Jedi Academy.... You don't get "picked" anymore?? What time??

My oldest DS was picked (the old way) during our last trip and I always tell
him how fortunate he was and that alot of kids were heart broken
Lucikly, his little brother could care less, he was just happy to watch the show :goodvibes

I am also glad it's been changed, I think it's much more fair

What time do they arrive to "pick you" prior to the show? Is the queuing area outside or inside. I ask because I wondered if I could arrive 5 or so minutes before my DS5 and "hold a spot" - we have very slow movers coming with on this trip!

Sydnerella's Mama

I think you would want to take your ds5 with you to hold his spot. I bet the other parents/kids in line would frown on you holding a spot for your son if he's not with you (and the CMs might not allow it). Just take him along and let the slow movers in your party catch up to you and your ds at their pace.

Question for you guys. My 12 yo nephew will be at WDW for his Make a Wish trip in a few weeks. He has battled brain cancer, and will hopefully be declaired in remission very soon. He and his 2 brothers are Star Wars finatics!!! I dont think though that he could be out in the sun waiting - is there shade in any part of the line? Also, how long do you have to stand if you make it into the show? Im not 100% sure how long he can stand before needing to sit in his wheelchair???
Thanks for your help|!!

I do believe there is some shade in some spots but not the entire line. Keep in mind that not everyone needs to wait in line. This is how we did it. I ran with my DS5 to Star Tours to get in line for the training. My DH ran to get fastpasses for Toy Story Mania and then shopped, got breakfast with my DD16. We were #14 only one other child behind us made it into the training. This fills up quickly. I was told they only take 14 to 16 kids. I think it depends on family size. They would never let one child of one family do it and make the other wait. My advice is go early and run.:rotfl2:

So glad they changed this. My son stood waiting for this show long before anyone even showed up and did not get picked. I was so upset for him and it has always been the one sore spot I have had with Disney.

The same thing happened to us! We got to the show about an hour before it started and were the first ones there. My son wasn't picked. GRRRR!!!!!

The line seems fair.

What time do they arrive to "pick you" prior to the show? Is the queuing area outside or inside. I ask because I wondered if I could arrive 5 or so minutes before my DS5 and "hold a spot" - we have very slow movers coming with on this trip!

Sydnerella's Mama

They will not let you "hold" the spot, your child will need to be there.

But be prepared, the area is not covered and is located at a dead end, which gets extremely hot in the mid-morning sun!! You may want to bring a towel or something to sit on or cover yourselves with. I could feel my arms burning while we waited.

It is a great treat though, and worth a reasonable wait, if your kids get called up.

Question for you guys. My 12 yo nephew will be at WDW for his Make a Wish trip in a few weeks. He has battled brain cancer, and will hopefully be declaired in remission very soon. He and his 2 brothers are Star Wars finatics!!! I dont think though that he could be out in the sun waiting - is there shade in any part of the line? Also, how long do you have to stand if you make it into the show? Im not 100% sure how long he can stand before needing to sit in his wheelchair???
Thanks for your help|!!

I do believe there is some shade in some spots but not the entire line. Keep in mind that not everyone needs to wait in line. This is how we did it. I ran with my DS5 to Star Tours to get in line for the training. My DH ran to get fastpasses for Toy Story Mania and then shopped, got breakfast with my DD16. We were #14 only one other child behind us made it into the training. This fills up quickly. I was told they only take 14 to 16 kids. I think it depends on family size. They would never let one child of one family do it and make the other wait. My advice is go early and run.:rotfl2:

billwendy,

With this information I would make sure you have an umbrellas or something to cover yourselves with!! Although I haven't been there yet, I've beed reading a LOT of what the other WONDERFUL Disers :disrocks: have been writting and suggesting!! And this may effect you in other areas of the parks as well!!! Have Fun!!! :mickeyjum

Sydnerella's Mama

I'd be VERY upset if my son was in line and would make the cut off, and suddenly other kids showed up late to join their group who were "holding spots" for them and then my son got cut off from participating!!

I'd actually end up saying something to the CM running the show!!

Sorry, that just would not be fair to others!!!

Does anyone know if they added a line for the Pirate training thing at MK too? My middle son did not get picked one year (but my oldest did) and he sobbed for 10 minutes. He loves Jack Sparrow.

I'm not really sure if my son likes Star Wars or pirates more, I'll have to wait till his next birthday to see what theme he picks, but I didn't hear about a Pirate Training!!!

Enlighten me please!!!! What is it and where???

Thanks!!!

I just found the information at the link posted earlier in this thread by reelmom!! Thanks anyway!!! :cool1:

I'd be VERY upset if my son was in line and would make the cut off, and suddenly other kids showed up late to join their group who were "holding spots" for them and then my son got cut off from participating!!

100% agree with this! I would certainly make a stink if this should happen!

I was recently told that they no longer pick kids for the Jedi Academy, and that now you get there and stand in line. I understand why they would do this, how would your kid feel if they weren't "picked"... like the last kid on the playground to be picked, but only worse because your in Disney!?!? I know it's gotta be easier to tell your child that you just didn't get there in time, rather then telling them they weren't picked!!

:disrocks:

So glad they have gone to lines. Each time my oldest tantrumed hard when he wasn't picked (especially last time when a kid right in front of him got selected). And with a line, BOTH boys can go!

How strict are they about the cutoff? I have a son that is developmentally delayed who will turn 13 2 weeks before we go. He looks and acts more like a 10 year old and will have a hard time understanding if he can't do this.

We were there over President's Week. We got in line at 9:25 for the 9:50 show. My kids were # 18 & 19 and both made it to the ground training. They took 24-30 for each show. If you are in the first 12-15 you will be on stage and the others on the ground in a roped off area. They do ask their age (you need to be 4-12) and two other ?'s. If they won't answer them they may not let them go is what we were told. They all did the show at the same time. Darth Vader fought the kids on stage and the Dark Sith fought the kids on the ground.

What type of questions do they ask?

Sydnerella's Mama

The line is a que area. The first part of the que is for the first 12-15 kids that will be in the next show and where they put on the Jedi robes and get the lightsabers. The next part of the que is where the kids get asked the questions and wait to move into the first part. You might be in the second part of the que but have to wait through 2-4 shows depending on just how many kids are there. You can't "hold a spot" for your child or other children. There has to be a warm body aged 4 - 12 in the que if they want to do the show.

How strict are they about the cutoff? I have a son that is developmentally delayed who will turn 13 2 weeks before we go. He looks and acts more like a 10 year old and will have a hard time understanding if he can't do this.

I would imagine that there are as strict about the age as they are about the height restrictions, there has to be cut-off somewhere. You could always ask the CM at the que area but I would explain to your DS that it is for kids 4 - 12. The worst that happens is that they say "sorry, no".

We tried for numerous trips and during one six day trip we tried every day (DHS is our favorite park so we are usually there) and on day five DS7 finally got picked. It was hard on him when four kids around him got picked during one show and when one kid got on the stage even though he wasn't picked because his mom pushed him forward so while I liked the randomness of it before this will do away with the stage parents and help the more reserved kids have a shot. :yoda:

Great thread! My ds and dd are VERY into Star Wars and this is a "must do" item on our list for our trip next week.

100% agree with this! I would certainly make a stink if this should happen!

I hear ya - no worries, I will not mess with your kids star wars dreams :hug:

THANKS to Lil G Mom and Sign-me-up for the "split up" suggestion and taking my young man on my own - :thumbsup2 DUH!!!! Talk about not being able to see the forest for the trees.

Sydnerella's Mama

Thanks for your help|!!

If you were there within the first 15 kids and talked to the CM there, I am POSITIVE they would make accomodations for a Make A Wish child.

I would be upset too if more kids showed up with no notice and bumped my kid at the last minute. But it would be the "no notice" part that upset me - not the fact that the other kids hadn't waited in the line.

If I joined a line with what appeared to be only a handful of kids ahead of me, but then as I joined one of the adults in front of me turned to me and said "I am waiting for my 3 boys to arrive, so we are actually a party of 4" that would be perfectly fine with me.

I see no need for kids to prove their worthiness by standing in a hot shadeless area for an hour or more just for the brief chance to do something fun. I would far prefer for the adults to be able to hold spots while the kids got to stay in the air conditioned gift shop, or having lunch, or on a ride, until close to the start of the show.

I would only be annoyed if I'd waited a long time without that crucial piece of information - since it would of course be relevant to whether I was willing to put in the time waiting as well.

IMO what shows like this would benefit most from would be a number system, where kids would go to a check-in station and receive their number and show time. Then they could go walk the park at their leisure and show up right before the show they were going to participate in.

this does seem like a much better system-We tried the first year (2DS's) and neither one was picked-they were pulled in to block party boot camp with the army men that same day so that seemed to help. Last year they were both picked but with a few kids inbetween them (I didn't think it was possible to sweat any more than I already was since it was Sept.) But both years it seems like a couple of cute but obviously out of place little girls come up at the last minute and would always get chosen. Yes I know girls can like Sw but if you don't know which end of a light saber to hold get off the stage and leave it for the boys that do

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter