June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

I also saw somewhere that the air modification form needed to be filled out 60 days prior to the cruise - how would I know if I need to modify something if I don't know what the flights look like yet? Doesn't it make more sense to see how the flights are assigned and then fill out the modification form?:confused3

Disney FAQ Section:
Question: What is the Flight Modification Form and how do I complete it?
Answer: This optional form allows Guests who have booked their flights through Disney Cruise Line to request such changes as airline, non-stop flights, different class of service and more. Simply fill in the fields on this form and select the "Submit" button. You will be taken to a Confirmation Page, where you can edit the form or print it for your records. You must submit the form at least 60 days prior to your sail date. A Disney Travel representative will contact you within 48 hours.
That's the thing, unless you WANT more input into flights and times you have to pay the deviation fee, which gives you the ability to pick your flights. If you don't pay that fee, then you're stuck with DCL gives you and there is no changing at that point since you didn't pay the fee prior to 60 days. Decide if you want to pay the fee and contact DCL or your TA to find out how much that is..... Basically DCL will put you on the cheapest flights they can find as long as it will get you to the ship on time. If you want to arrive a day early or depart a day late, you need to pay the fee or book rooms through DCL. This is one of the reasons, we always book our own air, as it usually is much cheaper than DCL's prices and I control timing and seat assignments......

I don't mind friendly talk. Everyone has a favorite team.
Ours is the Mets:thumbsup2

Does anybody know if we will need to bring our passports off the ship each time we go on an excursion? I was hoping we wouldn't have to do that?:confused3
No need, especially if your excursions are with DCL.
However, we do all our excursions either on our own or with a private company so I feel better if I have our passports with us. That way if we miss the ship we can get to the next port more easily.

We are from Long Island, NY and this will be our second Disney Cruise
I'm from Huntington Long Island and my DH Darren is from Westchester.

So...

We are thinking of doing Dubrovnik on our own.... Cab to the city wall entrance and cafe, lunch, walking tour.
:thumbsup2 Us too.
Not sure if I will skip walking the walls in favor of shopping:rolleyes1
Depends how hot it is that day:confused3

Also, although I have been on a Disney Cruise before...

I have NEVER heard of a Fish Extender until I started lurking here.:confused3

I love the concept, and we are listed as UNDECIDED for now.
It is a lot of fun. Something one of the Disers came up with, I think back in 2005 on a Panama canal cruise.
With the number of people joining being relatively low it doesn't take long to deliver your gifts. I swore after my last cruise that I would not do it again if the number was high (above 50 cabins) as it took much longer than I wanted to spend delivering things:headache:
But the number for this cruise is low and your kids will love this!

I noticed lots of highly decorated cabin doors on our Dream cruise and really had no concept of what was going on. I just thought these were really enthusiastic Cruisers.

It seems that Disney Cruisers (although its the only Cruise Line I've ever been on) have a culture all their own.
:thumbsup2
The door decorating also makes it so much easier to spot your door in the long hallway of white doors. The signs have to be magnetic though, no tape.
Also don't put a magnet that isn't easily replaceable because sometimes they walk away :rolleyes:

Since I've ONLY been on the Dream. I was really happy to hear about your positive spin regarding the Magic. I've been pretty worried that my family would be comparing it to the Dream and be disappointed.

The Magic cruised out of NY for most of the Fall and late Summer last year. I had a friend that took her family and she wasn't very optimistic or enthusiastic for me when I told her we booked it for the Mediterranean.
I would make sure your kids know in advance that certain things won't be available on the Magic...the aquaduck, the midship detective agency, the moving pictures, the vista café, kid's clubs will be different, etc.
But this trip is SO port intensive that they will be tired from the excursions each day anyway. This trip is more about the ports than it is about the ship.

We originally booked this cruise as a BIG 4-0 birthday gift to me (my Birthday was in March).

But, as I was speaking to our TA, we realized that my birthday is the least of our celebrations.

DH's birthday is on our actual sail date: June 27
Our wedding anniversary is June 29

and one week before sailing DD (10) graduates from Elementary School - 5th grade!!

My birthday has now gotten completely lost in the shuffle:rotfl2:
yeah that seems to happen to my birthday too:confused3
Also in March:thumbsup2
But I turn 50 next year:woohoo:
Thinking I might be going back next year with just my DH for a Rome/Florence/Venice land vacation in March...
Really want to visit Ireland but March isn't the best time of year to visit so thinking of saving that for another trip.

Hooray!!:cheer2:

This is my 10th post!! I can stop bombarding you nice people with nonsensical or even noninteresting facts about our family!!

We will be staying at the Hilton Diagonal Mar for the pre-cruise and the Hilton Barcelona for the post-cruise.

Anyone else checking in at the Hilton Diagonal Mar? We didn't book a Barcelona excursion, we were hoping to 'hoof' it ourselves.

That Mickey D's sounds like a real winner:thumbsup2
Glad you went the route of posting info so we got to know you a little:thumbsup2

If you want to be daring, head down Las Ramblas, go past Le Meridien and on the opposite side of Las Ramblas from Le Meridien past the Food Market there is a restaurant that serves the BEST paella. We got one with just chicken and rice and the kids LOVED IT!!! I forgot the name of the place, but it truly was awesome.
Sounds great:thumbsup2
I noticed most people don't remember the names of the restaurants they visit on vacation:confused3
We went to Paris last summer and none of my siblings could remember where they ate on their visits:headache:
At least you have the location, they didn't even have that.
And, I'm just as bad:sad2: I'd maybe able to find the names of one or two places, if I looked at my emails :blush:
I did take a photo of the place we had lunch in Berlin so I have a fighting chance of finding it again.

We will be in BCN for 5 days so we will try and find it. Others we like are Artisa and Forns del Pi. They are located near Las Ramblas.

:worship::worship:
So how do you remember the names:confused3
Must write these down now:woohoo:

That's the thing, unless you WANT more input into flights and times you have to pay the deviation fee, which gives you the ability to pick your flights. If you don't pay that fee, then you're stuck with DCL gives you and there is no changing at that point since you didn't pay the fee prior to 60 days. Decide if you want to pay the fee and contact DCL or your TA to find out how much that is..... Basically DCL will put you on the cheapest flights they can find as long as it will get you to the ship on time. If you want to arrive a day early or depart a day late, you need to pay the fee or book rooms through DCL. This is one of the reasons, we always book our own air, as it usually is much cheaper than DCL's prices and I control timing and seat assignments......

I'm still scratching my head over this one as it doesn't seem to go with the Disney friendliness that they usually pride themselves on. Although, maybe it makes sense based on flight change fees dictated by the airlines. Once they send the flight details to me, the flight is essentially already booked and changing it costs money. Thanks - I think I figured it out! :thumbsup2

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!

I hadn't thought about the HOHO bust ours in BCN. We also get into BCN on June 26th in the early AM so hoping the room will be ready too!:woohoo:

I found this website with what seems like the perfect one day self guided tour (coming from someone who has never been to BCN):

http://promptguides.com/barcelona/guides/one_day_guide.htm

I figured that whatever we missed on this day, we could pick up the day we return post-cruise.

I really think the Magic fountains seem fab
Looks great:thumbsup2
Thanks for sharing.
I never get tired of reading about this trip:laughing:

Cindy - how are you doing the Magic Fountains?
Never mind you are doing the cruise before this aren't you?
I keep forgetting too :blush:
And it isn't like she has 2 tickers in her signature :rolleyes1

Hi All!

I know I read this somewhere either on the forum or FB but what are the receommendations for a private airport transfer to the hotel in Barcelona?

Any help is great.

Thanks.

I had originally booked a minivan with Sun Transfers as the price was great, but they emailed me months after I had booked stating that they had changed the reservation to a 4 person sedan:headache:
Even though I paid for a minivan.
Realized that according to their contract they are able to do that.
But we don't want to be crammed into a sedan with all our luggage and decided to cancel and go with a taxi.
I've heard good things about the airport taxis and as long as we are off the ship early we shouldn't have a problem making our flight:confused3

Not a problem getting a taxi from the airport to the hotel when we arrive, but a little worried about getting a taxi at the port when we disembark. Worse case scenario we'll grab a regular taxi at the port and cram everything into it as that is what we would have been stuck with anyway with Sun Transfers:confused3

Found out today one of our connecting flights got canceled :confused3 Now we have to find a new flight, possible extending our pre cruise time. Hopefully we can find a new one :)

I noticed most people don't remember the names of the restaurants they visit on vacation:confused3
We went to Paris last summer and none of my siblings could remember where they ate on their visits:headache:
And, I'm just as bad:sad2: I'd maybe able to find the names of one or two places, if I looked at my emails :blush:
I did take a photo of the place we had lunch in Berlin so I have a fighting chance of finding it again.
You're giving me WAY too much credit. I probably couldn't find it if you hold a gun to my head........:upsidedow:upsidedow:upsidedow

I'm still scratching my head over this one as it doesn't seem to go with the Disney friendliness that they usually pride themselves on. Although, maybe it makes sense based on flight change fees dictated by the airlines. Once they send the flight details to me, the flight is essentially already booked and changing it costs money. Thanks - I think I figured it out! :thumbsup2
It's the DCL has always been with their air. It's the same with all cruise airfare. You get absolutely no input into the flights they choose, without paying an additional fee. Since they search for the cheapest air for the dates you need, allowing them maximum profit. If you want any input at all, like seat selection, airlines, certain times, etc you need to pay the additional fee.

BTW, I just saw in the terms and conditions of DCL, they list the for air purchased through them that when you're 89 to 45 days out, only 50% of the air is refundable, once you hit the 44 day mark none of it is refundable. So I'd call your TA or DCL if you want to add air deviation NOW, as we're within 90 days now.....
link

BTW, I just saw in the terms and conditions of DCL, they list the for air purchased through them that when you're 89 to 45 days out, only 50% of the air is refundable, once you hit the 44 day mark none of it is refundable. So I'd call your TA or DCL if you want to add air deviation NOW, as we're within 90 days now.....

Thanks! Good thing I won't be cancelling the flights, just trying to make sure I'm on a certain airline so I can build frequent flyer miles. The strange thing is that the flight modification form does not exist in my online check-in area. I tried calling the number they provide, but I just missed their operating hours for today. I'll have to try tomorrow.:)

Tripadvisor! Have them in my saved group. It's on my phone and Ipad so I have a map and all the names of where we want to go. The restuarants are more like cafes, serving breakfast and lite lunches and dinner. Can't remember if they are both open for dinner.

Thanks! Good thing I won't be cancelling the flights, just trying to make sure I'm on a certain airline so I can build frequent flyer miles. The strange thing is that the flight modification form does not exist in my online check-in area. I tried calling the number they provide, but I just missed their operating hours for today. I'll have to try tomorrow.:)

.....and insist on seats that are together or close and NOT THE LAST ROW!!! First time we went through DCL airfare I was stuck with the last row that does not recline.:sad: At least my family were in the next row up and could recline. Have them pick you good seats.....they do purchase the least expensive seats available

Thank you for all your help with my questions. Has anyone ever used Viator to book port tours? We have been unable to book through DCL the Murano and Burano tour and I really wanted to go. Any thoughts?

Thank you for all your help with my questions. Has anyone ever used Viator to book port tours? We have been unable to book through DCL the Murano and Burano tour and I really wanted to go. Any thoughts?

I never have, but my mother in law has used them their past two cruise with more tours selected for their upcoming Baltic cruise this June. They love Viator.

Hello all,

Got a call from DCL this afternoon, they cancelled our port adventure in Rome. We were booked on the Angels and Demons tour, but DCL said the tour operator cancelled it. It is so odd, it is the 4th time we have booked this tour (on various cruise lines) and the 4th time it was cancelled. I guess we are the only ones who ever book it.:confused:

.....and insist on seats that are together or close and NOT THE LAST ROW!!! First time we went through DCL airfare I was stuck with the last row that does not recline.:sad: At least my family were in the next row up and could recline. Have them pick you good seats.....they do purchase the least expensive seats available

Have them give you your confirmation number and seat assignments and depending on your airline, you can choose different seats in your class if they are available. At least that has been the case for us.

Hello all,

Got a call from DCL this afternoon, they cancelled our port adventure in Rome. We were booked on the Angels and Demons tour, but DCL said the tour operator cancelled it. It is so odd, it is the 4th time we have booked this tour (on various cruise lines) and the 4th time it was cancelled. I guess we are the only ones who ever book it.:confused:

That stinks.

Ours is the Mets:thumbsup2

No need, especially if your excursions are with DCL.
However, we do all our excursions either on our own or with a private company so I feel better if I have our passports with us. That way if we miss the ship we can get to the next port more easily.

I'm from Huntington Long Island and my DH Darren is from Westchester.

:thumbsup2 Us too.
Not sure if I will skip walking the walls in favor of shopping:rolleyes1
Depends how hot it is that day:confused3

It is a lot of fun. Something one of the Disers came up with, I think back in 2005 on a Panama canal cruise.
With the number of people joining being relatively low it doesn't take long to deliver your gifts. I swore after my last cruise that I would not do it again if the number was high (above 50 cabins) as it took much longer than I wanted to spend delivering things:headache:
But the number for this cruise is low and your kids will love this!

The door decorating also makes it so much easier to spot your door in the long hallway of white doors. The signs have to be magnetic though, no tape.
Also don't put a magnet that isn't easily replaceable because sometimes they walk away :rolleyes:

I would make sure your kids know in advance that certain things won't be available on the Magic...the aquaduck, the midship detective agency, the moving pictures, the vista café, kid's clubs will be different, etc.
But this trip is SO port intensive that they will be tired from the excursions each day anyway. This trip is more about the ports than it is about the ship.

yeah that seems to happen to my birthday too:confused3
Also in March:thumbsup2
But I turn 50 next year:woohoo:
Thinking I might be going back next year with just my DH for a Rome/Florence/Venice land vacation in March...
Really want to visit Ireland but March isn't the best time of year to visit so thinking of saving that for another trip.

Glad you went the route of posting info so we got to know you a little:thumbsup2

I keep looking for the 'like' button here. Scooby!!! You definitely made me LOL!!! Looking forward to our "meet up"!!

Found out today one of our connecting flights got canceled :confused3 Now we have to find a new flight, possible extending our pre cruise time. Hopefully we can find a new one :)
Hope you find something new that works well for you.
I worry about this happening all the time. We keep getting emails that our flights have changed but so far it is just the times and our layover just keeps getting longer and longer.

You're giving me WAY too much credit. I probably couldn't find it if you hold a gun to my head........:upsidedow:upsidedow:upsidedow
Really? It sounded like you knew where it was :laughing:
If you bump into it on this trip take a picture!!

Tripadvisor! Have them in my saved group. It's on my phone and Ipad so I have a map and all the names of where we want to go. The restuarants are more like cafes, serving breakfast and lite lunches and dinner. Can't remember if they are both open for dinner.
:thumbsup2 smart
We have dinner covered as we are doing a Tapas tour the first night where the guide gives you recommendations for the next night based on what you liked on his tour.
But we will be looking for a place to eat lunch as soon as we arrive.

I've heard good things about Viator but never used them.

Hello all,

Bummer :headache:

I keep looking for the 'like' button here. Scooby!!! You definitely made me LOL!!! Looking forward to our "meet up"!!

It's that Long Island sense of humor:cool1:

Who has a door magnet for this cruise? Would you like to share?
We love our door magnets...
Thanks
only 70 more days until we leave for Madrid :cool1::thumbsup2

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to mention that the Fish Extender sign-up ends tomorrow, so if you haven't signed up and want to, please do. If you're signed up and don't want to, then please change to No. And if you're undecided, please change to Yes or No accordingly.

Here's the link:

Group Spreadsheet.

Right now we have 20 families signed up, so it's still a manageable group.

There are the Undecideds:
lmcarr (I think you're also listed on the spreadsheet as lisamcarr)
dorothyn
redcoral33
dakridge
teerama
klar
friedrich2010

Thanks so much!

Who has a door magnet for this cruise? Would you like to share?
We love our door magnets...
Thanks
only 70 more days until we leave for Madrid :cool1::thumbsup2

We have some Door Magnets that we've used in the past that we'll be bringing. I was debating about whether to make some new ones or not but I think I'll run out of time so we'll just go with what we already have.

In the past, some of the FE gifts we have received have been door magnets specifically for the itinerary - so that's been fun to have those additions to our door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter