January 4, 2014 Fantasy, Trust, and Pixie Dust!

Hey everyone, new question:

We are currently set up with an early/main dining time. We are a group of 4 adults. I know that most families choose the early dining time and I am now in charge of doing research for the group to see if we should switch or not. Anyone want to tell me the pros/cons of each dining time? On my princess cruises we did early dining and ncl is always anytime dining... Just need some suggestions.

We're doing early dining because of my then 6 year old granddaughter. With 4 adults I would think late dining would be better. Especially since our ports are relaxing days and you wouldn't have to rush back to get ready for early dining and there's no need to rush to the port early to get in a full day of sightseeing.

Disneylandfanatic said:

We are currently set up with an early/main dining time. We are a group of 4 adults. I know that most families choose the early dining time and I am now in charge of doing research for the group to see if we should switch or not. Anyone want to tell me the pros/cons of each dining time? On my princess cruises we did early dining and ncl is always anytime dining... Just need some suggestions.

Hard call. If you are a night owl/late person then I'd choose late dining. If you get sleepy and pooped out by 9 like I do I'd choose early.

luv2sleep said:
I will be doing door decorations but not the main FE. I hear the ship is huge and just 20 cabins on the Wonder took us an hour+. My kid can only last so long. I'd love to do a small group for just a few kids though if anyone is interested. We just can't handle a lot of cabins. I don't like to throw him into the kids club to deliver FEs. I like to use my kids club time for places he can't go like the spa and other adult venues.

We've signed up to be part of the main FE but really don't want to have a 100 gifts to deliver! Is it possible to make a few smaller groups? As long as my girls get a little something every day they'll be perfectly happy! This is our first cruise and of course first FE so I have no idea how they usually work. I've just seen posts about big FEs and it does seem overwhelming from a timing and cost perspective.

Thank for the ideas on the dining... Keep em coming!!

As far as FE goes, I believe we had decided to divide into groups of no more than twenty... Or so, there is no way we would do 100 cabins! We will no more about group numbers closer to the cruise when we set up the list and divide the groups.

As far as FE goes, I believe we had decided to divide into groups of no more than twenty... Or so, there is no way we would do 100 cabins! We will no more about group numbers closer to the cruise when we set up the list and divide the groups.

I'm pretty sure my son and daughter-in-law would love to be in a smaller group, too.

Pr1ncess said:
We've signed up to be part of the main FE but really don't want to have a 100 gifts to deliver! Is it possible to make a few smaller groups? As long as my girls get a little something every day they'll be perfectly happy! This is our first cruise and of course first FE so I have no idea how they usually work. I've just seen posts about big FEs and it does seem overwhelming from a timing and cost perspective.

I would love to do a small exchange with just one or two (or a handful of) families for just the kids. If that doesn't happen I plan to just get little surprises to put in our FE every day to surprise my son. This will be his third cruise and we've spent 21 nights at sea already so he's going to be expecting it. Let me know if you are interested. My son doesn't care how many things he gets. He just gets exciting seeing something every day.

Disneylandfanatic said:

Yay, that sounds perfect!!! Now I'm excited instead of stressed. :)

Pr1ncess said:
Yay, that sounds perfect!!! Now I'm excited instead of stressed. :)

Each FE I've done has stressed me out immensely and each time I only had 20 cabins. There were ppl on my last cruise meet who felt the more the merrier and loved making things for and delivering to over 60 cabins. They were mostly people without small kids though. I guess you've gotta have the personality for it. I only did a candy and post card exchange and that was stressful, lol. I'm an FE wimp for sure. Just not my thing I guess.

I agree, my girlfriend was concerned about having a ton of people to "deliver" to.

For those that have to fly, when are you purchasing your airfare? I'm booking virgin america out of LAX. I think the fares should be coming out soon. They are pretty cheap when they come out. Usually less than $400 pp RT for a nonstop flight.

Hi Disneylandfanatic,
On our January cruise, someone from the Facebook page came with the idea of sharing a table with adults only.
We ended being 5 couples at one table and we made great friends !
We were on the second seating, which proved great to us , as we could go and see the show at 6.15, go change clothes, for a drink and be on time for the 8.15 seating. Furthermore, this would give the opportunity to get to the 10.30 or 11 adults-only entertainment in Europa.
We are hoping to be able to set up something similar for this cruise.

For those that have to fly, when are you purchasing your airfare? I'm booking virgin america out of LAX. I think the fares should be coming out soon. They are pretty cheap when they come out. Usually less than $400 pp RT for a nonstop flight.

The Dec. 31st flights just opened up, but the return on Jan. 11 are still closed. I'm looking at United or American since they've got good timing for us out of LAX and the prices seem pretty good. Will book when the return flights open up. Is Virgin Atlantic on the Disney preferred list?

BonnieJG said:
The Dec. 31st flights just opened up, but the return on Jan. 11 are still closed. I'm looking at United or American since they've got good timing for us out of LAX and the prices seem pretty good. Will book when the return flights open up. Is Virgin Atlantic on the Disney preferred list?

I have no idea if they are or not. They are on my preferred list though, lol. I love the in flight entertainment and the ability to other decent food from your seat. Perfect with a child. He's going to be so entertained he won't complain. Also, their customer service is fantastic. I'd never had it so good in coach before!!!

I was just looking into flights... I am expecting in the next month or two they will open up past January and I will keep my eye out for good prices!

Has anyone ever had problems getting seats together on virgin? My friend said she had a hard time on her New York trip.

I have never flown virgin but if the price is right I will be glad to try them... I have heard good things (from all of you guys). Really would like a nonstop flight!

Disneylandfanatic said:
Has anyone ever had problems getting seats together on virgin? My friend said she had a hard time on her New York trip.

I have never flown virgin but if the price is right I will be glad to try them... I have heard good things (from all of you guys). Really would like a nonstop flight!

Absolutely not if you are booking early. How far out was she trying to book? When we went to Maui I booked 4 mos out and could not get a seat with my then 4 yo. I had to BEG at the gate. It was horrible. I'll never book anything but Southwest last minute again.

Disneylandfanatic said:

Also I booked VA at the last minute a month out in early December from LAX to Philadelphia and the plane was practically empty both ways.

Ok, it must have been the way she booked (through book it or something) so she wasn't able to pick her seat til the day before. But if we book early and I see seats together than we are guaranteed those seats?

Also on August 10th the giants game is giving out two for one Virgin vouchers..... I wonder If it will be worth it to wait and go to the game and use the voucher (not sure of the restrictions) to book or just book earlier when I find a good price. We are huge giants fans and go to a lot of the games so I wouldn't factor that ticket price in offsetting the plane ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter