JANUARY 2017!! **CHECK IN!!

Awesome! Welcome to the thread! Being at the Rose Bowl sounds amazing! We've always stayed off site too-usually taking advantage of hotel points.
We've stayed at:
Carousel Inn & Suites
Embassy Suites South
Double Tree Suites
Upcoming Trip:
Embassy Suites Anaheim Orange

We will rent a car (got an SUV from Avis for Mon-Sun for about 280.00, used coupon from entertainment book online) but Not while we are at the Disney part of our trip.

We ride the ART while going to/from Disneyland parks. Had great success with it in past. Then pick up car day we leave to drive to San Diego for 2nd leg of our trip. :)
We're renting a SUV thru Costco for 7 days for $280. I'm a little nervous about LA traffic. We haven't decided exactly what we're doing/seeing from 12/29 (get in at 1pm) thru 12/31.

This will be my second Disneyland trip but first for my kids. Excited but nervous...traveling with my mom and sister and no hubby. Plus we'll be dealing with a 3 hour time difference (I know it could be worse!). Trying to take a laid back approach to our planning since it will be the holidays and crowded every where we go!

Sign us up for the January 2017 list !

First time visiting "The park that Walt built" , but we have been to WDW countless times .
Very excited to see where it all started .

We will be staying at Grand California Villas in a 1 bedroom villa.
January 21-28 , 2017 .

Flying into LAX via Southwest from Baltimore .......now just hoping the January east coast weather doesn't hamper our travel plans ! Will prob book Lansky car service to GCV , as I dont feel like dealing with driving in LA !

Just a bit nervous about any attraction rehabs or closures coming for January.
Keep hearing small and very vague rumors that POTC may have an upcoming rehab , and January would be the time frame . We really hope this isnt true , as we are SO looking forward to see how POTC differs in DL, vs WDW . I have heard so many good things about the DL POTC ! Would be a major downer for us .

Sign us up for the January 2017 list !

First time visiting "The park that Walt built" , but we have been to WDW countless times .
Very excited to see where it all started .

We will be staying at Grand California Villas in a 1 bedroom villa.
January 21-28 , 2017 .

Flying into LAX via Southwest from Baltimore .......now just hoping the January east coast weather doesn't hamper our travel plans ! Will prob book Lansky car service to GCV , as I dont feel like dealing with driving in LA !

Just a bit nervous about any attraction rehabs or closures coming for January.
Keep hearing small and very vague rumors that POTC may have an upcoming rehab , and January would be the time frame . We really hope this isnt true , as we are SO looking forward to see how POTC differs in DL, vs WDW . I have heard so many good things about the DL POTC ! Would be a major downer for us .
Welcome! Love your Disney name!! I too am going to be watching closely any news on refurbs! Not that I will adjust my plans, but like to know ahead of time. Crossing fingers too that PIRATES won't be closed.

We just returned from Fall Break, but we are going to to be returning January 3-5th to catch the end of the Holiday Season while our son is still on Winter Break! We are at the Tropicana for now, but hoping for a AP rate so we can stay on property...

Mike

Last edited:

I was wondering when someone would make the January 2017 thread.

My fiancée and I will be be staying at the Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites from 1/8 until 1/13 for our honeymoon. I figure four days is enough time to get our fill of both parks.

I've been waiting for a thread to start too! :-)

We're surprising the kids with our trip down in January. We'll be flying in on Jan 25, flying home on the 31st. I think we'll be spending 5 days in the parks.

Has anybody ever stayed at a hotel that's REALLY offsite? My husband works for Hilton so he gets very low employee rates, but because we're booking this trip only 3 months out the Hilton hotels near DL are booked. I booked the closest one, which is just under 10 miles away. We're renting a car so getting back and forth isn't that big of a deal, but I'm a little nervous. We've only ever stayed within walking distance! We can always cancel if I change my mind but we're looking at $35/night at this hotel which is WAY less than anything we'd pay close to the gates with our family of 7... Any thoughts on this?

We're surprising the kids with our trip down in January. We'll be flying in on Jan 25, flying home on the 31st. I think we'll be spending 5 days in the parks.

Has anybody ever stayed at a hotel that's REALLY offsite? My husband works for Hilton so he gets very low employee rates, but because we're booking this trip only 3 months out the Hilton hotels near DL are booked. I booked the closest one, which is just under 10 miles away. We're renting a car so getting back and forth isn't that big of a deal, but I'm a little nervous. We've only ever stayed within walking distance! We can always cancel if I change my mind but we're looking at $35/night at this hotel which is WAY less than anything we'd pay close to the gates with our family of 7... Any thoughts on this?
We are Hilton Honors members too & staying on points also! We are staying at Embassy Suites Orange 2.4miles away....further than I normally would stay but not too far. Bonus is they have 2 pools indoor & outdoor (in case cooler weather):fish:

I'm sure as long as you don't mind the extra time to drive to & from it won't be a big deal at all. Saving money is always a good thing in such a big trip! :moped:
Which hotel are you thinking of staying at?

Last edited:

I was wondering when someone would make the January 2017 thread.

My fiancée and I will be be staying at the Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites from 1/8 until 1/13 for our honeymoon. I figure four days is enough time to get our fill of both parks.
Yay! Welcome & congrats! Honeymoon that's very awesome!! :love:

I have never stayed that far away but for that price I would. Since your driving in each day you'll want to arrive very early and avoid some of the strain and frustration that parking causes. If it were me I'd arrive just over an hour before rope drop-that way you should have issues getting rerouted to a different parking structure na driving around for a long time wasting your time. You obviously aren't going to be doing mid day breaks so plan several long evenings at the hotel to swim and relax so you dont get overdone and tired and cranky. I would plan to do DL parades and fireworks one night-make them a priority for the evening or get a preferred viewing package-then a night off from the parks and return to the hotel around 3 or 4-then the next night do world of color-then the next a long evening break. Mid day you could take an in-park minibreak by watching great moments with Mr. Lincoln if you batteries are running low from being up so early.

There isn't much midweek night time entertainment in January so You should be able to do that in just a couple of nights if you decide to do all early morningns to avoid parking issues.

We are Hilton Honors members too & staying on points also! We are staying at Embassy Suites Orange 2.4miles away....further than I normally would stay but not too far. Bonus is they have 2 pools indoor & outdoor (in case cooler weather):fish:

I'm sure as long as you don't mind the extra time to drive to & from it won't be a big deal at all. Saving money is always a good thing in such a big trip! :moped:
Which hotel are you thinking of staying at?

We almost booked at the Embassy Suites Orange but were too slow! We took a day to debate it and when we went back to reserve, the employee rates were no longer available. I keep checking back to see if anything else (closer) comes up... Right now we're booked at the Hilton Garden Inn Irvine.

I have never stayed that far away but for that price I would. Since your driving in each day you'll want to arrive very early and avoid some of the strain and frustration that parking causes. If it were me I'd arrive just over an hour before rope drop-that way you should have issues getting rerouted to a different parking structure na driving around for a long time wasting your time. You obviously aren't going to be doing mid day breaks so plan several long evenings at the hotel to swim and relax so you dont get overdone and tired and cranky. I would plan to do DL parades and fireworks one night-make them a priority for the evening or get a preferred viewing package-then a night off from the parks and return to the hotel around 3 or 4-then the next night do world of color-then the next a long evening break. Mid day you could take an in-park minibreak by watching great moments with Mr. Lincoln if you batteries are running low from being up so early.

There isn't much midweek night time entertainment in January so You should be able to do that in just a couple of nights if you decide to do all early morningns to avoid parking issues.

Good advice - thank you! We've never dealt with parking there so that's not something I'd thought of. Even when we stay near DL, we don't typically go back to the hotel for a break... maybe once or twice during our stay. But I figured if we needed a break, we could leave the park for lunch or something just to decompress a little (walking to DTD or a restaurant on Harbor Blvd maybe). You make a good point though - leaving early a night or two isn't a bad idea just so we don't burn out.

:lovestruc
How Exciting!!! Where will you be staying? Do you have anything special planned?
We're staying at the new Homewood Suites and are considering doing one of the non-Disney tours. I'd love to hear tour recommendations from others. We did the one day Hollywood/Walt Disney Studios tour several years ago when Adventures by Disney had it.

We're staying at the new Homewood Suites and are considering doing one of the non-Disney tours. I'd love to hear tour recommendations from others. We did the one day Hollywood/Walt Disney Studios tour several years ago when Adventures by Disney had it.
Definitely need to make some fun dinner reservations! Maybe Blue Bayou, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen? We loved both! Never done the tour, but I've ready good reviews of them! Are you renting a car while there?

We almost booked at the Embassy Suites Orange but were too slow! We took a day to debate it and when we went back to reserve, the employee rates were no longer available. I keep checking back to see if anything else (closer) comes up... Right now we're booked at the Hilton Garden Inn Irvine.

Irvine is a bit away...have you looked at new Homewood Suites near disney...I'm showing they have availability during your dates (not sure about the employee thing).

Not sure if you have reason to choose Irvine, but if I were to stay that far away I would choose to stay near Huntington Beach (similar distance as Irvine) and enjoy beach & Disney. There is a Hilton property there too Hilton Waterfront Resort 21100
Pacific Coast Hwy, Huntington Beach, CA 92648-5307. Just options for you. :flower1:

Definitely need to make some fun dinner reservations! Maybe Blue Bayou, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen? We loved both! Never done the tour, but I've ready good reviews of them! Are you renting a car while there?
We'll have a car and I'm sure we'll go somewhere special to eat...wish it could be Club 33. ☺

Gotta say it's really weird not having to do much planning at all for DL versus WDW. Kinda of makes me nervous but happy as hell not wear magic bands and go back to the the FP system!

Gotta say it's really weird not having to do much planning at all for DL versus WDW. Kinda of makes me nervous but happy as hell not wear magic bands and go back to the the FP system!

Dont get your hopes up too much about going back to the old paper FP system ............... looks like changes are coming very soon !

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/break...ill-launch-digital-fastpass-service-november/
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/10/break...ill-launch-digital-fastpass-service-november/
Our very first trip to DL is this January , ( probably be our ONLY trip to DL ) , and was SO looking forward to taking a break from FP+ . Well of coarse , looks like things may be changing only a few months before our "once in a lifetime trip" ............. happy,happy -Joy,joy (insert sarcasm :rolleyes: ) .

Went through the FP+ debut nightmare at WDW a few times , and dont care to go through that again !

Lets hope this goes on the back burner for DL !

Dont get your hopes up too much about going back to the old paper FP system ............... looks like changes are coming very soon !

Our very first trip to DL is this January , ( probably be our ONLY trip to DL ) , and was SO looking forward to taking a break from FP+ . Well of coarse , looks like things may be changing only a few months before our "once in a lifetime trip" ............. happy,happy -Joy,joy (insert sarcasm :rolleyes: ) .

Went through the FP+ debut nightmare at WDW a few times , and dont care to go through that again !

Lets hope this goes on the back burner for DL !

Since DL does not offer free WIFI to utilize the app while in the park, and the app has issues and doesn't work that well in the park now for things as simple as photopass I seriously see this not working. Think about how frustrating it is to login to the pier network WIFI to play the fun wheel challenge while waiting for WOC. Neither I nor anyone around me was able to log in and play a few weeks ago. there attempt to have people at DL log in to a wireless program while in the park sucks. Everyone will complain-it will be essentially inaccessible to people without unlimited data plans, seniors/anyone on a fixed income or uncomfortable with higher tech who still use dumb phones, and international travelers making the FP system available to an elitist few.

While I do see them updating and going to a new system-they clearly want to get away from anything paper based just like the discontinuation of Disney dollars-what they are explaining in that article won't work at DL so I'll wait for the official announcement from Disney and hope that they have a much more solid plan with contingencies for all the issues.

Now all that being said it sure would be nice to get a FP from CA without having to walk all the way over there from DL. I walked over to ToT from DL several times because the app said that it had FP only to find that it didnt and hadnt had them all day-for days. It would have been nice not to have to shlep all the kids down there and exit one park and enter another. If I could have gotten that info or gotten my FP while watching my little one in Jedi training or while waiting for PP of HM or while waiting for my bill at BB it would have been very nice indeed ad feet would have been very grateful.

Last edited:
I've got a wireless verizon router so I'm not worried about the Wi-Fi. If they have magic bands I will live with it but don't like the limitations they have on it at WDW. If they have magic bands at least I will know how to use them.

Since DL does not offer free WIFI to utilize the app while in the park, and the app has issues and doesn't work that well in the park now for things as simple as photopass I seriously see this not working. Think about how frustrating it is to login to the pier network WIFI to play the fun wheel challenge while waiting for WOC. Neither I nor anyone around me was able to log in and play a few weeks ago. there attempt to have people at DL log in to a wireless program while in the park sucks. Everyone will complain-it will be essentially inaccessible to people without unlimited data plans, seniors/anyone on a fixed income or uncomfortable with higher tech who still use dumb phones, and international travelers making the FP system available to an elitist few.

While I do see them updating and going to a new system-they clearly want to get away from anything paper based just like the discontinuation of Disney dollars-what they are explaining in that article won't work at DL so I'll wait for the official announcement from Disney and hope that they have a much more solid plan with contingencies for all the issues.

Now all that being said it sure would be nice to get a FP from CA without having to walk all the way over there from DL. I walked over to ToT from DL several times because the app said that it had FP only to find that it didnt and hadnt had them all day-for days. It would have been nice not to have to shlep all the kids down there and exit one park and enter another. If I could have gotten that info or gotten my FP while watching my little one in Jedi training or while waiting for PP of HM or while waiting for my bill at BB it would have been very nice indeed ad feet would have been very grateful.
Thankfully they are planning roll out of this in NOV, see if it works, work out kinks before JAN for our JAN Disers.

While I fully have reservations with this new system being improved..cough cough, I'm more interested in seeing schedule for entertainment in JAN. Already saw Paint the night coming back for some dates in NOV & Dec. Would love it if this show ran in JAN too.:yay:

Thankfully they are planning roll out of this in NOV, see if it works, work out kinks before JAN for our JAN Disers.

While I fully have reservations with this new system being improved..cough cough, I'm more interested in seeing schedule for entertainment in JAN. Already saw Paint the night coming back for some dates in NOV & Dec. Would love it if this show ran in JAN too.:yay:

Ever since they said PTN would be back for the holidays I have been hoping that it will be there for the ENTIRE holiday season including the first week of January.

I am also very excited to see the new holiday WOC which sounds like it is going to be very good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter