July 09 WONDER w/Dis Stars & New Menus; updated 9-3-09

OK Narnia Girl - you've had long enough to relax and get out of cruise mode- time for the Rest of the Story......I'm waiting.......

Loving your trip report - brings me back.

I KNOW! I feel terrible for taking so long. I should not have started this report after I got back because I was co-director for our vacation Bible school and that took the rest of July, then when that was done, I was preparing/packing/taking my son to college. Too much to do!

I'm going to try to get this thing, finished, however!

We changed for dinner and headed to Animator’s Palate.

IMG_1362.jpg

You can see that Andrew even put on his Black and White (dress?) bandana for the black/white color scheme of Animator's. He had a red one in his back pocket (?) and put it on when the colors started to change. You can also see the bracelet he bought from a Nassau vendor. (Not sure what's up with Christian?)

IMG_1366_2.jpg

For an appetizer we enjoyed the Taleggio Cheese Flatbread. It had a smoky BBQ flavor and included carmelized onions and potato chunks. One of my favorite things I had to eat on board. :thumbsup2

I tried the Butternut Squash soup but it was too sweet for my taste.

IMG_1377_2.jpg

Caroline had chicken strips and a baked potato (no problem with this instead of fries).

IMG_1378_2.jpg

Andrew had the beef tenderloin with Wasabi mashed potatoes. He loved the potatoes; I thought they were awful.

IMG_1379.jpg

Christian had a chicken breast and baked potato. sorry bout picture quality

IMG_1380.jpg

I had the Penne with pancetta and smoked turkey breast. It was excellent although it would have been just as good without the turkey.

IMG_1383.jpg

This shows the glowing Tinkerbell clip that they offered and of course, we bought. $5.95 for a Tinkerbell cup filled with smoothie and this clip. She wore the clip in her hair that night, but I believe it died out by the next day. As far as I can tell, it cannot be recharged. The cup has held up well, however. She uses it daily and it goes through the dishwasher.

IMG_1384.jpg

dessert? I think this is the smore cake?

Dinner was going on very late and I was concerned about making it to the Pirates in the Caribbean party.

IMG_1385.jpg

We hurried from the dining room to our staterooms to put on our pirate gear then headed to deck 10. This is a great spot for watching the folks below and the guys in our group enjoyed it.

Caroline and I wanted to be in on more of the action so we staked out a spot near the whirlpool on deck 9. The music and characters were so much fun and we enjoyed the atmosphere a lot.

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

Andrew took several pictures from his vantage point on the upper deck.

IMG_1402_2.jpg

When Mickey came soaring across the sky we all cheered. I know they do this over and over, and yet it still feels so special to see it! Then the music started and the fireworks exploded and I was crying again! It was just amazing! That was probably the best part of the cruise for me.

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1415_2.jpg

After the party the buffet opened but we were too full to eat anymore.

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1430_2.jpg

What is this? Two pirates facing each other??

We settled in on the deck to watch the Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. pirate: That lasted about 1/2 an hour and we were all ready to call it a night.

Back in our staterooms Christian wanted to order room service but I told him it was too late. At 12:30 Rick and I went to bed. I’m sure the kids stayed up watching TV so who knows what time they finally fell asleep?

*side note: We got the usual mini bag of honey-roasted peanuts on the flight to Orlando. Christian loved them so when we stopped at the Publix in Cocoa Beach to buy water (and one beer!) we bought him a can of honey roasted peanuts…. keep that in mind for the next installment.

divider.gif

Something I learned: If you have late seating for dinner, dress in the pirate gear ahead of time or take it with you. While we were not late to the party, it had already started and the area was crowded when we got there.

'at a girl!

You can do it!

You can finish this trip report.

Thanks for you latest installment.

And, for the foreshadowing about the honey roasted peanuts.

I am on pins and needles! . . .

TCD

“knock, knock”

plainblackbackground.jpg

Huh? Wha?

“knock, knock”

Since I am closet to the door, I stumble over and open it.

“I threw up”.

Okay, now I’m awake. It is 6:15 a.m.

(If you have a weak stomach, catch up with us later……….)

Christian is standing there looking pale. I follow him back to his room and am greeted by the smell first.
Remember that small space between the two beds? That’s where he chose to deposit his clothes the night before. They are coated with, um, ...glop. So is his bed and his brother’s bed.

IMG_1275_2.jpg

here are the beds in better, cleaner times...see how narrow the space between them?

Andrew is standing there not at all amused at being woke up because someone was puking on him. Caroline is managing to sleep through all this. Rick and I begin to clean up the mess. We have to remove all the linens from both beds, then scrape the floor, nightstand, clothes, etc…..

We give Christian a trash can which he uses a few more times. I give him Bonine figuring he’s seasick.

Everyone else goes back to sleep but I’m wide awake at this point.

I go up top and get some coffee and watch while we pull into Castaway Cay. It’s a beautiful day.

IMG_1434.jpg

Mickey is quiet at this time of morning.

After a while I head back down to the room, my whole family is sleeping (what luck!) I pack up our beach stuff and wake everyone. Christian is still not feeling great. I notify Chris, our cabin steward, who is very kind about the whole situation. I feel terrible for the mess but I’ve cleaned it as best as I can. He assures me they’ll have the carpets cleaned. (Yes we upped his tip amount.)

But then he does give me a heads-up about what to expect. He says that Christian needs to get better and fast. If he continues to be sick he’ll have to see the doctor and they will most likely quarantine him. He says it’s probably not seasickness but Norovirus. :sad2:

I am heartsick at this point. :sad1: Months of preparing and anticipating and this poor child who always suffers with his health is going to miss the most fun day of all?
He heaves one more time then falls asleep. Caroline continues to sleep and I sit with the two of them while Rick and Andrew go eat breakfast.

When they return Caroline and I go up and eat. We return to the room and I gather our beach stuff. I don’t want the other kids to miss out, too.

It’s at this point that we learn that the boys stayed up late the night before and were hungry. Since I had forbidden ordering room service, Christian polished off the can of honey-roasted peanuts. And he decided the dump all the sugar at the bottom of the can into his stomach. Hmmm, this is sounding more and more like a case of self-induced misery*.

Rick volunteers to stay onboard with Christian while I take Andrew and Caroline to the beach. We agree to meet at 11 a.m. at Cookies. We leave the ship well after 9 a.m.; it’s very hot already. We had intended for the boys to do the Teen Wild Side excursion today but had not booked it yet because Andrew needed special approval (since he’s 18). I’m so glad now that we had not followed through on that or we would have been out the money.
IMG_1436.jpg

We notice these CMs suspended from the ship painting or cleaning. (Isn't this Goofy's responsibility?)

Following the advice of fellow DIS-ers, we continue down the beach until we are near the play structure in the water. The area is already crowded but there are plenty of open seats so we stake our claim.

IMG_1437_2.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

Andrew and Caroline get in the water right away and have fun playing.

IMG_1446-1.jpg

Then look who shows up:
IMG_1444.jpg

He is very funny, and totally in character.
IMG_1443_2.jpg

IMG_1442-1.jpg

About 10:50 I go up to Cookies to meet Rick and Christian thinking they might be out early. I wait and I wait. Finally about 11:25 they show up. Christian is feeling much better although not top notch.

We alternate eating lunch at Cookies (Christian is not interested in that).

IMG_1445.jpg

Caroline plays in the water with her DIS friends.

IMG_1447_2-1.jpg

We all enjoy the beach and the water.
The boys do some snorkeling.

We had brought our own masks so they rented the fins. Andrew seems to love this. He snorkels for two hours and is then exhausted.

006_20A.jpg

One of their stateroom gifts I gave them was a disposable underwater camera.

At this point in the afternoon all the kids are tired and want to return to the ship. Caroline is not a big fan of the salt water or the fact that she’s swimming with fish.

Next up: Serenity Bay & the meltdowns....

divider.gif

Something I learned:

There is plenty of cold water available on Castaway Cay. Although at one point, only one soda fountain was open (made for some very long lines) I could always get water. Next time I will bring a refillable water bottle and not worry about getting sand in the open cups they provide.

I should have warned Caroline about salt water; never even occured to me to do so.

*regarding Christian. Two days after we returned from vacation, he got sick with flu-like symptoms. I was concerned he had picked up H1N1. A trip to the MD confirmed he had a sinus infection; and that his sinuses had been dripping back into his throat, which is also a possible contributing factor to him throwing up onboard. Really I think it was the junk food so late at night, but it might have been a combination. Either way, he was fine within 6 hours and we don't believe he had anything that was contagious.

More PLEASE!!! Loved reading it so far!! So sorry to hear he got sick!!
My parents have a sideways cabin booked...does it seem roomier?

Enjoying your report! Love the details and the food pictures...helps me to plan for our upcoming 3 night cruise on the Wonder!

When the kids went back to the ship, Rick and I decided to check out Serenity Bay. It was late afternoon by now and almost deserted. It was definitely serene. No one warned me about the sea terrain so that was surprising. It’s hard to describe, not really pebbly, but more like large flat rocks with edges and drop-offs. Rick does some snorkeling and I relax on the beach.

IMG_1456_2.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

We only stay about an hour and take the tram back. Most families are back on the ship by now.

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

Just as we are leaving Castaway Cay we ask a family to take our picture in front of the Wonder.

IMG_1464.jpg

As we get back onboard we notice a lot of commotion and find out that Corbin Bleu is right behind us to reboard. Nearby kids are pretty excited. :worship: Most of the time the Disney stars were pretty well isolated with their own family/friends—we heard of the occasional encounter with them, and of course there were staged events.

6020_1054905747479_6773826_n.jpg

Things go South

After cleaning up Caroline wants to spend yet some more time in the Mickey Pool. She does that for awhile and when it starts to rain we have her get out so we can get ready to see Disney Dreams.

About this time Rick spots a water spout out at sea.

6020_1055049751079_10748_n.jpg

None of us have ever seen this; it’s a pretty cool weather phenomenon. All the kids run up to see it on the upper deck, however, Caroline follows some DIS friends by mistake. They head off to their destinations and she is lost. We find her in a hallway crying. :worried:

Somehow between us running to the upper decks to see the water spout and getting ready for the show we keep missing each other and our communication breaks down. I’m trying to pay our tips, pack our bags and keep out clothes for the last night and deliver Fish Extender gifts. All of this contributes to an argument. :blush:

Andrew and Caroline do eventually go to see the Disney Dreams show and absolutely love it!:thumbsup2

We finish packing and dress for dinner at Parrot Cay. Caroline has a snap bracelet and it intrigues Izabella, our assistant server. We make sure to give her one, as well as distribute tip envelopes.
At some point we also pick up Caroline’s autographed pillow case which is adorable! :tinker:

We spend some time at the Til We Meet Again party, having our photo taken with Captain Mickey, then head (run) to our staterooms to set out our luggage by the deadline.

6020_1054905827481_2977394_n.jpg

Thankfully the gift shop is open late and we pick up a few souvenirs including my favorite, a poster to frame and hang at home.
We are too tired to do much more and stagger to our rooms to sleep. This is when I realized I accidentally packed my nightgown and the suitcases are already gone! :blush:

divider.gif

Something I learned:
Water shoes might be a good idea on Serenity Bay.
We had lots of great magnets on our stateroom doors, but a simple message board with erasable marker would have saved us a lot of grief when we were all heading in different directions and looking for each other.
Ask for help if you need it.
Fish extender gifts are great and lots of fun, but daily running to find cabins on a short cruise might be too much work.
Pay for tips in advance.

The hardest part
Morning comes too soon and we must leave. The kids are very hard to wake. :faint: I learned that they had been staying up very late every night. I think this is a testament to how sound-proof the cabins are. They were right next door and I never heard them.

We have our last breakfast at Beach Blanket Bingo and then disembark. Customs is a very smooth process—they take our declaration form and don’t even glance at our passports. All too soon we find our luggage and are out the door waiting for the Avis shuttle. We drive to Orlando and check into the Royal Pacific Resort—we have two days at Universal before heading home.

One more look at her:
IMG_1460.jpg

divider.gif

Something I learned:
THREE NIGHTS ON A DISNEY CRUISE IS NOT ENOUGH!

:scratchin

So almost four years later, this is the end of my cruise report.
The Wonder is no longer even sailing out of Cape Canaveral. It was the most magical vacation we could have imagined and a perfect way to celebrate our son’s graduation and our 20th anniversary.

The only thing better would be…. Oh Yes! Booking another Disney Cruise to celebrate Christian’s graduation and our 25th anniversary--and this time sharing it with extended family. :yay:

July 2014 here we come!! :banana::banana::banana::dance3::dance3::dance3:

What a great TR! I enjoyed reading it all this evening. The Wonder was our first Disney cruise.....love that ship!

I hope your next cruise is just as fantastic as this one was. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter