• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

JANUARY 2017!! **CHECK IN!!

Hi, taking my first solo trip ( and a really short one)- arriving 1/5 at around 7 am and leaving 1/7 at noon- just two days in the parks but, want to see the Christmas stuff....

I'd love to hear what everyone's favorite sit-down restaurant is, either in DL or CA?? We have a big family so eating at restaurants in the park is really expensive, we'll probably just do it once. The hard part is choosing which one!
We did Fantasmic Dinner @ in DL: Blue Bayou last visit & truly loved it! Also eaten at Plazza Inn x2-enjoyed chicken I had heard so much about.

DownTown Disney: Loved Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen-still dreaming about Beignets!!

We haven't really done many sit down in DCA, considering trying it this time-usually grab quick service from Pacific Warf or Corn Dog. However we did princess lunch at Ariel's Grotto & I really enjoyed that!

Others we've eaten at that were good: DTD: tortilla Joesx2 (Average but enjoyed), Rain Forest Cafe (Below Average), Goody's Kitchen (kids loved it, I thought ok) Catal (good, but not super memorable), Flo's cafe (average-might be generous on that one)

We've ridden ART to Garden walk and eaten at Bubba Gumps Shrimp-it was really good, also did Cheese Cake Factory-which is always amazing!!

I would like to try some new amazing *places to make reservations* this Trip too! If anyone has suggestions?

Last edited:
Has anyone seen news on which rides will be down during January? I know ToT will be down before we go, which is a bummer. Anything else for sure yet?

Also, I'd love to hear what everyone's favorite sit-down restaurant is, either in DL or CA?? We have a big family so eating at restaurants in the park is really expensive, we'll probably just do it once. The hard part is choosing which one!

On our last trip a few weeks ago we did a few TS places for the first time that we enjoyed.

1. Blue Bayou-nothing beats the atmosphere. It is dark in there though which I had figured but I had also underestimated. It is a little weird not to be able to see your food that well. I had the Monte Cristo which and gumbo which were both very good. We had a lot of fun eating in Pirates and sitting by the water and watching the boats go by. I would call and make sure that a party so large could be accommodated by the water though since the water side tables are very small and I felt a bit squeezed with just my self, my 13 year old, my 6 year old niece and my 9 year old nephew. The kids got a real kick out of it and they loved their light up drinks in the dark but it was also a very long meal-longer than they were prepared to sit there for sure. It was also about about 130 for the 4 of us for lunch which, though I knew it would be high seemed a bit over the top for 2 monte cristos and 1 kids mac and cheese and 1 kids strip loin and 4 lemonaids. Also that was supposed to be with my AP discount but it was so dark in there that it was hard to see and looking back I am not sure it was applied like it should have been.

2.Carthay circle-fabulous service and tasty food with very lovely 20's hollywood glamor meets Disney history sort of a motif. My son and I both had the burgers which were very good. My nephew the mini tacos-which he said were delicious but they were a very small portion and he was still hungry after. My niece got the Rice Penne with marinara (she had a lot of food allergies hence the rice pasta). Everyone really enjoyed their meals and they got a kick out of the fanciness-My kids giggles when the host put the napkins on their laps for them and, being very young kids who are usually left home while the adults enjoy fine dining, they got a kick out of the finery of the decor and formal behavior of the servers who called them sir and madam. I also had a specialty cocktail called the poison appletini that was delicious and came with a glowing poison apple in it which was fun. The bill was less there than the BB despite it being finer dining and me getting a cocktail but maybe they just applied my AP discount while BB didn't. our lunch was 85 which is more in line with my expectations for lunch for my and 3 kids.

Carthay circle-fabulous service and tasty food with very lovely 20's hollywood glamor meets Disney history sort of a motif. My son and I both had the burgers which were very good. My nephew the mini tacos-which he said were delicious but they were a very small portion and he was still hungry after. My niece got the Rice Penne with marinara (she had a lot of food allergies hence the rice pasta). Everyone really enjoyed their meals and they got a kick out of the fanciness-My kids giggles when the host put the napkins on their laps for them and, being very young kids who are usually left home while the adults enjoy fine dining, they got a kick out of the finery of the decor and formal behavior of the servers who called them sir and madam. I also had a specialty cocktail called the poison appletini that was delicious and came with a glowing poison apple in it which was fun. The bill was less there than the BB despite it being finer dining and me getting a cocktail but maybe they just applied my AP discount while BB didn't. our lunch was 85 which is more in line with my expectations for lunch for my and 3 kids.
Did you feel you had to dress nicer than normal vacation disney attire for Carthay Circle? We have not eaten there yet, sounds delish! Is this WOC place too? I'm not sure if WOC will be going when we are there JAN 19-22 but maybe if we are lucky!

Did you feel you had to dress nicer than normal vacation disney attire for Carthay Circle? We have not eaten there yet, sounds delish! Is this WOC place too? I'm not sure if WOC will be going when we are there JAN 19-22 but maybe if we are lucky!

No we were in our regular park attire which was shorts and tee shirts or tank tops since it was 92 degrees that day. Most everyone was also. I have heard some people say that for those prices they wish that is was dressier but I dont want to have to change for lunch and I want to feel like I can go back to enjoy the park comfortably after lunch.

It is a WOC place and we were actually there for a WOC lunch, but we ended up having just a regular lunch and paying less than WOC prices since the waiter made a mistake. He served us from the regular menu and didn't have us order starters or desserts which was part of the WOC prix fixe menu (the prix fixe meal is 3 courses at 44 for adults and 23 for kids and the menu is basically the same as regular lunch or dinner except that you must have 3 courses) so we got our WOC tickets with just a regular lunch. It was actually perfect for us and a wonderful surprise because my kids cant eat 3 courses and they never finished an entire meal at any TS places the whole week we were there and we ate leftovers the next day in the hotel after every TS meal. My nephew was the only one to finish his lunch and not have left overs for the 1 course with bread service Carthay lunch. Even with only 1 course the rest of us had left overs.

This was our first time eating at Carthay because we wanted the WOC prefered viewing area tickets but we felt disappointed by Ariels Grotto on our last few WOC dinners there. Ariels is cheaper for WOC dinner but I didnt like the food and neither did my son-several years ago we thought it was great but it wasn't very good a year ago and was down right bad last March. I decided that I was willing to pay more to enjoy my food (Our dissatisfaction with Ariels might be because they set the bar too high on our first few meals there, then they changed the menu and we felt it went down down down. You can't set the bar super high and then change the menu and expect people to feel the same about it). Carthay WOC lunch is cheaper than WOC dinner so that was why we went for lunch rather than dinner and it gave us more time to swim in the afternoons and get to the Carthay viewing line in a leisurely way without having to eat dinner too early when we aren't hungry yet.

Looking for some help from the January peeps who know LA/ LAX good .
I need some advise in getting to/from LAX to Disneys Grand Californian. Not sure the best way to do this yet .........
Our travel times are on Saturdays in January 2017 . We arrive on a Saturday around noon into LAX , and will depart LAX the following Saturday around 1pm .
Dont really think we need a car, but are thinking about driving out to the coast to check it out . Also, we are staying on our points at GCV , so there will be no parking fee at the resort for us. Have a rental car reserved for the week for $235.

Not sure if we want to rent a car , or hire a car service (like Lanskys) to get to and from LAX ? Want to rent a car so we have "wheels" if we want to venture outside Disney , but LA traffic ......... ! Car service is about $210 round trip, plus some tip .
How is the drive from LAX to Disneyland on a Saturday about 1 pm or so ?
How about if we have a flight on Saturday that departs LAX at 1pm . When would we need to leave the Disney Resort ? (I am thinking like 9-10 am ?) .

What are the approximate drive times like, LAX - Disneyland both ways on a Saturday late morning / early afternoon , both best and worst case ?

Any help would be appreciated !!! Not sure if we want to rent a car from LAX for the convenience , or just hire a car service for less stress ???

Thanks !

No we were in our regular park attire which was shorts and tee shirts or tank tops since it was 92 degrees that day. Most everyone was also. I have heard some people say that for those prices they wish that is was dressier but I dont want to have to change for lunch and I want to feel like I can go back to enjoy the park comfortably after lunch.

It is a WOC place and we were actually there for a WOC lunch, but we ended up having just a regular lunch and paying less than WOC prices since the waiter made a mistake. He served us from the regular menu and didn't have us order starters or desserts which was part of the WOC prix fixe menu (the prix fixe meal is 3 courses at 44 for adults and 23 for kids and the menu is basically the same as regular lunch or dinner except that you must have 3 courses) so we got our WOC tickets with just a regular lunch. It was actually perfect for us and a wonderful surprise because my kids cant eat 3 courses and they never finished an entire meal at any TS places the whole week we were there and we ate leftovers the next day in the hotel after every TS meal. My nephew was the only one to finish his lunch and not have left overs for the 1 course with bread service Carthay lunch. Even with only 1 course the rest of us had left overs.

This was our first time eating at Carthay because we wanted the WOC prefered viewing area tickets but we felt disappointed by Ariels Grotto on our last few WOC dinners there. Ariels is cheaper for WOC dinner but I didnt like the food and neither did my son-several years ago we thought it was great but it wasn't very good a year ago and was down right bad last March. I decided that I was willing to pay more to enjoy my food (Our dissatisfaction with Ariels might be because they set the bar too high on our first few meals there, then they changed the menu and we felt it went down down down. You can't set the bar super high and then change the menu and expect people to feel the same about it). Carthay WOC lunch is cheaper than WOC dinner so that was why we went for lunch rather than dinner and it gave us more time to swim in the afternoons and get to the Carthay viewing line in a leisurely way without having to eat dinner too early when we aren't hungry yet.
Thank you for this info! Super great! Carthay sounds like a really good fit and option for us, and may look at lunch as well. I'm totally with you-how food tastes is most important to me. Hate spending small fortune, only to be disappointed, especially on vacation. I'm hoping WOC will still be going when we are there :)

Looking for some help from the January peeps who know LA/ LAX good .
I need some advise in getting to/from LAX to Disneys Grand Californian. Not sure the best way to do this yet .........
Our travel times are on Saturdays in January 2017 . We arrive on a Saturday around noon into LAX , and will depart LAX the following Saturday around 1pm .
Dont really think we need a car, but are thinking about driving out to the coast to check it out . Also, we are staying on our points at GCV , so there will be no parking fee at the resort for us. Have a rental car reserved for the week for $235.

Not sure if we want to rent a car , or hire a car service (like Lanskys) to get to and from LAX ? Want to rent a car so we have "wheels" if we want to venture outside Disney , but LA traffic ......... ! Car service is about $210 round trip, plus some tip .
How is the drive from LAX to Disneyland on a Saturday about 1 pm or so ?
How about if we have a flight on Saturday that departs LAX at 1pm . When would we need to leave the Disney Resort ? (I am thinking like 9-10 am ?) .

What are the approximate drive times like, LAX - Disneyland both ways on a Saturday late morning / early afternoon , both best and worst case ?

Any help would be appreciated !!! Not sure if we want to rent a car from LAX for the convenience , or just hire a car service for less stress ???

Thanks !
We've only flown into LAX once when going to disney (so not an expert) but we did reserve ahead of time a shuttle with Prime Time and have used same shuttle service 2 more times from SNA (closer to disney). Was happy with service, timing etc and plan to use again for our retuning trip-always use coupon from OC.

As far as timing there is always more traffic coming to/from LAX it's about 50min without traffic-so as far as timing I would always expect heavy traffic. Probably give 1.5+ hrs from when you hope to be there.

LAX much larger airport too, so it takes more time getting bags and getting out of there too, and same when checking in, also things to take into consideration. Hope this helps! :)

Just booked PP today for a girl's weekend January 28 - 30. I'm an AP and live close so this is really for my friend who comes from Oregon. We've done this for years, no husbands, no kids. It's great fun. January after the runs and holidays are a great time to go. It does get cold at night (and yes us locals think that we're gonna freeze to death even though it's typically about 55 or 60). The days should be fairly nice and warm for non-locals who are trying to get away from the real winter weather (i'm originally from Seattle) I'm sad that Tower of Terror will be gone by the time we go..... But we'll make the best of it as we always do.

I'm sad that Tower of Terror will be gone by the time we go..... But we'll make the best of it as we always do.
I've never ridden TOT but my oldest (12 now) loves it & was disappointed too when I told her it would be down. 2 years ago there was a huge list of refurbs, hoping it won't be quite like that. We managed to skip Train being down-but I understand the train is out of commission right now-that part will be very weird, one of my favorite things in the park.8-)

Has anyone heard anything about Lunar New Year in 2017? We will be there for my daughter's 5th birthday from the 25-28, heading home on the 29th. But from previous years, it looks like the Lunar New Year started on a Sunday. If it is going to do that this coming year (start on the 29), then I would plan for an extra day so we could see it.

Has anyone heard anything about Lunar New Year in 2017? We will be there for my daughter's 5th birthday from the 25-28, heading home on the 29th. But from previous years, it looks like the Lunar New Year started on a Sunday. If it is going to do that this coming year (start on the 29), then I would plan for an extra day so we could see it.
It doesn't look like its schedule is out yet-sounds like they are backed up (more late than normal) on even holiday schedules. I did find this info in reference to last years dates if that helps.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...eturns-to-disney-california-adventure-park-3/

I'm starting to wonder when the calendar will reach January. I am just a few days from my dining reservations and we still dont have calendars for entertainment which makes it hard to plan in park meals.

I am still dying to know if PTN will be showing when we are there or if it will be on weekends only, or if it will be gone entirely with the new year. I'd reserve a dining package for it for sure-but I cant do that unless its still there and having weeknight parades the week following new years which it starting to feel like a pipe dream. Argh why can they just post the calendars 60 days out.

I'm starting to wonder when the calendar will reach January. I am just a few days from my dining reservations and we still dont have calendars for entertainment which makes it hard to plan in park meals.

I am still dying to know if PTN will be showing when we are there or if it will be on weekends only, or if it will be gone entirely with the new year. I'd reserve a dining package for it for sure-but I cant do that unless its still there and having weeknight parades the week following new years which it starting to feel like a pipe dream. Argh why can they just post the calendars 60 days out.
I've been reading others in NOV have PTN or dessert party reservations but no official schedule. Maybe try to make reservations anyhow and then see if times or plans are adjusted when schedule becomes Concreate. One poster referenced being 11 days away and parts of schedule not posted-so definitely behind. I'm more surprised we haven't read about any JAN upcoming refurbs at this point....almost eery! :badpc:

Yay! I have been waiting for this thread. We will be there December 31-January 4th. We are in town for a wedding on the 30th and couldn't resist adding some time at DLR. We're staying at the Desert Inn.

Ok well I just read the Pixar parade is doing its last show...
So maybe (cross our fingers) it will be replaced with something new & soon for us JAN travelers
https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/...d-resort/8478049-pixar-play-parade-final-show

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter