• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 27, 2013 - Magic in the Med (Venice)

Pompeii: Back from the dead is on the Military Channel tonight. It will be on again on the 15th at 11AM.

I posted this over on the June 15th thread as well, so my apologies to those who see it twice.

Our travel plans will have us driving from home to Atlanta the day before our flight to BCN. My brother lives in the ATL area so what we have typically done is meet him and have him keep our car for us while we are gone. Because we will be gone for a month this time, that's a long time for him to have our car parked at his house - and his driveway is such that it makes it harder for him to get around with the extra car in the way. Because the day we fly out is also his birthday, we planned to just stay at a hotel near the airport rather than staying with him so he wouldn't have to go out of his way and miss part of his work day to haul us around.

Anyway, I had looked at one-way rentals for a vehicle to take and come back. When I checked, we could get a good rate on a one way from home to ATL, but from ATL back home was nearly 4 times as much - yikes - put it out of my price range. But today when I was thinking that I needed to confirm with my brother about our plans, I decided to check again and found that the return rate is nearly the same rate as the going rate, so I went ahead and made reservations for one-way rental vehicle to get us to the airport in June and another one to get us home in July.

We are staying at a hotel not too far from the airport that has a shuttle service, so our plan is to check in the hotel, meet my brother for dinner, and then return the rental car and take the shuttle back to the hotel. Then take the shuttle from the hotel to the airport on the 12th when we fly out. Then when we get home, we'll pick up the rental car and then spend the night at my brother's house before driving home the next day.

This will keep our car in our garage, out of the sun and other weather elements while we are gone. And we don't have to pay for parking at the airport, etc., and no inconvenience to my brother (see what a good sister I am?!) This is the longest vacation we've ever taken.

::yes:: You are indeed a good sister !! :woohoo:

We are trying to figure out the best thing to do for our dog:sad2:
DH doesn't feel comfortable with having someone stay in our house and our dog didn't eat for 3 days when we took her to his Mom's house for Thanksgiving. There is someone we usually pay to leave her with, but it gets expensive for these long trips.
Most family live a distance away, and not easy to get them to take 2 weeks off to come to our place and watch our dog:sad2:

We have friends who hired the daughter of some friends. She was also a classmate of their son so they felt comfortable with her coming and going from their house and if there was any problem, her parents were available to help. The girl was a college student, had a part-time job for the summer but could be at the house enough to meet the dog's needs.

Some of the folks on the Greece cruise are talking about going to the Magic Fountain in Barcelona. I didn't know what it was so I looked it up. Here's the link for those like me who didn't know what it was. We may have to figure that into our time in BCN - probably at the end of the trip rather than the beginning. If we do, if there's anyone else staying over after the cruise for a night in BCN that wants to join us, we'd be glad to do that. We can work out arrangements later.

Is the fountain only turned on at night? :confused3

For renting an apartment I was given access to a bunch of coupons. I will be happy to make copies and mail them off to anyone who wants one.

The most interesting are 1 euro off Casa Batllo, 2nd day free with by bus with Barcelona City Tour, One hour free with Go car, 10% off Segway tour, 5euro off taxi transfers from Barcelona center to El Prat airport, and a bunch for bike tours.

:thumbsup2
Venice was the reason we jumped on this trip. Been dreaming about visiting Venice for so long:goodvibes

:rotfl2: See I have to watch what my DH is packing...one of our first pics on our honeymoon he is wearing his Ren and Stimpy shirt:upsidedow

Luckily we are only a few miles from Dulles so it is a quick cab ride there. When are you flying out? We are on the red eye for the 24th.

LOL that's why he lays out the clothes, so I can edit out the shirts with stains and holes. We are on Iceland Air which leaves at 8PM on the 21st. It has a long layover in Iceland, in which we plan to go to the Blue Grotto. I figure 6 hours in a geo-thermal spa will be just the ticket between two long flights.

Looks like the cheapest way to the airport is a one way car rental from BWI to IAD. $40 vs about $150 to be driven down. Then hopefully, family can give us a ride back.

The water show is only at night. It doesn't work on Mondays, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Leaves us out again!

I expected the light show to only be at night, but not the water too. I expected the water to go off all day, like a fountain if not as a water show. But when I did a mapquest to find it, the satellite picture looks DRY. If it is not showing when we are there one night before the embarkation, it is one less thing I have to worry about.

I will concentrate on my hike to Sagrada (1.5 miles or less from the Renaissance) and perhaps a walk-by of Casa Mila and Casa Batillo (2 and 5 blocks from Renaissance.)

Did anyone notice that we have a roof-top pool on our hotel? ::yes::

Jan

LOL that's why he lays out the clothes, so I can edit out the shirts with stains and holes. We are on Iceland Air which leaves at 8PM on the 21st. It has a long layover in Iceland, in which we plan to go to the Blue Grotto. I figure 6 hours in a geo-thermal spa will be just the ticket between two long flights.

Looks like the cheapest way to the airport is a one way car rental from BWI to IAD. $40 vs about $150 to be driven down. Then hopefully, family can give us a ride back.

:rotfl: DH lays out his clothes so I can coordinate my clothing. We are "disgustingly :rotfl2: cute' and wear coordinating or matching shirts on most days of our vacations and weekends.

I also pack more compactly which is good when paying for luggage on the way to a trip but not good on the way back since we buy things..... :rolleyes1

Tonight's the night - finally I get to book excursions!

Yay! Us, too. Although I think I'll probably go to sleep early and set an alarm to get up at 11:55 PM. I'm already ready for a nap - no way will I be able to stay up til midnight without some rest between now and then.

We have four excursions we want to book, no spa, no Palo, so it should be short and sweet.

Florence and Michelangelo
Bracciano Lake and Wine Tasting
Pompeii Half Day
Murano Glass and Burano Lace

Hopefully we'll be able to get all four of them. The most important is the Florence one.

Besides the brief moment of panic when I logged into my reservation tonight and it said "Pay in Full before you book cruise activities", it went ok - I was able to get the four we wanted. Good night - and good luck to those still booking.

I had a moment of wondering if it was going to load or not, but it finally did. It was slow going, but I slogged through it successfully.

LOL - I titled this post WAKE UP EVERYONE because if the rest of you golds are as tired as I am this morning. we need to Wake Up! I'm tired this morning but so glad we go the excursions booked. We'll do our online check in some time today.

LOL - I titled this post WAKE UP EVERYONE because if the rest of you golds are as tired as I am this morning. we need to Wake Up! I'm tired this morning but so glad we go the excursions booked. We'll do our online check in some time today.

Good luck, last time I checked the site was down.....

Thanks!!!! I just set my DVR to record it! My DD8 is really fascinated with Pompeii!

DS (now 12) was 9 when we went in 2010, was also fascinated with Pompeii and demanded that we go there. We went for him and all he did was COMPLAIN while we were there. It was so HOT and a LOT of walking that he didn't enjoy it at all....We are not going back this time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter