• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

January 7, 2006 *Magic* 1/7/06

I got this press release from the following web page on the US Department of State.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2626.html

So it looks like they have postphoned it a year.

Press Release: Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative Formally Sumbitted for Public Comment

Initiative Designed to Expedite Travel in the Western Hemisphere While Enhancing Security

Washington, D.C. – The Departments of Homeland Security and State formally submitted the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative proposal for public comment. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all U.S. citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and citizens of Canada and Mexico to have a passport or other accepted secure document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States by January 1, 2008.

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 mandated that the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, develop and implement a plan to require U.S. citizens and foreign nationals to present a passport, or other secure document when entering the United States.

In the proposed implementation plan, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.
In April 2005, the Departments of State (State) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a proposed plan to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After further review and considering the delay in publishing the public notice in the Federal Register, State and DHS recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005, phase would be problematic for travelers. This new timeline will simplify the implementation and provide a longer lead-time for travelers to come into compliance with the requirements.

As previously noted, the passport will be the document of choice for travel within the Western Hemisphere or re-entry. However, another document that we anticipate will be acceptable under the travel initiative is the Border Crossing Card, (BCC – or “laser visa”). Currently, the BCC serves in lieu of a passport and a visa for citizens of Mexico traveling to the U.S. from contiguous territory. Other documents that we are considering for acceptance under this initiative are the Customs and Border Protection Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI), NEXUS and Free and Secure Trade (FAST) program cards.

No currently existing documents other than the BCC, SENTRI, NEXUS or FAST cards are under active consideration as substitutes for the passport. However, DHS and State are reviewing new technological developments regarding options for secure travel documents. Acceptable documents must establish the citizenship and identity of the bearer, and include significant security features. Ultimately, all documents used for travel to the U.S. are expected to include biometrics that can be used to authenticate the document and verify identity.

To provide vital information to the general public, the Departments of Homeland Security and State are issuing an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) on the plan to the public and requesting input and/or comment on the suggested documents and possible alternative documents that can meet the statutory requirements. A more formal rulemaking will be issued later this year following review of those comments to implement the first phase of the initiative. This rulemaking will take into account comments received from the ANPRM as well as soliciting further comments on the rulemaking itself.

Those wishing to comment on the proposal may access the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal at http://www.regulations.gov and follow the instructions for submitting comments.

For more information, visit www.dhs.gov or www.travel.state.gov.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAN I GO CAN I GO?????? Any extra room in luggage???? I am already jonesing from last week.....and it's close to my birthday too!!!!

Tenorsinging said:
CAN I GO CAN I GO?????? Any extra room in luggage???? I am already jonesing from last week.....and it's close to my birthday too!!!!

Wow, I feel like we've just had a DIS celebrity drop by on our little thread! Hi Tenor! :wave:

Tenorsinging said:
HOWDY TO YER FACES!!!!!!! :wave2: :lovestruc

Now....pleeeezzzzeeee can I go????? :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :cheer2: :wizard:
Oh for the love of Tom Ford....leave these nice people alone!!

Sorry for the interruption...MEN IN WHITE COATS...she's in the Jan 7th thread!

I found one other thread in November 2005. We are going: Chris- 39, Yvonne - 43 and daughter Nicolle - 13. Can't wait! ::MickeyMo

all414all said:
Also, To MyLove4Disney--I noticed we're nearly neighbors! I'm across the causeway in Sacramento and used to work in Davis.

Pam, I was just re reading all the post getting my fix for the curise again and noticed your post here, so sorry I didn't reply sooner.

This is so kooooll we are neighbors. We are leaving on the 2 and staying at Port Orleans Riverside AKA Dixielandings. I currently work in Davis myself 22 years now. the local government.

We should meet up either prior or at least during the cruise time.
My DD and I have done WDW many times in Feb and weather in FL has always been great, so not sure about a month earlier, but you know the weather this year has been wierd everywhere, look we are setting records here for high temps. It was almost t-shirt and shorts weather yesterday here.

Anyways I have read on other Threads about big groups of DIS'er meeting up this would be great. We could start the trend for our cruise.

Let us know. only 49 days left Yahoo!!!!! :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

Last time we met other dis board families on the top deck during the cast off party. All our kids were blowing bubble so we could tell who we were. My kids thought the music at the party area was too loud, so it was really nice to be up on the deck by the basketball court and wave goodbye to all the people on shore. Anyone up for bubbles during cast off? ::MinnieMo

That sounds like fun. Last cruise, I met bunch of DIS'ers in one of the bars (Diversions I think?) on the first day at sea and we also had a cocktail party before dinner one night in the Roy Suite.

Griffin33 said:
That sounds like fun. Last cruise, I met bunch of DIS'ers in one of the bars (Diversions I think?) on the first day at sea and we also had a cocktail party before dinner one night in the Roy Suite.

Hey Griffin33
Wow they had a party in the Roy Disney Suite, that would be sweet. :rolleyes1 If I had the suite or the Walt Suite with the Piano, I sure would have a party, but alas we are in a cat 12 gty, In hopes of an upgrade to at least a 10...

So if anyone is in the Roy or Walt Suites. I would love to at least see them, may be you wouldn't mind giving a tour some afternoon on a sea day.

So anyways groups maybe bubble, tshirt colors or some type of special cruise logo signs. Lets make this a great trip for having fun and meeting great new Disney Fans friends.

MyLove4Disney said:
So if anyone is in the Roy or Walt Suites. I would love to at least see them, may be you wouldn't mind giving a tour some afternoon on a sea day.

I'm sure we can arrange a tour for you. :) Maybe we'll do the party again too since it was certainly fun to host.

DW is going scuba diving on both St. Maarten and St. Thomas and would like to know if there are any other divers on the trip. She's especially interesed in learning if any one had done the dives before. ( I'll be taking DD4 to the Butterfly Farm and Coki Beach).

BTW, Griffen33, I sent a request to DCL for a scotch tasting for our cruise. If they don't come through, I'm bringing my single malt sampler with. How about Diversions Sunday or Monday ?

WiscBill said:
BTW, Griffen33, I sent a request to DCL for a scotch tasting for our cruise. If they don't come through, I'm bringing my single malt sampler with. How about Diversions Sunday or Monday ?

Count me in for that! Y'know what goes well with a scotch tasting, don't you? A low stakes friendly neighborhood poker game. I wonder if we could put one of those together...

hello all!

i'm Mylove4disney's DD who will be turning 21 and celebrating her 21st bday on the cruise...i'm for any of the tastings...hehe...

have a magical day!

~monica

Hello again guys!

Sorry I haven't been posting much-but busy with the holidays!

So has anyone with a GTY status gotten a room assignment yet? We are still waiting here-should be anyday though (I think).

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day, and hope you didn't shop too much today!

Well off to work I go!

Take care all
Dan

dan and scott said:
Hello again guys!

Sorry I haven't been posting much-but busy with the holidays!

So has anyone with a GTY status gotten a room assignment yet? We are still waiting here-should be anyday though (I think).

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day, and hope you didn't shop too much today!

Well off to work I go!

Take care all
Dan

Hey Dan no update for us either haven't received anything nor is there anything posted on my reservations online.

Say is anyone else doing all the Palo dinning events.
our schedule is as follows,
Brunch Monday at 10:30
High Tea Thursday at 3:00 not sure about this but what-the-heck
Dinner Friday at 8:30 I know it is the last night but seemed to be the best night as there were no other special events going on.

I hope others of you out there are doing the same and we can meet up and get to know each other.

Well we are really getting excited now 45 days :Pinkbounc

Hello and welcome Princess Yvonne :wave2: .We are very happy to see that your daughter Nicolle is a young teen. (our daughter Emily is also 13 ::MinnieMo ).We were somewhat concerned that since school was in session that most of the children would be of the pre-school age.
Where has all the time gone? We haven't posted since the end of May,but are very excited that our trip is only a month away.We will be arriving at the parks a day before New Years eve then driving over to the Port for the cruise.So this should be the trip of a lifetime. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter