June 17 Wonder to Alaska

DillWaters said:
It's good and will be fun. But I wouldn't spend any money on or bring any pirate gear with you. Think California Coast cruises from a couple years ago. The night is re-themed for a certain Bay Area company that Disney owns.

Oh, and it will be the night we leave Juneau

Thanks Linda! I'll definitely get our Palo rez in first!

Dill Waters, that sounds like more fun than a pirate party to me! I had read pirate night was on Juneau day lady year. We will be sure not to book anything that night.

DillWaters said:
It's good and will be fun. But I wouldn't spend any money on or bring any pirate gear with you. Think California Coast cruises from a couple years ago. The night is re-themed for a certain Bay Area company that Disney owns.

Aha - I see
I wonder if this will be specific to our particular cruise?
June 21st - our Juneau day, is the official release day of a certain new film. DCL usually shows premiers so it looks like they might be making a night of it ...... I for one am very excited about this

Thank you! Only 94 days! We are super excited!! :cool1:

Welcome!!! I see you are from NC - we are too!! :thumbsup2 We both have long flight times from the East Coast but it's nothing to complain about - after all, we are going to Alaska!! What day are you guys flying in? We are leaving at the crack of dawn on 6/15 and therefore getting in 2 days early, directly into Vancouver. :banana:

Anybody else here in Concierge? If so, call up the shoreside concierge hotline and ask them what night is pirate night... See if you get the same interesting answer that I did. They actually made a point of asking me not to post it on DIS, otherwise I would. If someone else gets the same answer, maybe they won't be asked to keep it quiet.

I wish I was!! ;) Very interesting! Hmm......

Hi there!

We are new to Disney Cruise line. This will be DD7's first cruise! We can't wait and I am driving DH crazy with planning. :hyper2:

We are flying into Seattle on 6/13, then taking the train to Vancouver on the morning of 6/16.

So can you all tell me what to book first when my window opens: check-in time, Palo, spa or excursions?

We lean toward Palo Brunch and I am thinking of booking that day 2. I also am thinking of booking a Spa Villa the morning of Tracy Arm. That way I can see some lovely scenery during my alone time.

For excursions, the dog sled summer musher's camp on Skagway is a must do for us (I thought about White Pass but we have two train trips between Settle and Vancouver). In Juneau, we are going to book whale watching with the glacier. Ketchikan maybe nothing.

We have second seating - anyone else? I agonized over it, but we are all night owls. Plus I don't want to have to head back early and change. Anyone know which nights are not to be missed in the dining rooms? I still toy with a possible Palo dinner.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I'm Paula :wave2: my husband is Greg, and DD7 is Kate. I'll get around to making a siggie at some point.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome!!! I'd likely suggest any popular excursions first (if you have your heart set on any), Palo, then PAT (port arrival time). We are still on the fence about Palo and we'd do brunch so we'll see what shows available. We currently have second seating dining however it's not by choice. We are definitely early eaters (530pm at home) and with us being East Coasters our bodies will feel a little off since it will really be like 9pm if we can eat at 5pm so I hope we get switched. They have us listed as priority as I don't mind sharing - I wear an insulin pump (type 1) and for "medical reasons" too -it really helps to stay on schedule and have the early dining. It won't be the end of the world and it will not ruin our cruise since there is plenty of food, however for the experience we are praying for early dining. We know they don't usually do any confirmations until it gets close to sailing so we are being patient for now. I think people prefer each one for different reasons. The positive to the second seating is you don't have to rush back to the ship after excursions and get ready for dinner, just as you mentioned :)

Well - THAT doesn't give it away!! :lmao: We are huge Pixar fans so very interesting.....
Aha - I see
I wonder if this will be specific to our particular cruise?
June 21st - our Juneau day, is the official release day of a certain new film. DCL usually shows premiers so it looks like they might be making a night of it ...... I for one am very excited about this
I knew there was something I forgot to mention to you guys - that's it!! The premier of Monsters University on June 21st :dance3: Hmm...we would love something special and different (and please don't think I'm doubting anyone) but it seems they would want to promote this and make sure people don't bring "Piratey" items? We just might be in a for special treat - way cool!!! :banana:

Have a great weekend everyone and Monday night, midnight is getting closer!! :rotfl:

Ps. If for some reason if I'm jeopardizing any info (?) by putting names above about the special night (that I really know nothing about), please say and I'll edit the info out.

Heather

Have a great weekend everyone and Monday night, midnight is getting closer!! :rotfl:

Heather

Isn't it funny to think of us all logging on Monday night!

Spare a though for me when my alarm clock sounds at 3:45am in the UK :crazy2:

I've already warned DH about the strange noctunal habits of the over planning CC member he married ;)

Well - THAT doesn't give it away!! :lmao: We are huge Pixar fans so very interesting.....

I knew there was something I forgot to mention to you guys - that's it!! The premier of Monsters University on June 21st :dance3: Hmm...we would love something special and different (and please don't think I'm doubting anyone) but it seems they would want to promote this and make sure people don't bring "Piratey" items? We just might be in a for special treat - way cool!!! :banana:

Ps. If for some reason if I'm jeopardizing any info (?) by putting names above about the special night (that I really know nothing about), please say and I'll edit the info out.

Heather

That. Would. Be. AWESOME. I will keep my eyes and ears open! :cool1:

Just curious - are any of you all doing the Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles excursion in Ketchikan? It gets really great reviews but I haven't found hardly anyone that has done it. I'm on the fence about it. My DS really wants to do a gold mining excursion and I've read awesome reviews about the Lumberjack shows so I think *he* would get more out of those two (not necessarily in Ketchikan).

Perhaps when I see the times available LATE tonight it will help me decide.

It's still a priority to explore each city while we are there so I don't want to run out of time and feel rushed in port. Problems, right?? :rotfl:

C'mon midnight EST!! :)

Heather

Hooray - managed to get everything that we wanted to book and we are all checked in :)

It was worth getting up at 3:45 AM !!

Tons of availability on most things, including lots of Brunch slots

Hope everyone else gets what the they wanted

I was planning to go back to bed for a couple of hours but now I am buzzing !! :)

IBelieveInTheMagic said:
Just curious - are any of you all doing the Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles excursion in Ketchikan? It gets really great reviews but I haven't found hardly anyone that has done it. I'm on the fence about it. My DS really wants to do a gold mining excursion and I've read awesome reviews about the Lumberjack shows so I think *he* would get more out of those two (not necessarily in Ketchikan).

Perhaps when I see the times available LATE tonight it will help me decide.

It's still a priority to explore each city while we are there so I don't want to run out of time and feel rushed in port. Problems, right?? :rotfl:

C'mon midnight EST!! :)

Heather

I've also read good reviews of the Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles excursion - are you going to give it a try?
We've booked a tour independently for Ketchikan as there was nothing in the DCL options that quite fitted the bill for us and we are hoping to catch the Lumberjack show on Grouse Mountain before the cruise so hopefully that will be enough axe swinging, plaid shirted men for one vacation ;)
Let us all know how it goes

Hooray - managed to get everything that we wanted to book and we are all checked in :)

It was worth getting up at 3:45 AM !!

Tons of availability on most things, including lots of Brunch slots

Hope everyone else gets what the they wanted

I was planning to go back to bed for a couple of hours but now I am buzzing !! :)

Me too!! I was surprised so much was available - like every Palo slot. I put us down for the last sea day as I know by then my DS will be loving the kids club and we can have some adult time for brunch! :cheer2: I tossed and turned the rest of the night so barely probably got 3 hours sleep - I'm on my second cup of tea now! :upsidedow

I've also read good reviews of the Lighthouse, Totems and Eagles excursion - are you going to give it a try?
We've booked a tour independently for Ketchikan as there was nothing in the DCL options that quite fitted the bill for us and we are hoping to catch the Lumberjack show on Grouse Mountain before the cruise so hopefully that will be enough axe swinging, plaid shirted men for one vacation ;)
Let us all know how it goes
I asked my DH and DS and I know they'd really enjoy it after the fact, however they both seem to just want to hang out in port and sort of take it easy and not over schedule anything. I did confirm our White Rail Pass & Suspension Bridge tour at 715am in Skagway and then we'll do the Mt. Roberts tramway on our own in Juneau and then in Ketchikan I did pick the Exclusive Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. It sounds cheesy (love your description :rotfl:) but I read such favorable reviews. This is the one we are on the fence about so we'll see. I can cancel before we make the journey if needed. What else did you confirm? I'm glad you're happy too :)

For anyone else that would like for me to check times for the excursions or prices, etc, please let me know and I'd be glad to do so.

Heather

Congrats, you guys! That is really good news.

Heather, I like your thoughts about your DS being settled in the kds' club by the last day.

I have two weeks until I can book. Can you check the times on these three excursions:

Skagway - Dog Sled Musher's Camp

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching

Ketchikan - Lumberjack Show

What PAT did you get?

Here's the info. you requested:

Heather, I like your thoughts about your DS being settled in the kds' club by the last day.

I have two weeks until I can book. Can you check the times on these three excursions:

Skagway - Dog Sled Musher's Camp -
7:45 am
8:45 am
10:45 am
12:15 pm
2:45 pm
3:15 pm
3:45 pm

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching -
8:00 am
10:45 am

Ketchikan - Lumberjack Show - Disney Exclusive is at 2:45; Non Disney Exclusive is at 12:45

What PAT did you get?

Skagway - Dog Sled Musher's Camp

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching

Ketchikan - Lumberjack Show

What PAT did you get?

Thank you! I chose PAT 11:00-11:30 since we will be ready!! :cheer2:

Here's the info. you requested:

You were too fast for me!! LOL - my DCL page is taking forever and I was on the last one and saw your response pop up! Thanks for helping :goodvibes

Heather

IBelieveInTheMagic said:
Me too!! I was surprised so much was available - like every Palo slot. I put us down for the last sea day as I know by then my DS will be loving the kids club and we can have some adult time for brunch! :cheer2: I tossed and turned the rest of the night so barely probably got 3 hours sleep - I'm on my second cup of tea now! :upsidedow

I asked my DH and DS and I know they'd really enjoy it after the fact, however they both seem to just want to hang out in port and sort of take it easy and not over schedule anything. I did confirm our White Rail Pass & Suspension Bridge tour at 715am in Skagway and then we'll do the Mt. Roberts tramway on our own in Juneau and then in Ketchikan I did pick the Exclusive Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. It sounds cheesy (love your description :rotfl:) but I read such favorable reviews. This is the one we are on the fence about so we'll see. I can cancel before we make the journey if needed. What else did you confirm? I'm glad you're happy too :)

For anyone else that would like for me to check times for the excursions or prices, etc, please let me know and I'd be glad to do so.

Heather

Oh I'm so glad you got everything you wanted :)
We are doing the Palo brunch on the last sea day as well!
We're also on the 7:15am White Pass Train, but we are doing the Trail Camp on the way back down as we are going to be visiting the Capilano Suspension Bridge in Vancouver and we are trying not to double up with so many interesting things to choose from
We are going dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and I can't tell you how excited we are about that :)
And finally - an 11am PAT
My spreadsheet is nearly complete !!

Not sure if there are any Canadians sailing with us, however they just posted a special 25% of select sailings May 27 - June 17, (code CAN) which obviously includes are sailing!! OMG - I wish I could get 25% off what we paid so I wonder if they'd allow any of us that booked and PIF already to get some type of discount? I'm not complaining promise, as I know that's what DCL does to get more people on board but gosh, a little bit of a refund, anything would be nice!! :hyper: Technically we used our 10% OBB discount, but 15% off would be a nice chunk on our 7A!

I might just call Costco (to call DCL) and see what they say....

If anyone else does or finds out more info, please let me know and to any Canadians that might have booked with us, I'd hope you'd at least get something back if you called!

Heather

UPDATE: I just called - figured why not - and the answer was no. They will require proof of citizenship to qualify. I knew the chances were slim but also knew it'd make me nuts if I didn't at least try. Perhaps they will offer a KSF if this promo doesn't go well or others we *might* be able to apply later.

Oh I'm so glad you got everything you wanted :)
We are doing the Palo brunch on the last sea day as well!
We're also on the 7:15am White Pass Train, but we are doing the Trail Camp on the way back down as we are going to be visiting the Capilano Suspension Bridge in Vancouver and we are trying not to double up with so many interesting things to choose from
We are going dog sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau and I can't tell you how excited we are about that :)
And finally - an 11am PAT
My spreadsheet is nearly complete !!

We might just bump into you a few times then :) I'm still on the fence about visiting Mendenhall Glacier somehow, someway. I might do more research and see if there is an economical way just to walk around near the area for pictures of it in the background.

When are you guys arriving in Vancouver? We are coming in Sat around lunch so we hope to explore some as well. I was researching last night places to eat near the hotel and get some ideas because I've read and I've seen, it's quite expensive!

Heather

We might just bump into you a few times then :) I'm still on the fence about visiting Mendenhall Glacier somehow, someway. I might do more research and see if there is an economical way just to walk around near the area for pictures of it in the background.

When are you guys arriving in Vancouver? We are coming in Sat around lunch so we hope to explore some as well. I was researching last night places to eat near the hotel and get some ideas because I've read and I've seen, it's quite expensive!

Heather

I know that there is a bus that runs down to Mendenhall from the dock that's pretty inexpensive - might be worth looking into that
Trouble is there are so many amazing things to see and do that it's hard to narrow it down!
We arrive in Vancouver on the Thursday before the cruise, so we have four nights in the city to enjoy before we set sail :)
We are heading to Victoria one day ..... So exciting!!
Take a look at Trip Advisor and Urban Spoon for Vancouver restaurant reviews, there are plenty of inexpensive places that sound great, but then again I am so used to London prices I don't think they look too bad!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter