Join us in celebrating our 25th Anniversary...DeLuxe Style! SURPRISE FINALE

Which of these Signature Restaurants is better?

• Flying Fish Cafe

• Yachtsman Steakhouse

Results are only viewable after voting.
finally caught up. Amazing updates. We love Narcoossee's but did not get a change to eat there this December trip.

Welcome back!!! :) How was your trip? Are you going to do a dining report? :laughing:

As you can see, I didn't get too many updates done while you were gone. Other things like work, Christmas shopping, etc. kept getting in the way. :headache:

Great update :goodvibes

I love the look of the Mahi Mahi dish and the desserts look delicious :cloud9:

No background information this time because this was the first time that we had eaten at Citrico’s. It, along with three other Signature restaurants (Flying Fish, Artist Point, and Yachtsman’s Steakhouse), was new to us on this trip. This was the final meal of our 6 days on the Deluxe Dining Plan. Based on the many glowing reviews I had read here on the DIS, I had saved Citrico’s for last. So would we finish our Dining Plan experience with a bang or a whimper??? Had I saved the BEST for last?

To find out the answers to these questions, you must read our review of…

Dinner at CITRICO’S

Highlights – Personalized Anniversary menus, Shrimp Appetizer, Magicale Brachetto, Olive Bread

Disappointments – Service, Dessert

Would we Return? – Probably

Unfortunately our dinner here did not get off to a good start. When we entered the waiting area to check in at the desk for our 9:15 reservation, there was a large group of people taking up more than 1/4 of the room. And these people, all adults and almost all men I might add, were EXTREMELY LOUD!!! :eek: They seemed to all know each other and were talking non-stop in a language we did not understand. These guys definitely disproved the age-old myth that women talk more than men. Since our table was not ready yet, we sat in the waiting area…as far away as we could get from the Gabby Guy Group, whose loud voices seemed to permeate the entire room. This group gave a whole new meaning to 3G coverage, and not a good one. ;) Anyway, as each minute passed by, I became more nervous that DH would decide he didn’t want to stay due to the noise. We had already had an extremely noisy meal earlier that day at Coral Reef and I was afraid my DH had reached his limit. Finally the group was seated, leaving only one other couple and us in the waiting area. Whew, crisis averted… finally a little quiet. Now my only fear was that we would be seated in the same area as the 3G. But when we were finally seated, thank goodness they were nowhere to be seen (or I should say heard) and DH thanked the hostess for this. :laughing: Anyway, after showing us to our table, she presented us with personalized Anniversary menus. After looking these over, DH chose for his appetizer the Soup du Jour… Spanish Pisto Soup. This was a Spanish style Vegetable Soup with Sundried Tomatoes, Chicken Sausage, Cannellini Beans, Swiss Chard, and Basil Pesto. The funny thing about this is that they first brought him a bowl of diced vegetables and ground meat. DH and I looked at each other, both probably thinking the same thing…”Spanish style” soup must mean “very chunky”. But before we could say anything out loud, the ladle full of broth arrived and was added to DH’s bowl. I’m sorry to say that this must have thrown me off my game because I completely forgot to take a picture of it. I just asked him now if he remembers anything else about this soup other than how it was served. His comment…”Well, since I’ve never met a soup I didn’t like, it must have been okay.”

Also, DH ordered a glass of wine based on our server’s recommendation. I can’t find the receipt for our wine and I’m sorry to say that neither of us recalls what it was. I, however, remember quite well the wine which I tried for the first time here… Magicale Brachetto. In case you are not already familiar with this delicious wine, it is an Italian sparkling rose which is very similar to one of my favorite sweet wines, Rosa Regale. Without tasting them side by side I can’t really say if I prefer one over the other, so I’ll just say that I love them both. :love: Okay, back to the food now ….I ordered the Sautéed Shrimp for my appetizer. The shrimp were served in a White Wine and Lemon sauce with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese. This was delicious! Though I was already getting full, I couldn’t stop eating this until I had finished all the shrimp and most of the cheese and tomatoes. :thumbsup2

IMG_4051.jpg

Sauteed Shrimp with Tomatoes Feta Cheese

For his entrée, DH of course ordered the pork dish which was Berkshire Pork Two Ways…Rotisserie Pork Tenderloin and Roasted Berkshire Pork Belly served with Heirloom Apple-Polenta Cakes and an Orange Blossom Mustard Drizzle. He didn’t care for the Pork Belly but liked the Pork Tenderloin, however not as much as the one from the culinary demo or the California Grill Pork Tenderloin dish. So in the battle of the pork tenderloin dishes, this one came in last. :sad1:

IMG_4052.jpg

Berkshire Pork Two Ways

I had originally intended to have the Filet of Beef, as I’ve seen pictures of this here on the DIS and it looks delicious. However, the thought of eating another steak on this trip was not at all appealing to me at this point. So I instead chose the Roast Chicken Breast served with Pappardelle Pasta, Kalamata Olives, and Sundried Tomatoes in a White Wine Sauce. Hmm… kind of sounds like my appetizer. Sadly the picture of my entrée did not turn out well but it was quite good. The chicken was tender and juicy, the pasta was good, and I really liked the olives. Oh and speaking of olives, I almost forgot about the Kalamata olive bread that is served here. I enjoyed this very much; it was a welcomed change of pace from the usual sourdough bread that is served at many restaurants. I believe there was a second kind of bread served (I don’t think it was plain/sourdough, but perhaps a multi-grain?) but I only had the olive one.

Okay, that just leaves dessert. One of the main reasons why I wanted to eat at Citrico’s is because I saw a picture of one of their desserts here on the DIS and fell in love. About the time that our entrees arrived, the couple seated at the table next to us each ordered this dessert and it looked even more delicious in real life than it had in the pictures. So when the server came to our table to get our dessert orders, there was no doubt in my mind as to what I would have… the Warm Chocolate Banana Tart. And now comes the part where my heart was broken by these words, “We are all out of the Tarts, can I bring you something else?” Sadly, I then had to actually look at the menu and choose another dessert. So my dessert choice, by default, was the Tiramisu. But, although this was a perfectly good version of the popular Italian dessert, I just couldn’t stop thinking about the dessert I missed out on. So the lesson to be learned from this is, if you have your heart set on the Tart, don’t wait until after 9:00 to have dinner.

IMG_4055.jpg

Tiramisu

I bet you can guess what DH had for his dessert…yes, the Trio of Gelatos of course! I think the three flavors were almond, raspberry, and chocolate, but I can’t say for sure as I didn’t taste them. We also each had a cup of coffee along with our desserts.

IMG_4056.jpg

Trio of Gelatos

One more note I would like to add here. Our server at Citrico’s was probably my least favorite of the servers at our six Signature meals. Although he performed his job adequately, there were times during our meal that he made me feel slightly uncomfortable. His attempts at humor seemed to me to be more sarcastic than funny. As an example, when he broke the news to me that they were all out of tarts, he seemed almost pleased with my obvious disappointment. In fact, he had a big old grin on his face when he delivered the news, so it took me a minute to realize that he was serious. :sad1:

So, sadly I must say that our experience with the Deluxe Dining Plan ended more as a whimper than a bang. Although the food was pretty good, nothing really “wowed” us…with the possible exception of my shrimp appetizer. The server, although quite efficient in delivering our meal (at only 1 hr. 15 min. this meal was served at a faster pace than all of the other Signature meals), did not display the same level of friendliness and consideration as the others. Had we had a different server, I believe that our experience at Citrico’s would have been much better. Therefore, I will probably give it another try sometime. Hopefully they will still be serving the Warm Chocolate Banana Tart. ;)

And now for the numbers...

Total cost of meal (not including wine or tip) - $122.03 (or $30.51 per Dining Plan credit) LOWEST VALUE

And so I can do a DDP vs. TIW Cost Comparison at the end...

Total cost of meal (not including tip) if we had used my Tables in Wonderland discount of 20% instead of the DDP - $97.62

4 DeLuxe Dining Plan Credits used, 0 Remaining :sad2:

NEXT UP: Final Results of the DDP vs. TIW Cost Comparison

Bummmer about the banana tart dessert. I like your review of Citros. I'm really surprised in how fast they served you. I'd expect that at a regular restaurant but not signature.

I can't wait to read about the final comparison. I think, I figured that TIW would be the cheapest option for us. Especially since we are DVC members and cannot get "free" dining plans.

I always read on here how people have these long leisurely experiences at the Signatures on DlxDP, but my fiance and I are always hurried out. Maybe its because we are so young and act like children (more him than me haha) or we get bad servers, or the servers think we will tip badly because we are so young (which we don't since I served for 5 years and always give a 20% tip) but we're always in and out in like an hour. I need to learn the art of getting a nice leisurely meal! So sorry that you didn't get that experience at Citricos like at all your other Signatures.

Thanks for the great reviews!

Great reviews - both in terms of content and style! Thanks for sharing!

Sorry to be absent from the boards for so long and leaving you all hanging. But here are the final numbers regarding our first 5 nights/6 days on the Deluxe Dining Plan.

We paid approximately $720 for the two of us for 5 nights on the Deluxe Plan.
And just as a side note, since I am an Annual Passholder I still got a 45% room discount so we did not have to pay rack rate for our room or have to purchase park tickets in order to add the Dining Plan. This would have added significantly to the overall cost of the Dining Plan.

The cost of our 10 meals (over 6 days) on the Deluxe Dining Plan was $1085. In addition, we had 20 snacks (18 used at Food & Wine Fest booths) totaling approx. $90 and at least 10 cups of coffee in our refillable mugs which was worth approx. $25. So the grand total of the value of our food and non-alcoholic drinks covered by the Deluxe Dining Plan was approx. $1200.00. Subtracting what we paid ($720), results in a net savings of $480 or a 40% savings. Not too bad!!!

Ok, now for the Deluxe Dining Plan vs. TIW comparison that many of you have been waiting for...and me too. ;)

If we had used my TIW discount of 20% instead of the Dining Plan, we would have spent $876.28 for the 10 meals. Then if you add on the $90 for snacks and $25 for coffee, the total we would have spent would have been $991.28. Since we instead spent only $720 for the Deluxe Dining Plan, we came out ahead $271.28. YEAH!!! :thumbsup2

So I would have to say that the use of the Deluxe Dining Plan was a great success for us on this trip. Not only did we save money (even compared to TIW), but we got to have 10 meals (6 Signatures) that were for the most part very good to excellent.

I'll be back soon with the meals from our last day, as well as our favorites lists.

NEXT UP: Grand Floridian Cafe breakfast

Bummmer about the banana tart dessert. I like your review of Citros. I'm really surprised in how fast they served you. I'd expect that at a regular restaurant but not signature.

So sorry that you didn't get that experience at Citricos like at all your other Signatures.

Yes, our Citricos meal was dissappointing. I thought I had saved the best Signature meal for last, but sadly it was far from the best...mostly due to the service. :sad1:

Thanks for the reviews! One quick question: was the chicken breast at Citricos boneless?

My memory is getting a little hazy as it has been a while now since we had this meal. I seem to recall though that the bone was still there however much of the chicken was cut away from it and fanned out over the bone...in other words, it was just partially attached the bone. Does that make any sense? :laughing: Perhaps someone who has had this more recently or has a better memory than mine can confirm this???

I just have a little background information regarding this meal. As you may recall, I originally scheduled only two breakfasts on this trip as I knew I would have a hard time getting my DH up early to go to a sit-down meal. I had hoped to get to Kona Café on the previous morning to finally try the Macadamia Nut Pancakes but decided that I needed to choose my battles and gave up the pancakes in favor of the Maple-Vanilla French Toast at Grand Floridian Café. You see, ever since I read Golf4food’s review and pictures of the GFC’s french toast here on the DIS, I knew I had to try it. And so with this mindset I did battle on this morning and attempted to get my DH up for our 7:30 a.m. ADR at GFC. Sadly I lost this battle, but I was determined to not let this stop me. This is how my first and only solo meal at Disney World came about. And so bright and early on this Monday morning (our last day) I took the monorail from the Polynesian to the Grand Floridian for…

MY BREAKFAST AT GRAND FLORIDIAN CAFE

Highlight – Maple-Vanilla French Toast!!!

Disappointments – None

Would I Return? – Yes!

I was seated immediately upon check-in, as the restaurant wasn’t very busy this early in the morning. This was the first time I’d ever been to the Grand Floridian Café. It is quite bright and cheery in the morning with many windows. The single red roses on the tables also added a very nice touch. :thumbsup2

I already knew exactly what I wanted so just glanced at the menu before placing my order. I of course ordered the Maple-Vanilla French Toast with a side of bacon and a glass of orange juice.

IMG_4058.jpg

Maple-Vanilla French Toast
(in looking at this pic now, the first slice appears a little burned but I don't remember it tasting burned at all)

When my food was brought to the table I got out my camera and took a picture of my meal. It was then that I noticed a man sitting by himself at the table next to mine. When he saw me taking a pic of my food, he shook his head with a slightly disgusted look on his face…a look I would have expected to get if I had picked up my french toast with my hands and stuffed it whole into my mouth. :eek: I must confess that if this had happened to me at our first meal, there probably would not have been any pictures to go with my dining reviews. But, as this was our last day of 7, I did not let his scolding look deter me. I merely smiled and took another picture. ;)

IMG_4060.jpg

Now back to the food. Just as Golf4food had said in his review, the French Toast was in fact DELICIOUS!!! I remember that he said he heard angels sing when he ate this. And yes, I think I too heard a few notes of the Hallelujah Chorus when I first tasted it. :laughing: Not to brag or anything, but I make a pretty good version of french toast myself, however I must say that this one was better than mine. When I later told DH this, I think I saw a little look of regret on his face, as he really likes my french toast. Oh well, maybe next time he will drag himself out of bed and go with me to breakfast. ;)

NEXT UP: Keys to the Kingdom Tour (including lunch at Columbia Harbour House)

When my food was brought to the table I got out my camera and took a picture of my meal. It was then that I noticed a man sitting by himself at the table next to mine. When he saw me taking a pic of my food, he shook his head with a slightly disgusted look on his face…a look I would have expected to get if I had picked up my french toast with my hands and stuffed it whole into my mouth. :eek:

What a miserable person he must be...I am grateful that we have people who will bring back pics from their trips so that we can get an idea of whether or not we want to spend our $$ on a certain restaurant's food! I can't tell you how often I have been "talked into" dining at a particular restaurant or even ordering a particular item based on someone's pic and review! So, I thank you!! AND, I am now considering maple-vanilla French toast, thanks to you! ;)

When my food was brought to the table I got out my camera and took a picture of my meal. It was then that I noticed a man sitting by himself at the table next to mine. When he saw me taking a pic of my food, he shook his head with a slightly disgusted look on his face…a look I would have expected to get if I had picked up my french toast with my hands and stuffed it whole into my mouth.

LOL!! When we went to the GF Tea Room I saw a woman taking pics of her food. She had a really fancy camera and lens too. I wanted so bad to ask her is she was from this board!!

My husband would not let me, he said I would have looked crazy!! :confused3:rotfl:

What a miserable person he must be...I am grateful that we have people who will bring back pics from their trips so that we can get an idea of whether or not we want to spend our $$ on a certain restaurant's food! I can't tell you how often I have been "talked into" dining at a particular restaurant or even ordering a particular item based on someone's pic and review! So, I thank you!! AND, I am now considering maple-vanilla French toast, thanks to you! ;)

I totally agree! In fact, I would not have even been there at the Grand Floridian Cafe had I not seen Golf4food's review and pictures of their french toast here on the DIS. And if you like french toast, then I'm pretty sure you'll like GFC's version...it's quite delicious!

My husband would not let me, he said I would have looked crazy!! :confused3:rotfl:

My DH was the same way. At the beginning of our trip he asked me not to take pictures of our food. I proposed a compromise that I would take pics of only my food. Well, after the first couple of meals he changed his mind. By the end of the trip he was reminding me to take a picture before we started eating and even took a few himself. :confused3:rotfl:

Great review of Grand Floridian Cafe! That's the next one up on my list, actually! :laughing:

Sorry you got a dirty look for picture-taking. I might have started taking pictures of anything and everything on my plate. Glass of water, sugar packet, fork...:thumbsup2

Loved your review of the Grand Floridian Cafe

I too have difficulty getting my DH to eat breakfast :laughing:

Good for you to go along anyway and boo to the miserable man on the other table :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter