Jon and Kate Plus 8, Official Thread-Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that I would use the word strange to describe Kate's behavior at the party, but it was clear she didn't know any of those parents very well at all. I'm not sure how she would, since Jon is the parent responsible for taking them to school... in my experience, the preschool parental bonding comes at pick-up/drop off time while waiting for the children.

There are some preschools that do a car line, where you wouldn't have much interaction with the other parents at all. my DD attended a preschool (for one year) at a local church -- we were not members of the church, and I only knew one of the other parents. drop off/pick up was done in the cars, so there really wasn't an opportunity for me to get to know any of the parents. I hated going to events at the school or birthday parties because I didn't know anyone and after a while, gave up trying. My point being it is possible for Jon and Kate to not be familiar with the other parents.

with that said, I do think some of the things Kate said were bordering on rude, or at the very least, indicative of not knowing the parents. One thing in particular was the singing of "Happy Birthday" when Kate announced that they WOULD be singing to each of the kids, and if you watch their show you'd know that. It was what and how she said it that was annoying.

I wonder if the families involved with the party were compensated for their time.

Our preschool has car pick up/dropoff - but I invite my DS's little friends for palydates and meet their mom's that way, and vise versa.

I felt so sad for the little boy that was so excited to say the one friend he was allowed to invite was "Luke, who's not here" and then his sister says "I don't think he's coming" and he says to the camera "I don't think he's coming" I wouldn't have allowed my kids to go either. But why was a mother not on top of the fact that he didn't have a special friend there? I would have had him invite another friend. No cousins there, so sad.

The entire class was invited, apparently Luke didn't go. It's not like he only got to invite one friend. Not everyone my girls invited came to their parties either....maybe they had something else to do that day.

So they have to take an expensive ski vacation in Colorado? Many large families (I grew up in one) take local trip to the zoo, which around here is free on Mondays or free days at museums. Kids don't need expensive vacations in Hawaii, they would be just as content going to the playground, swimming pool, play with cousins, drive to the beach, go to the library and ride their bikes. I don't equate expensive vacations as necessary for any family, let alone a family of 10. Especially if the end result is invasion of privacy and possible a split up of a family that at least seemed very loving in the beginning.

There is no need for "vacations". There is plenty to do in the local area. It would be so much better for the kids if Jon and Kate focused on their relationship, got some long term counseling, and scaled back their new lifestyle. All 8 children will be much better off if their parents took some serious time to learn healthy and respectful ways to communicate, as well as reconnecting their loving relationship.
The vacations aren't going to really matter if there's a divorce, or continued separation. Jon and Kate really need to think about what's important. Those 8 kids deserve better than what they are getting now. It will be devastating to them if their parents divorce. It's not all about what makes Kate or Jon happy.

How can Kevin and Jodi say anything about Jon and Kate when they say they haven't seen them in over a year?

This morning they said they've been in touch with J&K but haven't seen the kids in "quite some time". I think previously when Kevin and Jodi said "they" they were meaning the family - not specifically J&K.

Completely agree. I've noticed that Jodi's sister, Julie, has been "giving interviews" as well.

Really? Hadn't seen/heard this. Do you have a link please?

I chose to not watch the show, I really believe it is completely a situation of exploitation.
While reading the post and reports I started to think. When I was 24 ( same as as Kate I believe when she chose to get pregnant), I was two years out of college, working at least 50 hours a week, was married , I had student loans to pay, a car payment, trying to save to buying our first home, property taxes, home owners insurance, no furniture to speak of. The last thing we would have chosen to do at that time was to get pregnant with one child never mind 2. And then to choose to try for "just another" so soon after. All of this sounds to me like someone was very selfish and unrealistic to start with. They made all 10 of those bed and now have to lie in them. Just my opinion .

I think everyone's different. I was pregnant at 20 with DS4, already had my own apartment and had been supporting myself for two years. Once DH and I got married we moved into his house. We had some problems and had a miscarriage then got pregnant with DS2. Would I love another one? Of course! But, I've been told that because of all of the complications I've had with the first two that one more would probably be my limit and they (being the dr's) couldn't assure me I would even get through one more without serious problems for myself. Different people get to different points in their lives at different times - I guess that's the moral of my story. I'm very "grown up" for my age - people constantly tell me that - so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

I also thought she was so strange at the party (well I guess not strange for her) but she was so rude to the other parents. Ignoring them and announcing things like they were not friends or fellow people, but just people in her way.

I felt so sad for the little boy that was so excited to say the one friend he was allowed to invite was "Luke, who's not here" and then his sister says "I don't think he's coming" and he says to the camera "I don't think he's coming" I wouldn't have allowed my kids to go either. But why was a mother not on top of the fact that he didn't have a special friend there? I would have had him invite another friend. No cousins there, so sad.

I don't think she was rude at the party. I'm sure it was a bit uncomfortable for all of them. It sounded like the first time J&K had met any of the "friends" let alone the families that go along with the friends. I can't imagine there's much small talk in that situation. "So, I read you're having an affair with the bodyguard. How's that going?" I mean really...it couldn't have been easy for any of them and I give those parents credit for letting the kids come and trying to let the 'tups have a "normal" party (if that's possible for them!). I think she was just asking them for help which I do at my kids parties.

I think Kate said she invited the entire class and they were making up 30 treat bags so I would guess the majority came. Things happen and you can't make every party your kids are invited to. Maybe it's because the family's on tv or maybe it's because he had the flu and was throwing up all night. It's unfair to assume why the child wasn't there.

I have a question about parties for multiples though. PLEASE don't flame me as I really don't have any idea how this works. Did each guest bring 6 gifts?? I guess I would have thought I would have gotten a "family" gift (like a board game or something) and maybe something smaller (like sidewalk chalk or bubbles or something) for each of the kids. I know if each kid had a seperate party they'd each get a gift but I can't imagine how quickly those expenses add up for people attending the party!

this is going to be a strange comment on a Disney World vacation forum .. but, vacations are not a God-given right.

while they may not be able to take extravagant trips, there are many opportunities for affordable vacations, even for large families.

but you're right, without the show, they wouldn't have been able to visit Walt Disney World, Utah, Legoland/California, NYC, and Hawaii in a little more than a year's time.

I remember Kate saying, "Well, if we don't accept these trips we could just sit around and stare at the walls." I don't know about you, but when we are home we just don't sit around and stare at the walls. Her priorities are screwed up IMHO.

Who could take all of those vacations in one year without a reality show? No one. Those kids have to be exhausted. We just got back from a 5 day trip and we are all dragging.

I have given my 3 year old nephew gum and didn't sit right with him the entire time he chewed it and demanded he spit it out in front of me!:laughing: Silly me, I let him chew and continue playing.
:
That's one child, right?

When a person is in the public eye, talking to them in person isn't always going to do it. Every conversation you have with that person, they have 10 people from production telling them they are great and offering more money and trips.

If that's why they went public, then they should have gone to someone like Babara Walters..oh, wait, she doesn't pay for stories. I wonder how much Jodi controls her own husband. A few times she started to say something, then looked at him and continued. It's only a guess, but my guess is, there were things they had agreed to not talk about (it is his sister, after all) but Jodi forged right ahead. It seemed the longer they talked, the more she wanted to make sure people realized just how bad Kate was...you know, the person that said they couldn't get paid.

Holy moly! I can't keep up with our little thread anymore!

Any hoo, I still think that Jon did not have a problem with the show or the way Kate treated him until he got his photo taken the 1st time (in Feb?) with female "fans" at the bar. That seems like when his problems with being photographed everywhere he goes and the show started. Just my opinion.

I chose to not watch the show, I really believe it is completely a situation of exploitation.
While reading the post and reports I started to think. When I was 24 ( same as as Kate I believe when she chose to get pregnant), I was two years out of college, working at least 50 hours a week, was married , I had student loans to pay, a car payment, trying to save to buying our first home, property taxes, home owners insurance, no furniture to speak of. The last thing we would have chosen to do at that time was to get pregnant with one child never mind 2. And then to choose to try for "just another" so soon after. All of this sounds to me like someone was very selfish and unrealistic to start with. They made all 10 of those bed and now have to lie in them. Just my opinion .

That was your choice to make, but J&K are not uncommon in their wish to have children at a young age....I don't criticise them for that at all. And again, they are not alone at wanting to have more children, the twins were 2, it's a fairly common age gap.
And as with any fertility treatment, whilst having multiples is a risk, a lot of people do only have 1 child as a result of treatment. 1 healthy pregnancy is the goal of any fertility treatment. So I don't see them as being selfish or unrealistic at all.
They made their choices - very common and normal choices, you made yours, again a normal choice nowadays, but just because you wouldn't have made their choice, don't label it selfish. :confused3

I don't get where people are seeing that she wasn't friendly at the party. She acknowledged several times that she had overscheduled the party and was frazzled trying to keep things moving from one thing to the next. To me, it was implied that she would rather have just been able to sit and chat it just wasn't possible with all the stuff scheduled. I would have been the same way.

I also assumed they didn't know most of those people very well. Didn't they just move?

Don't forget Jodi flat out lied about giving the kids gum

What'd she lie about? You were "sure Kate didn't yell" before you watched the episode right (#3734)? Yes it has been edited from its original form. Several episodes have been. Yes, she was a raving lunatic. The kids were frightened and Jodi was humiliated.

People love to say Jodi and Kevin should handle their disagreements off camera, well Kate sure didn't take this up with Jodi in private.

Yes Kate gave the kids gum, ...the VERY NEXT week the cameraman zoomed in on a big pink wad of gum in either Alexis or Leah's mouth at home. On purpose I am sure. The editing as people say is intended to stir stuff up. The gum thing started a bunch of drama for viewers and for the Gosselin's family. It was a long time ago; the kids are five now, they were three then. Lots of three year olds chew gum, and they did too. Jodi asked all six of them if mommy let them chew gum. They said yes. She had between 7 and 11 kids to take care of that day. She has 4 of her own. I have seen that episode one time too many. Yes, you should follow the parent's rules while babysitting to the best of your knowledge and ability. This wasn't a rule, just like her eating organic and TV time, who could keep up?

I am intrigued by multiples and have followed this family since before the tups were born, watched every show multiple times since it was Surviving Twins and Sextuplets. I loved Jon from the beginning and liked Kate at first. Now, they are two of the most unlikeable people on TV to me. I tried to watch a little Monday, but it was sick. I do wish the best for them all, but what a long row to hoe. I feel bad for people who came in "late" to this show or became interested due to internet attention. Jon and Kate were really cute and loving at first. She was bossy and controlling and he was child like, but it was loving. She'd say "oh honey" and touch his face. He'd walk up behind her, put his arms around her and kiss her. Not so much in the last year of two!

So they have to take an expensive ski vacation in Colorado? Many large families (I grew up in one) take local trip to the zoo, which around here is free on Mondays or free days at museums. Kids don't need expensive vacations in Hawaii, they would be just as content going to the playground, swimming pool, play with cousins, drive to the beach, go to the library and ride their bikes. I don't equate expensive vacations as necessary for any family, let alone a family of 10. Especially if the end result is invasion of privacy and possible a split up of a family that at least seemed very loving in the beginning.

I completely agree. I only have two children and we are always looking for free or cheap stuff to do. Everything fun that you do as a family doesn't have to be lavish.

I think I am going to turn off the show. I saw a picture in Entertainment Weekly and it really turned me off. It showed the family at a nice restaurant and all the cameras were there. It seemed really invasive and not at all how I imaged it. There were a lot of people there and a lot of equipment. It is obvious that the kids must notice the cameras. It just made me feel bad that this is probably how they are going to remember their childhood. I just don't feel right watching it anymore. :sad2:

I have a question about parties for multiples though. PLEASE don't flame me as I really don't have any idea how this works. Did each guest bring 6 gifts?? I guess I would have thought I would have gotten a "family" gift (like a board game or something) and maybe something smaller (like sidewalk chalk or bubbles or something) for each of the kids. I know if each kid had a seperate party they'd each get a gift but I can't imagine how quickly those expenses add up for people attending the party!

It looked like several were carrying multiple bags.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but again, we only saw about 15-30 minutes of a party that prob went on for several hours. We have no idea how much Kate interacted with the guests. We saw what TLC wanted us to see. Jon may have gone up and hugged each of his kids. Heck, he may even have hugged Kate...but that wouldn't have been good for the ratings.

Our preschool has car pick up/dropoff - but I invite my DS's little friends for palydates and meet their mom's that way, and vise versa.

I'm glad that worked for you .. I wish it had for me. And believe me, I tried .. my DD is my youngest, I know how to network and meet people at preschool. And it didn't work for me at this school. These moms knew each other, they attend church together .. they didn't have room for one more.

I'm just saying (because I know I need to provide an alternative viewpoint on this board ;) ) that it could be possible that Jon and Kate don't know the parents.

They're talking about it on The View right now. The show. Not whether Jon and Kate knew the parents at the party. ;)

What'd she lie about? You were "sure Kate didn't yell" before you watched the episode right (#3734)? Yes it has been edited from its original form. Several episodes have been. Yes, she was a raving lunatic. The kids were frightened and Jodi was humiliated.

People love to say Jodi and Kevin should handle their disagreements off camera, well Kate sure didn't take this up with Jodi in private.

I watched the episode, and I thought Kate spoke to Jodi very calmly (in the circumstances) - how exactly do you know Jodi was humiliated? I didn't see that part of the episode? :confused3

If Jodi was embarrassed it was because she knew she shouldn't have done it - I would have been mad too, there was gum on socks as well as on toys, Jodi wasn't the one who would be cleaning it all up.

This entire show and the situation makes me sick to my stomach. I was the biggest fan in the beginning. My mom was dying of cancer and she loved to watch the show with my kids. It brought her so much joy to see the Gosselin kids.

But now I feel like they sold their soul for money. Sure the kids have had all of these great trips and experiences but what does it matter if in the end their parents divorce? I am disgusted that they would spend all of last season talking about their vow renewal and then possibly divorce this season. It makes it feel like the entire vow renewal was just for the cameras.

Jon and Kate have 8 reasons to WORK on their marriage and stay together. I do not believe in divorce unless physical abuse is involved because I am a child of divorce and I know the pain. They kept talking about doing their best for the kids and being their for the kids but THE ONLY thing those kids really need is the stability of two parents who love each other and who love them - anything less is failure. I would go live in a 2 room shack with my husband and kids before I would let money, trips, a tv show, and tabloids drive us to divorce.

On a side note...I am sick of seeing Kate all doen up and in nice clothes. IF she was really home cooking and taking care of kids she would not be in all of these cute dresses and put together outfits every time the cameras are rolling. I miss being able to relate to her in her sweats and t-shirts at the end of a hard day with kids. Not that she can't dress nicely some times but now she is ALWAYS done up and has an incredible outfit for the cameras! Makes me sick!

And if I were J&K I would never, ever speak to ANY family member who did an interview for money to talk about me! I have no respect for Kevin and Jodi - they make me sick too! They need to shut up and go away because they are only hurting the kids more.

I watched the episode, and I thought Kate spoke to Jodi very calmly (in the circumstances) - how exactly do you know Jodi was humiliated? I didn't see that part of the episode? :confused3

If Jodi was embarrassed it was because she knew she shouldn't have done it - I would have been mad too, there was gum on socks as well as on toys, Jodi wasn't the one who would be cleaning it all up.

I think Jodi was humiliated because she has since said so; I don't think she was spoken to calmly or civily at all in the original episode.

You're right, Jodi didn't have gum on a sock or lovey. She just had her entire house in disarray and a whole knocked in a bedroom wall. When Jon came to pick the kids up, he didn't offer to clean up, have them pick up the dress up mess, or fix the wall. :confused3

I also don't think she knew what she was doing was a huge no-no. She was around the kids all the time, and is a mother.

Please don't think I think Jodi is faultless all around, I don't by any means. I think the whole situtation is messed up.

I remember Kate saying, "Well, if we don't accept these trips we could just sit around and stare at the walls." I don't know about you, but when we are home we just don't sit around and stare at the walls. Her priorities are screwed up IMHO.

Who could take all of those vacations in one year without a reality show? No one. Those kids have to be exhausted. We just got back from a 5 day trip and we are all dragging.

I think her point was that, if not for the show, in reality they probably wouldn't get to take vacations at all, or at the most very very few. I don't know, I don't fault her for that, and really I don't think anyone that gets to take vacations has a right to really fault her either. I don't, I personally wouldn't be willing to not take vacations, and not give my children a chance to experience vacations (Disney especially;)) if I knew there was a way to do it, but then again, I don't know that I can really say doing the show ect. is bad for the kids either. I don't know that I believe that it's going to traumatize them for life, or that it's really harming them at all, so I suppose if you're someone that believes it's "exploiting" the kids that you may feel differently. I suppose it has more to do with someone's opinion on the affect the show may or may not be having on the kids. If it is something bad that's going to traumatize them, then I'd agree that protecting them from being traumatized should obviously come before giving them vacations, but that doesn't happen to be my belief on the situation, so I don't see it as a problem, I see it as parents wanting to give their kids more than they had, and more experiences ect.

T

On a side note...I am sick of seeing Kate all doen up and in nice clothes. IF she was really home cooking and taking care of kids she would not be in all of these cute dresses and put together outfits every time the cameras are rolling. I miss being able to relate to her in her sweats and t-shirts at the end of a hard day with kids. Not that she can't dress nicely some times but now she is ALWAYS done up and has an incredible outfit for the cameras! Makes me sick!

She's not home all the time now...and honestly I do know some people that dress cute like that all the time. I don't, but some people really do...

I think Jodi was humiliated because she has since said so; I don't think she was spoken to calmly or civily at all in the original episode.

You're right, Jodi didn't have gum on a sock or lovey. She just had her entire house in disarray and a whole knocked in a bedroom wall. When Jon came to pick the kids up, he didn't offer to clean up, have them pick up the dress up mess, or fix the wall. :confused3

I also don't think she knew what she was doing was a huge no-no. She was around the kids all the time, and is a mother.

Please don't think I think Jodi is faultless all around, I don't by any means. I think the whole situtation is messed up.

I watched the episode the first time around, so there was no editing. I think Kate's reaction (because it was filmed and Jodi later saw it) could, and I'm sure did make her feel bad, because yes Kate was pissed and just reacted with the yelling ect., however when we heard the phone conversation, and even later in the interview, I think Kate spoke nicely and calmly to Jodi. Even at the end of the episode she said that Jodi just didn't know any better or something like that because she didn't have as many kids ect.

Jodi, did kindof lie about the situation as well, because she led Kate to believe the kids had already gotten into the gum, and that the gum was already in their mouths before she realized, which is not how it happened at all.

While I would have felt bad if I was Jodi, after seeing the show, oh well, it happens, ppl. make mistakes and the ppl that have to clean up after it get frustrated and upset. It really wouldn't have been that big of a deal to me, I'll just know next time that they can't have gum. I don't think Kate's reaction was completely unacceptable, I think it was pretty average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter