July 09 WONDER w/Dis Stars & New Menus; updated 9-3-09

Our server for the cruise was Jojo from India. He was wonderful and we would be happy to have him again. The assistant was Izabella from Macedonia and she, too, was just as sweet and helpful as could be. We were very well cared for.

I had Jojo and Izabella, too!!! They were darling. I truly enjoyed their service - glad to hear that you did, as well!!

Loving your Wonder TR!

Interesting that your 8 yo was bored in the terminal. I have an 8 yo and 5 yo girls. I can't decide whether to do early entry at MK that morning and arrive at the port at around noon or to arrive at the terminal early. Sounds like if my kiddos are like yours they'd rather have a couple hours at MK in the morning.:confused3

Looking forward to reading more.:goodvibes

Ooh - Can't wait to hear what you thought of the segwey tour. I'm curious if you thought it was easy to use - I've never used one (and am not the most coordinated) but it looks like fun.

I can't wait to hear about the Segway tour, too, because we are booked on the same excursion 2 weeks from today!! :goodvibes

OurOhana -- our family did a Segway tour a year or so ago in a state park in the Amelia Island area. We had never done it before, but it was easy to learn and soooooo much fun! DD is thrilled that we are going to do the Nassau Segway tour, so I really can't wait to hear the report.

Paging Narnia Girl! :cutie:

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I'm waiting til tomorrow to post about segway tour because the guys took some pictures using a disposable camera and I just took it today to be developed.

Enjoying the continuation of your cruise report.

I had to laugh about your hubby with his 1 beer. And also it cracked me up about strangers maybe not being that into you. :rotfl:

thank you!
Maybe we should have given the strangers our beer...that might have perked things up a bit. :rotfl:

Ooh - Can't wait to hear what you thought of the segwey tour. I'm curious if you thought it was easy to use - I've never used one (and am not the most coordinated) but it looks like fun.

That's a shame about your tablemates. I've not heard many people say they had similar experiences. We really worried about sitting with strangers, but ended up loving them - and we're even going on our next cruise together. I wouldn't have guessed that would have happened. But it sounds like you enjoyed your dinners regardless.

We did enjoy dinner and I'm sure those folks were nice people.

Enjoying your report.

I can totally relate with having a 8 year old DD who did not jazz to the Oceaneer's Lab.

Also, about the sea sickness. I have never had drowsiness while using Bonine and it really does work best if you start taking it before you feel sick. We took one every day during our cruise and never felt anything. We also didn't have the stabilizers working and we rocked at night.

I assumed it was the Bonine as it affected me the next day, too, but I am senstive to meds making me sleepy.

Really enjoying your report. :goodvibes

thank you!

Great job on your trip report! :thumbsup2 I can't wait to read more.

thanks!

I am having such a fun time reading your review.:goodvibes I am thinking of something similar for my family next summer. Also, I am from Illinios - about 2.5 hours from St. Louis - we might be neighbors.

Can't wait to hear more.
thanks...are you north, south or east of St. Louise? If you are north, then we probably are 'neighbors'.

I had Jojo and Izabella, too!!! They were darling. I truly enjoyed their service - glad to hear that you did, as well!!

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Loving your Wonder TR!

Interesting that your 8 yo was bored in the terminal. I have an 8 yo and 5 yo girls. I can't decide whether to do early entry at MK that morning and arrive at the port at around noon or to arrive at the terminal early. Sounds like if my kiddos are like yours they'd rather have a couple hours at MK in the morning.:confused3

thanks. Not sure what to tell you about kids. I've never been to MK but it seems like you'd be packing in a very full day if you did that early and then the excitement of the cruise all day. However, there is that hour drive where they could nap. I think my daughter just wasn't prepared for the waiting, that's my fault!
Whatever you decide, I hope it's a great trip/cruise for you. :)

Loving your Wonder TR!

Our daughter was 3 on our last cruise, and we got there as soon as the port opened (actually had to wait a few minutes for it to open.) Anyway, there are TVs in there, though not great reception as I remember. But she kept pretty busy. Some mom far more prepared than me brought a game for her kids to play, and they invited my daughter to play with them. We did bring snacks with us. The time really flew by for us.

A few comments:

1. Great job on the Pikey pic's!

2. I'm glad your DH has his priorities straight, and drank all of his beer. Good show!

3. We also had JoJo as our head server! He was great!

4. We are also a party of five, and have never been seated with another group, except on one cruise where we had our reservations linked with a Disboard group. We never made a request one way or the other. I have seen some awkward looking table assignments. So far, we've been lucky not to have one.

That's all.

So, time for another update from you.

TCD

I was just wondering if this was a 3 day or 4 day cruise? :)
Next.. I love your TR so far...makes me excited to go on a cruise next year...

I am really enjoying your trip report - thanks for sharing! I love your words of wisdom at the end of each installment - how true! My 14 year old was just not into the teens club - he set foot in there once and when the CM asked if he wanted to stay and join in with something he replied "no offence but I have better things to do!" - it turns out that organised group activities are not everyone's cup of tea! ( and pre-cruise I had thought he would never be out of the teen club!)

loving the TR so far! We're looking at taking our very first cruise (ans kids) for DH's 40th on the Wonder in Feb, so all your info is GREAT!!! Can't wait to read more

I was just wondering if this was a 3 day or 4 day cruise? :)
Next.. I love your TR so far...makes me excited to go on a cruise next year...

It was a 3-nighter. (and thanks!)

I am really enjoying your trip report - thanks for sharing! I love your words of wisdom at the end of each installment - how true! My 14 year old was just not into the teens club - he set foot in there once and when the CM asked if he wanted to stay and join in with something he replied "no offence but I have better things to do!" - it turns out that organised group activities are not everyone's cup of tea! ( and pre-cruise I had thought he would never be out of the teen club!)

that's funny because my 14-yr. old never went to the teen club either; and we were given permission for our 18-yr. old to go and he wasn't interested either. Maybe on a longer cruise they would have had a chance?

loving the TR so far! We're looking at taking our very first cruise (ans kids) for DH's 40th on the Wonder in Feb, so all your info is GREAT!!! Can't wait to read more

thank you!

Day 2 onboard

We wake up early and go up top to watch as we approach Nassau.

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

The Pilot boat approaches

IMG_1320_2.jpg

Then it’s breakfast at BBB--gosh it's nice to be able to choose from so many great options for breakfast!

The guys have their excursion with the Nassau Segway Tour this morning so about 9:45 they make their way to their meeting point and disembark. Caroline and I are staying onboard. We are able to spot the guys as they walk to the port:

IMG_1322_2.jpg

There are only two other people on this excursion. After disembarking, the group walks to the port and boards a taxi van. The drive is about 20 minutes and my boys describe is as "wild" or "cool".
Once at the Segway starting point, they are given 15 minutes of training. Then they hit trails. They love the riding but say the aqueducts are not that interesting (this is sort of a selling point, that you will see ancient aqueducts) but these are also teen boys so make what you will of their lack of interest in ancient water systems.

003_24A.jpg

Aquaducts notwithstanding they describe the scenery as nice and the climate as extremely hot.

002_25A.jpg

After a while the group stops and takes a break and are provided with a bottle of cold water.

Some areas of the trail were muddy and Christian got his Segway stuck and wiped out. He was pretty muddy on his arms and legs and he cut the palm of his hand. Their tour guide personally cleaned him off, wiping all the mud away.

005_22A.jpg

004_23A.jpg

The tour provider also took a picture of the guys ($10 for a 5x7):

scan0001.jpg

Meanwhile back on the ship:

Caroline wanted to get into the pool right away. At this point I felt so tired I could hardly keep my eyes open. I didn’t know why I was that sleepy. Normally I prefer an absolute quiet, dark room with a fan blowing. Here I was on a deck chair, in the heat and sun, surrounded by noisy children and I couldn’t stay awake. Later on I realized it was probably the lingering effects of the Bonine as I am very much a wimp when it comes to medications making me drowsy.

Caroline was happy in the Mickey pool so I found a reasonably comfy chair and allowed myself to doze for a few minutes. This is the view I had from the chair:

IMG_1323_2.jpg

When I opened my eyes about 20 minutes later a ship was gliding past me! I'm not sure I can convey how disorienting this was. :crazy: Close your eyes and see one thing, open them what feels like a few minutes later and a massive hulk is sliding by. I thought we were moving! As I hadn’t been updeck I did not know the Carnival Sensation was approaching and suddenly they were all I could see.

IMG_1326_2.jpg

This is the same ship we saw at Port Canaveral. They left port before us, but arrived in Nassau after us. Not sure where they were in the meantime.

IMG_1327.jpg

Around 12:30 we met up with the guys and they told us all about their Segway Tour. They all loved it.

We went back to BBB for lunch at sat with AbsyBabsy and her DD. While there she pointed out Tiffany Thornton eating in a nearby booth. :cutie:

Another view of Nassau with Atlantis

IMG_1329.jpg

After lunch we decided to go back to Nassau for a quick look around. It was Independence Day so several shops were closed. We walked through the port (most of those shops inside the building were closed) and then out into the general direction of the Straw Market.

We were approached a dozen times with all kinds of offers (taxis, tours, hair braids, souvenirs, etc…) Our eldest son drew lots of comments because of his bandana including at least one reference to Rambo :hippie:

We walked along to Senor Frogs and stopped because the road ends in their front door.
IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

I think most of us had had enough heat and culture during this stroll and we were anxious to get back on board.

I get claustrophobic just looking at this. There was no way I was going in there:

IMG_1334_2.jpg

Rambo, however, wanted to shop, so Dad stayed with him while I took our other two back. They ended up buying cheap T-shirts and expensive T-shirts (Hard Rock Cafe).

On our way "home":

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1330_2.jpg

We saw our friendly assistant server, Izabella, while near the ship and she recognized us. Re-boarding was quick and easy.

divider.gif

Something I learned:
* I probably did not give Nassau a fair shake. I imagine someone being dropped off in one tiny part of my town and judging the entire area by those few blocks and, of course, that's not fair. That being said, I was very happy to get back on board the ship. Nassau's port area was not my thing. Our oldest son, however, enjoyed it and felt comfortable.

*I should have tested how motion sickness meds would affected me.

Next up: Corbin Bleu concert

Just did my first cruise, it was on royal caribbean, but I'm planning a disney cruise for 2011.
Love your TR. Can't wait to read more of it.
Looks like you have a terrific family!

That straw market is crazy hot and lacking space.:)

Wondering how you fared the rest of the cruise- I'm sure I'll be heavily medicated for motion sickness- now my thought is- which would be worse, being sick and dizzy all the time or tired and "drugged out"

We have friends who run a segway tour business- those things are FUN!

Just did my first cruise, it was on royal caribbean, but I'm planning a disney cruise for 2011.
Love your TR. Can't wait to read more of it.
Looks like you have a terrific family!

That straw market is crazy hot and lacking space.:)

I'm interested in trying an RC cruise someday myself. Thanks for your kind words. :)

Wondering how you fared the rest of the cruise- I'm sure I'll be heavily medicated for motion sickness- now my thought is- which would be worse, being sick and dizzy all the time or tired and "drugged out"

We have friends who run a segway tour business- those things are FUN!

I didn't need to use any more meds for the motion sickness. I felt some heavy motion one other time but it didn't bother near as much.

We are onboard the Wonder after spending an hour in Nassau:

IMG_1340.jpg

Carrie returned to her favorite spot, the Mickey Pool, as it seems every other child onboard did because the Goofy Pool was by this time closed to prepare for the upcoming Corbin Bleu event.

IMG_1433.jpg

not sure if you can read that posted note?

IMG_1342.jpg

At 4 p.m. the party started with some music and then Corbin came out and answered some questions from the audience (“softball” questions, I’m guessing were pre-written).

IMG_1343.jpg

Pikey introducing Corbin.

IMG_1344.jpg

IMG_1345_2.jpg

Answering questions

IMG_1346_2.jpg

They had the full boom camera and it was a major set up job for their production crew.

IMG_1341_2.jpg

He was cute and charming and every spot in the area gave a good view so that was a positive.

IMG_1347.jpg

The downside was it was very hot and taking a long time. After the questions he went to get ready for the concert.

Caroline had had enough by then and just wanted to swim (fine with me!)

IMG_1349.jpg

Christian got in the Mickey pool with her but said he was afraid of putting his head underwater for fear of getting kicked.

Rick and Andrew (aka Sunshine aka Rambo) returned about this time so Rick and I took this opportunity to get in the Quiet Cove pool. There were about 8 adults in the pool or on the edges while we were there. There was also a very talented Nassau trio playing island music. We enjoyed them for a while, but truthfully, we were looking forward to a QUIET Cove and they were not. Despite their talent, they were just too loud for the small area. (Maybe they had turned it up to compete with Corbin??)

We all got out of the pools and dressed so we could see UP in 3-D. Before we went to the theatre, we walked back up to deck 9 to get a few slices of pizza and soda.

IMG_1348_2.jpg

The concert was widing down about then I think and the other Disney stars came out on stage. (Can you spot them?) I’m not sure if they sang or just waved or what as we didn’t stick around. Does anyone claim that gentleman on Deck 10 who seems to be waving at me?

UP was wonderful although I’m still not sure if the 3-D aspect added anything? :3dglasses We’ll certainly buy this one for our home collection. Also, there was no problem with us taking the snacks in (we made sure to remove all our trash!).

IMG_1350.jpg

After the movie we went back up to deck 10 to watch the ship pull out of port.

IMG_1352_2.jpg

We waved to the friendly people on the Sensation, then enjoyed the beautiful scenery and sunset as we pulled out.

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

We could see Bahamians celebrating their Independence Day and enjoyed watching one brave (crazy) dude on a jet ski as he made a complete circle around the ship.

IMG_1358.jpg

I think this is our 'brave' jet skier in the lower left of the pic.

IMG_1360.jpg

I thought this sunset looked a little like Mickey ears.

divider.gif

What I learned: Quiet Cove means you won't be disturbed by children's noises; it doesn't mean it will be quiet. :rolleyes:

Enjoy a snack in the theatre, just be sure to clean up.

The special event of having a Disney star is nice especially if you are really into that star, but it creates an inconvenience for others (closed pools, crowds, etc...)

I am really enjoying your trip report so far. Can't wait to read the next installment!:goodvibes

OK Narnia Girl - you've had long enough to relax and get out of cruise mode- time for the Rest of the Story......I'm waiting.......

Loving your trip report - brings me back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter