January 19, 2013 Wonder, 5-night (Cozumel and Castaway Cay)

Cackyschmackers said:
Thanks, SirGoofy; Wondering if you or anyone can answer this question: We are doing this same itinerary next Jan. We've done 7- and 8-night cruises on the Magic and always had a character breakfast. Does anyone know if this itinerary has a character breakfast? I was told prob. not on the 5-nights. Thanks in advance!

:cheer2:

No. We didn't have a character breakfast on our five night cruise. I think character breakfasts are only for the longer ones. As an aside, we didn't have a formal (or informal) night either. ... FWIW, we really enjoyed the 5 night as it was a little more relaxed than 4 night DCL cruises and more informal than the longer ones that have formal & informal nights.

Www.***************** has links to the navigators from our cruise, if you want to see the details.

Hope this helps.

canadian2013 said:
Thanks so much for this review, Sir Goofy. My husband, 10 year old son, and I will be taking this cruise in March and I loved reading what you have to say!

Canadian2013, thanks for the compliment. :-). FYI, www.***************** has posted the navigators from our cruise, if you want to see the details.

Hope you enjoy your cruise. We loved ours and had hoped to do another one on the Wonder in March. But, a silly thing like work got in the way. ;-)

Again thanks for the feedback!

PS-- www dot castawayclub dot com takes one to the homepage. But, a more direct link is: www dot disneycruiser dot info/w130119/w4day0.html

Thanks, SirGoofy!! (as you can see, I ended up finding this thread, search or no search ;-) ). Thanks for this helpful info; I am bummed b/c I thought there was one formal night; is there an "optional dress-up" night? i don't know why I thought I saw one formal night on a navigator somewhere someone posted. Or maybe the optional dress up. Do they still have the photographers that night to take family portratis? Thanks again!

Cackyschmackers said:
Thanks, SirGoofy!! (as you can see, I ended up finding this thread, search or no search ;-) ). Thanks for this helpful info; I am bummed b/c I thought there was one formal night; is there an "optional dress-up" night? i don't know why I thought I saw one formal night on a navigator somewhere someone posted. Or maybe the optional dress up. Do they still have the photographers that night to take family portratis? Thanks again!

Yes, there's an optional dress-up night; it's the same night as the Golden Mickeys. And, yes, the photographers have a couple of backdrops set up for taking family portraits.

SirGoofy said:
Subject: Overview

We (DW and I) enjoyed this itinerary and would (will) definitely do it again.

The Basics: 5-Night, Itinerary A
- Embarkation, Port of Miami, Terminal F (Saturday)
- Sea Day (Sunday)
- Cozumel (Monday)
- Sea Day (Tuesday)
- Castaway Cay (Wednesday)
- Debarkation, Port of Miami (Thursday)

Subject: Getting to the Port and Terminal

We drove from the Orlando area and used the old fashioned method -- maps and written directions from the DCL website.

The directions to the port provided on the DCL website were accurate and simple to follow. (FYI, the directions on the DCL website are different from those on the Port of Miami website.)

Our cruise started on a Saturday, so traffic wasnt too bad. But, if you are traveling on a typical work day, we recommend you allow extra time for sitting in traffic. (When we were leaving Miami on Thursday after the cruise, I-95 south from Sun Life Stadium to the end of the express lanes was very slow and, in some places, at a complete stand still.)

The other thing to keep in mind is availability of gas stations. The closest gas station to the port we found along our Florida Turnpike/I-95 route was the southernmost Turnpike Service Plaza (Pompano Beach Service Plaza, mile marker 65), which is about 38 miles away from the port. Next time, Ill get gas on the way to Miami -- maybe we will exit at mile maker 152 (Fort Pierce exit), as there are several gas stations and fast food restaurants available.

Subject: Getting to the Terminal

After crossing the bridge at the port, the trick is to watch for and follow the signs to the correct terminal: The Disney Wonder was at Terminal F. The sign for our turn said Parking for Terminals F and G, but it didnt indicate that was also the way to go to drop off guests. So, if you miss it, just keep going and youll drive around the entire length of the passenger port.

Dropping DW and our luggage off at Terminal F was easy. The parking structure is opposite Terminal G, which was less than a 10 minute walk back to F.

If you drop folks off, be sure the you keep some document that proves you are going on the cruise. My DW had our cruise documents and passports, so all I had was my drivers license, which would have been sufficient at Port Canaveral. But, the security person at the Terminal F entrance didnt want to let me through, because they expected me to have the Disney Cruise booklet with documents inside. I got in, but it was a bit of a hassle.

Subject: Parking

We opted to park at the port and pay the hefty $20 a day. There certainly were cheaper options, but all of the off-port parking locations we investigated or saw (except one) were merely fenced in lots and we werent comfortable leaving our vehicle in a fenced in lot. The one location that had interior parking didnt start its free shuttle to the port until 11:00 am, and we wanted to checked in by 11:00. So, for us, parking at Terminal G met our needs.

Subject: Checking in at the terminal and boarding

Check in was easy and relatively quick. (My wife was checked in by 10:45 and I was checked in by 11:15.)

The terminal waiting area is a long and relatively narrow area. The check in line for the youth activities was after the cruise check in area. And, beyond that was a character meet and greet area and the boarding area.

Disney started boarding the Wonder at 11:30 and the process was very smooth and easy. We entered on Deck 4, mid-ship and proceeded to our favorite restaurant, Parrot Cay.

Subject: Access to our stateroom

We were told that staterooms would be ready no later than 2:00 pm. But, for our cruise, they were accessible at 1:30. We also received all of our luggage in early afternoon, which was quicker than on any of our previous cruises.

Subject: The cruise itself

We have previously sailed during a kids sail free promotion and, in the past we have found the children to be a pleasant contribution to the overall Disney atmosphere. But, this cruise had so many children sailing due to the kids sail free promotion that it was a bit overwhelming. (The children really werent the problem. The real annoyances were the large number of double wide strollers being used as battering rams by parents and unattended children being allowed to literally swing from the porthole drapes on Deck 3.)

Nonetheless, we had a wonderful time for several reasons, such as we found the pacing more comfortable and less rushed than a 4-night. It was fun seeing Captain Fabian again, as he is very personable and interested in guest comments. We thoroughly appreciated our dining room team as they were amazing: Kerry Sean from Jamica (Head Server), Quacey from Jamica (Server) and Theo from South Africa (Assistant Server). Kerry seems to have a sixth sense about everything happening in the dinning room and is able to make sure all is running smoothly. Quacey and Theo were always in sync with each other and consistently demonstrated collaborative teamwork.

We also enjoyed the shows in the Walt Disney Theater, as they were excellent. (There were a lot of first time Disney cruisers on our voyage and the early show [for second seating diners] was jam packed every night. It was somewhat frustrating that people kept arriving for almost the first half of each show and since it was so crowded, finding a place to sit was very difficult. As a consequence, they would wander up and down the aisles in search of open seats. Here too the kids were basically behaving, but some parents were inconsiderate and annoying -- like the father who attempted to reserve an entire center row for the people traveling with him.)

Another highlight of our cruise was our fun interaction with the characters. And, certainly our day at Castaway Cay was another high spot of our experience even though it was a bit chilly (high of 71 degrees and winds of 15-20 knots).

Unfortunately, the cruise was over before we knew it.

Subject: Debarkation, Thursday

In Miami, you cannot gain access to your luggage until after your luggage group (e.g., Ariel, Daisy Duck, Minnie Mouse, etc.) has been called. So, if you want an early departure, check with Guest Services to get the correct luggage tags. We were in the Goofy group and were the last group to be called for departing, which was okay as we were driving.

We quickly found our baggage claim area (there are three) and a porter. The bags were all on a very long conveyor belt, so we just waited until ours came along. Getting through immigration and customs was also easy.

The porter took our bags to the parking structure at Terminal G, I went up to the second level, brought our car back downstairs, the porter helped us load the bags, and we departed (after giving him a decent tip).

There was sufficient signage to get us back to I-95. And, north bound I-95 traffic flowed smoothly. (As already noted, the southbound I-95 traffic was a different story.)

We departed the ship at 9:00 and were driving away from the parking structure by 9:50. So, we were very pleased with the process.

I'll be glad to try to answer any questions you might have.

SirGoofy

Hi. Can you please mention which was the covered parking you mentioned?

NemoandAriel said:
Hi. Can you please mention which was the covered parking you mentioned?

The one covered parking location we found via Internet searches was: http://safecruiseparking.com But, we didn't park there as we wanted to be at the terminal by 11:00 instead of leaving the parking location at 11:00. Since we didn't use that facility, I can't rate it. Sorry.

We opted to pay the higher rate at the terminal because of its convenience. BTW, that parking was inside a multi-level parking structure with elevators.

Hope this helps.

Can you tell me what shows were on this itinerary? My daughter is looking forward to seeing Villains Tonight again.

Can you tell me what shows were on this itinerary? My daughter is looking forward to seeing Villains Tonight again.

The shows on our cruise were: Golden Mickeys, Toy Story the Musical, and Disney Dreams plus a pirate Night and then on the final night "Remember the Magic." My understanding is that Villians Tonight is only playing on the Fantasy and Dream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter