January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part I !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 12.34am here in Australia, and I should be in bed, but instead I'm watching the Olympics. Some Aussie dude just won the pole vaulting. Yay!

Oh these Olympics are killing me!!! Why is everything on so late??? Tuesday night I stayed up late watching gymnastics, Wednesday night I stayed up late watching beach volleyball. Last night I didn't even turn it on, I went to bed at 10:30!

And I never noticed that there were so many sports in the Olympics before. . . BMX racing. . . Trampoline. . . Synchronized diving. . .

Goodmoring everyone! I just wanted to thank all of those who prayed for my Grandpa. He made it through the surgery and is doing great.:yay: I wish you guys could meet him. He is exactly how you would imagine an ole' southern farmer. Tough as a boot! He is in his mid-seventies and has terminal colon cancer. In the past three years, he's many through more surgeries than I can count (including a triple bi-pass.) He parks his tractor outside of his bedroom for inspiration when he gets home from the hospital and has continued farming despite his circumstances. (Seriously! He will probably be riding again next week!) I just think he's amazing and wanted to brag on him for a moment.:goodvibes

He sounds like quite the character! Glad to hear he's doing well. :hug:

Oh these Olympics are killing me!!! Why is everything on so late??? Tuesday night I stayed up late watching gymnastics, Wednesday night I stayed up late watching beach volleyball. Last night I didn't even turn it on, I went to bed at 10:30!

And I never noticed that there were so many sports in the Olympics before. . . BMX racing. . . Trampoline. . . Synchronized diving. . .

My name is Laura and I'm an Olympic-aholic. :lmao:

Hi!

I am going in January 10-16 in an ASMu suite with DH & our three kids! This is our first time as a family, my step-daughters first time and also my son's first time. I am so excited :woohoo: My girls are so excited to have their own bathroom!!

This board has been soooo helpful in planning- with 3 kids in tow I really don't want to just "wing it". I made my ADR's already, got everything we wanted!

Jan 10- Kona Cafe dinner
Jan 11- Chef Mickeys dinner
Jan 12- Sci Fi Dine In lunch
Jan 13- Ohana breakfast
Jan 13- Whispering Canyon dinner
Jan 14- Ohana dinner
Jan 15- Le Cellier dinner

Michelle

Hi Michelle! :goodvibes WELCOME to the DIS and to the Snowbirds!! :cool1:

Sounds like a great trip you have planned! How exciting for the kids to see WDW for the first time! I think we have quite a few Snowbirds staying at the ASMu suites!!

Your ADR's look great! I will get you added to the list!

Well, today I've been up to my eyeballs in laundry and e-mails. I also need to make a few phone calls, but I've been avoiding that. :scared:

Just settling back into the routine and trying to figure out when I need to go buy school books for my kids! I kept the information paper for 3 months and then one day it was no longer on the fridge. I suspect my youngest. one of her favorite hobbies is throwing things away.

~~Carrie

Carrie,

Your trip sounds amazing! I would love to visit Jordan one day. One of the girls in our youth group at church was telling me about the delicious ketchup flavored potato chips.:)

My name is Laura and I'm an Olympic-aholic. :lmao:

We had a slumber party for the High School girls at church last Saturday (I am a high school youth counselor) and we watched the Olympics.

Can I just that I was rooting for Russia because I liked their jackets? :headache: (Okay... going to hide now!) Hehe!!!

Hi!

I am going in January 10-16 in an ASMu suite with DH & our three kids! This is our first time as a family, my step-daughters first time and also my son's first time. I am so excited :woohoo: My girls are so excited to have their own bathroom!!

This board has been soooo helpful in planning- with 3 kids in tow I really don't want to just "wing it". I made my ADR's already, got everything we wanted!

Jan 10- Kona Cafe dinner
Jan 11- Chef Mickeys dinner
Jan 12- Sci Fi Dine In lunch
Jan 13- Ohana breakfast
Jan 13- Whispering Canyon dinner
Jan 14- Ohana dinner
Jan 15- Le Cellier dinner

Michelle

Sorry girls! Should have done a multi-quote post. You got me distracted thinking about male swimmers......

Hi Michelle!!!! Welcome to our fun and friendly family. I can't wait to hear your report on Kona Cafe. It sounds amazing! You are going to have a blast!:yay:

Carrie,

Your trip sounds amazing! I would love to visit Jordan one day. One of the girls in our youth group at church was telling me about the delicious ketchup flavored potato chips.:)

Jordan is an amazing place...so different from anything I grew up with in central PA. And now they have ketchup flavored corn puffs...like cheese curls without the cheese!:rotfl:

Hi Snowbirds,

I'm so excited, my ticker is under 5 months, my monorail is all the way past the first Mickey balloon!!!

I'm running out of planning things to do for a while. I've read most of the pertinent threads on the boards, read almost every page on the Dis and AllEars. I've got two binders full of information to take with me on the trip so now what? :confused3

I'm thinking my next step is doing daily calendar days and filling in EMH and parade and show times, then maybe I can start thinking about ADRs. I know a lot of you have all your ADRs, but since my kids have never been there, I don't know what type of experience they'll want - character or not, activities or quiet meals?

I'm thinking about these restaurants:
1. Chef Mickey's
2. Whispering Canyon Cafe OR Trail's End (mostly for the ribs)
3. Tusker House for Breakfast
4. Boma for dinner and animal savannah viewing
5. Polynesian - not sure if we want the character breakfast, or regular meal, but DH absolutely wants to try Tonga Toast!

I feel kind of frozen with fear or something - where do I go from here? I can't imagine planning each day in advance. I expected to decide what to do in our room the night before we actually do it, but I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

What do you all do - what is the method to your madness in planning a trip? :confused:

Hi Snowbirds,

I'm so excited, my ticker is under 5 months, my monorail is all the way past the first Mickey balloon!!!

I'm running out of planning things to do for a while. I've read most of the pertinent threads on the boards, read almost every page on the Dis and AllEars. I've got two binders full of information to take with me on the trip so now what? :confused3

I'm thinking my next step is doing daily calendar days and filling in EMH and parade and show times, then maybe I can start thinking about ADRs. I know a lot of you have all your ADRs, but since my kids have never been there, I don't know what type of experience they'll want - character or not, activities or quiet meals?

I'm thinking about these restaurants:
1. Chef Mickey's
2. Whispering Canyon Cafe OR Trail's End (mostly for the ribs)
3. Tusker House for Breakfast
4. Boma for dinner and animal savannah viewing
5. Polynesian - not sure if we want the character breakfast, or regular meal, but DH absolutely wants to try Tonga Toast!

I feel kind of frozen with fear or something - where do I go from here? I can't imagine planning each day in advance. I expected to decide what to do in our room the night before we actually do it, but I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

What do you all do - what is the method to your madness in planning a trip? :confused:

I know it is hard deciding what to do and when. . . On our first trip we hardly planned anything, we made 2 ADR's and decided on where to go the night before in the hotel room. :sad2: We will never do that again!! We missed so much that way. Our family really does better on a schedule. But when I say schedule, I mean that I plan out where we are going in advance and what all we would like to accomplish that day and so on, BUT I am not absolutely tied to that schedule, you always have to leave a little extra room in there in case you get off track or if something unexpected happens. :goodvibes

Did that help at all??? :rotfl:

WOOOOOHOOOOO today I opened my email and got a PIN code for 20% my stay. I'm so very excited :cool1: :cool1: I have 15% off with AAA but its only off the room and I'm hoping this is off the entire package. I want to move to CR in an MK view room and it may be doable on atrium level with this discount IF its off the entire package...we'll see. My AAA TA is checking now :cool1: :cool1:
Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!!!

WOOOOOHOOOOO today I opened my email and got a PIN code for 20% my stay. I'm so very excited :cool1: :cool1: I have 15% off with AAA but its only off the room and I'm hoping this is off the entire package. I want to move to CR in an MK view room and it may be doable on atrium level with this discount IF its off the entire package...we'll see. My AAA TA is checking now :cool1: :cool1:
Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!!!

You got a code for January already??? :yay:

You got a code for January already??? :yay:

It is from my saved vacation. I keep going to Disney and looking for an MK view room at CR and they sent me that saved reservation with a PIN that says book now. But I think its deceptive. My TA is looking into it. when you click the discount it comes up under my saved reservation with all of my dates and the CR room I'm looking at however when you click on it a few more times it gives you dates for 08 so I'm not really sure why its you have to click on the flexible dates thing 4 times before it will bring up the 08 dates. I forwarded her the email so she could read it. It doesn't give specific dates under the PIN codes or anything...and again when you click save 20% it brings up my exact reservation and dates I want. :confused3 :confused3 Probably just trying to get me excited for no reason :rotfl: :rotfl: Would have made my day had I been able to use it for Jan already :rotfl: We'll see what she comes back with.

Hi Snowbirds,

I think you should at least think of a couple places you want to go and get ADR's. Some may be hard to get and the longer you wait even more hard. You have some good choices.

I know the last few months with not much to do I have just worked on a schedule. Not a tight schedule but a loose one. Last year was our first time to WDW and so we didn't have much of a schedule. I knew what I wanted to do at each park but once I walked into each park I became kind of lost! So this year I have studied maps a bit more. I know which rides I want to get to first to avoid long lines. I am going to post my schedule here soon. it is mostly just where we are going each day and where we are eating.

I have been trying to find a photopass share for January but am having a hard time finding one! Prices increase Monday so I want to get in on one!!! Does anyone know of any open? Thanks in advance!

I have been trying to find a photopass share for January but am having a hard time finding one! Prices increase Monday so I want to get in on one!!! Does anyone know of any open? Thanks in advance!

Can you give me more info about the price increase or tell me where I can read about it?

I just booked the GF for 1/10-1/14. :woohoo: This is a treat to myself for my 55th B-day on the 20th. I booked a room only using AAA and saved $67 a night over rack rate. I really wanted the CR as I've never stayed there but they had nothing avail with AAA and the only on line was the atrium level and I really did not want to spend that much.
I was only able to get a garden view at the GF, no MK view available. But hey is the GF so I won't complain. I'll check again once the AP rates come out and try for a MK view at either the GF or the CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter