Join us in celebrating our 25th Anniversary...DeLuxe Style! SURPRISE FINALE

Which of these Signature Restaurants is better?

• Flying Fish Cafe

• Yachtsman Steakhouse

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thanks for the wonderful update and I love reading stories behind the ADR's...I do the same thing and my husband doesn't care to listen when I try to explain this things to him.

Thanks for the wonderful update and I love reading stories behind the ADR's...I do the same thing and my husband doesn't care to listen when I try to explain this things to him.

Thanks so much for reading Pooh&Our Hunny! I see you will be at Disney World in just two days. Wow, do I envy you. Where are you planning to dine while you are there? Are you going to do a Dining Report when you return?

You might recall this from my introductory post...

Out of 12 sit-down meals, only one was a big disappointment. I will keep you guessing for now as to which one. ;)

Well, I've now completed nearly half of my Dining Reviews and no big disappointment yet. I bet some of you were thinking it was going to be Le Cellier, weren't you? But nope, all was good there. So will it be...California Grill, San Angel Inn, Narcoossee's, Coral Reef, Citrico's, Grand Floridian Cafe, or La Hacienda? Anyone care to venture a guess???

Thanks so much for reading Pooh&Our Hunny! I see you will be at Disney World in just two days. Wow, do I envy you. Where are you planning to dine while you are there? Are you going to do a Dining Report when you return?

thanks, we are all excited for this upcoming trip. I'm not sure if I'll do a dining report b/c I'm not a great writer.
We arrive on Friday and will attend MVMCP and have 4:45 dinner at CP.
Saturday we might go to Sea World, if not we will go to DTD and have lunch at Fulton
Sunday:Tusker House Breakfast buffet, Lunch Yak and Yeti and dinner The Brown Derby
Monday:Hollywood and vine character breakfast (and our son wants to eat lunch there too:lmao:) dinner we might go to Yatchmans (but we have to see how are son is doing)
Tuesday: CP breakfast at 8:05, Chef de France lunch but its the candlelight procession package
Wednesday: Princess breakfast at Epcot, lunch at LeCellier, dinner at Garden Grill
Thursday: Chef Mickey breakfast, lunch at Via Napoli
Friday: Cape May breakfast, dinner The Wave before MVMCP

So will it be...California Grill, San Angel Inn, Narcoossee's, Coral Reef, Citrico's, Grand Floridian Cafe, or La Hacienda? Anyone care to venture a guess???

I'll go ahead a venture a guess. I will go with GFC--just because it was a really bad meal for us in May. Well, the steaks were bad--7 Ribeyes and 1 NY Strip, I think.

Narcoosee's would be my next guess as lots of people including my parents have had big disappointments there...

thanks, we are all excited for this upcoming trip. I'm not sure if I'll do a dining report b/c I'm not a great writer.
We arrive on Friday and will attend MVMCP and have 4:45 dinner at CP.
Saturday we might go to Sea World, if not we will go to DTD and have lunch at Fulton
Sunday:Tusker House Breakfast buffet, Lunch Yak and Yeti and dinner The Brown Derby
Monday:Hollywood and vine character breakfast (and our son wants to eat lunch there too:lmao:) dinner we might go to Yatchmans (but we have to see how are son is doing)
Tuesday: CP breakfast at 8:05, Chef de France lunch but its the candlelight procession package
Wednesday: Princess breakfast at Epcot, lunch at LeCellier, dinner at Garden Grill
Thursday: Chef Mickey breakfast, lunch at Via Napoli
Friday: Cape May breakfast, dinner The Wave before MVMCP

Ahhhh yes, character meals. I remember those days when our kids were young and our dining itinerary included many, many character meals...probably even more than yours :laughing:. But as I recall, a few of them actually had decent food. Here's hoping that that is still the case :thumbsup2. Anyway, I really hope you get to go Yachtsman. You so deserve a good steak after a day of dining at Hollywood & Vine :laughing: Oh, and I would love to hear about your dinner at The Wave, so I hope you do a review. The Wave is on my "Disney Restaurants I'd Like to Try Someday" list. I was able to cross 7 restaurants off this list after this last trip, but sadly there just wasn't time for The Wave. :sad2:

Have a great trip!!!

I'll go ahead a venture a guess. I will go with GFC--just because it was a really bad meal for us in May. Well, the steaks were bad--7 Ribeyes and 1 NY Strip, I think.

Narcoosee's would be my next guess as lots of people including my parents have had big disappointments there...

Hmmmmm...very interesting. We (actually just me, but I'll save that story for the review) had breakfast at GFC so no bad steak issues :laughing: Stay tuned to see if they do french toast better than they do steaks ;). But I will definitely keep the steak thing in mind for future reference.

As for Narcoossee's, we've dined here a few times before...have had some very good experiences and some not so good :sad1: So it's a definite candidate for "big disappointment". :laughing:

Anyone else like to ""weigh in" with their vote for "Biggest Loser", I mean "Biggest Disappointment"? Sorry, I watched this show for the first time this week and I couldn't resist the reference :lmao:.

IRON HORSE VINEYARDS BEVERAGE SEMINAR
Presented by David Munksgard

Our presenter for this seminar was David Munksgard, the Winemaker for Iron Horse Vineyards. He began by telling us a little bit about this California vineyard. First of all, it is located in Green Valley, which is in the southwestern part of the Russian River Valley in Sonoma County…only about 13 miles from the Pacific Ocean and not far from San Francisco. This area is well-known for its cool, foggy weather and soil that is very good for growing grapes…especially for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay (the two types of grapes grown by Iron Horse).

Iron Horse winery was opened in 1979 by Audrey and Barry Sterling (no relation to Sterling Vineyards, another California winery). It remains to this day, a small (only 160 acres), independent, and family-owned vineyard but has become one of Sonoma County’s most prestigious wineries. Their sparkling wines have been served at the White House for the past five consecutive presidential administrations, beginning with Ronald Reagan in 1985. In addition, Iron Horse produces a remarkably large number of bottles of Fairy Tale Cuvee for Disney each year. He told us the exact figure at the seminar, but sadly I have forgotten it and I failed to write it down :guilty:. However, I remember being surprised by how large the number was :eek:. While Iron Horse is best known for its sparkling wines, they also make Chardonnay and Pinot Noir wines.

IMG_4000.jpg

David Munksgard, Winemaker for Iron Horse Vineyards

We got to taste three of the Iron Horse wines at this seminar. We began by tasting the sparkling wine pictured on the left. This was the Fairy Tale Cuvee, which is made exclusively for Disney and available only at their resorts and on their cruise ships. David told us that this sparkling wine is a blend of 86% Pinot Noir grapes and 14% Chardonnay. Although a little too dry for my taste (I preferred yesterday’s sparkling wine, MARTINI Asti, over this one), I was very glad to finally taste this wine that I had heard so much about. The other two wines which we got to taste were both still wines and both Chardonnays. The one pictured in the middle was their UnOaked Chardonnay and the one on the right was their Estate Chardonnay. Of the two, I preferred the Estate as it tasted just a tad bit sweeter than the UnOaked. However neither were sweet wines…fruity yes, but sweet no, not really. I did not though have a problem drinking either one, and would have gladly drunk a second glass if it had been offered. But sadly, no refills are given at any of the wine seminars. :sad2:

IMG_3999.jpg

Iron Horse Fairy Tale Cuvee, Unoaked Chardonnay, and Estate Chardonnay

Unlike Jimmy Cefalo, the MARTINI celebrity spokesperson, David Munksgard is an award-winning winemaker, and someone who is actually involved in the day-to-day operations of the vineyard. Although he wasn’t quite as entertaining as a presenter, he was definitely more knowledgeable. In just 45 minutes, I learned a great deal from him about the process of making wine, especially sparkling wine. In addition, we got to taste some pretty good wines. And at only $6 (our AP discounted price, full price was $8) this seminar was a bargain, considering that Fairy Tale Cuvee alone sells for $14 a glass at the Disney restaurants. Now I’m sure our pour was much smaller than the $14 one, but we also got to taste two other wines plus learn about these wines from the person who actually makes them. So I would say this seminar was a winner, definitely worth our time and money!

NEXT UP: La Cava de Tequila

Ahhhh yes, character meals. I remember those days when our kids were young and our dining itinerary included many, many character meals...probably even more than yours :laughing:. But as I recall, a few of them actually had decent food. Here's hoping that that is still the case :thumbsup2. Anyway, I really hope you get to go Yachtsman. You so deserve a good steak after a day of dining at Hollywood & Vine :laughing: Oh, and I would love to hear about your dinner at The Wave, so I hope you do a review. The Wave is on my "Disney Restaurants I'd Like to Try Someday" list. I was able to cross 7 restaurants off this list after this last trip, but sadly there just wasn't time for The Wave. :sad2:

Have a great trip!!!

thanks, We are all so excited for this trip (this will be our son 5th trip but the past 2 years has been hard and we had Disney trips cancel, rebooked and cancel and rebook...this is the 4th rebook trip).

Thanks for the update and I have to catch up all your food reviews when we get back. I might try to do a short food review b/c so much people have help me and I do love reading all the food reviews. I might have it from 5yr old and mommy FR...he loves taking pictures and I'll assign him to do all the food pictures...

Wastin' away again in Margaritaville...Searching for my lost shaker of salt :rolleyes1

Oops, I guess Margaritaville (the Jimmy Buffett one) is actually at the other Orlando amusement park…the one who shall not be named. Did you catch my clue though with the Harry Potter reference? :laughing: So actually, we spent the next hour or so of our afternoon “wastin away” drinking margaritas at the new (or at least new to us) tequila bar in the Mexico pavilion at Epcot, Disney’s version of Margaritaville. Yes, this was our very first visit to La Cava de Tequila, affectionately known here on the DIS as “The Ditch”, but will definitely not be our last. ;)

Margaritas at LA CAVA de TEQUILA aka "The Ditch"

Our Iron Horse seminar ended at about 3:00 on Friday afternoon. We had some time to kill and with only having had one beer (DH’s Moosehead) at lunch and three small pours of Iron Horse wine, we hadn’t yet met our booze quota for the day.:laughing: So to review…Friday afternoon, time to kill, want more booze… :idea: ahhh yes, HAPPY HOUR at LA CAVA de TEQUILA!!! :woohoo:

So it was mid-afternoon on Friday and we were seated immediately by the greeter who was standing just outside the entrance to the bar. I mention this, because just a day later on Saturday afternoon, we went by La Cava on our way to and from our lunch at San Angel Inn and there was a line of people outside the doorway waiting to get in, as apparently it was filled to capacity. So the moral to this story is, this is a very popular place (especially on the weekends it seems) so if you wish to actually go inside La Cava and sit down to leisurely enjoy a drink or two, then you should probably plan to do so on a weekday…don’t put it off until the weekend. ;)

Ok, now back to our Friday afternoon “Happy Hour” at La Cava. We each chose a different margarita to try. DH ordered the Naranja Roja, which was described on the menu as … Sweet-tart flavors of the blood orange juice and the hibiscus syrup, El Mayor Blanco Tequila, Triple Sec liquor, topped with blood orange foam, served on the rocks with a hibiscus Himalayan salt rim. I ordered the Pina, described as … El Mayor Blanco Tequila, ginger liquor, caramelized pineapple nectar, agave nectar syrup and fresh lime juice, served on the rocks with cactus-lemongrass salt rim. These are the two margaritas which our server recommended when I told him that I preferred sweeter drinks. After taking a few sips of the Pina and then trying DH’s Naranja Roja, I realized that I much preferred his over mine as it was sweeter. Luckily, DH was okay with the Pina and offered to switch with me. :hug:

IMG_4001.jpg

Pineapple and Blood Orange Margaritas

As it had been a few hours since we’d had our shared lunch at Le Cellier, we were a little bit hungry and decided we wanted a snack. DH wanted to get the chips and salsa, however I love guacamole so overrode his choice and ordered the guacamole and chips. Our server however took pity upon DH and brought us both salsa and guacamole along with the chips. All three of these were exactly the same as what is served at San Angel Inn. I really like the guacamole here (and San Angel Inn) as it is very fresh tasting; however it is way too big of a serving for just two people. I wish they offered different sizes, as I really hated to waste so much of this delicious stuff.

IMG_4002.jpg

Guacamole, Chips, and Salsa

About the time that our drinks were served, another couple (about our age) were seated at the table next to us. The husband ordered a tequila flight, while the wife (who was apparently the designated driver ;)) ordered a soft drink. Before we were even close to finishing our margaritas, he had downed his three tequila shots plus the additional shot he’d gotten of his favorite tequila of the flight. Wow, that was four tequila shots in about 10 – 15 minutes. If I had drank that many tequila shots in such a short time, DH would have had to carry me back to the Boardwalk, for a very long nap. :lmao:

La Cava de Tequila is a great place for adults to kill some time while sipping on margaritas (or downing some shots if that’s what you prefer). However, it is not a cheap way to kill time, as our bill (including tip) for 2 margaritas and guacamole & chips was $39. Despite this though, I really enjoyed the margaritas (or at least the Blood Orange one) , the guacamole, and most of all…the adult atmosphere. Sitting in there, leisurely sipping our adult beverages, it was very easy to forget that we were in the middle of one of the most popular amusement parks in the world. That’s one of the things I love about Disney World, there is something for everyone. Many of our friends/family teased us about going to an amusement park to celebrate our 25th anniversary. When they think of Disney World they think…crowded, expensive, amusement park rides. Well, yes it’s often crowded, and yes it’s not cheap, but there is soooooo much more at Disney World than the rides and many things that are adult-oriented. La Cava de Tequila is just one of those hidden gems. Ok, off my soap box now…as I realize that I am preaching to the choir. :laughing:

So anyway, in summary…La Cava can now count me as a member of its fan club. :cheer2: Does that mean I’m a Cava Dweller? Or am I a Ditch Digger? You know, as in…someone who “digs” the Ditch ;). I’m sorry, I’ll quit now. :guilty:

NEXT UP: California Grill

Gotta love The Ditch!! We are hooked on the Jalapeno Margaritas and the crab tostadas!!!!:thumbsup2

Okay... I think on our next trip the girls are going to DITCH the Dads and go to the Ditch. That looks so GOOD....

I am SO excited to read the rest of your review/reports. I am going in May and I love hearing and seeing pictures of everyones experiences.. Happy Anniversary@!

I am SO excited to read the rest of your review/reports. I am going in May and I love hearing and seeing pictures of everyones experiences.. Happy Anniversary@!

Thanks loganpaulsmom! Disney World was a great place to celebrate. It looks like you will have a lot to celebrate on your trip. Congrats! Oh, and thanks for reading. :)

Eat to the Beat Concert - BIG BAD VOODOO DADDY :rockband:

After our “Happy Hour” we were walking around World Showcase in the general direction of the Boardwalk, with the intention of going to our room to change for dinner. Well, we got as far as the American pavilion when we noticed a line forming outside of the American Gardens Theatre. They were waiting to get in for the first show of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. We had never before heard of this band, but we still had a little time before we needed to leave and had nothing better to do. So we joined the line of people, most of which were big-time BBVD fans. DH struck up a conversation with a woman that was standing behind us, who was there with her adult son. They told us that this band was so good that they had come to Epcot that day just to hear them perform. So now DH and I are starting to get a little excited about this band with the very interesting name. About this time, the line starts moving as they are letting people in. We got great seats, unlike yesterday when we had no seats or Tuesday when we were in the back row so we happily sat down and waited for the show to begin. From the moment the band took the stage we knew we were in for quite a treat. I think I counted nine band members…two saxes (one alto, one tenor), two trumpets, a trombone, drums, string bass, piano, and the vocalist (who also played the electric guitar in a few of the songs). Their music was very high-energy and upbeat…a combination of jazz, swing, and big-band. With songs like, “You and Me & Bottle Makes 3”, Minnie the Moocher (not Minnie Mouse of course :laughing:), and Jumpin’ Jive, this band was not only fun to listen to, but fun to watch perform on stage. They looked like they were having a blast up there and the feeling was contagious. :cool1:

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

We loved every minute of their performance and wished we could have stayed for their next show. But no can do… ‘cause there’s a 7:25 reservation at California Grill calling our name. :woohoo: Oh, and by the way, I just pulled up the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy website (at bbvd.com) , as writing this review reminded me that I wanted to order one or two of their cds for DH for Christmas. I discovered they have a jukebox there so I’m now listening to their music as I finish this review. If you have never heard this band perform and like this type of music, I highly recommend that you drop by their website for a listen. Heck, why not check it out even if you have heard them before, which is pretty likely since I read on their website that they have been performing together for 16 years and have made many TV appearances on shows like The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Conan O’Brien, Live with Regis and Kelly, and even performed in the half-time show of the Super Bowl one year. Wow, where have we been??? :confused3 So I guess we are latecomers to this party, but better late than never. :thumbsup2

NEXT UP: California Grill (for real this time ;) )

La Cava de Tequila is a great place for adults to kill some time while sipping on margaritas (or downing some shots if that’s what you prefer). However, it is not a cheap way to kill time, as our bill (including tip) for 2 margaritas and guacamole & chips was $39. Despite this though, I really enjoyed the margaritas (or at least the Blood Orange one) , the guacamole, and most of all…the adult atmosphere. Sitting in there, leisurely sipping our adult beverages, it was very easy to forget that we were in the middle of one of the most popular amusement parks in the world. That’s one of the things I love about Disney World, there is something for everyone. Many of our friends/family teased us about going to an amusement park to celebrate our 25th anniversary. When they think of Disney World they think…crowded, expensive, amusement park rides. Well, yes it’s often crowded, and yes it’s not cheap, but there is soooooo much more at Disney World than the rides and many things that are adult-oriented. La Cava de Tequila is just one of those hidden gems. Ok, off my soap box now…as I realize that I am preaching to the choir. :laughing:

Enjoyed the La Cava review. Will be back there in 10 days for DW's birthday. Celebrated our anniversary(28th) at the F&W festival, for the 4th year in a row. In 9 days @ BWV, we never got on a bus/boat, and never went on a ride. Food, wine/beverages, and music! Thanks again for the review!!

Enjoyed the La Cava review. Will be back there in 10 days for DW's birthday. Celebrated our anniversary(28th) at the F&W festival, for the 4th year in a row. In 9 days @ BWV, we never got on a bus/boat, and never went on a ride. Food, wine/beverages, and music! Thanks again for the review!!

Wow, 4 years in a row! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Would you please talk to my DH??? I would love to make this an annual anniversary celebration trip. Sadly though, I was lucky to get him to agree to this one. :sad1:

I'm very envious that you will be back there in just 10 days. With our first snowfall last night (and still snowing now) and cold temperatures forecasted for the week, I would so love to be back at Disney World right now. I'm assuming you have it as bad (or maybe worse) up there in Wisconsin?

Well, have a great trip and birthday celebration! And thanks for reading. :)

Wow, 4 years in a row! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Would you please talk to my DH??? I would love to make this an annual anniversary celebration trip. Sadly though, I was lucky to get him to agree to this one. :sad1:

I'm very envious that you will be back there in just 10 days. With our first snowfall last night (and still snowing now) and cold temperatures forecasted for the week, I would so love to be back at Disney World right now. I'm assuming you have it as bad (or maybe worse) up there in Wisconsin?

Well, have a great trip and birthday celebration! And thanks for reading. :)

Perhaps you could convince him to purchase BWV resale? :) $100 discount for AP, we get 3 trips/AP, and we purchase TIW. F&W and F&G every year. Can't beat the 5 minute walk to Epcot from BWV.

We got our first snow last night too(still snowing), and yes, temps are going to be brutal this week. The 14th can't come soon enough. Look forward to reading your Citricos review, as it is in our top two. Thanks again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter