January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part I !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our first trip to WDW will be:

Me: 28
DS: 31
DS: 23

They are still having a hard time believing i'm really treating them to Disney, though with each payment I make it is becoming more and more real to all of us. Brenda, the oldest, works so hard as a home health pediatric coordinator and makes just barely enough money to live on. My younger sister faces many health problems and is unable to work. This is a very special trip for all of us and will likely not happen again for a very long time, especially now that my school loan payments are about to start up!

We really can't wait! :cheer2:

Yay, a fortysomething, Laumau! I was feeling rather ancient.

We're not going as a family trip, per se -- this started as a trip with friends from church and we love each other like family. We are as follows:

Me [41 by then]
Friend David [41 - he's the one who had the idea to go to WDW in the first place - now I'm the one all excited about it!]
Friend John [42]
Friend Brandy [she will turn 26 while we're in WDW]
Her DH Daniel [25]
Brandy's DSis Cassidy [12]
Brandy and Daniel's DS [9 mos in January]

Back story:
I've known Brandy since before she was born. Her grandparents and parents and I have all gone to the same church for years and years. I taught Brandy in Sunday School from the time she was 7 until she was a junior in high school! [kept promoting myself to a higher level because I liked our little class so much] She was in our youth group when I was a leader and has since become one of my closest friends. I was so delighted that she married someone who loved our church - they're both so dear and now have the sweetest little boy.

Anyway, I know their lives will change as their family grows so I am so excited to have this opportunity to spend time with them.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with John [42] -- last time I went on a trip with him [to a wedding in FL], he slept the entire time! Like, maybe he made it to the wedding but not much else!

So, most of us are not related by blood but we're crazy about each other. Or maybe just crazy! :rolleyes1

Ya know, for years everyone thought I looked much younger than I was - it aggravated me to pieces! Then, almost overnight, people started asking me things like - are these teenagers yours? [I was helping with the youth group at church but was still too young to be their mothers!] I had advanced several decades apparently. :scared1:

So, enjoy that looking younger thing as long as possible because it is really disconcerting when it changes courses on you.

last post because I have to get back to work....

thank you petuniamilz for letting us know about your son. It must be difficult to open up about things like that. We will be praying for your family. Keep us posted on how you all are doing.

Yay, a fortysomething, Laumau! I was feeling rather ancient.

:lmao:

Well, I think we win the age Olympics. Put it this way, DH and I went on our first trip to WDW in 1986, and we got married in 1987. I knew him for 6 years before we got married, so you do the math :scared1: I realize most of you were in diapers then :rotfl:

Anyway, here's our family
ME, Sharon (4x????), I won't grow up
DH, Mike (5x???), he won't grow up either!
DS, Shawn (13 with autism spectrum disorder/PDD-NOS and HUGE Disney Fan)
DD, Lauren (turns 8 during the trip)

Yes, I have been asked if she's my Grandaughter!!! Sometimes nature needs a little nudge and takes a little longer. DD was our last chance at conventional fertility - we were going in vitro next cycle. She was conceived on Good Friday in April 2000. Not quite a miracle baby, but close!

We've tried to convince my parents to join us, but they think it's all kid stuff and they wouldn't enjoy themselves. They've never understood why we went so often. I think the kids would love to have them there, but we can't change their minds.

Haha! :lmao: And I look all of 16, which is actually terribly annoying!

But my DH is older than most of yours. That has to count for something!:goodvibes

I know what you mean!! I think it's the long hair! I used to get that all the time, until I recently got 12 inches cut off!!

We don't drink much, but once in a long while I will order a drink when we go out to dinner without the kids. . . I think it was last August I ordered a drink at Red Lobster and got carded!! :rotfl: I was 34!!! DH was like - did she think I was your father or what???!!! :lmao:

We will be traveling with:

me (34)
DH (34)
DD (5)
DD (1)
my mom (54)
stepdad (52)

My mom and stepdad are taking our family for a Christmas present. We've had a rough year, our DS (2) passed away in May and we need a vacation.

OH!!! I am soo sorry. I will pray for you!! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Okay, our traveling cast includes:
DH-42
Me-34
DS-12 (13 in Dec.)
DS -9
DD--5

I have always looked young for my age. It runs in my family--my grandfather will be 80 in Feb. and people have a hard time believing he isn't a young 60-something.His wife is 55, so that helps too!! I have grandparents and aunts/uncles on both sides of that family who lived to be over 100!!! My great-granny died when she was 86 & her bro. and sis. thought it was soooo sad 'cause she was just a baby.!! They were way up in their 90s.!!!
I had my oldest at 21 and everybody thought I was about 13--people would ask (very rudely)...And how old are YOU!! When I said 21! They would say, oh, we thought you were a kid!! I still think I look younger than 34, but at least I don't look 15 with all these kids!!

Glad to know people share my pain!

The other day at the nail salon, someone commented on my "fabulous, fake" wedding ring and asked why I wore it. When I told her that it was real and that I was, in fact, a wife AND a mother and very much old enough to be both, she was extremely embarrassed.

My biggest issue is having people talk down to me and not value my opinion because they think I have the wisdom and maturity level of a 16 year old.

Getting of my soapbox now.....:)

It will pay off in the long run. My mom is 50 and very pretty and we can still share clothes. :goodvibes

My mom and stepdad are taking our family for a Christmas present. We've had a rough year, our DS (2) passed away in May and we need a vacation.

I can't imagine what that must have been like. So sorry for your loss. :hug: Looks like you can count on the snowbirds though!

Well here goes...

Me (22 next month) :eek:
DBF (22)

We still have a few years of school left between major changes and grad school. And since we both agreed that marriage is still a while off we thought this would be a good time for a vacation :woohoo: Good thing he loves me so much or there's no way he'd be going to Disney, he still thinks its for little kids. :sad2: I'm sure he'll grow to love it :p I plan on talking him into DVC eventually...:rolleyes1 I know I'll want to take my future kids, plus we could even go other places besides disney with the points :scared1:

So we have our plane tickets. I'm just praying airtran doesn't screw it up. I've flown with them before without problems but they have already changed times once. Anyway we're waiting to book our package for about a month. It will be my birthday present to me :goodvibes My tutoring job starts in less than 2 weeks and our loan money will be coming in at the end of September. I told my mom I wanted disney dollars for my birthday and christmas :rotfl:

So there's my whole story. I know I don't talk much but I sure ready every word and I feel like I know all of you!

So sorry for your loss, Petuiamilz.

Our traveling cast will just be the three of us.
DH~Will be 34 at travel time
Me~will be 33 at travel time
DS~just turned 4 on Tuesday!

The other day at the nail salon, someone commented on my "fabulous, fake" wedding ring and asked why I wore it. When I told her that it was real and that I was, in fact, a wife AND a mother and very much old enough to be both, she was extremely embarrassed.

My biggest issue is having people talk down to me and not value my opinion because they think I have the wisdom and maturity level of a 16 year old.

It will pay off in the long run. My mom is 50 and very pretty and we can still share clothes. :goodvibes

I know, people always assume I'm still in high school. It's my round face and chubby cheeks... thanks dad! :rotfl2: People have actually refused to believe that I am in fact older than my 2 younger sisters who are 18 and 20. I got carded for a R-rated movie not too long ago. And when I went to grab some beer at a gas station the girl thought I was one of those tests they do to catch people selling to underage kids. Sometimes at the bar I get carded at the door then AGAIN at the bar because they just can't believe it :confused3 I know I should appreciate it but it sure can be frustrating!

Well, I don't get carded anymore, but I like to think that I don't look my age - LOL! (Let's just say that I can't believe I had a 50th birthday party a few years ago - Yikes:scared1:

Haven't been on here in about a week - but now DD is all moved back to college, school has started for me, but now have the long weekend before going back to work on Tuesday. Had today off, too, and spent a glorious 4 hours at the beach by myself!! Just plugged in the IPOD, read a magazine and book, and relaxed. DH was at work and I had the day to do whatever I wanted. It was nice!

Now, back to planning the last few ADR's that I haven't done yet, and I just added a ticker, so now it is getting me excited to see that we will be at WDW in just a few short months.:yay:

Have a great long weekend, everyone!

I know we discussed extended family yesterday, but I would like to know who everyone is traveling with on their upcoming trip to Disney. :goodvibes I feel like I'm getting to know everyone and I want to know what your trips will be like.

Our trip:
DH :goofy: (will be 40 and we will be celebrating the occasion at Disney)
Me princess: (27)

For the whole trip:
DH: 35
Me: 31 (now - will be 32+5 days, then)

For the marathon weekend:
Mom, Dad, brother (30), Mother-in-Law, Father-in-Law (I'm not going to give the parent ages - my parents are coming up on "sensitive" birthdays this year ;))

I do take after my dad and I look MUCH younger than my 31. I'm often mistaken for an undergrad (I work on a college campus) by my faculty. I'd like to AT LEAST be mistaken for a graduate student.

But, in the whole talking down thing... my coworker, a lovely woman, is 23. She's tiny, she sounds young... and she was discharged from the hospital, after being sent to the ER by her doctor for extreme pain. The doctor scoffed at her, told her there's no explanation but it's not going to kill her, and sent her home. A few of us, who spent time advocating (and finally convinced her to get an advocate), know that if she'd just looked/sounded older that there was a better chance she'd have been taken seriously.

So it can be a real drawback at times to look so young.

And I just want to look as old as a graduate student! ;)

Yay, question of the day!

On our trip there is me (27), and DH (29). :thumbsup2

We were married last December... No babies yet, but maybe next time we go to Disney World in a few years - who knows!!? :)

Today I'm really craving some creme brulee. Bring on Disney!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter