June 15 - June 22 2013 Eastern Fantasy

Hello, just joined DISBoard cruising for the 2nd time on Disney 1st time Eastern cruise. My 8yr son, is a little concerned he won't make any friends, so hoping I might finds some nice folks with kids his age he could meet up with there, give him something to look forward to. He's into yugioh, mindcraft, & legos.

I am a teacher too: English at a small university in South Carolina. No paper grading allowed on the ship! Best thing is that Internet is so expensive, I won't be able to teach an online class during vacation, so it will be a true rest.

The internet on the ship is not only expensive but sloooowww. The best you can do is check emails. So turn everything off and relax. We let the world know we are off the grid and deal with whatever happens until we get back.

Hello, just joined DISBoard cruising for the 2nd time on Disney 1st time Eastern cruise. My 8yr son, is a little concerned he won't make any friends, so hoping I might finds some nice folks with kids his age he could meet up with there, give him something to look forward to. He's into yugioh, mindcraft, & legos.

:welcome: aboard the Fathers Day Eastern Fantasy and DISboards. The ship will be full of boys your son age. The OC lab should be buzzing the entire cruise. Your son should have no problem making friends. My DD and DS are in the Edge and can't wait to go back. Also please feel free to join our FB page as well. The link is on the first post of this thread. If you have any questions regarding the Eastern itinerary please do not hesitate to ask.

Oh, he'll fit right in with my boys (6.5 & 9). Welcome to the boards! I just joined and am learning so much :)

I thought I noticed a lot of teachers in this group! I'm a high school Spanish Teacher in Pittsburgh. Let's pray there are no major blizzards with snow days to make up or half of our group will have to cancel:/

I teach Physical Education in Lancaster (K-2nd)! I am saving any personal days in case there is snow...I refuse to cancel for this cruise;)

We aren't allowed to use personal days during the last five instructional days in our district. We've only had one snow day, which the teachers will make up in about a week. However, as an administrator, my final day was June 12th. Now it's the 13th. Praying I can use my last personal day, so we can still leave on the 13th. We're driving from KY...also, it's our 15th wedding anniversary on the 13th. :)

There are many boys in that age group on this cruise. My DS will be 10 1/2 at cruise time, but he's a very young 10 1/2, and he is obsessed with LEGOs!

Thanks for the warm welcome, feeling better already. Will be following in the post to learn as much as possible while counting down the days:cool1:

There are many boys in that age group on this cruise. My DS will be 10 1/2 at cruise time, but he's a very young 10 1/2, and he is obsessed with LEGOs!

My boys are a bit older (currently 17, 15 and 10), but they still love their legos! When we were at Disneyland this past Christmas, I couldn't drag any of them out of the lego store.

The internet on the ship is not only expensive but sloooowww. The best you can do is check emails. So turn everything off and relax. We let the world know we are off the grid and deal with whatever happens until we get back.

:thumbsup2 This is one of the reasons I love cruising. I put the iphone in the safe and forget about it all week.

My son will be 7 1/2 by the time we cruise. He loves Legos as well. He spends a lot of his time playing Wii in the kids area. Being an only child, he will tend to play by himself but desperately wants friends on board. Maybe we can plan a coordinated time to drop off all the kids at the kids area.

My son will be 7 1/2 by the time we cruise. He loves Legos as well. He spends a lot of his time playing Wii in the kids area. Being an only child, he will tend to play by himself but desperately wants friends on board. Maybe we can plan a coordinated time to drop off all the kids at the kids area.

Hi, tluther5406! Are you just joining us, or have I been spacing out and missed an earlier post? At any rate, if you're a newcomer, welcome. Be sure to check out the first post for info about this thread such as joining our fe exchange and our fb page.

At any rate, perhaps we might be able to schedule a meet sometime during day one when the OC/OL has open house hours. That way we can all be there to introduce our kids and encourage them to include one another in play activities when they spot each other at the clubs. If we could piggyback it onto the whole group meet, that would be cool, but if not, maybe we can arrange something for the 7 - 11 group.

BTW, this might be a good idea for the 18 - 20 yo's as well. We seem to have quite a few of them, and I understand that this is sort of a black hole in Disney's club offerings; too old for the kids' clubs but too young for the bars. It would be nice for them to find one another early on and arrange activities they might enjoy together.

I guess we should all start thinking about times/places for our meetings! It's starting to get close... :woohoo:

Hello there! My son will be 8 on the cruise and he is nuts about Minecraft! :thumbsup2 We should definitely get them together!

-Sandy

We aren't allowed to use personal days during the last five instructional days in our district. We've only had one snow day, which the teachers will make up in about a week. However, as an administrator, my final day was June 12th. Now it's the 13th. Praying I can use my last personal day, so we can still leave on the 13th. We're driving from KY...also, it's our 15th wedding anniversary on the 13th. :)

:)TECHNICALLY I can't either for the last 10 days of school, but I know they make exceptions (so I am really just hoping)...we are finished the 8th with the kiddos and the 11th for the teachers, so I do have a bigger cushion of time. We have had 2 hurricane days which wiped all our built in days out already so if we happen to have snow, it goes on the end of the year. Getting pretty lucky with all the snow we have had in PA that it has been on the weekends or not enough to even give a 2 hour delay so I think we will all be ready to celebrate on the cruise!!! Can wait! Hope you can use your personal day for your anniversary...our 5 year is on the 21, can't think of a better way to celebrate!

Hi, tluther5406! Are you just joining us, or have I been spacing out and missed an earlier post? At any rate, if you're a newcomer, welcome. Be sure to check out the first post for info about this thread such as joining our fe exchange and our fb page.

At any rate, perhaps we might be able to schedule a meet sometime during day one when the OC/OL has open house hours. That way we can all be there to introduce our kids and encourage them to include one another in play activities when they spot each other at the clubs. If we could piggyback it onto the whole group meet, that would be cool, but if not, maybe we can arrange something for the 7 - 11 group.

BTW, this might be a good idea for the 18 - 20 yo's as well. We seem to have quite a few of them, and I understand that this is sort of a black hole in Disney's club offerings; too old for the kids' clubs but too young for the bars. It would be nice for them to find one another early on and arrange activities they might enjoy together.

I guess we should all start thinking about times/places for our meetings! It's starting to get close... :woohoo:

I have been logging in and keeping up with the posts sporadically. We weren't sure if we were keeping this reservation or not since we have been trying to work out another Med cruise with all the deals on the other cruise lines. Now that the pay in full date is getting closer and my workload is decreasing, I am starting to get in planning mode. It will be here before we know it!

We will probably do the fish extender this time. We did our own fish extender exchange with family on the Med 2010 cruise and our own for our son during previous cruises due to lack of time. The "Easter bunny and Mickey" even left presents on previous ones. My son is reading over my shoulder right now as you can tell.

Yay! It looks like we're going to have many reasons to celebrate!

I read on the boards that people often meet for dinner the evening before the cruise and that sounds like a great idea to me. We will be staying at the Country Inn & Suites and our TA recommended eating at "Grills." We're newbies, so I'm counting on those of you with experience to continue to steer me in the right direction :flower3:

staley98 said:
I read on the boards that people often meet for dinner the evening before the cruise and that sounds like a great idea to me. We will be staying at the Country Inn & Suites and our TA recommended eating at "Grills." We're newbies, so I'm counting on those of you with experience to continue to steer me in the right direction :flower3:

When we cruised on the Magic, we stayed at CI & S and ate at Grills. Both were good choices. We had a waterfront table on the deck, and the food was standard pub/restaurant fare but good.

Should have mentioned Minecraft as well, exposed just 3 weeks ago and now we have it on Xbox he definately can't get enough. Love the idea to schedule a meet when the OC/OL has open house hours, didn't explore the OC/OL on our 1st cruise so will take the lead from anyone. My DS is also an only child so a bit shy at first.

Should have mentioned Minecraft as well, exposed just 3 weeks ago and now we have it on Xbox he definately can't get enough. Love the idea to schedule a meet when the OC/OL has open house hours, didn't explore the OC/OL on our 1st cruise so will take the lead from anyone. My DS is also an only child so a bit shy at first.

My son is also a little shy at first, but he has absolutely loved the OC/OL since he was 3 on his first cruise. He never had separation anxiety when we dropped him off, but we did. He loved it so much that he didn't want to leave, and he has been that way ever since. He would stay there the entire cruise if we let him.

Hello there! My family will be on this cruise, and after an informal poll, the concensus is that the kids want to participate in the Fish Extender again, so I figured I might as well start here and introduce us!

Cruising will be me, my DH, our DDs 22 and 17, and DD 22's fiance. We live in the Chicago area, and will be driving down, staying at the Animal Kingdom Villas for the week before the cruise.

This will be the first cruise for the fiance, but for my family it is either our 7th or 8th (apparently, I am old, and the memory is failing, for all the cruises have run together into one great big happy jumble of experiences!). He won't join us until the cruise, because he has to work to save money before he marries my DD (we like him, he has good priorities).

On this cruise, we shall be celebrating a college graduation with honours, a high school graduation with honours, and my youngest will be turning 18 on June 19th, during our cruise. I daresay, she is ecstatic at the prospect of being able to join mom and dad at the adult pool and the adult clubs. I am not sure what she believes happens there, but she can't wait to find out! :laughing:

Oh, and almost forgot, we are celebrating our 25th Anniversary! Ok, it isn't until September, but since youngest is starting college then, DH doesn't want to be gone to the places I would like to go (Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, etc.), and he is right, we should be somewhat nearby in case DD "needs" us. The memory of the tears during eldest DD's first few months of college is ingrained upon our hearts, and we would feel awful if we weren't around in case the other girl has a rough adjustment! Some kids can't wait to leave home (me!), my children seem to like being home. And now there is a fiance that likes being with us, too. :confused3

Or there is the thought that DH doesn't want to leave the dogs twice in one summer. I believe that is the real reason we aren't going anywhere exotic for our anniversary! :thumbsup2

Since this will be our celebration trip, I am going all out and having fun. I just might order two Mojitos in one day!:eek: Oh, I am the party animal! Maybe I will even bring the bikini!:scared1: After all, after two Mojitos, I won't care what anyone thinks!

I have not read most of the posts on this thread yet (I shall try to catch up and get to know you all over the next few days), so please forgive me if this has been mentioned, but is there a list with the ages of the kids? Or will that be on the Fish Extender page?

I ask because my DD17 is certain there will be no one on the ship that she can hang out with. The teen club won't be for her, plus she will turn 18 mid-cruise so she would be the oldest, and she is sad that her sister will have her fiance with her, so no sister hang-out time like on our previous vacations. I am trying to convince her to try the 18-20 group on the ship, but I have heard that no one ever shows up to those events, and I would prefer she not spend time moping in the room. Will there be any young adults joining the fun? :)

I did read that some of you are thinking of having dinner before the cruise near the port. If anyone is staying at the resorts pre-cruise, I would be up for a get-together at Disney. We can start the Mojitos a few days early!

Well, I better start reading this thread from the beginning. I may finish before we leave for vacation! Woo-hoo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter