• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 17 Wonder to Alaska

Just did some quick searching.

You guys probably already noticed, but we'll be in the Tracy Arm on the longest day of the year. I think that's pretty cool. With the sun coming up around 3 in the morning (2 if they make us set our clocks back) that's lots of good time to watch the scenery.

Anyone have any idea how long we're there? I booked Palo for dinner that night, but I'm wondering if I should save it for a different night.

That's so cool! What a great day to do Tracy Arm!

Yay! Welcome new members! I'm so glad our little thread is growing. :lovestruc

We are flying into Vancouver a couple days before we debark. Hoping to at least take the kids to see Stanley Park.

I'm starting to worry more about what to pack than excursions at this point. Since we are coming from So Cal, I'm not even sure how cold it's going to be in June...

Wow, I'm away for a week and the thread has exploded! It's getting real now :thumbsup2

Well, we just booked this cruise today!! First time in Alaska for our family. It will be myself, DW, DD(12) and DS(10) and my parents. This meet thread is so quiet, anyone have any advice for cruising Alaska?

DH and I went in 2011 and it was amazing....check out the pre-TR link in my signature. I reviewed the excursions we did last time, talked about what we packed (and what we didn't need) and more. I'm by no means an Alaska expert but you can ask me anything and I'll try to answer!
We're going again this year for my Dad's 60th birthday. It was his present to himself, and we are going along for "moral support" - yeah, that's it ;)

Just saying "hi". My family and I are going on our first-ever cruise and are looking forward to the sights of Alaska. It will be myself (Aaron), DW (Jodi), DD10, DD6, and a friend of the family that does double-duty as a babysitter.

We booked this cruise last May and I'm very excited to be able to start booking the excursions tonight! (Cat 00S, so we get 120 days)

We plan to do the WPYR train in Skagway, Taku Lodge in Juneau and shopping and lumberjacks in Ketchikan.

We'll be on the train too, and shopping in the big K - welcome!

Welcome new members! We are a pretty quiet bunch! Maybe that will change as it gets closer.

I'm having such a tough time deciding what to do as far as excursions go!

It's pretty overwhelming....but when you look, so many things are similar or even almost identical. I think it just gums up the works. I felt last time, like you, that Juneau had everything I wanted to do and the other ports were just "eh". I could have spent three days in Juneau and still not have done everything I wanted to do. And this year, well, we booked the same tour we did last year :rotfl2: BUT it was amazing, and it's what my parents want to do.

There are also many independent excursions out there.....not to throw more at you at this point lol but I heard great things about Harv and Marv. There are also whale watching trips from Vancouver if you're planning to spend some time there. Don't know much about them, but I saw the ads when we were there in 2011. Might be an option if you want to see whales but want to do something else in Juneau.

Good luck!

Just did some quick searching.

You guys probably already noticed, but we'll be in the Tracy Arm on the longest day of the year. I think that's pretty cool. With the sun coming up around 3 in the morning (2 if they make us set our clocks back) that's lots of good time to watch the scenery.

Anyone have any idea how long we're there? I booked Palo for dinner that night, but I'm wondering if I should save it for a different night.

I think you could safely do Palo that night. If I remember correctly, we did brunch that day and had plenty of time to stake out some balcony space before Tracy Arm. The trip in is beautiful, but I'd say we only spent maybe an hour, maybe a little more, near the glacier itself? We had early dinner and there was no rush to get ready, we were out of the area by then.

I am starting to get really excited....June will be here before we know it!

Hi! Getting very excited about the cruise. Headed to Wilderness Lodge in a couple of weeks first, but can't stop analyzing all the excursions in anticipation for being able to book. This is our 2nd Disney Cruise. The first was a four day on the Dream. We are cruising with a big family group. My husband, Daughters Izzi (7) and Olivia (5), and alot of my husband's family, 15 in all. Can't wait to share an exciting trip with all of you!!

Michele

P.S. Also looking forward to trying fish extenders, didn't find out about it till after our first cruise.

Hi! Getting very excited about the cruise. Headed to Wilderness Lodge in a couple of weeks first, but can't stop analyzing all the excursions in anticipation for being able to book. This is our 2nd Disney Cruise. The first was a four day on the Dream. We are cruising with a big family group. My husband, Daughters Izzi (7) and Olivia (5), and alot of my husband's family, 15 in all. Can't wait to share an exciting trip with all of you!!

Michele

P.S. Also looking forward to trying fish extenders, didn't find out about it till after our first cruise.

I have an Izzy too! But she's only 3 :)
Welcome!

Jewell24 said:

Michele

Welcome :)
Lucky you heading to Wilderness Lodge, that's our fave resort
Travelling with a group of 15 is going to be lots of fun !

I'm thinking about booking this cruise. Is everyone flying into Vancouver? It's a lot cheaper to fly to Seattle and drive there but I'm wondering how much trouble that is. Anyone have some good advice/experience with this?
Hi there we are doing the same flying into Seattle and renting a car to drive into Vancouver. The plane tickets were half the price not to mention I was told since we are driving into Canada instead of flying into Canada the kids don't need passports. We just need to provide certified copies of their birth certificates which saves some $$.

Hi there we are doing the same flying into Seattle and renting a car to drive into Vancouver. The plane tickets were half the price not to mention I was told since we are driving into Canada instead of flying into Canada the kids don't need passports. We just need to provide certified copies of their birth certificates which saves some $$.

Be sure to check with Disney as well, they may require a passport for the kiddos. Hopefully not but just in case!

Hi all

Can anyone who is able to book excursions and such already take a look and see what night Pirate night is?

I know that when your booking window opens you can usually view the full weeks schedule

We are silver so have a while to wait before we can access that info

TIA :)

Can anyone who is able to book excursions and such already take a look and see what night Pirate night is?

I know that when your booking window opens you can usually view the full weeks schedule

Where does one look for that? I've already booked my excursions and don't see any reference to Pirate Night (or any other schedule stuff, like Formal night, etc.)

I've been assuming it'll be on the day we pull out of Juneau as that seems like when they've done it in previous years.

Where does one look for that? I've already booked my excursions and don't see any reference to Pirate Night (or any other schedule stuff, like Formal night, etc.)

I've been assuming it'll be on the day we pull out of Juneau as that seems like when they've done it in previous years.

I seem to remember on both of my previous cruises you could log on to your booking, and click "my cruise activities" and you would see your day by day itinerary
Listed at the bottom of one of the days would be "pirate night"

How was availability looking for excursions/Palo etc?

I'm dying to book ours :thumbsup2

I seem to remember on both of my previous cruises you could log on to your booking, and click "my cruise activities" and you would see your day by day itinerary
Listed at the bottom of one of the days would be "pirate night"

How was availability looking for excursions/Palo etc?

I'm dying to book ours :thumbsup2

Don't see it on the list. I'll try to post a screen shot in about 30 minutes when I have a little more time to figure out how to do that. Maybe they changed the system? There's still some availability for Palo and the excursions look to mostly be available. I randomly checked Thursday, Friday, Saturday (6/20, 6/21, 6/22) for Palo and got a choice of 6pm or 7pm on all three.

In Juneau, the Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for a Day and the JU20 8HUMMER (whatever that is) are showing as sold out. Nothing showing as sold out in other ports.

Don't see it on the list. I'll try to post a screen shot in about 30 minutes when I have a little more time to figure out how to do that. Maybe they changed the system? There's still some availability for Palo and the excursions look to mostly be available. I randomly checked Thursday, Friday, Saturday (6/20, 6/21, 6/22) for Palo and got a choice of 6pm or 7pm on all three.

In Juneau, the Disney Exclusive Glacier Dog Musher for a Day and the JU20 8HUMMER (whatever that is) are showing as sold out. Nothing showing as sold out in other ports.

Here's the screen shot:

ScreenShot2013-02-27at92527AM_zps4b4ca6b9.png

Here's the screen shot:

ScreenShot2013-02-27at92527AM_zps4b4ca6b9.png

Thanks so much for posting this :goodvibes

Yep it was listed on this page at the bottom of each day (formal, pirates, semi formal etc) so it looks like they have changed it since I last cruised, or perhaps they will update closer to the sail date

I really, really want to get a Palo brunch so I am counting down the days until us Silver's can book ! :cool1:

Just saying hi! :wave:

We booked on opening day June 2014 to Alaska and I was really enjoying our Meet Thread and the folks going with us. I kept peaking over at the June 2013 rates and noticed they were the same and kept thinking - why don't we go this year? I've gone back and forth about this but once I felt comfortable that I understood the travelling, hotels, excursions, etc, I was ready to switch. My DH and I both have a parent that is not doing well (Dad was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and my mother in law has stage 3 breast cancer) so we aren't sure what next June holds for all of us. Life is so fragile as I'm sure many of you know.

SO - I did it! I moved our reservation to this year and we are joining you all! It will be me, DH, and DS (9) and we'll be flying in Sat before the cruise staying in Vancouver. I'm excited to check in in a couple weeks and I'm praying we get moved to early dining.

Look forward to talking to you guys before we leave in a few months! :cool1:

Heather

IBelieveInTheMagic said:
Just saying hi! :wave:

We booked on opening day June 2014 to Alaska and I was really enjoying our Meet Thread and the folks going with us. I kept peaking over at the June 2013 rates and noticed they were the same and kept thinking - why don't we go this year? I've gone back and forth about this but once I felt comfortable that I understood the travelling, hotels, excursions, etc, I was ready to switch. My DH and I both have a parent that is not doing well (Dad was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and my mother in law has stage 3 breast cancer) so we aren't sure what next June holds for all of us. Life is so fragile as I'm sure many of you know.

SO - I did it! I moved our reservation to this year and we are joining you all! It will be me, DH, and DS (9) and we'll be flying in Sat before the cruise staying in Vancouver. I'm excited to check in in a couple weeks and I'm praying we get moved to early dining.

Look forward to talking to you guys before we leave in a few months! :cool1:

Heather

Welcome!
It's lovely to have you along with us, I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful cruise :) and sounds like just the thing you and your family need at such a stressful time
Have fun planning and good luck with that early dining! :)

Just popping in to say hi. My DH (CoasterDadof2) already "introduced" our family. It's me, DH, DD 12, DS 10, and my inlaw's. This is our 4th DCL cruise. After this, we will have been on all 4 DCL ships. :goodvibes

My DD would love to be in touch with others before the cruise. Any other 12'ish tweens that would want to email with her ahead of time?

Is there a FE for this cruise? A fb group? It sure is quiet in here!

We are also flying into Seattle and renting a car. It saved a lot of money that way. Anyone have must-do things to recommend in Seattle and/or Vancouver for before/after the cruise?

What excursions is everyone doing?

I have two sons ages 13 and 10 and also a daughter who is 5. My boys would be excited to email with others that are going, so if you are interested, please pm me. My son is hoping to do the Teen Exclusive shore excursion in Juneau. Any others considering doing this?

As far as excursions go, we have all but the teen excursion already booked through private companies. With our son being 10, it was a lot cheaper to get the kids rate through the private companies. I'm super excited to have everything already planned out!

We are doing:
Skagway - Helicopter tour for a glacier walk-about (3 of us), Hike and float (2 people) and an Eagle float (2 people)
Juneau - Float Plane to Taku Lodge for feast (6 of us); Teen is doing the Teen Exclusive if there is room when it's time to book
Ketchikan - Bearing Sea (Deadliest Catch) Tour

That's awesome that you will have been on all 4 ships! Quite an accomplishment!

We are considering doing a whale watching tour in Vancouver. The only down side is that their whale guarantee only enables you to have a free tour next time. That doesn't really help us out since we don't plan on getting back to Vancouver any time soon. Hopefully I can find a company that gives you at least partial money back instead.

Just popping in to say hi. My DH (CoasterDadof2) already "introduced" our family. It's me, DH, DD 12, DS 10, and my inlaw's. This is our 4th DCL cruise. After this, we will have been on all 4 DCL ships. :goodvibes

My DD would love to be in touch with others before the cruise. Any other 12'ish tweens that would want to email with her ahead of time?

We are also flying into Seattle and renting a car. It saved a lot of money that way. Anyone have must-do things to recommend in Seattle and/or Vancouver for before/after the cruise?

Welcome!
It's lovely to have you along with us, I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful cruise :) and sounds like just the thing you and your family need at such a stressful time
Have fun planning and good luck with that early dining! :)
Thank you!! :goodvibes Yes, I'll need a break for sure and we are so excited that's it is so much closer! :cool1:

Hi! The Wonder will make my third DCL ship I've been on so we know we have to plan a trip on the Magic perhaps in 2015? :)

I'm glad you are saving $$ by flying into Seattle! We considered this option and would have used SWA (free points) however it just wasn't "big enough" for us to go through the extra traveling although I liked the idea of them seeing Seattle. I've been to Seattle a few times and it's a great city!

We are coming in Sat morning to Vancouver so the first day we'll stay local and just enjoy the area. On Sunday we are keeping our options open but might venture to the Olympic Cauldron and a few other areas - not 100% sure yet.

For excursions - the only one right now that I know we are doing with DCL will be the Skagway - White Pass Rail with the Yukon Suspension Bridge. By switching to this year, my DS is 9 so as others mentioned he won't be charged the higher adult fare that starts at 10. :sad2:

In Juneau we will do the Mt. Roberts tram on our own since I hear the weather can be iffy - we can just buy the tickets right there on our own. I'm also considering the Mendenhall Glacier on our own but not sure yet.

Ketchikan - nothing official planned except walking around on our own.

I still need to buy us water proof rain jackets! I thought we had a year to plan this but since I moved it up - I hope we find some!

Can't wait!! :cheer2:

Heather

Hi Everyone!
We will be on the Wonder for this cruise and are really excited about it. We've cruised several times before, but this is our first time on Disney.
We loved Disney World and Disneyland so I'm positive this is going to be awesome!
There will be the 2 of us, Roger & Marie and my DS who is 16 and my DD who will be 15 in May.
Looking forward to seeing everyone onboard. I am wondering if there will be a good number of teens on board. I'm hoping there are. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter