trip. Have a great time!

You are welcome. We did the exclusive Sistine Chapel tour in 2007 with Disney and it was worth the whole trip. We were in a small group after hours and were free to roam and TAKE VIDEO AND PICTURES!!!! (which is not allowed during regular hours. It was amazing. Our guide was really knowledgable about the history of St. Peters and even kept the kids interested. Disney does employ excellent guide services.

We are on that tour as well. I am REALLY looking forward to it :)

.....and insist on seats that are together or close and NOT THE LAST ROW!!! First time we went through DCL airfare I was stuck with the last row that does not recline.:sad: At least my family were in the next row up and could recline. Have them pick you good seats.....they do purchase the least expensive seats available

Once you get your airline confirmation # you can go to the airline's website and move your seats. We also make sure that we check in early at the airport so that they can move seats around if necessary. That way we are assured that everyone in our party sits together for all flights.

Can't believe it's just a little over 2 months till we leave! :cool1:

Today, I decided to get a bit organized. I printed out the descriptions of the shore excursions we booked through DCL. It's nice to read it over the night before the excursion to know what we can expect and to make sure we have the suggested items. I put each one in a seperate envelope and add the tip that I anticipate giving. You may call me crazy, but it helps my organization. :rotfl:

Tomorrow, I plan on reconfirming my post-night hotel reservation and making copies of our passports.

Still haven't heard of any others joining us for the pre-cruise Adventures By Disney. I happy to report that it wasn't cancelled, but sure wish I had some Disers joining us.

Decided not to join in the Fish Extenders; just too much going on here to get organized. We have a family wedding the weekend before the trip, and our schools don't get out till the middle of June.

It's starting to really become a reality!!!:thumbsup2

Great ideas! I am an obsessive planner as well. Because this is such a port intensive trip and DD (8) will be going on some very mature port adventures, I have been putting together games to keep her engaged. We have Bingo in Villefranche where she has to mark off the places as we visit them and she gets a small prize when she Bingos and then another when she clears her board. We are doing Florence on Your Own and trekking off to the Uffizi. I found the Uffizi gallery page on line and they list the paintings by room. I chose 1 or 2 paintings from each room, copied the image and printed them on small pocket-sized cards on a ring. As we enter each room, I give her a card and she has to find the painting. When she shows me the painting, I will give her a small monetary gift to put in a little pouch and she gets to add the card to a ring that she will be wearing. At the end of the museum visit, she can use that money in the gift shop. Now to come up with fun games for the rest of the ports. :)

I would advise you to purchase your tickets to the Uffizi gallery ahead of time because the line goes down the block for same day viewings. Also we had taken "adult" type excursions with our youngsters in the past and our guides were very nice and inclusive with the young kids. Florence is about an hour drive from port as well as Rome so I found that the kids seem to gather together on the bus and keep each other entertained. Off the highway going to Florence you can see giant marble quarries where they mine famous marble used throughout the world.:)

We will be a no. I still have so much to do. I guess deciding at the last minute to take this cruise was not perfect. Oh well at least we are going!

Great ideas! I am an obsessive planner as well. Because this is such a port intensive trip and DD (8) will be going on some very mature port adventures, I have been putting together games to keep her engaged. We have Bingo in Villefranche where she has to mark off the places as we visit them and she gets a small prize when she Bingos and then another when she clears her board. We are doing Florence on Your Own and trekking off to the Uffizi. I found the Uffizi gallery page on line and they list the paintings by room. I chose 1 or 2 paintings from each room, copied the image and printed them on small pocket-sized cards on a ring. As we enter each room, I give her a card and she has to find the painting. When she shows me the painting, I will give her a small monetary gift to put in a little pouch and she gets to add the card to a ring that she will be wearing. At the end of the museum visit, she can use that money in the gift shop. Now to come up with fun games for the rest of the ports. :)

I love these ideas you have to engange your DD! Our boys were 9 and 11 when we went to the Med in 2007. The older one had just finished 5th grade and had tons of field trip experience under his belt, but the younger one had just finished 3rd grade wnd while he had some field trip experience, in our district 4th and 5th grade are the field-trip-intensive grades. I could tell a big difference between the two in how they handled the tours. As the younger one got older, we were able to see how that field trip experience in school made a difference in his attentiveness (and yeah, I realize that normal aging / maturing helps, too).

Anyway, I love your ideas - you should be sure to share how them on the main Cruise board so that the people that are planning for 2014 can start thinking of similar things. I've seen some posts from people wondering if their chidlren are too young - and some are right around age 8.

I would advise you to purchase your tickets to the Uffizi gallery ahead of time because the line goes down the block for same day viewings. Also we had taken "adult" type excursions with our youngsters in the past and our guides were very nice and inclusive with the young kids. Florence is about an hour drive from port as well as Rome so I found that the kids seem to gather together on the bus and keep each other entertained. Off the highway going to Florence you can see giant marble quarries where they mine famous marble used throughout the world.:)

Absolutely. We are purchasing our Uffizi tickets next week. I don't want to waste two hours standing in line just to get into the place!

I love these ideas you have to engange your DD! Our boys were 9 and 11 when we went to the Med in 2007. The older one had just finished 5th grade and had tons of field trip experience under his belt, but the younger one had just finished 3rd grade wnd while he had some field trip experience, in our district 4th and 5th grade are the field-trip-intensive grades. I could tell a big difference between the two in how they handled the tours. As the younger one got older, we were able to see how that field trip experience in school made a difference in his attentiveness (and yeah, I realize that normal aging / maturing helps, too).

Anyway, I love your ideas - you should be sure to share how them on the main Cruise board so that the people that are planning for 2014 can start thinking of similar things. I've seen some posts from people wondering if their chidlren are too young - and some are right around age 8.

Thanks! It's the former teacher in me. DD is deaf and very visual. She is most comfortable when she knows exactly what to expect and most importantly, when she can anticipate being back on the Mickey boat. DH was so impressed that he asked me to make a set of the activities for him as well. Everyone will be sufficiently entertained and mom will be free to take pictures:) A perfect win-win.

Booked a Rome tour through Rome in Limo.

They just told me that the Vatican is free on the day we are there (June 30) and no way to pre-book tickets. They are expecting very long lines.

I'm now debating the need for a Vatican guide if its likely I won't get inside!!

Booked a Rome tour through Rome in Limo.

They just told me that the Vatican is free on the day we are there (June 30) and no way to pre-book tickets. They are expecting very long lines.

I'm now debating the need for a Vatican guide if its likely I won't get inside!!

Yeah, you're VERY unlikely to get in and be able to see other parts of Rome. This is why DCL offered the exclusive Vatican tours for our cruise. IMO, they're going to be the only way you'll be able to see anything that day. I know a lot of people here on the thread booked them, we're forgoing the Vatican this trip, we saw it in 2010.

So... We are in for the exclusive Vatican now -yay!

Now I may just have to follow one of my fellow DISers around for the 4 hours of leisure time. New research begins for me on getting from St. Peter's Square to EVERYWHERE!!! ;-)

You all are just so full (and willing to share) so much information!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter