January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part I !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm sure it will be too cold for water parks or swimming for us adults! Now the kids on the other hand will probably be just fine!

Miabella - Good Luck with the marathon! pixiedust:

We're January 2009ers also! The big girls have been there twice; this will be the little girls' first trip to Disney, and my DH and I are really looking forward to it! He was surprised at how much fun he had the first time we visited Disney--he truly dreaded it--but he enjoyed it so much that he wanted to return the following year!

We're staying at SOG from 2 January through 9 January--and we managed to make all the ADR's we were after yesterday (on your 7 July)! I think the CM with whom I spoke felt sorry for me since I was 1. calling from Singapore and 2. had two sets of twins, so after I got my 180-day-out ressie at CRT at 8:10 on 3 January, she let me reserve Chef Mickey's on the 5th (8:15), Wonderland Tea on the 6th, and Crystal Palace on the 8th (late lunch). We weren't able to get the Fantasmic Dinner Package since none of those ressies had been released yet.

We're not doing more TS meals than that since the five-year-olds really don't like sitting around waiting to eat, and the big girls just graze anyway! I need to figure out what we're going to do food-wise when we visit Epcot . . .

Looking foward to chatting with you!

WOW look at us, already up to 5 pages of January Snowbird chatter!! :hyper2:

So for you experienced Snowbird's, do I need to pack a lot of jeans and winter coats and gloves??? I am really dreading all the extra packing. I was thinking that just a heavy sweatshirt type jacket would be good, but I hear some people say that they needed their winter coats! :eek: I sure don't want to pack and haul all that bulky stuff if I don't have to! What about capri's? Would they be good for most days?

Welcome 4girls2sets!! :goodvibes Wow you are so blessed to have 4 beautiful little girls! How exciting for the little ones first trip! I'm sure it will be truly magical. Glad you got to make some ADR's.

If you are looking for a good CS meal at Epcot, Electric Umbrella is nice and fast and simple. If you decide to go TS, LeCellier is the best!

Look forward to chatting with you!

Just read this on another thread. Someone e-mailed WDW to ask about the 2009 rates and the DDP:

"Each year, our Product Development Department reviews all components
offered under each package name. This determines the packages and
components included for the following year. At this time, room rates
and packages for 2009 have not been announced. Please check back in
mid-August for updated information."

So there you have it, mid-August for 2009 rates and no response about the DDP. :confused3

January Snowbirds! :cool1:

Towers5 ~ Dec 28-Jan 9 ???
Ccfmioa ~ Dec 30-Jan 8 ASMo
Maplemouse ~ Jan 1-5 ???
Tink1978 ~ Jan 1-7 POFQ
4girls2sets ~ Jan 2-9 SOG
Miabellarose ~ Jan 3-11 ASMu
Ehm1129 ~ Jan 5-16 ASMo
Kaos928 ~ Jan 6-12 POP/POR
Kiteri ~ Jan 16-24 FW
Sixisenough ~ Jan 17-24 AKL
Jenkh ~ Jan 17-31 BWV/AKV
Splashmtncrew ~ Jan 18-24 WL
Momof2disneyboys ~ Jan 21-27 ASMo
Trixiequilts ~ Jan 21-28 AKL
MickeyNicki ~ Jan 22-26 Poly
Remmy ~ Jan 25-Feb 7 POP
Cinderellamom123 ~ Jan ???
Tinkerbelluk ~ Jan ???
Ppan77 ~ Jan ???

Hi Shelly,
You will be fine with just sweatshirts, and wearing capris. Wintercoats will not be necessary unless they get some really bad weather. Trust me coming from the north, it will feel fabulous!! You can always buy some Mickey gear if needed. You may even get lucky enought and get some 80's and get to wear shorts, our last trip that is all I wore.

For the poster that wanted to do the water parks, usually only 1 park is open at that time of year and times are limited to about 9-5. There was one day in early Feb last year that my kids really wanted to go, it was mid 80's, but we decided against it. We will be going here in 2 weeks, so I will report back what they are like.

Take care, Evie

Alright need some advice with planning. Since the rates for 09 arent out yet and we cant even book for adr's until 90 days out should I just wait until mid August to make my reservations at the Poly?? Or should I go ahead and put down a deposit for our room and make it a package later??

Also which week would you do in January for least crowds?

Hi Shelly,
You will be fine with just sweatshirts, and wearing capris. Wintercoats will not be necessary unless they get some really bad weather. Trust me coming from the north, it will feel fabulous!! You can always buy some Mickey gear if needed. You may even get lucky enought and get some 80's and get to wear shorts, our last trip that is all I wore.

Take care, Evie

Thanks Evie! Good to hear. I agree, it should feel pretty darn good coming from the north!

Do you know if any of the Pop Warner, cheerleading, or football stuff is going on in January? I was thinking that stuff happens in either Dec or Jan. . .

Alright need some advice with planning. Since the rates for 09 arent out yet and we cant even book for adr's until 90 days out should I just wait until mid August to make my reservations at the Poly?? Or should I go ahead and put down a deposit for our room and make it a package later??

Also which week would you do in January for least crowds?

I am not making my reservations yet. . . My feeling is that the less reservations they have the better of a deal they might offer!! :wizard:

I'm not sure when will be the least busiest time in Jan. I'd say either the second week or the time in-between MLK and the Superbowl. :confused3

Can I just take a moment to say how disappointed I am about both the hours not being available and ADR's changing to 90 days? I was really hoping to have most of my major planning done (round one at least) before my 180 day mark. :mad: And now knowing that we all have to wait more than a month to hear officially about the new DDP! There sure are a bunch of rumors about that, aren't there? Now at least most of us will know about the
DDP before our 90 day mark.

I do have the hours from last year, but it doesn't seem as fun drawing up "maybe" plans:laughing: .

Here's a question for you all: it's our first trip (me, DH, DD8, DD6), we have 6 full and 2 half days available for the parks. Based on timing and the ages of the girls, would you try to do all four major parks? And how would you divide your time? Thanks for the advice!!

Oh my it is really hot here today! Nearing 90! :eek: So I have been sitting inside in the air conditioning and working on my scrapbook from my May trip. Can you believe that I took over 600 pictures??? Plus all the photopass CD pics! :faint:

Yes Trixie, we all feel your pain and frustration! :headache: Feel free to vent!! That's what we're here for!

I think you can definitely do all 4 parks plus DTD in that amount of time. Do you plan to do full days in the parks or half days? We usually leave 2 days open for MK. One day we go at opening and stay until after the 3:00 parade. The other day we go sometime in the mid-afternoon and stay until closing and watch Wishes. Epcot we go for most of the day, but not all day. Either open until after dinner (6 or 7ish) or we go at lunchtime and stay until close. DHS can be done in a half day. And there really isn't much for us at AK, so we usually only go there for about 3-4 hours. If there is one thing I must say - Don't miss DTD!!!!! It is a destination all in it's own. As a matter of fact we usually end up there 2-3 times each trip! It is just a lot of fun and we really enjoy the atmosphere. The kids love to stop and play in the sprinklers at the entrance to Marketplace. And there are so many fun shops and restaurants. Not to mention Goofy's Candy Co! :goofy:

Doing the parks in half days also give us time to enjoy our resort. Just time to relax and swim or do whatever. I know a lot of people go from open to close in the parks everyday they are there to get the most for their money! While I could do that, the rest of my family could not! My boys will be 9 & 7 on this next trip and I know they still won't be able to do it. Although I'm hoping to get a little more cooperation out of them this time since it won't be so dang hot!

I'm not sure how we are going to fit everything in this time with just 5 days plus maybe a few hours the day we depart for home, depending on the flight time I get. But DH only wants to take 4 vacation days from work this time. So we will probably only go to MK one day and maybe skip AK. . . We'll see. . . Some park hours sure would help!! :lmao:

I'm a January DIS'er too! It's our family's first trip to Disney ever and we're so excited. January seems ages away to the kids but not to me- I'm really enjoying the planning- it's appealing to the type A side of me. :rotfl:

I am anxiously awaiting the hours coming out too! I have my ADR's made already and an itinerary of which park and which day and so forth. We're planning on doing all four parks and DTD during our 7 day stay.

Looking forward to discussing plans with all of you! :thumbsup2

I'm a January DIS'er too! It's our family's first trip to Disney ever and we're so excited. January seems ages away to the kids but not to me- I'm really enjoying the planning- it's appealing to the type A side of me. :rotfl:

I am anxiously awaiting the hours coming out too! I have my ADR's made already and an itinerary of which park and which day and so forth. We're planning on doing all four parks and DTD during our 7 day stay.

Looking forward to discussing plans with all of you! :thumbsup2

Welcome Laumau! Congrats on your first WDW trip!! :woohoo:

Glad you got to make your ADR's!

Maplemouse ~ Jan 1-5 ???
Tink1978 ~ Jan 1-7 POFQ
Laumau ~ Jan 1-7 WL
Ehm1129 ~ Jan 5-16 ASMo
Kiteri ~ Jan 16-24 FW
Remmy ~ Jan 25-Feb 7 POP
Tinkerbelluk ~ Jan ???
Ppan77 ~ Jan ???

Going in January also! We'll be there January 4-17 staying at POR. It's our first time staying onsite and we can't wait!

Maplemouse ~ Jan 1-5 ???
Tink1978 ~ Jan 1-7 POFQ
Laumau ~ Jan 1-7 WL
Dinah439 ~ Jan 4-17 POR
Ehm1129 ~ Jan 5-16 ASMo
Kiteri ~ Jan 16-24 FW
Remmy ~ Jan 25-Feb 7 POP
Tinkerbelluk ~ Jan ???
Ppan77 ~ Jan ???

Do you know if any of the Pop Warner, cheerleading, or football stuff is going on in January? I was thinking that stuff happens in either Dec or Jan. . . [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I know that Pop Warner is the beginning of December, don't know about the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter